ADVERTISEMENT

Litton or Legg

HFF-SLTX

Gold Buffalo
Jan 21, 2006
Litton is not a Read Option QB.

Legg is not...(insert your own opinion)

So, the chicken or egg question follows:

Is it his fault for poorly running the offense?

or

Is it the staffs fault for not adjusting the scheme to fit his talents?

As you create your own answers. My .02 is that everytime I think of these questions, I wonder what Legg would have done with Chad and Byron if they were young QBs today.

Litton is not a Read Option QB.

Legg is not...(insert your own opinion)

So, the chicken or egg question follows:

Is it his fault for poorly running the offense?

or

Is it the staffs fault for not adjusting the scheme to fit his talents?

First, it's a Zone Read; Read Option is redundant. Second, Marshall doesn't run a Zone Read offense, just an inside and outside zone scheme. Litton is not reading anything, with the exception of a few RPOs.

First, it's a Zone Read; Read Option is redundant. Second, Marshall doesn't run a Zone Read offense, just an inside and outside zone scheme. Litton is not reading anything, with the exception of a few RPOs.
Feels like a broken record.

Players play, coaches stand and watch. Coaches get money, the credit, and the blame, but the players win or lose the games.

Reactions: sistersville
I don't know, I mean we lost. Bottom line. We are riding a two game losing streak. Performance is poor from Billy Legg and the (QB). Our defense is worth paying my hard earned money to see.

Reactions: herdinmichigan
Our defense has been shredded the last two games. They aren’t getting it done either.

Because they were on the field too much for the most part. We couldn't expect them perform at the level that have every game. At some point the offense has to pick them up and win the game. That hasn't happened.

Because they were on the field too much for the most part. We couldn't expect them perform at the level that have every game. At some point the offense has to pick them up and win the game. That hasn't happened.

Every game, other than the last two, have been sub par competition. Not that hard looking like a superior defense when you play losing teams.

We lost, and I guess the details shouldn't matter. But I can't help but comment here. There were a lot of reasons you could list for the loss, but our defense being "on the field too much" isn't one of them. Time of Possession is often a useless stat, but it applies here. Marshall 35 min, FAU 25 min. If anything, FAU's defense was on the field too long. There was plenty of offense; just way too many points left on the field. Missed FG, missed XPT, and 4 INTs. It's hard to win with a stat line like that. Amazing we were even in the game.

That’s what had me so tore up. We gave them 17 points and cost ourselves 11 (with the help of the officials), yet we were still in the game. Albeit a long shot, had Gates went down we would’ve had one play to win the game.

Thank John Marshall we had the help of the Refs Friday night....their flags on the Owls gave us two touchdowns. Let's tell it like it is....our coaching staff has not prepared our players to play like Champions, when they played some teams with winning CUSA records. No heart....no leadership...very little enthusiasm from the players. Not like the old days when Herd players wore the Green and White with Pride. Our staff is outdated....need some fresh new blood. I would not be surprised to see a final record....6-7.....sadly that new blood would not desire to come to Huntington.

HerdZilla22.

I think the players are playing hard. Defense is playing much much better this year and sp teams have been way better over all. But our offense is playing slow as hell with 6-8 plays this alone is holding us back tbh. We are haveing more turnovers the past two weeks do to poor Qb play and the fact we are faceing better coaches across the field that knows how Chase likes to go to(first read) and just covers that person up Chase is taught to go to that person no matter what. But for the love of God get our Qb coach to work with Chase on the over throws please.

Reactions: ilmherdfan
I adamantly disagree with this statement.

Prove me wrong Judge DD.....I sat a few rows from the Herd bench (in rain) during the FIU debacle and watched the game and replays from Baco....and sat near our team when they played in Charlotte. I tailgated with members from one of our National Championship squads at a game this season....and they echo my same evaluation. Something is wrong with the attitudes of recent teams players when we have no veteran leadership at all. You don't expect freshman to be the leaders.

Leadership starts with the coaching staff.

Reactions: Clarence Woodworth
Prove me wrong Judge DD.....I sat a few rows from the Herd bench (in rain) during the FIU debacle and watched the game and replays from Baco....and sat near our team when they played in Charlotte. I tailgated with members from one of our National Championship squads at a game this season....and they echo my same evaluation. Something is wrong with the attitudes of recent teams players when we have no veteran leadership at all. You don't expect freshman to be the leaders.

You realize Judge has a son who currently starts for Marshall, right? Just saying that he probably knows more about the inner workings of the team than you do.

Legg and Doc are not utilizing the talent. This offense is high school offense. I can't remember if we have ever tried a Jets sweep??? There is no imagination in the play calling. Maybe our offensive players aren't as talented as we think. But a blind man can figure out Legg's offensive scheme or lack of.

Reactions: herdinmichigan

You do not want to be proven wrong! You have developed an opinion based on anecdotal experiences and conversations with folks that agree with you! Judge nor anyone else will be able to “prove” you wrong. Nor will your opinion prove anyone else wrong. I won’t bore you with my experiences or conversations but I do have an opinion (not provable). Leadership is a developmental characteristic. Life experiences and relationships with folks exhibiting leadership qualities, more often than not, will facilitate growth in this area. Your generalized statement about the “attitudes” of recent (veteran) players not exhibiting leadership is unfair to the players that have developed and demonstrated leadership and there are many (Hancock, Yurachek, Bee, Pittman, Davis, Foster and even Litton, just to mention a few) Not everyone can be a leader. Some have to follow. Litton has performed poorly the last 2 games. In spite of this, he has demonstrated leadership by publicly accepting responsibility for his performances. I am reasonably sure that some players read these forums
and the negative comments and generalizations made about them. My hope is that they have developed insight and an understanding that their efforts are respected and appreciated by most fans and folks that are close and matter to them.

Reactions: JudgeDD
You realize Judge has a son who currently starts for Marshall, right? Just saying that he probably knows more about the inner workings of the team than you do.

Chris....I coach in N Carolina. I recognize heart, enthusiasm, and leadership. I don't see it from players willing to step up, certainly not from the QB position. Leadership starts at the top, therefore, our players are being cheated by not learning these important qualities. If you read my first post....my statement was 100 % in agreement from previous Championship players that have proudly worn the Green and White. Many of them are around the current program to witness it. Today's discussion centered around this observation from Friday night. Not about 4 picks, poor play calling....Direct your comments to them too. Disappointment is the word that describes recent teams. This did not just start. Marshall was once a household name for football and not because of the movie either. Folks are wondering what has happened when a program starts regressing and other weak CUSA teams are leaving The Herd in the wake.....and prospects for change is not evident. One CUSA Championship in years is alarming for a school that won more games in the 1990s than any team playing football. Spoiled fans? Perhaps? The record does not lie. The Herd is not beating many teams with winning records and again...this did not just start. It's difficult to understand that a Charlotte team playing football for less than five years laid a loss on Marshall in Huntington last year...and this crop edged the 1-win 49ers squad, 10-3 a few weeks ago. Perhaps, Marshall is losing quality recruits to other Florida schools and our player pool (quality) is not what we once earned. A lot of players that are recruited to Marshall do not last.....they leave...or are asked to exit. A pattern is being established and it's alarming.

Last edited:
Chris....I coach in N Carolina. I recognize heart, enthusiasm, and leadership. I don't see it from players willing to step up, certainly not from the QB position. Leadership starts at the top, therefore, our players are being cheated by not learning these important qualities. If you read my first post....my statement was 100 % in agreement from previous Championship players that have proudly worn the Green and White. Many of them are around the current program to witness it. Today's discussion centered around this observation from Friday night. Not about 4 picks, poor play calling....Direct your comments to them too. Disappointment is the word that describes recent teams. This did not just start. Marshall was once a household name for football and not because of the movie either. Folks are wondering what has happened when a program starts regressing and other weak CUSA teams are leaving The Herd in the wake.....and prospects for change is not evident. One CUSA Championship in years is alarming for a school that won more games in the 1990s than any team playing football. Spoiled fans? Perhaps? The record does not lie. The Herd is not beating many teams with winning records and again...this just did not start. It's difficult that a Charlotte team playing football for less than five years laid a loss on Marshall in Huntington....and this crop edged the 1-win 49ers squad, 10-3 a few weeks ago. Perhaps, Marshall is losing quality recruits to other Florida schools and our player pool (quality) is not what we once earned. A lot of players that are recruited to Marshall do not last.....they leave...or are asked to exit. A pattern is being established and it's alarming.
No one is satisfied with recent results, including players and coaches. My concern is the negativity directed toward student athletes whose first responsibility should be their education. Be as negative as you want about coaches and play calling. They are getting paid large salaries and know that public criticism is part of the equation.

Replays showed holding on The Herd.....officials don't make many errors as the replay booths prove. It Kills me when fans blame the Refs.

Guess you don't watch much football then. Did you happen to watch the USM game tonight? If you are saying the refs don't make mistakes they outright make bad calls to influence games.

We heard it with cato and every other qb that they're young and learning the playbook blah blah then their senior year we get a halfway competent looking offense. Why does it take 4-5 years to learn a college playbook? Coaches need to have an idea of what kind of offense they want to run then recruit players that can run it. Teach them when they get here then tinker with it to fit the strength of their players not just try to force a square peg through a round hole.

Reactions: BleedsGreen33
My two cents. I agree we seem to be running an offense that is not suited for our QB and that's coaching. It may have taken Cato a few years but by his junior year he was making reads and finding secondary receivers. Chase locks on to one receiver and throws off back foot too often.Look back at the 6 interceptions in last 2 games. The pick 6 was a poor throw and his first interception Friday was a poor throw. But the other 4 were forced throws in double or sometimes triple coverage. Not being able to recognize coverages half way through his junior year and coaching staff not recognizing that or if they do and keep playing him that's coaching. The other problem which was mentioned above is our recruiting has been down. We have neglected both lines. Ryan Bee is an outstanding defensive end and has proven it. He is not a defensive tackle. The stat in paper said our D line averages 254 lbs. they are not going to hold up against a team with normal size O line and a great runner. We constantly recruit "playmakers" on both sides of but can't make plays because we're small up front. That's coaching. Our O line is not much better. How many times are our backs hit in the backfield. I was out of town and watched the MTS game. Mac Brown was one of the commentators. He said our line was young " but weak". I think that's very accurate. That's why we get no push on too many running plays. Neglecting the line or recruiting poor talents for this level, that's coaching. Lastly for past two years our field goal kicking has been horrible. 50% doesn't cut it. We bring in that kicker from Georgia then he leaves. There is a reason why most programs don't have the same person kicking off, punting and kicking field goals . That would be great for an NFL team it would save a roster spot or two, but in college not a good idea. That's coaching. So when you get down to it I disagree with the premise these young men are not playing with heart. They are doing the best they can they are simply not being put in best positions to succeed because of poor recruiting, poor schemes, and failure to recognize strengths and weaknesses of our team and that's all about coaching. Last year these last 2 losses would've been blow outs. They weren't this year because players gave it everything they had til the final whistle. That is why we don't beat teams with similar talent but good coaching. Coaching makes the difference.

@CarolinaHerdZilla22: Your subsequent posts have pointed out that Marshall is not beating teams with a winning record. You address the concern that many Marshall recruits don't finish their eligibility for one reason or another. You say that you are disappointed in the recent seasons (I assume you mean last season and this one). I have no issue with these points. We have not beaten good teams this season, and we didn't beat anyone last season. We do have a concerning number of athletes who don't finish their 4 years of eligibility. And I was certainly disappointed in last season, and with our last two games this season. But neither you, nor anyone else, can watch from the stands and determine a lack of leadership.

Leadership was one of last season's big issues. There was a chemistry problem, and a leadership vacuum that didn't regroup and refocus the team when there was adversity. I'm not necessarily pinning that on the leaders themselves. Yurachek and Bee and Pitman and Litton were all here last season, too. But last year it was more about the willingness of the underclassmen to follow. This season is different. Night and DAY.

It started with the off-season and a different approach from Luke Day and the strength staff. They had done a great job of getting the team ready physically the year before. This off-season added a mental toughness component, a by-product of which was to establish leaders and promote a real brotherhood amongst the team. Every room this season has leadership. Litton, Brady & Yurachek, Pittman, Dowrey, Bee, Young & Hancock, Revis & Allen, Vedvik. This team not only has its share of leaders, but also a team that's willing to follow.

You know, it's funny. No one brought up leadership in the first 7 games of the season. We lose a couple games and obviously we must have poor leadership.

Last edited:
@CarolinaHerdZilla22: Your subsequent posts have pointed out that Marshall is not beating teams with a winning record. You address the concern that many Marshall recruits don't finish their eligibility for one reason or another. You say that you are disappointed in the recent seasons (I assume you mean last season and this one). I have not issue with these points. We have not beaten good teams this season, and we didn't beat anyone last season. We do have a concerning number of athletes who don't finish their 4 years of eligibility. And I was certainly disappointed in last season, and with our last two games this season. But neither you, nor anyone else, can watch from the stands and determine a lack of leadership.

Leadership was one of last season's big issues. There was a chemistry problem, and a leadership vacuum that didn't regroup and refocus the team when there was adversity. I'm not necessarily pinning that on the leaders themselves. Yurachek and Bee and Pitman and Litton were all here last season, too. But last year it was more about the willingness of the underclassmen to follow. This season is different. Night and DAY.

It started with the off-season and a different approach from Luke Day and the strength staff. They had done a great job of getting the team ready physically the year before. This off-season added a mental toughness component, a by-product of which was to establish leaders and promote a real brotherhood amongst the team. Every room this season has leadership. Litton, Brady & Yurachek, Pittman, Dowrey, Bee, Young & Hancock, Revis & Allen, Vedvik. This team not only has its share of leaders, but also a team that's willing to follow.

You know, it's funny. No one brought up leadership in the first 7 games of the season. We lose a couple games and obviously we much have poor leadership.
That's a great g-d post! Well stated Judge!

Not just in football, Judge, but in about facet of life REAL leadership shows itself not when things are going smoothly and well, but when things down and at a low ebb. With a two game losing streak and facing 3 of our better opponents in the last games, lets hope what leadership there is, on the field and on the sidelines, will rise up and produce better results at the final gun.

Like everyone else, I’m disappointed but both losses were basically one score losses with 7 total turnovers and miscues on special teams.

I believe this team has shown a lot of heart.

Let’s see how they respond to this adversity.

Chris....I coach in N Carolina. I recognize heart, enthusiasm, and leadership. I don't see it from players willing to step up, certainly not from the QB position. Leadership starts at the top, therefore, our players are being cheated by not learning these important qualities. If you read my first post....my statement was 100 % in agreement from previous Championship players that have proudly worn the Green and White. Many of them are around the current program to witness it. Today's discussion centered around this observation from Friday night. Not about 4 picks, poor play calling....Direct your comments to them too. Disappointment is the word that describes recent teams. This did not just start. Marshall was once a household name for football and not because of the movie either. Folks are wondering what has happened when a program starts regressing and other weak CUSA teams are leaving The Herd in the wake.....and prospects for change is not evident. One CUSA Championship in years is alarming for a school that won more games in the 1990s than any team playing football. Spoiled fans? Perhaps? The record does not lie. The Herd is not beating many teams with winning records and again...this did not just start. It's difficult to understand that a Charlotte team playing football for less than five years laid a loss on Marshall in Huntington last year...and this crop edged the 1-win 49ers squad, 10-3 a few weeks ago. Perhaps, Marshall is losing quality recruits to other Florida schools and our player pool (quality) is not what we once earned. A lot of players that are recruited to Marshall do not last.....they leave...or are asked to exit. A pattern is being established and it's alarming.

asst JV baseball coach in HS? isn't that what you said? anyway, let's hear from the youth recreational soccer coaches next.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT