ADVERTISEMENT

Let's Reminisce

riflearm2

Platinum Buffalo
Gold Member
Dec 8, 2004
We aren’t going to make 6-6, let alone 7-5.

Shocking how many are all worried about going to the bowls they turned their nose up about not that long ago.

MU has to go 7-5, as only one I-AA win counts. Of the six games remaining, three teams are simply a whole lot better than us. The other three we could beat. So 6-6 is best case scenario, which is short.

However, it is pretty clear that CH has lost control of this team and we have every chance to lose out.
You can, but you really shouldn’t. Childish super-fandom does not add to the conversation. Some believe that MU’s can recover a bit and maybe get to 6-6; others, including myself, believe that this season, and perhaps this coach’s tenure, are completely gone.

@riflearm2
Seriously? You hated half the guys huff hired

Is your issue selective memory or reading comprehension?

I think he is doing everything right to this point. He is engaging the community, engaging former players, showing his face around town, building excitement, and being the politician that he needs to be. He is also throwing out offers to some big recruits. Even if there isn't a shot in hell in getting some off them, that builds excitement with a fan base and lets them dream for a minute. More, when those big recruits get in trouble/fail out/leave their original powerhouse school, already having built a recruiting relationship makes it easier to get them to transfer to Marshall instead of another P5.

The one concern I have, as I have mentioned before, has been some of his hires. The easiest way for a business to fail is by making bad hires, and I think some of his have been bad.
I nominate this for worst post of the year so far. Huff is doing exactly what he should be doing by reaching out to WV high school coaches.

WV has had many kids over the last decade who have escaped both Marshall and wvu. Building the relationship early is critical. More, the better you can get in and promote your program to the state means the more high school coaches will push their teams/kids to go to Marshall camps. That means more revenue and more opportunity for Marshall's coaches to get in the door early with recruits.

It takes five minutes to think of what you want to say in a Twitter video and have somebody record it and post it for you. Your comment that he should spend more of his time recruiting more instead of this type of video is foolish. Social media, including video tweets to high school coaches, is a huge part of recruiting. In fact, when Urban Meyer would grade his coaches each season, a big part of the grade would be social media interaction and presence. Further, coaches still are not allowed to be visiting/recruiting kids in person due to NCAA rules with Covid. What they can actually be doing regarding recruiting is interacting on social media.

If you want to be critical of Huff, be critical of so many of his hires not having an Instagram account and/or not being active on it. Having Instagram (and to a lesser extent Twitter or SnapChat) is essential to recruiting, and hiring guys without that presence is dumbfounding.

Huff made 10 hires. I have commented that three of them are bad hires and one of them is questionable. That means I've supported more of his hires than criticized, and that isn't counting the things I have defended him/them on.
I've done that in multiple threads. I like the Huff hire. I think there is a risk considering his lack of head coaching at any level and his lack of being a coordinator, but I don't think being a coordinator should be a prerequisite to being a head coach, unless the school is wanting to save money by going after a play calling HC and saving money on a top OC. I think the risk of hiring Huff is worth the potential reward. It's going to be a learn-as-you-go and trial-by-error situation, so we shouldn't expect anything to be perfect, but he's doing what he should be doing in the first couple of weeks. He's shown to be the opposite of Doc so far, but that's easy to do during the honeymoon stage and could be completely different if losses start to pile up.

I like the hires of Ralph Street, Bill Legg, and Bartrum, especially in the roles that they are in. I don't like the Springer, Trickett, Morrison, and Guidry hires, the latter being more a result of ethics, culture, and pride. I'm ambivalent about Lockette and Cramsey and apathetic about Bowman's and Morrisey's hirings.

I think Huff may have been influenced into some hires, which can be both good and bad.
Yes, and there is a possibility that Guidry's defense will be a bunch of studs every season and that he is an exemplary citizen while in Huntington. But after so many chances, Marshall shouldn't be the school to give him yet another chance.
I love what I know of him. Making bad hires, in any organization, is the easiest way to stunt progress. Other than some of his hires, Huff is saying and doing everything he should be.
Texted Huff after the game with a simple “congratulations.” Instead of taking any credit, part of his response was “heck of a job by the players.”

I’m not sure what the locals think of him, but he has always done a solid job of saying the right things.

@riflearm2 is your back hurting this morning, due to all those pats on the back you gave yourself last night?
No, I’m not an out-of-shape old man like you. And it also helps to have this Mexican woman here who gives me daily massages. You should get yourself one.

Back to the point of this thread. @The Real SamC after yesterday's win:

73yn.gif

Cut Sammy some slack - he hates talking about the past. The season is over, it's in the past. No need to talk about the past! At least that is always his argument when specific coaches are the topic.

@The Real SamC , you have refused to join this thread. I believe you have blocked my good pal Rifle's posts, so let me help you out:

We aren’t going to make 6-6, let alone 7-5.

Shocking how many are all worried about going to the bowls they turned their nose up about not that long ago.

MU has to go 7-5, as only one I-AA win counts. Of the six games remaining, three teams are simply a whole lot better than us. The other three we could beat. So 6-6 is best case scenario, which is short.

However, it is pretty clear that CH has lost control of this team and we have every chance to lose out.
You can, but you really shouldn’t. Childish super-fandom does not add to the conversation. Some believe that MU’s can recover a bit and maybe get to 6-6; others, including myself, believe that this season, and perhaps this coach’s tenure, are completely gone.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT