ADVERTISEMENT

book thread

-CarlHungus-

Platinum Buffalo
Feb 9, 2007
Anyone reading anything they like right now?

I am reading Tom Holland's (historian, expert in medieval history, early islam and christian history) Dominion and it is amazing. I'm generally a pretty slow reader, so slogging through it, but just the Preface had me floored. If you've been trained about early church stuff then it's probably not news to you. But it's a fantastic read so far. I wonder if @wvkeeper(HN) has read?

Amazon product ASIN 0465093507
Other's I read recently:

Mark Spitznagel's Safe Haven. A good fairly quick read about principles on how to shape an investment portofilio - or rather how to think about it. I found it to be good for how to *think* about this stuff, but not much practical advice.

Amazon product ASIN 1119401798
Steve Palmer's Say Grace. I met him at a food thing and he was a great guy. He is a restauranteur /entrepreneur (I highly recommend his Skyline Lodge in Highlands, NC). He struggled with addiction in the restaurant industry and it's his story out. Probably not as interesting to people outside of the food industry but a good, quick read. As an aside, I had a bone-marrow bread pudding dish at one of his restaurants and it was crazy good. Also had an appetizer of a nashville hot fried oyster on top of a deviled egg. It was amazing.

Amazon product ASIN 1946633968

Last edited:
Dominion is really good. Tom Holland is a great read in general. His podcast is funny and well worth the time.
The book is making me identify more with this too. My wife grew up bouncing around Catholic , Eastern Orthodox, and Presbytery…she is so much better educated than I am.

In that order?

Catholic schooling, some mass.

Then both Orthodox and Presbyterian churches growing up and into college.

Now we’re a mix of all I’d say in how we think. My wife goes to mass some but mostly Presbyterian (members). Some things I really like about the Catholic or Orthodox Church. The older I get the more I like the ritual and sacred element I feel more there than a main line Protestant place. I like a lot of the saints study and early church Fathers reverence. Not a big fan of the hierarchy and Pope stuff.

The older I get the less overall I care about “denominations “ either. There are some really wise people to learn from in all kinds of churches.

Catholic schooling, some mass.

Then both Orthodox and Presbyterian churches growing up and into college.

Now we’re a mix of all I’d say in how we think. My wife goes to mass some but mostly Presbyterian (members). Some things I really like about the Catholic or Orthodox Church. The older I get the more I like the ritual and sacred element I feel more there than a main line Protestant place. I like a lot of the saints study and early church Fathers reverence. Not a big fan of the hierarchy and Pope stuff.

The older I get the less overall I care about “denominations “ either. There are some really wise people to learn from in all kinds of churches.
Except Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region Council of 1912 of course.

• Haha
Reactions: -CarlHungus-
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT