ADVERTISEMENT

Is the American dream still to own a home?

i am herdman

Platinum Buffalo
Gold Member
Mar 5, 2006
we had this discussion the other day at work. Previsous generations, including mine, that was mostly the American dream. But, now I am not so sure. Our group came to the conclusion that the America dream now really is to travel. People spend a ton of money traveling and it is not like they juts go to the lake or the amusement park of the beach anymore. It is extravagant stuff or exotic travel. Big travel. I believe that may be correct now.

My grandparents on one side of the family never saw the ocean. Lived in WV and never saw the ocean. Not even for a day. They saw Lake Erie, but not the ocean. Went to Ky, Ohio, and a big trip to Indiana one time. Oh, and drove to GA to see my uncle when he was in the Army and that would have been in the 50's. Forgot about that. But, drove down there and didn't drive to the coast. Went through 4 states that have a coast line and didn't drive over there to see the ocean.

Anyway, I don't think people now care as much about owning a house. I think it is leading to trouble down the road. Why? What are these people going to do when they are 70 and don't own a home? Rent? Buy one on a 30 year mortgage then?

Govt will take over housing one day. This is leading to a disaster in my book. Going to be a bunch of 65 to 80 year olds with no house or property or nothing. Where are they going to live? Pay 2 grand a month in rent?

They're going to put us all in these retirement homes. Two beds per room, with a wash sink and a small 28" TV on the wall. One bathroom for both old people. You go in there with another old person, and they wait for you to die from boredom. In exchange, the retirement home gets your social security check each month, and you get $50 of it to buy a few snickers and get your haircut.

Your grandparents sound a lot like my life now. Drive to Ohio a couple times a year, and one big trip down to Indiana to sit along the Ohio River. Thinking Walden/Kate was right about a lot of things. Might be better off dead than resorting to a life of driving down to the Ohio River to watch the pigeons.

They're going to put us all in these retirement homes. Two beds per room, with a wash sink and a small 28" TV on the wall. One bathroom for both old people. You go in there with another old person, and they wait for you to die from boredom. In exchange, the retirement home gets your social security check each month, and you get $50 of it to buy a few snickers and get your haircut.

Your grandparents sound a lot like my life now. Drive to Ohio a couple times a year, and one big trip down to Indiana to sit along the Ohio River. Thinking Walden/Kate was right about a lot of things. Might be better off dead than resorting to a life of driving down to the Ohio River to watch the pigeons.
You might be right. America and Americans are going broke. The Chinks will probably start buying these retirment homes or really camps. They are going to put us in these camps and if we have anything they will seize it.

Move to San Francisco. They want to sell you a home for $1. You are Black, aren’t you?

my dream is to sell my house. no can do, though, so building a second garage across the road. going to connect it to my 27,000 sqft deck with a walking overpass.

Reactions: Aaron Perkins
Yes, good news you can get a house for $ 1. Bad news you get a house in San Francisco for $1.
Actually, the bad news with that house for $1.00, is that you have to pay $127,000 a year in property taxes.

Uncle Deiondre gonna be pissed sitting in that mansion, decked out in a purple velvet laced robe when he sees that tax bill.

Maybe if hedge funds and the Chinese weren't allowed to buy our houses, more people could afford one.

Too-Damn-High.jpg

Ever since Biden took office, Americans real goal is to own a carton of eggs.
saw a dozen of eggs sell for $2,040 the other evening. saw a ham and a bacon sell for just over $4K. i bought a bacon last year for $734, it was 9 lbs. was going to buy another bacon this year but when i saw them going for $1K+, i figured let someone else support the kids.

fetchimage

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT