ADVERTISEMENT

JMU will roll this team.

I’m good with the coach we currently have. He’s making a lot of upgrades on and off the field that needed to be done.

But one day he’ll leave and it will be time to hire a replacement. Someone on a staff like Georgia, Alabama, Ohio State etc that continuously win is where I start, or a head coach that’s been successful at or above or level.

Goal posts continue to move!!!

This post is hilarious.

Someone in another thread said something along the lines of “we are no better than an 8-4 team”.

Oh darn. 8 wins just sucks.
It's not moving the goal posts. We fired Doc because he could not win CHAMIONSHIPS. Therefore we declared that championships were the bar.

We all know that you are happy with whatever. Huff could lose every single game, the university could give him an extension, and you'd defend it and celebrate it. You have stated multiple times that Kayo Marcum was a successful AD and that Sndyer wasn't a bad HC.

If 8-4 is good enough we should have stayed with Doc and saved money.

Charles Manson's followers weren't as blindly loyal as you are.

If 8-4 is good enough we should have stayed with Doc
Somewhat of a revisionist history here. It was also much about Doc's management of team in the Shewey. Doc teams were a complete dumpster fire the last season or two. Teams completely quitting at halftime, issues in the locker room, *cough* parking lot *cough*, player arrests, Doc's willingness to push away key members of former teams wanting to help be involved, Doc's unwillingness to be an active member of the community along with his players.

Of the last 3 head coaching hires, the best qualification was co defensive coordinator.
My thoughts exactly. Sadly, our BOG is made up of mostly rich donors and others who have never played sports or know very little about the game. Chad being the outlier and just one voice. They get sweet talked by agents and loved the idea of hiring a Nick Saban assistant. What they need to focus on is HC experience at any level, and the connections said coach has for the crucial OC and DC positions. They don't do that. That's why our last 3 hires have failed.

Reactions: Jartard
My thoughts exactly. Sadly, our BOG is made up of mostly rich donors and others who have never played sports or know very little about the game. Chad being the outlier and just one voice. They get sweet talked by agents and loved the idea of hiring a Nick Saban assistant. What they need to focus on is HC experience at any level, and the connections said coach has for the crucial OC and DC positions. They don't do that. That's why our last 3 hires have failed.
And we only have to look down 5th Ave to the soccer complex to see an example of hiring a coach with previous HC experience. Grassie is the GOAT, and he’s only been here, what, 5 seasons?

What's sad is supposedly Marshall paid a hiring agency to recruit our head coaches. I don't know if that was only with Huff or with Holliday as well.

Like him, Love him , or hate him, our Current Head Coach came in with a very detailed plan. How detailed was it? I think that was evident in his press conference following the ECU game when he had taken notes years ago about knowing that he needed to learn how to take care of an extra long weather break. That press conference told me all I need to know about that guy. I think i am decent at my job, but i suck at the small things, my eyes dont look there, and my mind doesnt think about them. He does both.

Sure, he is probably looking for another job. Most people always do that in their position. Sure that makes me sound hypocritical because I usually hate on anyone that leaves here, whether it be a coach or player.

I will support everyone while they are here. Doesnt mean I will when/if they leave.

His number one job is to leave us in a better position than when he got here. I think he is doing that, from the level of talent we have here, to the level of recognition we are getting here (when did we play this many games on national TV,) etc, etc.

We are 4 - 2 and some people think we suck and should go down to FCS apparently in some spots on this wonderful internet world we live in. That is crazy.

Anyway, I hate most of the opinions you guys have. But they are what they are, they arent my opinion. My opinions will always be fairly consistent.

I learned a long time ago that unless I die, I will be here a lot longer than any coach, AD, or player. Number 10 isnt Chad Pennington, number 7 isnt Byron Leftwich, number 28 isnt Mike Barker, they are just 10, 7 and 28. I will love and support those players that where those numbers the entire time they have an M on their helmet, and kelly green blood in their veins!

GO HERD!!!

His number one job is to leave us in a better position than when he got here. I think he is doing that
First Place Reaction GIF by Timothy Winchester

What's sad is supposedly Marshall paid a hiring agency to recruit our head coaches. I don't know if that was only with Huff or with Holliday as well.
IMO everyone got enamored with having a coach that came from a program like Alabama and was able to speak that successful program's language.

Again, I think Huff has done an exceptional job at turning around the dumpster fire that was inside the Shewey and off the field nonsense that was regularly seen, and now many want to ignore and forget. The program the last couple of years under the last guy was a complete shitshow.

With that said, Huff's teams continue to be very inconsistent on the field. At what point do you either take full responsibility or does the entire team openly take responsibility as a group for not executing? This week was a total team shit the bed kind of game. Sloppy mistakes, mental lapses, missed assignments from top down. The Kumbya moment of culture rebuilding has passed. It's time to win, or when you do lose, dont lose because you gave the opposing team the win because you look completely unprepared.

Like him, Love him , or hate him, our Current Head Coach came in with a very detailed plan. How detailed was it? I think that was evident in his press conference following the ECU game when he had taken notes years ago about knowing that he needed to learn how to take care of an extra long weather break. That press conference told me all I need to know about that guy. I think i am decent at my job, but i suck at the small things, my eyes dont look there, and my mind doesnt think about them. He does both.

Sure, he is probably looking for another job. Most people always do that in their position. Sure that makes me sound hypocritical because I usually hate on anyone that leaves here, whether it be a coach or player.

I will support everyone while they are here. Doesnt mean I will when/if they leave.

His number one job is to leave us in a better position than when he got here. I think he is doing that, from the level of talent we have here, to the level of recognition we are getting here (when did we play this many games on national TV,) etc, etc.

We are 4 - 2 and some people think we suck and should go down to FCS apparently in some spots on this wonderful internet world we live in. That is crazy.

Anyway, I hate most of the opinions you guys have. But they are what they are, they arent my opinion. My opinions will always be fairly consistent.

I learned a long time ago that unless I die, I will be here a lot longer than any coach, AD, or player. Number 10 isnt Chad Pennington, number 7 isnt Byron Leftwich, number 28 isnt Mike Barker, they are just 10, 7 and 28. I will love and support those players that where those numbers the entire time they have an M on their helmet, and kelly green blood in their veins!

GO HERD!!!
Appreciate your unbridled enthusiasm for our school. I too like some of things Huff has brought to the program, many off the field. That said, I was commenting on our process to find a coach. We went for coaches that had no long standing experience as an OC or DC coordinator, or none at all; and no HC experience, at any level. That to me is a huge red flag. Why we're hung up on getting a D1 guy regardless of experience is beyond me.

GO HERD!!!
The tv games are due to being out of C-U.S.A. and Facebook football. He’s a mediocre coach at best and has continued with us being mediocre. We beat ND, but can’t beat the BGSU’s or Georgia State’s of the world. I 100% hope he gets this team ready to play the rest of the season, because our program deserves more than mediocre.

This thread has been an eye-opening read... So much delusion.

A few points that are correct on both sides -

1. Huff was hired to "get Marshall back to championship football" (that's a direct quote). Thus far, he hasn't done that. While another 7 or 8 win regular season may appease a small percentage of the fanbase, it's simply not the goal and its not what he was hired to do.

2. Huff's hiring was done the right way. We had an outside firm vet possible candidates, then went through the interview process, narrowed the list, reinterviewed, and then made a hire based on who was available/interested. Whether Huff gets it turned around this year or not, the process wasn't the problem. This wasn't two or three BOG members and the AD making a back-alley hire based on finding "their guy."

3. MU is 4-2 going into the biggest game of the season, at home. And from the outside appears to be teetering on the brink of what kind of season this is going to be. We've been here before, where one game can change the trajectory of a season. Let's hope our coaches and players perform like it's the biggest game of the year and not like what we saw this weekend in Atlanta.

4. Huff's biggest issue isn't himself... Or at least I dont think it is... He appears to be a good leader/manager as head coach. His ability to hire competent assistants is certainly under the microscope. Our special teams unit has been putrid all season, and our defense has regressed every week since VT. Bad game pans, bad in-game decision making, lack of talent at key positions -- probably a combination of all three. But his assistants are not doing him any favors.

GO HERD!!!
Did he not take notes on how to manage a short week? Or are those excuses ok?

This thread has been an eye-opening read... So much delusion.

A few points that are correct on both sides -

1. Huff was hired to "get Marshall back to championship football" (that's a direct quote). Thus far, he hasn't done that. While another 7 or 8 win regular season may appease a small percentage of the fanbase, it's simply not the goal and its not what he was hired to do.

2. Huff's hiring was done the right way. We had an outside firm vet possible candidates, then went through the interview process, narrowed the list, reinterviewed, and then made a hire based on who was available/interested. Whether Huff gets it turned around this year or not, the process wasn't the problem. This wasn't two or three BOG members and the AD making a back-alley hire based on finding "their guy."

3. MU is 4-2 going into the biggest game of the season, at home. And from the outside appears to be teetering on the brink of what kind of season this is going to be. We've been here before, where one game can change the trajectory of a season. Let's hope our coaches and players perform like it's the biggest game of the year and not like what we saw this weekend in Atlanta.

4. Huff's biggest issue isn't himself... Or at least I dont think it is... He appears to be a good leader/manager as head coach. His ability to hire competent assistants is certainly under the microscope. Our special teams unit has been putrid all season, and our defense has regressed every week since VT. Bad game pans, bad in-game decision making, lack of talent at key positions -- probably a combination of all three. But his assistants are not doing him any favors.
I think your 4th point is the biggest and most telling. I've said it for a while now. The OC, DC and ST coaches are limited on their experience in these rolls, or have none at all. Not the best situation.

Reactions: ilmherdfan
All of our coaches are coaching around major talent deficiencies. No deep threat at WR. A massive, slow offensive line. We seem to have tried to just add numbers at DL. There are some decent players here and there, but we have mostly straight ahead rushers/head hunters. Very poor tackling up the middle of the field. LBs. Safeties. Even a guy like Roberts who makes a lot of tackles by virtue of the sheer number of opportunities is pretty bad. My brother and I were sitting in Raleigh and made a point to just watch Roberts for a while. He takes comically bad angles in the open field. Really bad. I actually think our OC is fine given what he has to work with. I think our ST can be ok with some more talent. I do not think our DC has been creative enough with the ingredients he has to cook with. But they are all 3 limited by their personnel. I think we may look back and realize the portal is maybe not the way to go.

I only think gammage leaving hurt us in the downfield passing game... he was a big guy who could go up and make contested catches. we dont have one anymore
Gammage bailed Fancher out so many times last year on his 50/50 balls when throwing a jump ball.

Last edited:
Reactions: BleedsGreen33
Speaking of Gammage, what happened to him? Is he playing football this season? I swear it seems like the portal is a terrible idea for 90% of players.

This^

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
All of our coaches are coaching around major talent deficiencies. No deep threat at WR. A massive, slow offensive line. We seem to have tried to just add numbers at DL. There are some decent players here and there, but we have mostly straight ahead rushers/head hunters. Very poor tackling up the middle of the field. LBs. Safeties. Even a guy like Roberts who makes a lot of tackles by virtue of the sheer number of opportunities is pretty bad. My brother and I were sitting in Raleigh and made a point to just watch Roberts for a while. He takes comically bad angles in the open field. Really bad. I actually think our OC is fine given what he has to work with. I think our ST can be ok with some more talent. I do not think our DC has been creative enough with the ingredients he has to cook with. But they are all 3 limited by their personnel. I think we may look back and realize the portal is maybe not the way to go.
I mean you're not wrong, but the vast majority of this roster are guys that the staff evaluated and approved of. They only have talent deficiencies because they recruited these guys. The biggest playmakers over Huff's three seasons have been mostly Doc holdovers. With each season as we lose those guys we become a little worse.

Consider Doc and Huff as stocks. We are getting the same return, but our investment into Huff is more. It’s not a winning combo, that’s for sure. Our next HC needs to have coaching experience, or at LEAST coordinator experience.
I don't think coordinator experience is a gauge. It just means the can call plays. Yes we got Donnan and Pruett, but I don't think in today's football we come remotely close to getting Donnan and Pruett was a native and former player that dreamed of being here. We tried to recreate that to some degree with Snyder, but that blew up.

I want us to go down the FCS and get a coach that has built a program and had success.

You go and get someone's recruiter or coordinator from a top school and what are you getting. The best of the best are going to fellow P5s, but a lot of them turn out to just be coattail riders. For the billing that Huff got as a recruiter, I am not at all impressed with his recruiting overall. Yes there have been some nice transfers, but overall I would take Doc's recruited talent over Huff's. Especially if we want to mirror year 1 vs year 1 and year 2 vs year 2 and so on.

Now let's look at the coaching connections for hires. Huff appears to have none. Maybe it's because he was young, but outside of Guidry it's been meh to horrible. Again a guy like Huff that has his sights on moving up should be surrounding himself with guys that can propel him forward. Instead he keeps going with shallow or bad resumes. So many of our coaches are OJT coaches. Like Trickett. He had no system. No playbook. Everything he's doing he's coming up with as he goes. His tutor on the staff is most likely Legg. Guidry was a good coach, but he was most likely available to us because of his past and schools didn't want to be the ones to be his proving ground for his rehab. Then there's the new DC. Another guy with a shallow resume that is in way over his head and no one around to correct him because they're all in the same boat.

Then again so many mistakes are Football 101 that you'd think those like Huff that have been involved with the game as long as he has would know better.

Let's try and find a guy that has done something of his own and has earned a come up.

Last edited:
I don't think coordinator experience is a gauge. It just means the can call plays. Yes we got Donnan and Pruett, but I don't think in today's football we come remotely close to getting Donnan and Pruett was a native and former player that dreamed of being here. We tried to recreate that to some degree with Snyder, but that blew up.

I want us to go down the FCS and get a coach that has built a program and had success.

You go and get someone's recruiter or coordinator from a top school and what are you getting. The best of the best are going to fellow P5s, but a lot of them turn out to just be coattail riders. For the billing that Huff got as a recruiter, I am not at all impressed with his recruiting overall. Yes there have been some nice transfers, but overall I would take Doc's recruited talent over Huff's. Especially if we want to mirror year 1 vs year 1 and year 2 vs year 2 and so on.

Now let's look at the coaching connections for hires. Huff appears to have none. Maybe it's because he was young, but outside of Guidry it's been meh to horrible. Again a guy like Huff that has his sights on moving up should be surrounding himself with guys that can propel him forward. Instead he keeps going with shallow or bad resumes. So many our OJT coaches. Like Trickett. He had no system. No playbook. Everything he's doing he's coming up with as he goes. His tutor on the staff is most likely Legg. Guidry was a good coach, but he was most likely available to us because of his past and schools didn't want to be the ones to be his proving ground for his rehab. Then there's the new DC. Another guy with a shallow resume that is in way over his head and no one around to correct him because they're all in the same boat.

Then again so many mistakes are Football 101 that you'd think those like Huff that have been involved with the game as long as he has would no better.

Let's try and find a guy that has done something of his own and has earned a come up.
well here is that guy.... I tried to tell some on the last search committee about him, but they said his name was not brought up. I told them that's what search committees do, go find somebody!!!
plus he and his staff would be cheaper than what we currently have, but they would all be happy as we would probably doubt their salaries!!

and BTW look who else went thru IUP- the HC of the JMU Dukes!

Last edited:
well here is that guy.... I tried to tell some on the last search committee about him, but they said his name was not brought up. I told them that's what search committees do, go find somebody!!!
plus he and his staff would be cheaper than what we currently have, but they would all be happy as we would probably doubt their salaries!!
I'd just inquire with every top coach at the FCS level. The guy at Montana is intriguing. They're always pretty good. I know he failed at UNLV and I never want retreads, but how much of it is UNLV. He went right back to Montana and picked up where he left off.

There are guys with decently long track records of winning football at the FCS level.

Now let's look at the coaching connections for hires. Huff appears to have none. Maybe it's because he was young, but outside of Guidry it's been meh to horrible. Again a guy like Huff that has his sights on moving up should be surrounding himself with guys that can propel him forward. Instead he keeps going with shallow or bad resumes. So many our OJT coaches. Like Trickett. He had no system. No playbook. Everything he's doing he's coming up with as he goes. His tutor on the staff is most likely Legg. Guidry was a good coach, but he was most likely available to us because of his past and schools didn't want to be the ones to be his proving ground for his rehab. Then there's the new DC. Another guy with a shallow resume that is in way over his head and no one around to correct him because they're all in the same boat.

Then again so many mistakes are Football 101 that you'd think those like Huff that have been involved with the game as long as he has would no better.

I've said this forever. And connections matter big time. We are seeing that now - and not for the good.

When will Huff let another QB have a shot? Cam just does not have the passing mechanics to be successful. His throws are too high and hard for receivers to catch.

Fancher definitely needs to work on throwing it with touch. Some of these bullet passes are hard as hell to catch.

Goal posts continue to move!!!

This post is hilarious.

Someone in another thread said something along the lines of “we are no better than an 8-4 team”.

Oh darn. 8 wins just sucks.
Well, let me just say this, about that:
In year 3 of the Charles Huff regime, a second consecutive 8-4 regular season (given that we are currently 4-2 1-1) would mean a second consecutive 5-3 SBC East record, almost assuredly not winning the division and therefore a 3rd season of play w/o an appearance in a conference championship game.
When exactly is he going to advance the program?

Last edited:
Reactions: RhinoD and Jartard
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT