ADVERTISEMENT

Let me address attendance

12,000 looks like sh!t whether it’s 30k or 40k.

I’ll never understand that crowd for WKU.

CockyHerd....I'm in your corner.
Now that The HERD has a win (1-3) against WKU....we may just have a NEW bitter rival (ie CRYami). There was a time in the 1990s and mid-2000s....HERD fans layered and bundled up and came to the stadium (ie Green Bay Packers). Not sure why [the young ones---20s to 59s] stay home in their warm house?

HerdZilla22

What happened to the Marshall Maniacs organization?

I’d like to see an area (lot) dedicated to student tailgating. We need to make our games , “can’t miss events” for students.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
If you can’t tell , I’m a South Carolina fan too.

They draw 85,000 every week and lower deck student tickets are hard to come by. (9000 seats).....and USC isn’t that good and Columbia isn’t exactly an economic hotbed.

Both adult and student tailgates are can’t miss events. USC Frat lots are legendary.

They also make the games an interactive event. The 2001 Entrance and the Sandstorm Dance prior to kickoff are awesome. They teach Freshmen both during their first week on campus every year. The rest of the ticket holders have learned to dance along.

They use Twitter hashtags throughout the game and post fan photos on the video board during the game. Ticket upgrades, fan of the game, pizza giveaways,etc....all stolen from minor league baseball and the NBA.

I've said it ad nauseum: 1) Tarp the South end zone 2) Lower ticket prices in the cheap seats 3) convert the top of the South end zone to a party platform (21 and over) Club Herd where the hip, young and cool people can hang out during the game. 4) coordinate the game (no cheerleading competing with PA announcer competing with Band competing with old music guy. 5) have real discounts and game themes. For example this past week all veterans and active military and their families get in half price. Weekend of Thanksgiving a/k/a Deer Season, offer discounts to all who wear camo on camo day. Have a Hatfields and McCoy Day. All attendees who demonstrate a relationship to one of the iconic families gets in half price. Embrace our heritage and use it to market the games!!!!!! This business if " if you go to our obscure website and type in the secret code between the hours of 5 and 7 on the Thursday before the game and get 15% off your next ticket purchase. Limited one per family " is stupid.

ox·y·mo·ron
ˌäksəˈmôrˌän/
noun
  1. a figure of speech in which apparently contradictory terms appear in conjunction (e.g., faith unfaithful kept him falsely true ). ex. Marshall University marketing and branding; WVU faithful;

Last edited:
If you can’t tell , I’m a South Carolina fan too.

They draw 85,000 every week and lower deck student tickets are hard to come by. (9000 seats).....and USC isn’t that good and Columbia isn’t exactly an economic hotbed.

Both adult and student tailgates are can’t miss events. USC Frat lots are legendary.

They also make the games an interactive event. The 2001 Entrance and the Sandstorm Dance prior to kickoff are awesome. They teach Freshmen both during their first week on campus every year. The rest of the ticket holders have learned to dance along.

They use Twitter hashtags throughout the game and post fan photos on the video board during the game. Ticket upgrades, fan of the game, pizza giveaways,etc....all stolen from minor league baseball and the NBA.
A frat tailgate? Lol Wonder if they would be allowed to have kegs at the tailgate because they sure don't allow them at the houses. Sometimes it seems like Marshall barely even acknowledges that they have frats. They don't exactly market them to students like they could/should. Greek life is a big part of many campuses and it isn't all about partying. They improve the experience and help build networks that you can use throughout your life. So in that one suggestion they could advertize that experience to young kids then add to that experience on game days by providing a space specifically for the greek community to be close to the stadium having a blast. Since they already get tickets and you provide them a space of their own to tailgate i would say they would turn out in larger numbers. It seems like a win win but who needs students to show up since their money is already accounted for in their tuition.

Insider, I did research work for Auburn on new club and ticketing levels for Jordan-Hare. There are some amazing ideas out there. One I saw from some school was the club viewing area where you paid more to stand at a leaning rail to watch the game, drink in hand. If you gave a little less, you could stand in the same area, but not at the rail. Or the idea for a club at field level where players entered the field through the club, through a roped off area but where you could obviously feel close to the game and field. I think the idea of a club where young people can replicate a little of the tailgating experience, while watching the game if desired, would be a hit. Would take money to build, however, so you need to sell licenses upfront.

Reactions: putnam green
it's not difficult.

we aren't competing for championships.

one in 8 years? multiple 3rd place in DIVISION? that is it.

Reactions: raleighherdfan
A frat tailgate? Lol Wonder if they would be allowed to have kegs at the tailgate because they sure don't allow them at the houses. Sometimes it seems like Marshall barely even acknowledges that they have frats. They don't exactly market them to students like they could/should. Greek life is a big part of many campuses and it isn't all about partying. They improve the experience and help build networks that you can use throughout your life. So in that one suggestion they could advertize that experience to young kids then add to that experience on game days by providing a space specifically for the greek community to be close to the stadium having a blast. Since they already get tickets and you provide them a space of their own to tailgate i would say they would turn out in larger numbers. It seems like a win win but who needs students to show up since their money is already accounted for in their tuition.

That’s why I suggested a Student Tailgate because I know Greek Life doesn’t really exist at Marshall. Alcohol is a part of the Frat Lot Tailgates at Carolina and the University spends quite a bit of money and manpower monitoring the situation. (That money comes from Greek Life dues) You are carded at the entrance to the lot and provided a color coded wristband that determines whether you can drink or not. It’s still an issue but they do the best they can and the penalties towards the Frat or Sorority can be pretty severe.

And yes, my Son’s connections he made during his time in his Fraternity have been a big part of his life post graduation both socially and professionally.

I’m not aware of how Marshall markets athletic events to students but it certainly looks like they need to step it up.

Reactions: All4TheHerd
As far as basketball goes, google Grand Canyon University Basketball Student section and take a look at what they’ve built in regards to Student participation from scratch.

MU's Greek enforcement person is a complete dickhead, and its a woman.
She basically has attempted to shut down the Greek life at MU. Enforcing ridiculously strict policies.
The sororities have had trouble over the years with nationals and social media.
I've spoken with some of the new guys in my old Fraternity. They said they all pitched in and got a season pass and tailgate spot in the main lot.
I imagine other fraternities do this.

However, I am not sure how much you can market such a thing. I recall getting tagged on the fraternity FB page for an alumni invite to the house and given the lot and number where the active chapter would be tailgating for Homecoming. Also a timeline of events the house had planned for us.

I must admit, our fraternity has a hell of a marketing group.

Fact is though, MU really hasn't emphasized Greek life more. Kopp wasn't much of a supporter of them. I hope Dr. Gilbert, being from the SEC, is one, not sure though.
It also doesn't help the majority of Frat houses, weren't built to house them, and are just run down pieces of crap...also owned by a slumlord who hopefully is gonna be chopped up into Slurry for the amount of debt he's had.

I do agree, MU should move more toward emphasizing the Greek culture and its impact not only on gameday experiences, but the school and community as well.

She basically has attempted to shut down the Greek life at MU. Enforcing ridiculously strict policies.
I've spoken with some of the new guys in my old Fraternity. They said they all pitched in and got a season pass and tailgate spot in the main lot.

However, I am not sure how much you can market such a thing. I recall getting tagged on the fraternity FB page for an alumni invite to the house and given the lot and number where the active chapter would be tailgating for Homecoming. Also a timeline of events the house had planned for us.

Fact is though, MU really hasn't emphasized Greek life more. Kopp wasn't much of a supporter of them. I hope Dr. Gilbert, being from the SEC, is one, not sure though.
It also doesn't help the majority of Frat houses, weren't built to house them, and are just run down pieces of crap...also owned by a slumlord who hopefully is gonna be chopped up into Slurry for the amount of debt he's had.

I do agree, MU should move more toward emphasizing the Greek culture and its impact not only on gameday experiences, but the school and community as well.

I can only speak for South Carolina....The Fraternity and Sorority houses are owned by the University. They are awesome....think Southern mansion on the exterior. Pretty much dorm like on the inside with some very nice community rooms on the main floors. Definitely go check out the Greek Village if you go down for the game next year.

Greek Life has certainly taken a publicity hit this past year thanks to the hazing deaths at PSU and FSU......However, my Son had a great experience and his connections have paid dividends already. My Daughter is a current Sorority member and has made some great friends and it certainly cut down on the size of the overall experience for her. Going to a 31000 Student University can be a little overwhelming but Greek Life really helped with their college experience. Her Sorority has 365 members which is the size of her high school graduating class.

Reactions: joeyb184
As far as basketball goes, google Grand Canyon University Basketball Student section and take a look at what they’ve built in regards to Student participation from scratch.

CockyHerd......I Googled Grand Canyon student section....pretty impressive. However, that will not work at Marshall....Season Ticket holders sit in the court side sections. Our students have always been relegated to the SMALL endzone with our Pep Band. We have no student-supported home court advantage because of seating....and very few students even attend games.

I recently toured Duke Cameron Indoor Stadium, seats 9,314, about 300 more than The Cam. I am sure most folks are aware of the orchestrated efforts by the Duke students in charge. They use handouts to direct their students to be uniformed in supporting the Devils. IT WORKS TOO. Students are seated (they chose to stand during the games) courtside, behind the home & visitors benches. Duke students Camp Out to gain tickets.

Marshall needs to scratch for every penny it can get, therefore, they depend on adults to purchase season ticket packages to sit near court level. I wish it were different at Marshall, however, it is the way it is. Someone once declared......"We do more with little...at Marshall."

Someone mentioned Greek life at Marshall. I am not sure how strong it is compared to when I was a student and a brother of Kappa Alpha Order. What if the Endzone Section for a game could be promoted GREEK NIGHT and only Greeks & their dates were permitted to sit there? Next contest...only students from certain Dorms and their dates would be permitted entry to the endzone section. Another idea...Townie Night. If you are a student from Huntington...you are the only ones permitted entry.

How to monitor it. COLORED WRIST BANDS picked up prior to game time to be worn by selected group. College kids like to eat. How about: Purchase one drink & hotdog or slice of pizza...get one FREE of each item. THEME DRESS UP NIGHT. At Charlotte Christian basketball games...students have Theme Night & sit in one endzone. All come dressed as the designated theme that is selected (Cameo, Hawaiian, Sports jersey team night, etc). They needle the hell out of the opposing team and it is a hoot to watch their antics. Guess what. It gets the students INVOLVED.

I too wonder what has happened to Marshall Maniacs?

HerdZilla22 (Gary Sweeney) in Charlotte

AGREE WITH YOU 100%......

HerdZilla2 (KAPPA ALPHA ORDER...MARSHALL------1969)

CockyHerd......I Googled Grand Canyon student section....pretty impressive. However, that will not work at Marshall....Season Ticket holders sit in the court side sections. Our students have always been relegated to the SMALL endzone with our Pep Band. We have no student-supported home court advantage because of seating....and very few students even attend games.

I recently toured Duke Cameron Indoor Stadium, seats 9,314, about 300 more than The Cam. I am sure most folks are aware of the orchestrated efforts by the Duke students in charge. They use handouts to direct their students to be uniformed in supporting the Devils. IT WORKS TOO. Students are seated (they chose to stand during the games) courtside, behind the home & visitors benches. Duke students Camp Out to gain tickets.

Marshall needs to scratch for every penny it can get, therefore, they depend on adults to purchase season ticket packages to sit near court level. I wish it were different at Marshall, however, it is the way it is. Someone once declared......"We do more with little...at Marshall."

Someone mentioned Greek life at Marshall. I am not sure how strong it is compared to when I was a student and a brother of Kappa Alpha Order. What if the Endzone Section for a game could be promoted GREEK NIGHT and only Greeks & their dates were permitted to sit there? Next contest...only students from certain Dorms and their dates would be permitted entry to the endzone section. Another idea...Townie Night. If you are a student from Huntington...you are the only ones permitted entry.

How to monitor it. COLORED WRIST BANDS picked up prior to game time to be worn by selected group. College kids like to eat. How about: Purchase one drink & hotdog or slice of pizza...get one FREE of each item. THEME DRESS UP NIGHT. At Charlotte Christian basketball games...students have Theme Night & sit in one endzone. All come dressed as the designated theme that is selected (Cameo, Hawaiian, Sports jersey team night, etc). They needle the hell out of the opposing team and it is a hoot to watch their antics. Guess what. It gets the students INVOLVED.

I too wonder what has happened to Marshall Maniacs?

HerdZilla22 (Gary Sweeney) in Charlotte

Just to be accurate. The designated student sections for b-ball are 101, 115, 116, 201, 202.

Not great but plenty of seats. You don’t even need a ticket. Just show up at the designated door with your Student ID. While many schools allow their students sideline seats, some don’t and still generate a great environment. Check out the Student Wall behind the basket at Maryland games.

In the article discussing the GCU Student section they all talked about the event itself both before and during the game. No one mentioned the seat location. They talked about making it a “can’t miss” event for students.

There is a link to the Marshall Maniacs on Herdzone but it only talks about football. ☹️

Just to be accurate. The designated student sections for b-ball are 101, 115, 116, 201, 202.

Not great but plenty of seats. You don’t even need a ticket. Just show up at the designated door with your Student ID. While many schools allow their students sideline seats, some don’t and still generate a great environment. Check out the Student Wall behind the basket at Maryland games.

In the article discussing the GCU Student section they all talked about the event itself both before and during the game. No one mentioned the seat location. They talked about making it a “can’t miss” event for students.

There is a link to the Marshall Maniacs on Herdzone but it only talks about football. ☹️

Do you think perhaps re-seating the student section may be better? Many student sections around the country, are a main section, either under the basket or on a side.
Ours is really weird. It is one corner of the arena and extends upward and a small area under the basket.
Its also behind our bench which is fine, but why not be behind the opponent bench? Or go along the other side of the court and be from courtside going up?
I know, it would tick off some season ticket holders, but maybe compromise at a discount for the former student section for a few years.

Just a thought.

We need to switch section 101 with 106 & 107 to get students under both baskets. Problem is we know how our fans react to one of the greatest injustices of all time... having to watch a sporting event in a different seat.

If people are still crying about the reseating process they need to find a hobby.

Does reading Herdnation and the constant whining about the constant whining; constitute a hobby?
I'd like to go one season without an attendance sucks thread.

Do you think perhaps re-seating the student section may be better? Many student sections around the country, are a main section, either under the basket or on a side.
Ours is really weird. It is one corner of the arena and extends upward and a small area under the basket.
Its also behind our bench which is fine, but why not be behind the opponent bench? Or go along the other side of the court and be from courtside going up?
I know, it would tick off some season ticket holders, but maybe compromise at a discount for the former student section for a few years.

Just a thought.

Back in the Huck days, the student section took up half the lower arena behind the bench from the end line to half court. You had to get there an hour or so before tip to get a seat. But, money came into to play and the students now have a shitty area to sit. No wonder they don't show up or get into it.

Reactions: 31Herd55
We need to switch section 101 with 106 & 107 to get students under both baskets. Problem is we know how our fans react to one of the greatest injustices of all time... having to watch a sporting event in a different seat.

I like that idea. Our fans could coordinate with one another during opponent possessions...make total havoc on teams having to shoot at either end of the court!!! Shouting and communicating to one another in unison from one end to the other...shouting player names, getting in their heads, and basically making the place an utter nightmare for point guards. Honestly, I really think that should happen.
Imagine having all those distracting objects under BOTH baskets that opponents need to deal with.
Usually students are just under one basket with those things so when the court flips, its easier...but no escape with both ends covered!

Sorry for the length of this post, but I've been thinking about attendance since the middle of last year. Read at your own risk (hehe).

Sustainability and perserverance are tough issues, MU has had trouble with them. From the spirit-filled (not athletic desire filled) response from Huntington and the surrounding region, MU football literally grew from the ashes of a horrific disaster. It wasn't only the fact that MU may someday be good at football that drove fans to the games. It was the fact that they played and for playing they'd get supported.

Then, almost miracleously in 1986, we won. And then we won some more, and more. More fans came on board, not the "becaue we play", but because we play pretty good ones. There were about 5K of them; we jumped from 13k or so to filling Fairfield; then came the new stadium.

More fans came on board because we invested, we won, and it was a very prideful feeling if you were a Huntingtonian or MU supporter. Givers gained and regular supporters gained...mostly pride.

Then came the disaster we know lovingly as "pro-gate"; driving a huge division between givers and those they gave to. Blame spread everywhere, and the NCAA saw a huge hole in MU's administrative athletic performance. The blame game drove folks away, both from being willing supporters personally to not being able to donate legally. Division and derision set in quickly. Times got tough. Bad hiring decisions followed in both the AD position and coaching positions. Spirit, faith and hope started fading. Casual fans started questioning their support.

WVU started winning big, casual fans had someone else to grab on to. (Don't downplay the significance of WVU's move to the Big 12 and their ability to win on the national stage hurting MU's support and attendance; remember it was our winning on the national stage that brought many of them in.) Additionally, MU have moved up to compete at the same level as WVU, now folks were starting, or felt compelled to, select to support only one school at MU's new level. While at 1AA, many locals supported the "big" school for it's national attention and the little school for it's national attention. I believe the 7 year game deal with WVU was the worst scheduling nightmare in the history of MU. It drove many causual fans away; particularly those who hoped MU would win those gamea. The inability to win against WVU hurt MU vastly.

Finally, the city of Huntington and surrounding area could not, or would not, invest in ample facilities to support a growing university. The lack of investment and economic growth around MU kept it being "local"; no none wanted to come to Huntington with their teams. No airport, no hotels, no entertainment, no reason to come; particularly if you ran the risk of losing a game while you were here. So we got left behind our friends and family when the new competitive world of national college football really came into being; the AAC.

We're, IMHO, still writing the script. But the above story is my version of why only 19K (yes, I was there and feel that the number is failry accurate) only showed up last Saturday. It's less about generations an more about plain desire to be there for individual personal reasons. Generations mix much better when the goal, the desired outcome, is the same. In order to fix our attendance issues, MU must first determine who it is now, who it wants in the stands, and what will attract them to be there. My story...the entity of MU football is gone and the fans won't return until they can see the "entity" and choose to be related to it.

Considering Huntington has lost about 15K people since the late 90's; that Ashland Oil is gone (huge supporter) and other companies too; and that MU has done a very poor job of marketing athletics and the brand outside the immediate Huntington area, are all factors in the lower numbers.

Basically growing enrollment and winning big are the only things that may stem this tide. It's a national problem that most G5 and many P5 programs are facing.

Reactions: Clarence Woodworth
Back in the Huck days, the student section took up half the lower arena behind the bench from the end line to half court. You had to get there an hour or so before tip to get a seat. But, money came into to play and the students now have a shitty area to sit. No wonder they don't show up or get into it.

Those were the days!!! My girlfriend was an MU cheerleader in 83-84....we’d sneak beer into games in her bag.

In regards to student seating, I’ve been to schools that have better seating and worse....I personally believe it’s more about the event/atmosphere that is created vs where they are seated. Whoever is in charge of marketing athletics to students could clearly do a better job.

I’ve read tons of great ideas on several different threads that need to get into the right hands.

Those were the days!!! My girlfriend was an MU cheerleader in 83-84....we’d sneak beer into games in her bag.

In regards to student seating, I’ve been to schools that have better seating and worse....I personally believe it’s more about the event/atmosphere that is created vs where they are seated. Whoever is in charge of marketing athletics to students could clearly do a better job.

I’ve read tons of great ideas on several different threads that need to get into the right hands.

Doesn't ohio state have a lottery system where just football tickets are $300.00, and students aren't guaranteed them?

I remember those days. The Pikes would always be there supporting Huck's Herd.I was there 80-84

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
Colleges worry about funding with new tax bill http://es.pn/2mzUg4q

I wonder how many of our donors do this and if it will make an even greater impact on our attendance.

I would hope a vast majority would give because they love the school. I certainly don't give as much as many but I don't give for the perks of the BG or tax purposes. I want MU to succeed in all phases.

Reactions: joeyb184
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT