ADVERTISEMENT

If you could overturn one loss which one would it be and why?

You all are basically saying the same thing. My hope is that one day Marshall fans will stop using the “refs cheated” type mantras after EVERY loss.

Zereroue had 27 carries that day. Keaton had 7, almost all of which were on the second quarter drive that put them up 28-3.

We got blitzed hard early in that game. Once we settled in, we beat them up for 1-1/2 quarters, but we ran out of gas in the fourth. There was no shame in that game whatsoever.

It turned out that Marshall’s first trip inside the WVU 10-yard line ending in a FG instead of a TD played a larger role in the fourth quarter.

But the game was 23 years ago. I had a blast in the end zone as a 14 year old. I grew up a Marshall fan, followed WVU well enough. At that age, I didn’t understand why they hated us so much up there. I come from a 100% Marshall home so I just wasn’t aware it was so bad at the time. I understood after I left there. But I had a good time there and in Detroit that year. I wish our younger fans would get to experience what I did growing up. When everything revolved around Saturday, and if the game was within a 7-8 hour drive, you were going. You’d run into Marshall fans all along the trip there in restaurants or wherever you stopped. You’d talk about the game with people you didn’t know, then you might even run into those same people at the game... even at Clemson with 83,000 there. You built a sense of common purpose with your fellow fans. You got really nervous before games because you cared that much. You knew who you were playing and darn near everything about them, because you read every word Tim Stephens or the other beat writers would have all season. Those were extended good times. I miss them and I hope we get there again. We had something to play for, and even when our guys came up short, you saw the care in the way they played. It’s not that today’s kids aren’t like that, it’s just not outward as much as it was then.

YouTube some Marshall games from the 90’s... you can find whole games scattered around. 1997 at Ball State is a good one. Don’t watch it simply for Moss scoring 5 TD. Watch it for the roar of the green and white clad fans in the stadium. Those were good days. I wish everyone would get to experience it the way I did.

Pioneer - so true! The decade of the 90’s saw such an elevated level of success. It has had the effect for us older fans of pining for “the good ole’ days”.
The younger fans (no fault of their own) don’t have that to fall back to. Perhaps we will get somewhere close in the future.....

Pioneer - so true! The decade of the 90’s saw such an elevated level of success. It has had the effect for us older fans of pining for “the good ole’ days”.
The younger fans (no fault of their own) don’t have that to fall back to. Perhaps we will get somewhere close in the future.....
I don't see it happening. The landscape of CFB is changing. In the very near future the P5 schools will be in a division of their own. The TV networks will have very little interest in the rest of us. It will be more like the 1AA days. Nothing wrong with that but the dream of becoming Cinderella are nearly gone

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
You all are basically saying the same thing. My hope is that one day Marshall fans will stop using the “refs cheated” type mantras after EVERY loss.

I think I’ve seen one person in the thread mention the officiating. Most people are saying that WVU had the deeper (ie better) top to bottom team. That’s pretty respectful.

I think I’ve seen one person in the thread mention the officiating. Most people are saying that WVU had the deeper (ie better) top to bottom team. That’s pretty respectful.

Believe I said everybody was agreeing but saying it I’m different ways.
On this site,in the stands, at post game socializing, in general conversation, reading Chuck Landon,
there is always a reference to officials costing Marshall their rightful victory.
I’ve been listening to it for over 60 years.

Believe I said everybody was agreeing but saying it I’m different ways.
On this site,in the stands, at post game socializing, in general conversation, reading Chuck Landon, J
there is always a reference to officials costing Marshall their rightful victory.
I’ve been listening to it for over 60 years.

JEEZ, been under a Rock for all that time? Hell, for even more than 60 years, even back to the 1950s, between them Jack Fleming and Caridi, as well a large number of the inbred NEER fan base, have been yelling the SAME Thing about the Zebras after virtually EVERY WVU loss (and in a lot of the wins, too)!!

JEEZ, been under a Rock for all that time? Hell, for even more than 60 years, even back to the 1950s, between them Jack Fleming and Caridi, as well a large number of the inbred NEER fan base, have been yelling the SAME Thing about the Zebras after virtually EVERY WVU loss (and in a lot of the wins, too)!!
I am sure Duke will concur - Mighty Dook has NEVER bitched about referees costing them a W....right Green?

I’m not a wv fan and I don’t care what they complain about.

Zereroue had 27 carries that day. Keaton had 7, almost all of which were on the second quarter drive that put them up 28-3.

We got blitzed hard early in that game. Once we settled in, we beat them up for 1-1/2 quarters, but we ran out of gas in the fourth. There was no shame in that game whatsoever.

It turned out that Marshall’s first trip inside the WVU 10-yard line ending in a FG instead of a TD played a larger role in the fourth quarter.

But the game was 23 years ago. I had a blast in the end zone as a 14 year old. I grew up a Marshall fan, followed WVU well enough. At that age, I didn’t understand why they hated us so much up there. I come from a 100% Marshall home so I just wasn’t aware it was so bad at the time. I understood after I left there. But I had a good time there and in Detroit that year. I wish our younger fans would get to experience what I did growing up. When everything revolved around Saturday, and if the game was within a 7-8 hour drive, you were going. You’d run into Marshall fans all along the trip there in restaurants or wherever you stopped. You’d talk about the game with people you didn’t know, then you might even run into those same people at the game... even at Clemson with 83,000 there. You built a sense of common purpose with your fellow fans. You got really nervous before games because you cared that much. You knew who you were playing and darn near everything about them, because you read every word Tim Stephens or the other beat writers would have all season. Those were extended good times. I miss them and I hope we get there again. We had something to play for, and even when our guys came up short, you saw the care in the way they played. It’s not that today’s kids aren’t like that, it’s just not outward as much as it was then.

YouTube some Marshall games from the 90’s... you can find whole games scattered around. 1997 at Ball State is a good one. Don’t watch it simply for Moss scoring 5 TD. Watch it for the roar of the green and white clad fans in the stadium. Those were good days. I wish everyone would get to experience it the way I did.
it was a blast driving to Detroit in 97. At one point there was a huge caravan of cars with Marshall flags waving in the air. The Ohio State game was fun to see (a large and loud group) of green as well. I was sitting in the middle of OSU fans. My friend was a former football player there. I took alot of abuse till the end when we tied it up!

right, so normal substitution that a team does in any game. you implied it was clearing the bench and only needed to put those starters back in
in the second qt they put a bunch of different guys in.

in the second qt they put a bunch of different guys in.

And again, this is 100% false. The official participation list shows a difference of 5 players between the two teams.

They used 3 fullbacks and two halfbacks. Somehow among all of those subs, they didn’t accumulate any stats.

They did play more players. They didn’t substitute any differently in the game than they would have if it was 7-7 at half.

You’re just looking to argue. Not worth the time/effort.

Here are the official stats for the game:

http://wvustats.com/sport/football/game/1055

it was a blast driving to Detroit in 97. At one point there was a huge caravan of cars with Marshall flags waving in the air. The Ohio State game was fun to see (a large and loud group) of green as well. I was sitting in the middle of OSU fans. My friend was a former football player there. I took alot of abuse till the end when we tied it up!
Funny story, at least to me @ the time: We excitedly pack the minivan for the drive north. My Dad, wanting to show his herd on, takes 2 window flags. BUT, he doesn’t like the idea of listening to that @$&%# flapping noise for 6 hours, either! So, he places them one row back, in the vent glass. Off we go! Going across the 6th St bridge, I hear flap flap flap flap whoosh!! as the flag exits the vehicle. Laughter, but we still have the other flag. 2 miles up the road, flap flap flap whoosh! Big laughter... great trip!!

Reactions: ohio herd
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT