Akron
Toledo again
Northern Iowa
MTSU
ODU
UTSA
WKU twice
one random team we should beat.

Idiotic Pod system - once, as we will be in pod 3 with the other crap teams.

I don’t like this “poll” but I’ll play along. Last years team won 23 games, they only give you one loss regardless of the margin. For this years team, I say once-Toledo.

ND may be the worst team in the ACC, bottom three for sure.
I think Marshall will be competitive at least Friday night.

MU 67- Robert Morris 60 (MU home game)
Notre Dame 92 - Robert Morris 57 (UND home game)

UND called off the dogs or it would have been worse. With no legitimate teams to play for almost 2 week (Dec. 4 @ Maryland) there is no real reason not to globetrotter it up. This game will certainly be the second 20 point beatdown of the many to come, but has a chance of being the first of the several 30+ point beatdowns to come.

Reactions: ilmherdfan
I don’t like this “poll” but I’ll play along. Last years team won 23 games, they only give you one loss regardless of the margin. For this years team, I say once-Toledo.

The point of the poll.. Only reason we had 20+ wins is pay-to-play post-season. Many say we were better then your average NCAA team last year. But, the average 20+ point losses for an average team is 1 to 3 a year, we had 5. Why? The "System" someone runs. We leave ourselves open for blowouts. I wouldn't even call it feast or fathom when we have a good win it's by 10, but if we lose there is a better then average change of being humiliated.

Last edited:
Maybe so but losing to UNC is Chapel Hill by 11 certainly isn't a blowout.

Lol, I watched that game, you were probably watching women’s soccer. ;):D

Both teams were awful except for Anthony. I never come to conclusions watching the first game of the year.
I’m saying to you ND isn’t very good and this is Marshall’s chance to break out.
C’mon man have some faith in yore team. :)

Summing up Sunday: Youth was served...up on a silver platter. I hope Jannson and Darius come around in South Bend. Toledo was a veteran team and everything they threw up went in (they'll likely not shoot so lucky during the rest of the season), so I'm not all that disappointed. We had plenty of open shots. We are searching for continuity.

No consistent shooters on this team. At least not right now. We are missing a "go to guy" that can get us a basket when we really need one. Will miss Elmore and Burks to help us pull out some of these games.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
Summing up Sunday: Youth was served...up on a silver platter. I hope Jannson and Darius come around in South Bend. Toledo was a veteran team and everything they threw up went in (they'll likely not shoot so lucky during the rest of the season), so I'm not all that disappointed. We had plenty of open shots. We are searching for continuity.

Understanding football and basketball are different animals, this is what I'm talking about when I say there are double-standards in place.

Dan is in his 6th season as our basketball coach, which is no different than Doc being in his 10th season as a football coach, but for whatever reason, I've seen a lot of excuses made from people that are normally pointing fingers. Why is that?

I'm not accusing @Tim Hensley here, but simply using his post as an example. I'm not even here to point fingers at Dan. I'm simply calling out people that typically come to this board after a loss on Saturday to unleash holy hell on Doc and anybody that attempts to speak on his behalf.

To be honest, I tend to agree with Tim's assessment. Marshall was over matched and Toledo was ON FIRE, but that those are still excuses in the eyes of some. Let's just call a spade and spade and realize there is a double-standard in place. That's all I'm saying.

Kind of the point of the poll.. Only reason we had 20+ wins is pay-to-play post-season. Many say we were better then your average NCAA team last year. But, the average 20+ point losses for an average team is 1 to 3 a year, we had 5. Why? The "System" someone runs. We leave ourselves open for blowouts. I wouldn't even call it feast or fathom when we have a good win it's by 10, but if we lose there is a better then average change of being humiliated.

Don’t you dare talk about Dan that way! He wears a hillbilly shirt! And embraces the state! And goes and gets kids from the state no one else wants! And he makes us proud with his mediocre teams! Go Herd! And Go Dan!

Reactions: The Real SamC
ND may be the worst team in the ACC, bottom three for sure.
I think Marshall will be competitive at least Friday night.
Bottom 3 in the ACC is still pretty good. I know 1 preseason poll had them at # 41..they were up by 5 in second half at UNC. We will be alot better by the end of the season especially once we get Andrew Taylor.. we got no chance at ND

there are double-standards in place.

Why is that?

Multiple reasons.

- Personality. Dan is hard not to like as a person. He would probably be a great guy to sit and have a beer with (as is my uncle Charlie, who likewise should not be coaching Div I basketball). Doc has the personality of uncooked cream of wheat.

- Doc wore the, shudder, blue and yellow.

- Huntington people want the “hometown hero comes back and saves us” meme to be true. It can be (BP, MH), it can also be poison (KOM, GW).

- Dan speaks in coachspeak. “110%” “out work the other team” “we wanted it more” and other such nonsense. Doc tells things like they are.

- Similarly, MU people want to think you can recruit West Virginia and form the core of a good team. Dan does that, Doc does not. Unfortunately, you can recruit WV and have a core of good team. If you play in the MEC.

- Faded glory. MU fandom is more than just Huntington. We are southern WV’s team, and Dan represents a time when southern WV was still great, and people can play pretend it still is so. Been to Mullens lately?

- Spoiled/unspoiled. Football fans saw one of the great runs for what today would be called a G5 team. They think it should be easy, and in doing so belittle the greatness of BP’s accomplishments. Basketball has sucked for 30 years, a crumb is considered a feast.

Yes, we have a very bad double standard. However this football season turns out, which is now certain to be anywhere from nearly great to certainly good, the usual suspects will belittle it. However this basketball season turns out, and anybody who thinks anything but “woefully outmatched team get shell shocked game after game” doesn’t know anything about basketball, will get plenty of excuses and predicting of future greatness.

Understanding football and basketball are different animals, this is what I'm talking about when I say there are double-standards in place.

Doc loses to MTSU...
"FIRE DOC!!!"

Dan loses to Toledo...
"Stay the course. Don't panic. Plenty of season left to win this thing."

Dan gets a lot of cachet from being the only MU HC to win a NCAA Tournament game. However just like Doc's 2014 Championship that luster is going to wear off the further we get.

To this point it does not appear Dan was able to capitalize off of that appearance and win. Recruiting does appear to have gotten a boost and most all of that momentum has seemed to dissipate.

- Dan speaks in coachspeak. “110%” “out work the other team” “we wanted it more” and other such nonsense. Doc tells things like they are.

source.gif

Dan is in his 6th season as our basketball coach, which is no different than Doc being in his 10th season as a football coach, but for whatever reason, I've seen a lot of excuses made from people that are normally pointing fingers. Why is that?

I'm not accusing @Tim Hensley here, but simply using his post as an example. I'm not even here to point fingers at Dan. I'm simply calling out people that typically come to this board after a loss on Saturday to unleash holy hell on Doc and anybody that attempts to speak on his behalf.

To be honest, I tend to agree with Tim's assessment. Marshall was over matched and Toledo was ON FIRE, but that those are still excuses in the eyes of some. Let's just call a spade and spade and realize there is a double-standard in place. That's all I'm saying.
He is in his 6th season. Has one conference championship, been in other appearances in the title game, and won an NCAA tournament game beating a 4 seed which if we try to equate to football would be closer to winning a New Year's day bowl game and not the let's go play Northern Illinois in The Gasparilla Boca Raton Lawn Mower Bowl.

Plus, Marshall basketball had not done jack squat since 1987 except for a year in there when we lost to UTC at the buzzer in the Southern Conference championship game . Maybe a JR Vanhoose highlight in there somewhere with Tamar Slay.

If there is a higher standard for football, then so be it. Maybe there should be. Marshall had a high G5 program for many years and was at the top of the division it played in for many. Marshall basketball was a dumpster fire.

Throw in Hamrick's contract extensions for Doc and the fact that the schedules got easier by design and the fact CUSA got a hell of a lot easier, then there is some animosity where football is concerned at rightfully so. CUSA is a hell of a lot easier in football than it is in basketball.

So, you can talk about a double standard and maybe there is. It is probably justified.

The only things I can figure is that every basketball game is not as important as every football game. Nobody in our conference will go undefeated in or out of conference. Given that, a loss here and there isn't as big of deal. Dan losing 12 is the same as John losing 4.

The other thing is that we tend to play bigger names OOC in basketball and the conference is better at hoops than football.

Last thing, John gets a lot more to work with than Dan from a resources stand point.

Personally, I'm not ecstatic over either one. Our basketball team just doesn't pass the eye test, seems to lack athleticism, I hate that we don't rebound either end of the floor. The football team is boring and predictable, just don't like the style and I think John sucks the swagger out of the team with his conservative nature.

The only things I can figure is that every basketball game is not as important as every football game.

The other thing is that we tend to play bigger names OOC in basketball and the conference is better at hoops than football.

CUSA positively stinks at basketball. It is a one-bid league that no one outside of its the 6-8 teams that actually try’s fanbases and degenerate gamblers take any notice of at all. We should dominate it.

And, yes, it is true that one of 12 is more important than one of 30. Roughly one-third. Is there any doubt that the basketball team will not lose three times the game the football team will? Five times seems more likely.

CUSA positively stinks at basketball. It is a one-bid league that no one outside of its the 6-8 teams that actually try’s fanbases and degenerate gamblers take any notice of at all. We should dominate it.

And, yes, it is true that one of 12 is more important than one of 30. Roughly one-third. Is there any doubt that the basketball team will not lose three times the game the football team will? Five times seems more likely.

Well, we are the worst FBS football conference, filled with several schools that haven't even had a team for 20 years. On the flip side in basketball we have several teams that have had significant success and are consistently ranked higher as a basketball conference then we are in football.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT