ADVERTISEMENT

Kathy Griffin or this chick?

People with Downs are usually the most kind-hearted you'll ever meet.

Not sure how I feel about this. If VS were doing this to give a platform for the disabled to be celebrated, then I'd applaud it.

But, like most fake ass corporations, I think they are just using this girl as a woke token to wave around and virtue signal.

People with Downs are usually the most kind-hearted you'll ever meet.

Not sure how I feel about this. If VS were doing this to give a platform for the disabled to be celebrated, then I'd applaud it.

But, like most fake ass corporations, I think they are just using this girl as a woke token to wave around and virtue signal.
Back in the 80s I taught special education for a few years and I had several downs kids during that time in my class. They were simultaneously kind-hearted with a streak of stubborn mixed in. I have mixed emotions also. On one hand...more power to this young girl if she's truly living her dream. On the other hand it seems exploitive for the reasons you state. The truth be told, most of these kids, challenged or not, are exploited. Modeling just hasn't produced many happy endings (not what I meant 06). Usually it's a mother living vicariously through their daughter dressing up their kids like they were a Barbie doll.

There’s a South Park episode where the handicapped kids join the crips. A running joke in the episode is when main characters figured out the premise, they got uncomfortable & just said “I don’t want any part of this” & walked off screen. That’s his I feel about this.

There’s a South Park episode where the handicapped kids join the crips. A running joke in the episode is when main characters figured out the premise, they got uncomfortable & just said “I don’t want any part of this” & walked off screen. That’s his I feel about this.
I've heard the creators talk about Timmy and any other handicap characters on their show. I was surprised to hear that they make it a point to show that the rest of the South Park Elementary kids accept them.

Now, they do give them shit and/or make fun of them, but they do that to EVERYONE, and I've never felt like it was mean spirited. I grew a little more respect for those guys when I learned about what they were doing. I think/hope handicapped/disabled people would appreciate what they see on South Park and feel good that they were fully accepted and treated the same as their peers.

I’m pretty liberal when it comes to letting individuals make their own decisions. My uneasiness with this is that individuals with Down Syndrome generally have mild to moderate diminished mental capability. I want to be very clear that I’m not making fun of her or people with disabilities, but Down Syndrome tends to produce fairly identifiable facial characteristics. Sexualizing specific individuals who may not be fully capable of making sound mental decisions & can be visually identified concerns me for their safety.

I’m pretty liberal when it comes to letting individuals make their own decisions. My uneasiness with this is that individuals with Down Syndrome generally have mild to moderate diminished mental capability. I want to be very clear that I’m not making fun of her or people with disabilities, but Down Syndrome tends to produce fairly identifiable facial characteristics. Sexualizing specific individuals who may not be fully capable of making sound mental decisions & can be visually identified concerns me for their safety.
My take as well.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT