ADVERTISEMENT

If this happens it will be as predicted a few years ago.

MARSHALL77

Platinum Buffalo
May 29, 2001
At some point a few years ago I made mention of this possibly being considered down the road i.e. a playoff for the teams above 1-AA but not part of the major conference grouping , another division so to speak , basically a glorified 1-AA division , too big for one , not big enough for the other.

This would then produce yet another national championship series and hopefully one that would involve a playoff system much like 1-AA

Anyway here is an article of interest

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...ficials-considering-playoff-non-power-5-teams

While some of it has merit, it would create an official divide that can/would cause financial harm. Fine, let espn dictate this stuff, they already have to a point, but every institution that stands to be harmed should file a suit specifically against ESPN and the rest of the Power 5. They still created the monopoly that the non power 5 fought against with the BCS with no real sense of getting to a championship game for anyone else. If they really want to do this right, you set it up like basketball, each conference champion has a spot in a playoff, to round it out, have a play in game or something. Its not that difficult to see how it can and would work. Again, finances are at stake and the affected institutions need to protect their interests.

I know people wan to hold on to the concept that we play at the highest level and such, but the fact that WMU finished 13-0 with 2 P5 road wins and was ranked 15th tells you we will never be considered. Might as well have something better than the Boca Bowl to play for.

That's not the point Rock, the point is that 1A football is 1A football, the same as division 1 basketball is division 1 whether you are Duke or you are USC Upstate. Programs have invested millions upon millions to be at this level including Marshall. If they want to do things right in regards to playoff, there is no need to separate and form a new division, just increase the playoff field and do things similarly to basketball regarding conference champions and play in games. Bowls will always exist and be used for the playoff and then the others for the glad you didn't have a losing season teams. Why not press the issue for a real playoff system incorporating the bowls instead of conceding to the P5. It can be done and should be pushed for before anything else is considered.

My feeling all along was as Rock98Dog has stated - "we will never be considered"

The powers that be are not going to have the possibility arise where a team from one of the non power conferences could somehow be involved in even an 8 team playoff.

So back to the idea of the division above FCS ( 1-AA) but below FBS and the power conferences we go.

Personally I would much rather be ( forgetting about this season) in the mix for a national title than playing in an also ran early bowl game as is the general case with CUSA , more fun to play for a national title as most of us remember than to be in the Sweet Potato Pie Rhode Island National Mutual Farmers Association bowl. (this one to be added in 2017 to the never ending list of bowl games).

My feeling all along was as Rock98Dog has stated - "we will never be considered"

The powers that be are not going to have the possibility arise where a team from one of the non power conferences could somehow be involved in even an 8 team playoff.

So back to the idea of the division above FCS ( 1-AA) but below FBS and the power conferences we go.

Personally I would much rather be ( forgetting about this season) in the mix for a national title than playing in an also ran early bowl game as is the general case with CUSA , more fun to play for a national title as most of us remember than to be in the Sweet Potato Pie Rhode Island National Mutual Farmers Association bowl. (this one to be added in 2017 to the never ending list of bowl games).
I'll take a meaningless bowl trip to Florida or Nassau over a meaningless playoff game in Toledo or Kalamazoo!

That's not the point Rock, the point is that 1A football is 1A football, the same as division 1 basketball is division 1 whether you are Duke or you are USC Upstate. Programs have invested millions upon millions to be at this level including Marshall. If they want to do things right in regards to playoff, there is no need to separate and form a new division, just increase the playoff field and do things similarly to basketball regarding conference champions and play in games. Bowls will always exist and be used for the playoff and then the others for the glad you didn't have a losing season teams. Why not press the issue for a real playoff system incorporating the bowls instead of conceding to the P5. It can be done and should be pushed for before anything else is considered.

Yea. No it's not. In basketball EVERY D-IA team can play for an win a national title. It's tough but small teams can rise up and do the unthinkable.

In football NO team outside the P5 and even the bottom P5 can NEVER play for a national title. They are not permitted because of voters and pundits saying they do not belong.

So yea. D-I is not D-I in football the same as D-I is D-I in basketball.

We found in 2014 that other team's losses are better than another team's wins. What!?!

Herdmeister - verses what another MAC school or someone from another of the non invited list I'll take the run for the title if you will be stuck with that possibility , which exist more than not.

Would rather be known as a national champion even in a division below the power group than the winner of the Boca Bowl for sure as the mileage with being on tv multiple times through the playoffs to the national title game would be much better than hoping someone watches one of the lesser bowls.

Hey its just my humble opinion on the matter but Marshall needs to get real with who and what we are and that is not no matter what many wish for on the same level as the major conference schools , not schools with unlimited $$$ not schools that renovate a stadium and spend over $140 million in the process ( Texas A and M). Not going to happen and I have been around Marshall athletics for over 60 years, through the good times and bad..its not in the cards , be what we are not what we think we are or wish we were. Too many factors working against us.

Reactions: dangerousdaneerfan
Don't presume that players are excited to play an extra two or three games plus practice time. Most are not despite what might be stated for public consumption.

Reactions: andy4theherd
For sure Duke , we wouldn't want the players to become tired or do anything above the normal just because they are getting a scholarship.

For sure Duke , we wouldn't want the players to become tired or do anything above the normal just because they are getting a scholarship.

How many games are enough, 15-16-17-18. Surely you don't condone abusing players with over use and unneeded exposure to injury due to fatigue and/or increased physical stress. Many are playing to many games now all for a payday for the school. They need to be compensated with a salary if this trend continues, which it will. The genie is out of the bottle and the desire for money has completely overtaken university presidents.

How many games are enough, 15-16-17-18. Surely you don't condone abusing players with over use and unneeded exposure to injury due to fatigue and/or increased physical stress. Many are playing to many games now all for a payday for the school. They need to be compensated with a salary if this trend continues, which it will. The genie is out of the bottle and the desire for money has completely overtaken university presidents.
Many coaches at a variety of schools have told me the same thing. Many believe a 10-game season is long enough.

Reactions: GreenDuke
We played 15 games a season in 1-AA and did it with only 65 scholarship players.

Hey, if you get voted in the Top 4, or whatever it number it might someday expand to, by all means, go play for the big national championship. If not, which will be the case 99.99% of the time, why not have this. You say you don't want to play a meaningless game against Toledo, but you're cool with playing a meaningless game against UConn?

What if there was a $5MM per team payout for the championship game? What if it was a million for making the playoff, 2 million for a second round game, 3 million for the semi and $5 million for the final? What could we do with an extra $11MM? That's only $54MM a year in payout money and they could probably get it to that level.

Reactions: andy4theherd
We played 15 games a season in 1-AA and did it with only 65 scholarship players.

Hey, if you get voted in the Top 4, or whatever it number it might someday expand to, by all means, go play for the big national championship. If not, which will be the case 99.99% of the time, why not have this. You say you don't want to play a meaningless game against Toledo, but you're cool with playing a meaningless game against UConn?

What if there was a $5MM per team payout for the championship game? What if it was a million for making the playoff, 2 million for a second round game, 3 million for the semi and $5 million for the final? What could we do with an extra $11MM? That's only $54MM a year in payout money and they could probably get it to that level.

And most of the players really didn't care for it. I know because they told me.

Reactions: jocktalker
^^^ So you agree, let's pay them a salary, forgo the taking of class work and spend 24/7 devoted to football. They will be hired representatives of the university not students, ok.

The NFL and CF gained unprecedented levels of success with players participating in fewer games.

Point of this is the fact that one group will never allow for the other group to become a part of the big boys national championship party.

The formation of a division for all excluded ( current 1-A teams) from the prime time conferences would allow for a more favorable year ending national championship vs playing in a bowl game that has few in attendance as well as has no bearing on the national picture.

I would jump at the chance any day for a shot at an NCAA national title vs a trophy from the Dollar General Bowl.

Create the division , limit the season to 10 games , set the playoff just like 1-AA and lets start having some fun again.

Keep in mind the early success of Marshall's move to 1-A was created by the major success of the program at the 1-AA level , kids knew that by coming to Marshall they would have a shot at a national title as well as due to the success would be playing on television many more times than is the current situation.

The problem ,when one coach left he was replaced by someone in over their head ...and back to Marshall's continued problems with the hiring of the wrong people especially those in charge of the employment of coaches....athletic directors.

Last edited:
Don't presume that players are excited to play an extra two or three games plus practice time. Most are not despite what might be stated for public consumption.

For the life of us...how can GreenDuke speak for the players? I support that Bowl games or extra Playoff games are good for a football program because of THE EXTRA PRACTICE TIME, players receive. Heck, final exams are complete during December and I support the Coaches cherish the extra practice time to start building for the next season.

HerdZilla22 in Charlotte................Happy 2017

Yea. No it's not. In basketball EVERY D-IA team can play for an win a national title. It's tough but small teams can rise up and do the unthinkable.

In football NO team outside the P5 and even the bottom P5 can NEVER play for a national title. They are not permitted because of voters and pundits saying they do not belong.

So yea. D-I is not D-I in football the same as D-I is D-I in basketball.

We found in 2014 that other team's losses are better than another team's wins. What!?!
You need to reread my post...I was saying it's not, but it should be like d1 basketball is

For the life of us...how can GreenDuke speak for the players? I support that Bowl games or extra Playoff games are good for a football program because of THE EXTRA PRACTICE TIME, players receive. Heck, final exams are complete during December and I support the Coaches cherish the extra practice time to start building for the next season.

HerdZilla22 in Charlotte................Happy 2017

You're the perfect example of fans that think of nothing but their own entertainment. Health and long term well being of the athlete be damned, just give me something to watch on the big screen will stuffing your face with more nachos. Really though I can understand where you are coming from since your local school forever ended the concept of the student athlete. Cheater hill made it easy for 24/7/365 practice as class work was nonexistent for many athletes.

You're the perfect example of fans that think of nothing but their own entertainment. Health and long term well being of the athlete be damned, just give me something to watch on the big screen will stuffing your face with more nachos. Really though I can understand where you are coming from since your local school forever ended the concept of the student athlete. Cheater hill made it easy for 24/7/365 practice as class work was nonexistent for many athletes.

Perhaps Dook should have practiced more before going to Va Tech Saturday,,,,he he he he. The Tarheels will "get their day in Court"...and their day will open a Can of Worms for the schools in Durham & Raleigh too....."Let He That is NOT of SIN...Cast the first Stone."

Time will tell.....Go Chapel Hill....

HerdZilla22 in Charlotte

Duke's issue - the suspension of Grayson Allen - pretty much an auto loss of 20 ppg with him on the bench. And now add to the fact K will be out for the next month due to back
surgery.

While I do not condone Allen's actions by any means , the kid plays all out , take that effort + his 20 ppg avg out along with K and Duke is without two significant pieces of the puzzle.

20 ppg gone
Coach gone
Not a formula for success.

Last edited:
I'll take a meaningless bowl trip to Florida or Nassau over a meaningless playoff game in Toledo or Kalamazoo!
Not me. Tired of pretend bowls. Play for a national title. Kinda like being a class a team in wv. You dont play for the aaa title you play for the 1a title. We put too much in the term..bigtime 1A football

Duke's issue - the suspension of Grayson Allen - pretty much an auto loss of 20 ppg with him on the bench. And now add to the fact K will be out for the next month due to back
surgery.

While I do not condone Allen's actions by any means , the kid plays all out , take that effort + his 20 ppg avg out along with K and Duke is without two significant pieces of the puzzle.

20 ppg gone
Coach gone
Not a formula for success.

And that's if Coach K gets back in a month - I had my big back surgery at 50, Coach K is 70, and I was down longer than a month for healing/recovery. If he rushes it, he might cost himself any correction he might receive from surgery.

Heck no they wamt to bar hop. Heck with practice. Its only practice..its only practice

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT