ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting take on BEVs and emissions

There’s even a Hokie in the article contradicting it

Working on contradicting it...

"Rakha and his team at Virginia Tech are in the process of conducting field tests to determine how much microplastics are emitting from EV and gas cars by using traffic simulators that will mimic an urban setting."

So:

EVs are much more harmful to the environment to produce.

You have to charge them, in most cases, using fossil fuels and we don’t have grid capacity for even half the people to own them.

They emit more micro plastic.

They cost excessively more to recycle, making them worse for the environment.

They are significantly more expensive.

I read a recent study that concluded that the environmental “break-even” on an EV is between 75,000 and 100,000 miles when you look at the difference in CO2 created in the process to produce the vehicle. That’s 5-8 years. Given that we know the world will end, according to savant congresswoman AOC, in less than 10 years it appears all hope is lost.

Reactions: raleighherdfan
Working on contradicting it...

"Rakha and his team at Virginia Tech are in the process of conducting field tests to determine how much microplastics are emitting from EV and gas cars by using traffic simulators that will mimic an urban setting."
Just to pick one thing from the original study that makes no sense, they correlate higher vehicle weight with increased brake wear. That’s true for ICE cars, but EVs (and hybrids) experience much less brake wear than ICE cars due to the regenerative braking.

Really you can forget all the environmental stuff and EVs are still great just because they are extremely low maintenance. No oil, rarely have to change brake pads, no coolant or stuff like that. Since I got mine the only money I’ve put into it is one set of tires.

Reactions: Raoul Duke MU
Just to pick one thing from the original study that makes no sense, they correlate higher vehicle weight with increased brake wear. That’s true for ICE cars, but EVs (and hybrids) experience much less brake wear than ICE cars due to the regenerative braking.

Really you can forget all the environmental stuff and EVs are still great just because they are extremely low maintenance. No oil, rarely have to change brake pads, no coolant or stuff like that. Since I got mine the only money I’ve put into it is one set of tires.

I get that. Another thing is probably 50 years ago I read something in Road & Track that has stuck with me. With the tons and tons of tire wear each year shouldn't there be an accumulation of rubber along the sides of roads? There was a reference in R&T that scientists discovered microbes living along these roads that consumed the rubber particles.

Now I know there is rain runoff and natural decomposition but I always found that interesting.

I think EVs (in there current state) do have a place in the Market especially in warmer climate urban areas where you have a 30-40 mile drive and don’t have extreme temps. But they aren’t quite there yet in terms of fast charging for long distance or ability to operate in Harsher climates

Reactions: KyMUfan
I get that. Another thing is probably 50 years ago I read something in Road & Track that has stuck with me. With the tons and tons of tire wear each year shouldn't there be an accumulation of rubber along the sides of roads? There was a reference in R&T that scientists discovered microbes living along these roads that consumed the rubber particles.

Now I know there is rain runoff and natural decomposition but I always found that interesting.

Rain takes a lot of it away. In CA (and I guess anywhere) you have to be careful when it hasn’t rained in a while because the first time it does it picks up all the rubber and makes things especially slippery

Just for you @HerdandHokies

regular.jpg

Sounds like a reason to ban those big pick-up trucks and SUV's all of you love, I look forward to KY driving a Mitsubishi Mirage.

Honestly we should all buy a Mirage and start a spec racing series.
just bought a new silveraydo with the 6.2 420 hp beast in protest of climate change activists and EV's.

Pffft, get you one of those super-powerful diesels with 1000 torques. Never know when you might have to pull the house of the foundation.
my son bought one of those last year. put a chip on it with three settings . . . the highest setting hops it up to around 600 hp and 1500 ft/lbs. insane. he's waiting for the warranty to run out so he can delete it and pick up around 10 mpg. i've driven it a couple times and got into the throttle just enough to know my 6.2 wants none of it.

Sounds like a reason to ban those big pick-up trucks and SUV's all of you love, I look forward to KY driving a Mitsubishi Mirage.

Honestly we should all buy a Mirage and start a spec racing series.

I use my truck mainly for work. Never driven a Mirage but have driven many smaller hot rods and pony cars.

I drove a Subaru WRX STI for a few weeks a couple of years ago. When I was younger that would have been my dream car until I pulled up to the pump and figured out it took premium gas. I was a poor college kid at the time...

About 40 years ago I built a 1980 Mercury Capri - lowered the suspension, Goodyear Wingfoots (coolest looking tire ever in my mind), cammed, 4 barrel Holley on a 2.3 Ford. Well balanced. Had power but not front heavy. It was a fun car. Sold it to buy a 63 Corvette that I still have.

1979_Goodyear_Tire%252C_Mustang_Indy_Pace_Car_Print_Ads_84e4a474-30ed-4137-9228-2efe19f3fce5.jpg

I use my truck mainly for work. Never driven a Mirage but have driven many smaller hot rods and pony cars.

I drove a Subaru WRX STI for a few weeks a couple of years ago. When I was younger that would have been my dream car until I pulled up to the pump and figured out it took premium gas. I was a poor college kid at the time...

About 40 years ago I built a 1980 Mercury Capri - lowered the suspension, Goodyear Wingfoots (coolest looking tire ever in my mind), cammed, 4 barrel Holley on a 2.3 Ford. Well balanced. Had power but not front heavy. It was a fun car. Sold it to buy a 63 Corvette that I still have.

1979_Goodyear_Tire%252C_Mustang_Indy_Pace_Car_Print_Ads_84e4a474-30ed-4137-9228-2efe19f3fce5.jpg
On some of the car hobby websites people often joke about spec Mirage lol. Cheap shitcans would make for good racing, that's why a lot of the small tracks have the FWD four-banger classes now, it's cheap to get into, no one is going fast enough to get killed, and because it's cheap there's usually a lot of shenanigans on track.

Fox bodies....I actually prefer the looks of the Capri. A bubble -back RS is on my list of "lottery cars", because I'd want a collection of oddballs, not a bunch of supercars.

Lighter front end: that's why the Fox-body SVO Mustang handles better than the GT. I had that same 2.3 turbo in a 88 TBird Turbo Coupe, it was a better handling car than you might expect it be.

Premium gas: that TBird had a switch for regular or premium, it would slightly change the mapping for the fuel you used. It also had an early version of automatically adjustable suspension. It really was a neat car, one of the few I have owned that I truly miss. One of those is also on my lottery list, but I'd do a build with a the 2.3 Ecoboost, more power and smoother but still in the spirit of the original.

Last edited:
Reactions: KyMUfan
On some of the car hobby websites people often joke about spec Mirage lol. Cheap shitcans would make for good racing, that's why a lot of the small tracks have the FWD four-banger classes now, it's cheap to get into, no one is going fast enough to get killed, and because it's cheap there's usually a lot of shenanigans on track.

Fox bodies....I actually prefer the looks of the Capri. A bubble -back RS is on my list of "lottery cars", because I'd want a collection of oddballs, not a bunch of supercars.

Lighter front end: that's why the Fix-body SVO Mustang handles better than the GT. I had that same 2.3 turbo in a 88 TBird Turbo Coupe, it was a better handling car than you might expect it be.

Premium gas: that TBird had a switch for regular or premium, it would slightly change the mapping for the fuel you used. It also had an early version of automatically adjustable suspension. It really was a neat car, one of the few I have owned that I truly miss. One of those is also on my lottery list, but I'd do a build with a the 2.3 Ecoboost, more power and smoother but still in the spirit of the original.
still have my old IROC, i've owned nothing that handled as good as it in its prime, not even the '21 SS. just bought a trashed cadillac escalade with the 6.2 in it a while back for the engine, going to put in the IROC after sending off for rebuild. looking at between 750 and 800 hp, which, hell yes, is entirely too much HP for that car.

still have my old IROC, i've owned nothing that handled as good as it in its prime, not even the '21 SS. just bought a trashed cadillac escalade with the 6.2 in it a while back for the engine, going to put in the IROC after sending off for rebuild. looking at between 750 and 800 hp, which, hell yes, is entirely too much HP for that car.

What year?

What year?
1986. did a lot of work on it several years ago and my son drove it his jr. and sr. years of high school. had it painted, new brakes, shocks, steering linkage, etc. after he graduated hs, it went back in the garage under cover. drive it once or twice a year.

20190727-175640.jpg

Yeah, don't yeet that thing off the side of a mountain.

Didn't you get an 80's 300 ZX a few years back? I think one of those would make a fun weekend hobby car. Not that fast, but good looking, I'd want the digital dash and the stereo with all those EQ sliders, I dig that Jap tech stuff from the 80's.

Yeah, don't yeet that thing off the side of a mountain.

Didn't you get an 80's 300 ZX a few years back? I think one of those would make a fun weekend hobby car. Not that fast, but good looking, I'd want the digital dash and the stereo with all those EQ sliders, I dig that Jap tech stuff from the 80's.
1988, i think. ended up selling it. it had a gas leak on top of engine in the fuel injections rails, or something. dude i sold it to took it to a nissan dealer and found out there was a recall on it that had never been taken care of. they fixed it for free, or so he told me. said it was like a $2500 repair . . . i sold him the car for like $1000. ha.

it was definitely a fun car, and it had all the digital shit with the EQ sliders.

Same here. I've always liked oddballs. However the bubble-back RS wasn't one of them.

Lighter front end: that's why the Fox-body SVO Mustang handles better than the GT. I had that same 2.3 turbo in a 88 TBird Turbo Coupe, it was a better handling car than you might expect it be.

Absolutely on the SVO. I loved the looks and combination of luxury and performance of the Turbo Coupe and later SC. Nice vehicles. Didn't remember about the fuel switch. Never drove a Turbo Coupe but did a SC.

Most fun I ever had when I was more involved in the car business was a Chevrolet Find New Roads event. One session was comparison test drives on a parking lot track for basically every Chevrolet passenger vehicle except Camaro and Corvette. Say a Chevy Trax, a Jeep Renegade, Nissan Juke, etc. in the base class. After the rounds were finished we still had some time. One of the GM guys came over and told me to go back out and have as much fun as I wanted. Going 45 mph sideways in a Jeep Compass was more fun that day than 150 mph on the track in a C8...👍😅

1986. did a lot of work on it several years ago and my son drove it his jr. and sr. years of high school. had it painted, new brakes, shocks, steering linkage, etc. after he graduated hs, it went back in the garage under cover. drive it once or twice a year.

20190727-175640.jpg

Nice looking vehicle. I always liked the 70's Firebirds better than the Camaros but that changed in the 80s. Thought the 80s Camaros were much nicer looking.

1988, i think. ended up selling it. it had a gas leak on top of engine in the fuel injections rails, or something. dude i sold it to took it to a nissan dealer and found out there was a recall on it that had never been taken care of. they fixed it for free, or so he told me. said it was like a $2500 repair . . . i sold him the car for like $1000. ha.

it was definitely a fun car, and it had all the digital shit with the EQ sliders.
I believe your friend, safety and emissions recalls never expire.
Same here. I've always liked oddballs. However the bubble-back RS wasn't one of them.

Absolutely on the SVO. I loved the looks and combination of luxury and performance of the Turbo Coupe and later SC. Nice vehicles. Didn't remember about the fuel switch. Never drove a Turbo Coupe but did a SC.

Most fun I ever had when I was more involved in the car business was a Chevrolet Find New Roads event. One session was comparison test drives on a parking lot track for basically every Chevrolet passenger vehicle except Camaro and Corvette. Say a Chevy Trax, a Jeep Renegade, Nissan Juke, etc. in the base class. After the rounds were finished we still had some time. One of the GM guys came over and told me to go back out and have as much fun as I wanted. Going 45 mph sideways in a Jeep Compass was more fun that day than 150 mph on the track in a C8...👍😅
Driving a slow car fast is always fun. I love abusing a shitbox.

• Haha
Reactions: WV-FAN and KyMUfan
saw some meth-head in a 1994 firebird trans am gta at a gas station the other day. the car looked bad ass from a distance, but the closer i got to it, the more i wanted to punch that prick in the face for abusing the car. wanted to call car protective services and have it removed from his custody.

• Haha
I’d like to have my ‘69 Cougar XR7 back that I bought in 1982 and sold in 1987.
Fun facts: not only could you get a 69 Cougar with a 428 Cobra Jet, there was also a Boss 302 model, just like with the Mustang. And while I have seen a 69 Cougar with a Cobra Jet, I've never seen a Boss 302 one in person....probably because only 169 were made.

Hey, moron. You're bumping threads that are two months old just so you can post below average memes. Either get a better sense of humor or go to HerdFans.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT