ADVERTISEMENT

Leave it to Chad P to say it out loud to the B.o.G. !!

W-S HerdFan

Platinum Buffalo
Aug 14, 2002
Sarasota, FL
From this morning’s HD:

Those comments came in response to current board member and former Marshall football player Chad Pennington, who expressed concerns about the optics of such a large financial commitment, be it through private funds or otherwise, for the athletic department as a whole.
“I think my biggest concern, if you will, would be the presentation of this and making sure that as we put out the information about the video and scoreboard with the improvements we’re trying to make, that we’re also addressing other everyday concerns of maintenance around athletics that probably should’ve been done yesterday,” Pennington said in the athletics committee meeting before the full Board of Governors meeting.

He referenced the list of deferred maintenance projects that the athletic department has and spoke to the need for the continual improvement of facilities across the whole department to enhance the experience for student athletes and coaches alike.
“Similar to our university as a whole, athletically speaking, we have a lot of deferred maintenance projects, a lot of things we’ve got to do to make sure the experience for both our coaches and student athlete is better,” Pennington said. “We certainly don’t want this to be something where we’ve gone ahead and gotten a big video scoreboard but we’re not taking care of simple things like bathrooms and stuff like that.”
Bingo!!

From this morning’s HD:

Those comments came in response to current board member and former Marshall football player Chad Pennington, who expressed concerns about the optics of such a large financial commitment, be it through private funds or otherwise, for the athletic department as a whole.
“I think my biggest concern, if you will, would be the presentation of this and making sure that as we put out the information about the video and scoreboard with the improvements we’re trying to make, that we’re also addressing other everyday concerns of maintenance around athletics that probably should’ve been done yesterday,” Pennington said in the athletics committee meeting before the full Board of Governors meeting.

He referenced the list of deferred maintenance projects that the athletic department has and spoke to the need for the continual improvement of facilities across the whole department to enhance the experience for student athletes and coaches alike.
“Similar to our university as a whole, athletically speaking, we have a lot of deferred maintenance projects, a lot of things we’ve got to do to make sure the experience for both our coaches and student athlete is better,” Pennington said. “We certainly don’t want this to be something where we’ve gone ahead and gotten a big video scoreboard but we’re not taking care of simple things like bathrooms and stuff like that.”
Bingo!!
I listened to part of the meeting and saw on the slides that Joan/Cam bathroom renovations, Shewey renovations, and joan/cam concourse/concession renovations were on there. They were all approved, although it was mentioned that anything over 1 mil will have to be approved individually.

The CFO did mention that they might have a funding source for the vast majority and possibly all of the master plan/capital projects. Exciting times for everyone IMO.

From this morning’s HD:

Bingo!!
Chad is a smart guy, he's been around (to other university and professional stadiums) and he's seen the good and bad... He understands what most of us on here understand with the exception of a few dopes who don't care to rub elbows with each other while they piss into a hole in the cement wall because the trough is rusted out.

The bathrooms in the Joan need done. They've needed done for a decade.

Same with the concession stands. There are high schools with better concessions than what we have, both in terms of the facilities and the food/beverage offerings. Let alone other FBS universities.

General maintenance is not something you let go for 20 years and then try to fix all at once. I'm glad that the BOG is finally taking the proper approach to maintaining our facilities.

Video boards are awesome, sound systems are great, etc... But if you want to leave average fans (especially women/children) with a good impression start with clean, well lit bathrooms, and the ability to get some food that isn't plastic nacho cheese or 400 degree hot dogs that were "cooked" 8 hours ago.

Chad is a smart guy, he's been around (to other university and professional stadiums) and he's seen the good and bad... He understands what most of us on here understand with the exception of a few dopes who don't care to rub elbows with each other while they piss into a hole in the cement wall because the trough is rusted out.

Same with the concession stands. There are high schools with better concessions than what we have, both in terms of the facilities and the food/beverage offerings. Let alone other FBS universities.

General maintenance is not something you let go for 20 years and then try to fix all at once. I'm glad that the BOG is finally taking the proper approach to maintaining our facilities.

Video boards are awesome, sound systems are great, etc... But if you want to leave average fans (especially women/children) with a good impression start with clean, well lit bathrooms, and the ability to get some food that isn't plastic nacho cheese or 400 degree hot dogs that were "cooked" 8 hours ago.
This 1000% !!!!

Reactions: Elkview
It seems to me that the rationale for many schools has been new buildings bring in new money. All the while turning a deaf ear to the need to upgrade current facilities

Well said!
Too bad our previous AD and possibly new one seem to have been lost on this thought.

Reactions: HerdGrad1999
Did you guys notice that the Shewey building was rated the worst level for building condition on campus?

Reactions: luckytoes99

I’ve tried to make these points before regarding our current bathrooms/concessions and got the “True Fan” lecture. Maybe because I usually bring it up in relation to no Re-entry, because I think it’s garbage to hold people inside when our restroom and concession choices are garbage.

Hopefully people are coming around.

I’ve tried to make these points before regarding our current bathrooms/concessions and got the “True Fan” lecture. Maybe because I usually bring it up in relation to no Re-entry, because I think it’s garbage to hold people inside when our restroom and concession choices are garbage.

Hopefully people are coming around.
I've been on the bathroom repairs/upgrades train for as long as I can remember... Its not like they're just old, they're gross (a solid 1/4 inch deep urine puddle throughout and a smell that can only be described as "nauseating")

Maybe when we finally install individual urinals, that flush, I can have a little bronze placard made to put above one of the handles with my herdnation tag engraved on it. Lol

I love how you seemingly forget the food is signed under contract with companies who provide the food and it's affordable cost.

Of course, to get what you're asking for is to sever the contract with Sodexo and bring in other vendors, who will have to jack the prices up to make profit...this is, of course ignoring the droning on and on about how poor the area is and how lack of affordable ticket packages, hurt the attendance.
Furthermore, to afford bulk, you'll likely have to reduce quality in favor of quantity...as well as quick and easy preparation.
Do you really think a local business could keep their quality of food the same, while preparing for potentially 10,000 people every home game in a booth at the stadium?

I'm all for local businesses having trucks set up in the concourse as part of the food vendors but the contracts signed for the largest provider, likely disallows that, and the local vendors wouldn't be able to keep up with the demand while keeping prices relatively low and food quality high.
What you're asking for isn't particularly sustainable at our level.

The way I'm reading Chads comments is that MU does have funding for the projects involving the bathrooms but MU should treat the transparency in reporting them as much as the new scoreboard.
I agree that is good but I have never heard of a fan not attending an MU game (or refusing to) because the bathrooms were bad. If that has ever happened, please, someone smack them in the face.
I would say an attraction for a casual fan would be to see and experience the game with one of the nation's largest video boards, and not experiencing the bathrooms.
I have also said, if you're that upset that your pee pee is scared when you enter the bathrooms, then please, start a fundraiser on here, or somewhere, raise the funds. Tell Spears this is for the bathrooms, and that's that.
That would require planning/organizing and WVians aren't always the best at such things.

In short, you're going to market and pay for the things that the majority of people are going to want to be a part of. Seeing yourself on the jumbotron at a game is far more enjoyable than the time spent in the crapper.

I've been on the bathroom repairs/upgrades train for as long as I can remember... Its not like they're just old, they're gross (a solid 1/4 inch deep urine puddle throughout and a smell that can only be described as "nauseating")

Maybe when we finally install individual urinals, that flush, I can have a little bronze placard made to put above one of the handles with my herdnation tag engraved on it. Lol

That would be the pinnacle of the existence of many on here.

Some advocate for a winning coach. Others, a solid set of facilities for athletes. You and some, the most remarkable place to take a dump.

I know I always enjoy when the band starts playing, the cheerleaders start the WAM chant, the ****ing idiot that does the music starts a rap song, all at the same time. Good times!

I know I always enjoy when the band starts playing, the cheerleaders start the WAM chant, the ****ing idiot that does the music starts a rap song, all at the same time. Good times!

Spears has worked in an NFL level football facility, I'm sure he's aware, or will soon be made aware, of that sh*tshow.

I do miss the times WAM chants. Usually with like 4 mins in the half of both halves. Nothing played, nothing announced, and just the WAM chant happened.
The band coordinated the wave during games.
The cheerleaders got their spotlight.

At one time, everything did work in its own way and it was great.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
Spears has worked in an NFL level football facility, I'm sure he's aware, or will soon be made aware, of that sh*tshow.

I do miss the times WAM chants. Usually with like 4 mins in the half of both halves. Nothing played, nothing announced, and just the WAM chant happened.
The band coordinated the wave during games.
The cheerleaders got their spotlight.

At one time, everything did work in its own way and it was great.
Agree.

I love how you seemingly forget the food is signed under contract with companies who provide the food and it's affordable cost.

Of course, to get what you're asking for is to sever the contract with Sodexo and bring in other vendors, who will have to jack the prices up to make profit...this is, of course ignoring the droning on and on about how poor the area is and how lack of affordable ticket packages, hurt the attendance.
Furthermore, to afford bulk, you'll likely have to reduce quality in favor of quantity...as well as quick and easy preparation.
Do you really think a local business could keep their quality of food the same, while preparing for potentially 10,000 people every home game in a booth at the stadium?

I'm all for local businesses having trucks set up in the concourse as part of the food vendors but the contracts signed for the largest provider, likely disallows that, and the local vendors wouldn't be able to keep up with the demand while keeping prices relatively low and food quality high.
* What you're asking for isn't particularly sustainable at our level.

The way I'm reading Chads comments is that MU does have funding for the projects involving the bathrooms but MU should treat the transparency in reporting them as much as the new scoreboard.
** I agree that is good but I have never heard of a fan not attending an MU game (or refusing to) because the bathrooms were bad. If that has ever happened, please, someone smack them in the face.
I would say an attraction for a casual fan would be to see and experience the game with one of the nation's largest video boards, and not experiencing the bathrooms.
*** I have also said, if you're that upset that your pee pee is scared when you enter the bathrooms, then please, start a fundraiser on here, or somewhere, raise the funds. Tell Spears this is for the bathrooms, and that's that. That would require planning/organizing and WVians aren't always the best at such things.

In short, you're going to market and pay for the things that the majority of people are going to want to be a part of. Seeing yourself on the jumbotron at a game is far more enjoyable than the time spent in the crapper.
I'll take this in pieces –

* It is sustainable at our level... We have among the worst food offerings of any college stadium I've ever been to and I've been to close to 100 of them between FBS and FCS. If Western Carolina, UT Chattanooga, Western Kentucky, Georgia Southern, etc (not exactly bastions of wealth) can do better, we can do better too... I get it that Notre Dame, Ohio State, Clemson, etc are going to have more options than we do. But we can do better that what we have currently and not even have to break any contracts with Sodexo. They sell better quality products, just change what we buy and how much of it we buy. In order to prepare some of those better products, the concession stands will need new equipment and people who are trained to use it (shockingly, not everything can be microwaved and stuck in a warming bin).

** I'm guessing you don't go to games with many women/young people. My wife and step kids comment on it every time we are in Huntington and they always get the same sad nods of agreement from the women/kids around us. No one is asking for the Taj Mahal of pissers, just a little bit above "disgusting." I don't care to piss in a hole in the wall where a rusted drainpipe used to be, but if you don't think things like restrooms leave an impression on people, you're wildly mistaken... If you go to someone's home and their restroom is train wreck do you not look differently at that person? How about a nice restaurant with gross bathrooms?.. I bet you do... Is that what we want people (not diehards) thinking of when they think of our stadium?

*** Many of us, who have given a lot of money to MU through various avenues but especially athletics, have let Hamrick and now Spears know what we thought of the maintenance of the Joan. Replacing the restrooms is in the pipeline, no need for a fundraiser.

A good reference point would be Bowling Green stadium. Very wide concourse, good concession stands, and immaculate restrooms.

Reactions: RhinoD
Yeah, TwolfHerdfan, but just think how much more impressive that whole Clusterf*@k scenario will appear when viewed and heard on, and through, our spanking new Jumbo Video Board!!!!

• Haha
Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
I'll take this in pieces –

* It is sustainable at our level... We have among the worst food offerings of any college stadium I've ever been to and I've been to close to 100 of them between FBS and FCS. If Western Carolina, UT Chattanooga, Western Kentucky, Georgia Southern, etc (not exactly bastions of wealth) can do better, we can do better too... I get it that Notre Dame, Ohio State, Clemson, etc are going to have more options than we do. But we can do better that what we have currently and not even have to break any contracts with Sodexo. They sell better quality products, just change what we buy and how much of it we buy. In order to prepare some of those better products, the concession stands will need new equipment and people who are trained to use it (shockingly, not everything can be microwaved and stuck in a warming bin).

** I'm guessing you don't go to games with many women/young people. My wife and step kids comment on it every time we are in Huntington and they always get the same sad nods of agreement from the women/kids around us. No one is asking for the Taj Mahal of pissers, just a little bit above "disgusting." I don't care to piss in a hole in the wall where a rusted drainpipe used to be, but if you don't think things like restrooms leave an impression on people, you're wildly mistaken... If you go to someone's home and their restroom is train wreck do you not look differently at that person? How about a nice restaurant with gross bathrooms?.. I bet you do... Is that what we want people (not diehards) thinking of when they think of our stadium?

*** Many of us, who have given a lot of money to MU through various avenues but especially athletics, have let Hamrick and now Spears know what we thought of the maintenance of the Joan. Replacing the restrooms is in the pipeline, no need for a fundraiser.

"Let's just change what we buy..."
Yeah, so simple to do that. As simple as the AD scheduling Alabama because, "durrr all it takes is a phone call, durrrr."

You're comparing a stadium with a billion other issues on the yearly that require attention, to a restaurant or a person's home? The former being something where tens of thousands of people are in, at one time and the former house, maybe 2 at a time?
Somehow the two are the same? Nah dude, not even close.

So what do you want? "I don't want them to be disgusting" alright, define that.
Not sure where you sit, the section I have been in, the only major problem has been an occasional line.

As for other stadiums, I have been to a few and I really don't have an opinion of them because I know it's likely the messiest place in the stadium (minus the team I'm cheering for on the field). I certainly don't have a desire to die on the hill of literal sh*t because the stadium can use a ton of upgrades.
But hey, maybe your victory will be achieved, and you can stand proud outside of the bathrooms and tell every single person who walks in, to thank you because you improved their pissing experience.

This new scoreboard is akin to putting a Rolls-Royce hood ornament on a ‘91 Chevy Caprice. 😉
I agree many new things need upgraded but do you sit in the bathroom or eat all game. The scoreboard enhancement has the most immediate impact on the total game experience. I’m fine with it but we do need the bathrooms and stands re worked. Also improved cell coverage on game day would Be great

What you're asking for isn't particularly sustainable at our level.

I agree that is good but I have never heard of a fan not attending an MU game (or refusing to) because the bathrooms were bad. If that has ever happened, please, someone smack them in the face.
I have also said, if you're that upset that your pee pee is scared when you enter the bathrooms, then please, start a fundraiser on here, or somewhere, raise the funds. Tell Spears this is for the bathrooms, and that's that.
That would require planning/organizing and WVians aren't always the best at such things.

Bullshit on the food. I go to our “a” baseball team games and can get good food for about $5-$7 dollars. It can be done

Bullshit on the food. I go to our “a” baseball team games and can get good food for about $5-$7 dollars. It can be done
Agreed. And once you’re inside, your normal frugality has to go into background anyways. You pay the freight, ‘cause it’s the only watering hole in these here parts…….

"Let's just change what we buy..."
Yeah, so simple to do that. As simple as the AD scheduling Alabama because, "durrr all it takes is a phone call, durrrr."
It literally is as easy as a couple of phone calls/emails to change what we buy and the quantity of it... We have a person/people that do that purchasing. Give them some guidance on some better offerings and allow them to do there job. Sodexo is a huge company and they are capable of handling MU changing its purchasing, especially if we do it pre-season. Ordering food and scheduling Alabama are not the same, there is one Alabama, Sodexo services hundreds, if not thousands, of major venues/businesses. Single-A baseball (as pointed out above) can do it, we can do it too.

You're comparing a stadium with a billion other issues on the yearly that require attention, to a restaurant or a person's home? The former being something where tens of thousands of people are in, at one time and the former house, maybe 2 at a time?
Somehow the two are the same? Nah dude, not even close.
I'm comparing places with gross bathrooms, regardless of scale... It leaves a bad impression, and you know it. And if our stadium, which sits empty 95 percent of the year, has "billions" of other issues, we are in trouble.

So what do you want? "I don't want them to be disgusting" alright, define that.
Not sure where you sit, the section I have been in, the only major problem has been an occasional line.
I sit about 40 yard line on the visitors side... The visitors side pissers consistently have 1/4 inch of water/piss mixture on the floor. Half the lights are burned out. The paint is pealing off the stalls. The troughs are rusting/rusted out. And the smell ranges from "normal public bathroom" to "vomit-inducing."

As for other stadiums, I have been to a few and I really don't have an opinion of them because I know it's likely the messiest place in the stadium (minus the team I'm cheering for on the field). I certainly don't have a desire to die on the hill of literal sh*t because the stadium can use a ton of upgrades.
But hey, maybe your victory will be achieved, and you can stand proud outside of the bathrooms and tell every single person who walks in, to thank you because you improved their pissing experience.
I will be more than happy if I don't have to hear people bitch about how awful their experience is and how their shoes are wet, etc. No need for thank you's, the people who understand basic tourism/hospitality will all get to have a grin when the improvements are made.

It literally is as easy as a couple of phone calls/emails to change what we buy and the quantity of it... We have a person/people that do that purchasing. Give them some guidance on some better offerings and allow them to do there job. Sodexo is a huge company and they are capable of handling MU changing its purchasing, especially if we do it pre-season. Ordering food and scheduling Alabama are not the same, there is one Alabama, Sodexo services hundreds, if not thousands, of major venues/businesses. Single-A baseball (as pointed out above) can do it, we can do it too.

I'm comparing places with gross bathrooms, regardless of scale... It leaves a bad impression, and you know it. And if our stadium, which sits empty 95 percent of the year, has "billions" of other issues, we are in trouble.

I sit about 40 yard line on the visitors side... The visitors side pissers consistently have 1/4 inch of water/piss mixture on the floor. Half the lights are burned out. The paint is pealing off the stalls. The troughs are rusting/rusted out. And the smell ranges from "normal public bathroom" to "vomit-inducing."

I will be more than happy if I don't have to hear people bitch about how awful their experience is and how their shoes are wet, etc. No need for thank you's, the people who understand basic tourism/hospitality will all get to have a grin when the improvements are made.
Agree! Marshall has very much been a creature of habit. Anything that requires more effort was not done in the past. They just said - that's the way it is and looked the other way.
Hopefully Smith and Spears can change that.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
The new scoreboard will be a waste unless they get someone who can use it well and get the crowd engaged. More organized game atmosphere is badly needed!!!!

Reactions: ThunderDrunk304

Are you referring to concession stands at youth baseball games? From my understanding, those are usually run by volunteers and often those youth leagues get things donated including equipment or get money donations to purchase.

They do not operate anything like a business trying to turn a profit to cover staff wages, pay electric, water, etc, and also entirely responsible for replacing expensive equipment like dishwashers, ovens, etc. At least Sodexo and similar contract companies have huge buying power so they can keep costs down. Little mom & pop organizations do not have those advantages and must charge higher prices for their products.

Reactions: GoHerdMarshallYes
So since the new scoreboard is going to be raised up like the old one does this mean we are just leaving the old bleachers up until the proposed suites get built?

So you guys want to take away the horse trough pissers? You realize that part of the appeal of Marshall is getting backsplash on your overalls from some random guy next to you, right? People aren’t coming to West Virginia expecting a Stanford experience. Embrace it. Live up to it. Use it as intimidation.

When teams bus in from the airport, you should have some regular WV natives at their gate playing dueling banjos. The extent of restaurant menus should only be fried bologna and hot dogs. Oxy tablets should be game day promotional giveaways. Players should wear practice jerseys as their game jerseys.

Let the visiting teams see this. They will already be intimidated by the inbreds.

Are you referring to concession stands at youth baseball games? From my understanding, those are usually run by volunteers and often those youth leagues get things donated including equipment or get money donations to purchase.

They do not operate anything like a business trying to turn a profit to cover staff wages, pay electric, water, etc, and also entirely responsible for replacing expensive equipment like dishwashers, ovens, etc. At least Sodexo and similar contract companies have huge buying power so they can keep costs down. Little mom & pop organizations do not have those advantages and must charge higher prices for their products.
No minor league as in Boston redsox affiliate

Well there you have it...Sluggo level of dedication to something that is probably going to be handled but blamed because of how it's handled. Did you borrow someone's tape measure or use your own when measuring the floors?

Please, by all means, go to the next presser with Spears talking and literally bring it up. No, don't be like, "well he should know" get off of here, get out the door, and go physically bring this up with him.
It seems like you are so focused on this that if it isn't handled you're going to have a breakdown of some kind.
If it were as easy as you may pretend it is, it really would have been handled by now. I imagine it isn't as easy as you think, or cost efficient or any other magical wonderous BS you claim exists.
Still waiting for that fund to fix them up specifically. When are you going to start that BTW?

• Haha
Reactions: ARandomHerdFan
Of course, to get what you're asking for is to sever the contract with Sodexo and bring in other vendors,
Is he?

Sodexo offers much better concessions at other ballparks. AAA Louisville Slugger Field comes to mind for me, I have always liked the grub there.

Now, it is possible our facilities are too shitty to offer the good stuff.

Is he?

Sodexo offers much better concessions at other ballparks. AAA Louisville Slugger Field comes to mind for me, I have always liked the grub there.

Now, it is possible our facilities are too shitty to offer the good stuff.

If there are various "levels" of concession offerings based on amount paid, then the change is literally a price hike.

But MU fans will complain about the food being too expensive. Or whatever costs will be raised to offset it. Spears could be as transparent in saying this, as possible and MU fans will still complain.

Reactions: raleighherdfan
Marshall fans complaining? Hey, that fits right in with the Huntington mindset!! Remember a former politician or media person, probably in/around Charleston, who said something years ago about if someone stood on a corner at the busiest intersection in downtown Huntington giving away $$$$$, the vast majority of Huntingtonians would be on the OTHER three corners of the intersection, loudly complaining that the person was NOT on their corner!!!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT