ADVERTISEMENT

Jon Elmore NBA

I’d think if he was late first, early second round he would go but not this far down. If the players we have that will be eligible next year are as good as they say, and with what we have coming back, we stand a good chance of elevating his profile via a very good team that stands a chance to win the conference.

Reactions: Herdmeister
The only way/reason you leave as the last projected pick in the draft is if you: 1. hate school or 2. need money....That pick is non guaranteed and rarely makes the squad. That spot would lead to a G league or european contract.....

I think he stays to get better, but also I think Danny has spoken with him about how special next years team could be if he does stay. A lot to be said about being a legacy on potentially one of the better teams to play at Marshall in the modern era. And have a legit shot at making the NCAA for the first time in 31 years. jmo.

Selfishly, I want him to stay next year so we can see just how good we can be. I want him to stay and shatter some MU records and get the national attention for himself and the team. However, Jon already turned 23 years old...and he's probably close to finishing undergrad, if he hasn't already. His dream is to play in the NBA, so he has to do what is best for him to get there and Herd fans need to be very supportive of whatever decision he makes.

Reactions: chuck1069
He is a smart kid, he will be back. Another good season and a great team next year and his stock will rise.

If professional basketball (whether in America or overseas) wants him, I think he'll go, and I'm okay with that. This is basically the opposite of the Chase Litton situation, where he's been a good player, a good teammate, a good student, and a good ambassador for the school. He's been honorable in all his dealings with Marshall, so fans should certainly return the favor.

Litton, not so much.

If you are picked outside the first round there is a high chance you never make the roster. I like Elmore a lot and think is he a very good college PG. I do not see him playing in the NBA. Think about the PGs in the NBA and who Elmore would be matched up against. I just don't think he's quick and athletic enough to stay with them on the floor. I like the kid a lot, but he should come back. This team next year has a real shot at making the tournament for the first time in 30+ years. Plus if he does that then it could only boost his stock.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
I could be completely wrong but I think he comes back. He is going to have an uphill climb to play in the NBA (given how the league drafts today) and if Europe is his only option, he will need to get mentally and physically ready for the grind that european basketball can be. I think Jon (based upon what I have seen of him) could have a very nice and financially sound career in Europe. He is good enough to play in the top leaques (Russia, Italy, Germany and Greece mainly) and possibly good enough to play Euroleague. I think, if he can find the right team, he could easily start out making $300-400k/year in Euroleague. DeAndre Kane is having a nice career right now with Maccabi Tel Aviv in Euroleague and I see no reason Jon couldnt get to that level after 1-2 years of successful play in a bigger league in Europe.

IMO a big mistake to leave MU after this year. Many folks just don't realize how quick and fast these NBA players truly are. Jon's a hard worker and makes the most of his talent but is not really setting the world on fire in a mid major conference. A very good player for CUSA but not for the NBA.

If he leaves, I wish him well and appreciate all his efforts for THE HERD.

Arent we all hoping he ends up with the Rockets playing for Mike? They have no draft picks this year OR next year according to a few websites (guess they traded all of them away). Best bet might be coming back for his senior year, getting drafted a little bit higher than last pick of 2nd round, playing in the G-League or in Europe and taking the Hassan Whiteside path to the League.

Reactions: CarolinaHerdzilla
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT