ADVERTISEMENT

Just My Opinion

Aug 11, 2014
This is just my opinion. Take it for what it's worth. If it upsets anyone, I'm sorry but like I said, this is just my opinion.

After reminiscing on the game on the drive home last night and having the chance to sleep on it, a few things come to mind. 1. I have read countless tweets about how "Cato would have done this, Cato would have done that, With Cato we would have won that game by 14,21,28+ points." We all love Cato, but it's time to accept the fact that the Cato era has passed. With that being said let me remind everyone of Cato's first trip to Athens. A 44-7 loss where he went 9-21 with 116 yards, 1 touchdown and 4 picks. So if Cato, a man we all grew to love, can't win in Athens, then why single out Birdsong for not being able to as well? Also, what happened after Caro's horrifying Ohio game? We went to VT and nearly knocked off a great team at their place! 2. We all need to remember that this is Bill Leggs first go around with a new quarterback. Him and Cato worked together for 4 years. Cato knew what Legg was thinking and Legg knew what Cato was thinking at all times. Birdsong and Legg have only had 2 games together at this point. There are obviously still going to be question marks. With that being said, there is still no excuse for some of the play calling. 3. It is our duty as fans to fully support our Thundering Herd. Through thick, thin, rain, shine, good games and bad games. I am completely appalled at the amount of fans throwing the towel in after one game, especially a game in Athens, where we have the hardest time playing to our ability. Throughout the game all I heard was how bad certain players are, how bad coaching is, how bad this and that is. When our team is struggling on the road, a fan base's sole duty is to show their team that they are committed to them enough to travel and SUPPORT them. How do you think it makes our team feel when we start booing OUR OWN TEAM?! To me, that is just disrespectful to not only our program, but our players, coaches, and many others. Not to mention, how does that make our fan base look to the opposing team? It shows a lack of support, commitment, and respect to our own program. And how are we supposed to expect them to turn the game around when we, their only form of support at the game, are booing them?! If you are a true fan, continue cheering and try to pick your team up. If you want to boo, boo from your couch so our team cannot hear your negativity. 4. This might have been the thing that got under my skin more than anything. AT NO POINT IN TIME, do I find it appropriate for ANY of our fan base, to take their negativity to social media and tag our players and coaches. Again, this is the team that we supposedly love and support. For us to tweet at players and coaches, saying things that I don't even want to repeat, is beyond ridiculous. I am completely unsure how those people can even remotely consider themselves as a Marshall fan with actions like that. If you want to single players and coaches out like that, then find another school, team, program to take your nonsense to. I would rather have have a small, loyal fan base than a large one with a bunch of fair weather fans. 5. We still have a lot of ball left to play. 600 minutes to be exact. There's no sense in letting 60 minutes affect the remaining 600. The atmosphere at the Joan against Purdue was absolutely amazing. Best atmosphere in a VERY LONG time. Please do not let a poor performance, at the cursed Peden stadium, affect the atmosphere at the Joan. If we truly support our boys, then we should show up even louder at the Joan to show that we are behind them. This years motto, "Giving 110%, is not only for our players, but US as fans as well. We need to give them 110% and help in the ways that we can. So we need to show up next weekend and let them know that due to one bad game, we're not going anywhere! We have all seen what Doc has done with this program since he took over the show. We all need to trust that he will make the right decision and get us back on track. He hit a speed bump last night going 100 miles an hour. It hurt, but let's bounce back, stay behind our ENTIRE PROGRAM, and do everything that we as fans can do. STAY SUPPORTIVE and #BeHerd

Reactions: Cherobee
Cato was a true freshman with a crappy line, and his best running back was Travon Van. Birdsong is a seasoned QB with a much lower ceiling than what Cato had in 2011. We also had no other choice except a head case who got kicked off the team. The VT game you mentioned happened a full two years after the 2011 Athens debacle. Birdsong will have graduated by then.

Obviously, I do agree about tagging players on social media. That's ridiculous. The play-calling was also terrible. I counted about 7 swing passes to Foster with maybe 1 having any success.

You're preaching to the choir here about staying supportive. Most of us here will be at the Norfolk game rain or shine, but the truth is that the performance last night cost us the casual fan and makes the ceiling for the rest of the season a pre-Christmas bowl game in Florida.

Reactions: beefcake0520
This is just my opinion. Take it for what it's worth. If it upsets anyone, I'm sorry but like I said, this is just my opinion.

After reminiscing on the game on the drive home last night and having the chance to sleep on it, a few things come to mind. 1. I have read countless tweets about how "Cato would have done this, Cato would have done that, With Cato we would have won that game by 14,21,28+ points." We all love Cato, but it's time to accept the fact that the Cato era has passed. With that being said let me remind everyone of Cato's first trip to Athens. A 44-7 loss where he went 9-21 with 116 yards, 1 touchdown and 4 picks. So if Cato, a man we all grew to love, can't win in Athens, then why single out Birdsong for not being able to as well? Also, what happened after Caro's horrifying Ohio game? We went to VT and nearly knocked off a great team at their place! 2. We all need to remember that this is Bill Leggs first go around with a new quarterback. Him and Cato worked together for 4 years. Cato knew what Legg was thinking and Legg knew what Cato was thinking at all times. Birdsong and Legg have only had 2 games together at this point. There are obviously still going to be question marks. With that being said, there is still no excuse for some of the play calling. 3. It is our duty as fans to fully support our Thundering Herd. Through thick, thin, rain, shine, good games and bad games. I am completely appalled at the amount of fans throwing the towel in after one game, especially a game in Athens, where we have the hardest time playing to our ability. Throughout the game all I heard was how bad certain players are, how bad coaching is, how bad this and that is. When our team is struggling on the road, a fan base's sole duty is to show their team that they are committed to them enough to travel and SUPPORT them. How do you think it makes our team feel when we start booing OUR OWN TEAM?! To me, that is just disrespectful to not only our program, but our players, coaches, and many others. Not to mention, how does that make our fan base look to the opposing team? It shows a lack of support, commitment, and respect to our own program. And how are we supposed to expect them to turn the game around when we, their only form of support at the game, are booing them?! If you are a true fan, continue cheering and try to pick your team up. If you want to boo, boo from your couch so our team cannot hear your negativity. 4. This might have been the thing that got under my skin more than anything. AT NO POINT IN TIME, do I find it appropriate for ANY of our fan base, to take their negativity to social media and tag our players and coaches. Again, this is the team that we supposedly love and support. For us to tweet at players and coaches, saying things that I don't even want to repeat, is beyond ridiculous. I am completely unsure how those people can even remotely consider themselves as a Marshall fan with actions like that. If you want to single players and coaches out like that, then find another school, team, program to take your nonsense to. I would rather have have a small, loyal fan base than a large one with a bunch of fair weather fans. 5. We still have a lot of ball left to play. 600 minutes to be exact. There's no sense in letting 60 minutes affect the remaining 600. The atmosphere at the Joan against Purdue was absolutely amazing. Best atmosphere in a VERY LONG time. Please do not let a poor performance, at the cursed Peden stadium, affect the atmosphere at the Joan. If we truly support our boys, then we should show up even louder at the Joan to show that we are behind them. This years motto, "Giving 110%, is not only for our players, but US as fans as well. We need to give them 110% and help in the ways that we can. So we need to show up next weekend and let them know that due to one bad game, we're not going anywhere! We have all seen what Doc has done with this program since he took over the show. We all need to trust that he will make the right decision and get us back on track. He hit a speed bump last night going 100 miles an hour. It hurt, but let's bounce back, stay behind our ENTIRE PROGRAM, and do everything that we as fans can do. STAY SUPPORTIVE and #BeHerd

Paragraphs are your friend dude!

Cato was a true freshman with a crappy line, and his best running back was Travon Van. Birdsong is a seasoned QB with a much lower ceiling than what Cato had in 2011. We also had no other choice except a head case who got kicked off the team. The VT game you mentioned happened a full two years after the 2011 Athens debacle. Birdsong will have graduated by then.

Obviously, I do agree about tagging players on social media. That's ridiculous. The play-calling was also terrible. I counted about 7 swing passes to Foster with maybe 1 having any success.

You're preaching to the choir here about staying supportive. Most of us here will be at the Norfolk game rain or shine, but the truth is that the performance last night cost us the casual fan and makes the ceiling for the rest of the season a pre-Christmas bowl game in Florida.

Our offensive line looked pretty crappy to me saturday night. And the play calling was atrocious. The teams performance sadly cost us fans. Not birdsongs

I think it bears mentioning that there was the 2011 Debacle in Athens, a 2013 Debacle in Athens, and now a 2015 Debacle in Athens.

At some point I think you just admit that Frank Solich is a hell of a coach, and Doc never sees it coming.

I think it bears mentioning that there was the 2011 Debacle in Athens, a 2013 Debacle in Athens, and now a 2015 Debacle in Athens.

At some point I think you just admit that Frank Solich is a hell of a coach, and Doc never sees it coming.

Thank the lord we don't play in 2017.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT