ADVERTISEMENT

Just here to say...

What does he do on his own time for Huntington? Not talking about things he does because they are part of his job. What does he do on his own time? Feed the hungry? Raise funds for charity? Support the fire/police? Support youth sports?

Head football coaches don’t really have “free time.”

It’s my understanding that Doc gets about 2-3 weeks a year away from football and that’s about it.

Other than that, they’re in or around the football offices (unless they’re on the road) 12-14 hour a day.

It’s my understanding that Doc gets about 2-3 weeks a year away from football and that’s about it.

Other than that, they’re in or around the football offices (unless they’re on the road) 12-14 hour a day.

Well, you understand wrong.

If that’s John’s annual schedule, then he is extremely inefficient with his time or worse at delegating responsibility than he is at winning championships.

In fairness, if I made the hires that he has, I’d probably refuse to delegate responsibility, too.

So you had another knee jerk reaction to defend John, insinuating he did stuff for the community, only to backpedal and make excuses for him when called out on it.

So you had another knee jerk reaction to defend John, insinuating he did stuff for the community, only to backpedal and make excuses for him when called out on it.

He just helped raise over $25,000 worth of gifts for underprivileged kids a week ago.

To my knowledge, that program didn't exist prior to his hiring.

Again, if you'd actually support the program, you'd be aware of such.

You don't though. You'd rather hide behind a user name on a message board rather than do anything to support the program.

I get it though. You're one of those.

So he works like most of us and works a lot. But somehow a few of us can still volunteer our free time for things like youth sports 9 months out of the year.

Reactions: Elkview
Well, you understand wrong.

If that’s John’s annual schedule, then he is extremely inefficient with his time or worse at delegating responsibility than he is at winning championships.

In fairness, if I made the hires that he has, I’d probably refuse to delegate responsibility, too.

Just relaying what I've heard.

Don't really understand why anyone would lie about such.

So he works like most of us and works a lot. But somehow a few of us can still volunteer our free time for things like youth sports 9 months out of the year.

You mean....you're being a good dad?

Congratulations. You're doing what you should be doing.

He just helped raise over $25,000 worth of gifts for underprivileged kids a week ago.

To my knowledge, that program didn't exist prior to his hiring.

Again, if you'd actually support the program, you'd be aware of such.

You don't though. You'd rather hide behind a user name on a message board rather than do anything to support the program.

I get it though. You're one of those.

You don't know shit about me. What, because Bleeds rode in the car with you on the way back from a game and told you some info now you presume to know everything about me?

I've supported the program through the years, been a member of Big Green (Central OH chapter) and helped with a lot of functions, but with your hero John at the helm, it's not happening anymore.

Judging by the fact that almost everyone on here (with the exception of 2 or 3 posters) can't stand you, I'm pretty sure you're the one with the problem.

Not so fast, I don’t just coach my son. Every Sunday morning I coach kids from age 6-9 in which my kid isn’t a part of. I’m there 10 hours every Sunday all over Connecticut. That’s on top of the hours I put in at work.

I guess I still don't get trying to have a pissing match over this.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
I guess I still don't get trying to have a pissing match over this.

There’s no need for one. You’ve pointed out one thing John does in his spare time to help the community, which he has as much spare time as many normal working folks and they seem to figure out how to do a hell of a lot more then he does. But I don’t fault him for that, I think he should spend more time going to football clinics put on around the country by superior coaches and learn how to be a better coach.

Well we do need more fans. That isn’t in support of a current coach or a new coach. That is just the facts. We need more donors. We need more alumni to actually donate not just talk about it. Trust me...I have spent more time than most working on new donors. People with plenty of money that could easily cut $1,000 check that don’t. It is t because of a coach or not being asked. It is because they say sure...and then don’t come through.

again this isn’t about supporting a coach or not as that is not my point. Would a new coach bring back some donors? Of course but there are plenty out there that wasn’t a donor before Doc, during Doc or won’t be after Doc. They just won’t come through. I can’t explain why.

which he has as much spare time as many normal working folks

Most of my normal working friends work 40-45 hours a week.

Doc and his staff do that in 4 days.That doesn't figure in the other three days a week they're working or that they're family men as well. I mean, outside of one or two of them, they all have wives and children on top of being a football coach.

I guess the idea that you're trying to prove that you're a better man is kind of petty IMO.

Doc and his staff do that in 4 days.That doesn't figure in the other three days a week they're working or that they're family men as well. I mean, outside of one or two of them, they all have wives and children on top of being a football coach.

I guess the idea that you're trying to prove that you're a better man is kind of petty IMO.

I’m not trying to prove anything, I’m making a point in which you really have no answer for, just excuses for John as usual

I’m not trying to prove anything, I’m making a point in which you really have no answer for, just excuses for John as usual

I already gave you an answer.

Unless you're working upwards of 75-80 hours a week then you're not working as many hours as they do.

Well, this must be the bowl edition of the post loss anti-Doc delusion thread, strangely turned personal.

Actually, team has a solid year, lost a couple we shouldn't have, won a few we shouldn't have too. Can't wait for next year.

Well, this must be the bowl edition of the post loss anti-Doc delusion thread, strangely turned personal.

Actually, team has a solid year, lost a couple we shouldn't have, won a few we shouldn't have too. Can't wait for next year.

What exactly did we accomplish? No division title, no conference title, no bowl win. Just eight hollow wins that didn’t lead to anything. If this was the basketball team that underachieved like this, you’d call for the program to be shut down.

Reactions: Elkview and Timtnt9

What ones did we win we shouldn’t have?? We were picked to win the East. So I would assume we were supposed to beat FAU. We beat La Tech but that one was at home once again at the start of the season as East division favorites we should beat conference mates at home. So please tell us what games we won that we shouldn’t have.

We squeaked by 6-6 Ohio U. We lost to Boise in a close game which was one of the better games we played all year. Had we won that one I would have said that’s one we won but probably shouldn’t have. Cincinnati nope, conference games losses to MTSU and Charlotte definitely in the shouldn’t have lost to category. I hope you don’t consider WKU Rice, ODU, FIU as games we won but shouldn’t have.

So I leave with this please tell me the games we won that we probably shouldn’t have.

What ones did we win we shouldn’t have?? We were picked to win the East. So I would assume we were supposed to beat FAU. We beat La Tech but that one was at home once again at the start of the season as East division favorites we should beat conference mates at home. So please tell us what games we won that we shouldn’t have.

We squeaked by 6-6 Ohio U. We lost to Boise in a close game which was one of the better games we played all year. Had we won that one I would have said that’s one we won but probably shouldn’t have. Cincinnati nope, conference games losses to MTSU and Charlotte definitely in the shouldn’t have lost to category. I hope you don’t consider WKU Rice, ODU, FIU as games we won but shouldn’t have.

So I leave with this please tell me the games we won that we probably shouldn’t have.

This is a fair assessment. The losses to MTSU and Charlotte were inexcusable.

The offense underperformed all year and was the cause of 4 of our 5 losses.

There’s no denying that college football coaches have long days during the season.

But outside of teaching, name me another profession where you get three weeks off straight for vacation in the summer, a week off for Christmas (most staffs), a week off after signing day, and usually 4-7 days off before spring ball prep starts.

Most FBS staffs are getting about 35-40 vacation days per year.

Last edited:

I honestly think you are mentally challenged

I honestly think you are mentally challenged
Samantha, Sowers, and Aaron have continued delusions of grandeur of an era that has long passed. I don't think Moss, Pennington, or Leftwich will be walking though that door and onto the field anytime soon.

I call bull shit

I can appreciate how hard and long they work. But like most of us, they chose their profession; and knew what was expected and the sacrifices made going in. Being paid 750K helps ease the sting of long hours as well.

I can appreciate how hard and long they work. But like most of us, they chose their profession; and knew what was expected and the sacrifices made going in. Being paid 750K helps ease the sting of long hours as well.

No one ever said they didn't or that they're using that as any kind of excuse.

I was simply using that as an example as to why his free time to do charity work is limited.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT