ADVERTISEMENT

Looks like the Big 12 will add 2 teams....Cincy has been prominently mentioned.....

I could very well be mistaken, but isn't the main reason why the ACC passed on WVU was not necessarily "academics" as much as it was admission standards?

Reason #1 why WVU was rejected by the ACC, which is 98% of the total reason for the rejection was it simply is not very popular. Tiny state, 30% of which gets its TV from big cities out-of-state, broken up into multiple RSN regions, fairweather fans, etc. All of the idiotic spew to the contrary is just so much delusion.

Reason #2, which is 1% was the conduct of those fans.

Reason #3, which is 1% was academics. Which has nothing to do with "research" but with WVU's quite rare among Div I and darn near unique amond the P5 status of having de facto open admissions. WVU will let anybody in, and WVU is set up, without special cupcake athlete only classes, to keep them in. This is a competitive advantage.

In any event, I love how the Spamtrols are so fixated on us that they post here so very much.

Yes, I have heard that the constant couch burning sessions and idiocy of their fans really put a black eye on them in the eyes of the ACC...

Athletic conferences don't care about academic reputation or research status or Forbes rankings or anything - they just care about money.

And while I would be surprised to see WVU wind up in the SEC, the notion that their redneck status and unruly behavior would disqualify them is ridiculous. That conference is packed with Arkansas and Alabama and Louisiana and Georgia and Florida - pretty much the cradle of American Redneck Society. From a cultural standpoint, WVU would fit in better in that conference than any it has previously or currently occupied.

If the Big12, and by extension the AAC, were to expand by two teams, I would think that the AAC would follow their policy of being a "Power 6" conference (in their mind). That being the case, I would think they'd go after schools that have good basketball, and definitely after schools with good football.

I would think these would be the pool of teams they would pick from:

CUSA: MU, LT, WKU, MTSU, USM
MAC: NIU, OU
MWC: All way too far west, unless they decided to go after Boise
SBC: GASO, ULL

Going a step further - I think that the MAC wouldn't change, and the SBC would fill CUSA rather than the AAC. All of the CUSA teams I mentioned have had some success in both sports, but I think WKU would be the front-runner (great basketball history, very good basketball history, a lot of national spotlight recently), and MTSU the long-shot. In recent history, MU and LT have done better in football, although USM certainly has it's football history. LT has certainly been the best of the three in basketball.

Looking at geography, if the AAC lost Cincy and UConn, they'd lose two Eastern teams. They would likely slide Navy into the East, and need to fill one for each division. WKU fits better with the west, but not terribly in the east.. LT and USM would fit perfectly in the west, while MU would fit well in the east. So:

WKU: Good in both sports, great history in BB.
LT: Good in both sports.
MU: Great in FB, good history in FB, improving BB, more national presence.
USM: Great history/improving FB, not much to write home about in BB, most national presence.

So yeah, basically, you have four excellent additions for two spots. However, IF we were to go to the AAC, I'd hope that we would bring WKU with us - easy drive to Bowling Green.

The only word that needs added is "perceived" before better. In reality, the AAC and CUSA are equal.

Here is the "AD point of view" :

- $7M exit fee.
- Possible lame duck year(s) with no bowl eligibility.
- Conference plays whenever ESPN tells it to. Multiple random weeknights, which are live gate death.
- Step up for a basketball team that has not made tournament in 30 years and which plays in a building badly in need of major over-haul or replacement.

And for this, we get:

- Once the current contract expires, the same TV money.
- A league where pretty much everybody wants to GTFO.
- The EXACT SAME deal with the P5. Win all your games, play in an access bowl, lose once, play in Boca.

No thanks.

So if 2 teams leave say UC & UCONN we are back in CUSA minus USM, UAB, UTEP, & RICE.

The only word that needs added is "perceived" before better. In reality, the AAC and CUSA are equal.

- Conference plays whenever ESPN tells it to. Multiple random weeknights, which are live gate death.
- The EXACT SAME deal with the P5. Win all your games, play in an access bowl, lose once, play in Boca.

No thanks.

Actually you are completely wrong. I believe Houston lost once and they got the access spot. Last years access spot went to a team with a loss. And the year before that went to a team with a loss. Also the bowl tie ins from the AAC are superior to the bowl tie ins for CUSA.

As for playing whenever you want to, TV is where the money is at not the gate. Im fine with playing Thursday night games and being able to watch the games as opposed to having to listen to a Junior High AV club trying to broadcast a game. That's just me though.

AAC is better than CUSA. And it's not close.

Reactions: Herd Fever
Athletic conferences don't care about academic reputation or research status or Forbes rankings or anything - they just care about money.

And while I would be surprised to see WVU wind up in the SEC, the notion that their redneck status and unruly behavior would disqualify them is ridiculous. That conference is packed with Arkansas and Alabama and Louisiana and Georgia and Florida - pretty much the cradle of American Redneck Society. From a cultural standpoint, WVU would fit in better in that conference than any it has previously or currently occupied.

Outside of geography, WVU fits in perfectly with the Big 12 schools. Our fan reputation is very good in the Big 12 and our relationship with Oklahoma especially is very strong. WVU would fit in the SEC culturally but also the ACC history wise. I do think long term the ACC will be where WVU ends up. Reviving the Pitt/VT/Syracuse/BC rivalries makes sense. Geography makes sense. And WVU's academic reputation is also improving.

I think if you prefer C-USA over the AAC, you probably just prefer winning over competition. People can cite Sagarin rankings and logical inferences about who beat who when, but the reality is ECU is better than Charlotte, UCF is better than FIU, Tulsa is better than North Texas.

So long as I'm paying American currency to see Marshall play football, I'd prefer to watch competitive games, and not these snoozer blowouts against teams of such poor quality, you never really know how good your team is until the bowl game.

Actually you are completely wrong. I believe Houston lost once and they got the access spot. Last years access spot went to a team with a loss. And the year before that went to a team with a loss. Also the bowl tie ins from the AAC are superior to the bowl tie ins for CUSA.

As for playing whenever you want to, TV is where the money is at not the gate. Im fine with playing Thursday night games and being able to watch the games as opposed to having to listen to a Junior High AV club trying to broadcast a game. That's just me though.

AAC is better than CUSA. And it's not close.

Actually, you are completely wrong.

The bowl tie ins have been covered. Equal. Equally bad, but equal.

Houston got the "access bowl" with one loss. Because there was no team with no losses. Had there been one, even from the CUSA, it would have gone. Because the team with the best record will always go to the "access bowl".

It is not just Thursdays, It is any day of the week, any time. Live gate killer. That doesn't matter to the AAC, because nobody goes to those teams' games anyway. It matters to us.

And MU was on TV 11 out of 13 games, and one of the non-TV games was because it was away at the MAC, whch owned the TV rights.

But most laughable is the idea that this AAC non thing is a step up in competition. Have you seen Tulane play? Laughable. The AAC is just a cull conference.

I prefer CUSA because I like the other schools more, and the non-Florida East teams are in driving distance. The only opponents I would like to have in the same conference are ECU and Cincy.

And let's be realistic - it's only a matter of time until Cincy, UConn, Temple, Houston, and Memphis are picked off by P5 conferences.

i think you misunderstood. he is saying that an unbeaten G5 team will get the access spot every time regardless of conference. the problem would be having multiple unbeaten teams.

as it stands an unbeaten AAC team will get the spot over an unbeaten from any of the other conferences. the real shit-storm will happen when a 1 loss AAC school (or Boise) gets the spot over an unbeaten from one of the other conferences...

No, I think the expansion talk in the Big 12 is serious. It is being driven by Oklahoma and West Virginia (Gee included). Gee is doing a tremendous job at WVU, did you notice the recent upgrade of WVU to a R1 research level? That included Kansas State as well.

It may very well end up that Texas does what Texas likes to do and the Big 12 breaks up over it. The SEC/ACC/PAC12/BIG10 would be fighting over the Big 12 schools and we would go to 4 mega conferences. And yes, before somebody chimes in, WVU will be in one of those 4...

Gee hasnt been at MVU long enough to make that big of an impact on the university. I think the validity of any research has to be questioned when mvu is added to a list and ivy league schools are dropped. So, Gee, who had to be dismissed from TO$U for remarks that are not of a professional manner is now a hero at MVU?

The four conferences will be fighting over Oklahoma and Texas. Oklahoma St is somewhat attractive to schools and Kansas is to the Big 10 because they are in the AAU. The rest will be trying to keep from getting the scraps which ultimately will be Iowa St and WVU.

I think if you prefer C-USA over the AAC, you probably just prefer winning over competition. People can cite Sagarin rankings and logical inferences about who beat who when, but the reality is ECU is better than Charlotte, UCF is better than FIU, Tulsa is better than North Texas.

So long as I'm paying American currency to see Marshall play football, I'd prefer to watch competitive games, and not these snoozer blowouts against teams of such poor quality, you never really know how good your team is until the bowl game.

from a football fan point of view, i agree completely. however, at what point do we end up the desperate boyfriend that keeps chasing the girl that dumped him for someone better multiple times? none of the teams that i want to play on a yearly basis from the AAC want to be there. they will always be looking for a way out and jump ship at the first chance. at some point, you gotta just play with the hand you were dealt. the 1AA rejects on our schedule haven't hurt our recruiting, and our national perception is better now that it ever was in "old" CUSA...

You dont think research status has anything to do with money?

Outside of geography, WVU fits in perfectly with the Big 12 schools. Our fan reputation is very good in the Big 12 and our relationship with Oklahoma especially is very strong. WVU would fit in the SEC culturally but also the ACC history wise. I do think long term the ACC will be where WVU ends up. Reviving the Pitt/VT/Syracuse/BC rivalries makes sense. Geography makes sense. And WVU's academic reputation is also improving.

No, your academic reputation is not improving. You mvu fans think that one report gives you a favorable ranking and you are now an academic power.

I just love how people get all caught up in the minute. Memphis had an OK year. One OK year. It is still Memphis. Fanless Memphis whose only marketing deal is to play an SEC west team and sell tickets to fans of the visitors.

Houston had a great year. One great year. Houston is still a safety school for Texas kids who cannot get into the UT or TAMU systems, and that matters. And it is still probably about the 20th most popular team. In Houston.

Boise State, which is a community college, is in a brief era of being everybody's favorite mid-major. It is not sustainable. We, of all people, know that, because we were Boise State before Boise State was. It cannot last, and when it fall to earth, and it always does, its a community college in the middle of nowhere.

This is not eurosoccer where teams get promoted and relegated. IF (huge IF) the Big 2, Little 8 expands, it will look at a 100 other things before it considers the result on ONE football season.

Tell me, it looks to me like we get great players (3-4 stars) often because we take props. I thought the aac did not. If that is correct we would be at an even bigger disadvantage.

I just love how people get all caught up in the minute. Memphis had an OK year. One OK year. It is still Memphis. Fanless Memphis whose only marketing deal is to play an SEC west team and sell tickets to fans of the visitors.

Houston had a great year. One great year. Houston is still a safety school for Texas kids who cannot get into the UT or TAMU systems, and that matters. And it is still probably about the 20th most popular team. In Houston.

Boise State, which is a community college, is in a brief era of being everybody's favorite mid-major. It is not sustainable. We, of all people, know that, because we were Boise State before Boise State was. It cannot last, and when it fall to earth, and it always does, its a community college in the middle of nowhere.

This is not eurosoccer where teams get promoted and relegated. IF (huge IF) the Big 2, Little 8 expands, it will look at a 100 other things before it considers the result on ONE football season.

Wait wait, do some research first.

Memphis - Huge market, great BB history (even without Calipari - missed NCAA or NIT 9times since 71/72 season), decent FB success recently (7 bowls since 03, great past two seasons).

Houston - Huge market, great FB history (missed a bowl 3 times since 03, finished ranked twice in that span, 17 all time top 25 finishes, 24 bowl appearances total), great BB history (19 NCAA appearances with 5 trips to Final Four, two of which went to Finals, 9 NIT trips, once to the finals, one sub-.500 season in the ten seasons before this one)

Boise State - A "brief" era? We were Boise before they were? Their last season with a losing record was in 1997 - one of 11 ever, and 5 of those were before WWII. They've missed a bowl game once since 99, four times since joining I-A in 96. Went to the FCS championship twice and won once. Beat MU in the 94 Semifinals. Sure, we may have had a bit of a jump out of the gate on Boise, but I would say that they were "Boise State," as you put it, long before anybody else. Even in BB, they still have three NCAA appearances in the last ten years.

If market size mattered, then NYU and the Univ. of Chicago would play for the national championship, not teams from Tuscaloosa Alabama and Clemson South Carolina.

Memphis really is not a "huge market". It is DMA #50, 13 spots above us. Smaller than Albuquerque (maybe the Big 2 Little 8 should add New Mexico? ) and Greensboro (maybe High Point, UNC-Greensboro or North Carolina Wesleyan should add football? ) . But. the AAC lie is that any of that matters. The fact is 99% of people in Memphis could not give a ratsass about the Memphis Tigers.

Houston is a huge market (#10). And 99% of people in Houston could not give a ratsass about the Houston Cougars.

Because being IN a market and being SIGNIFICANT IN a market are two different things.

You do know Rutgers is in the #1 DMA. And cannot draw flies. Right?

But as to Boise State, right. It is, literally, a community college. No not this uninformed smack you get from the Spamtards that tell you that USPAM is Harvard on the Mon and Marshall is a grade school (of course those people never attended either). It is, unique in Div I, a community college. But, more importantly, this role of being the best mid-major moves about. Marshall was it for a very long time, but we were not the first. Grab a set of the ranking as far back as you want to go. Every year there is some school you only marginally know about today in there. Toledo. NIU. Cal State here or there. Today (or better said, most recently but not today) it is Boise State. Eventually the NCAA man shows up, the hot coach moves on, the $$ are not there for the next level's upgrades, the tiny cadre of boosters die out, the locals move on to the next thing. So on. In a couple of years, Boise State will be a footnote and an answer to a trivia question.

MU is in the right conference with the right coach and the right AD. The biggest mistake we can make is paying millions we don't have to make a lateral move to this fanless non thing called the AAC.

If market size mattered, then NYU and the Univ. of Chicago would play for the national championship, not teams from Tuscaloosa Alabama and Clemson South Carolina.

Memphis really is not a "huge market". It is DMA #50, 13 spots above us. Smaller than Albuquerque (maybe the Big 2 Little 8 should add New Mexico? ) and Greensboro (maybe High Point, UNC-Greensboro or North Carolina Wesleyan should add football? ) . But. the AAC lie is that any of that matters. The fact is 99% of people in Memphis could not give a ratsass about the Memphis Tigers.

Houston is a huge market (#10). And 99% of people in Houston could not give a ratsass about the Houston Cougars.

Because being IN a market and being SIGNIFICANT IN a market are two different things.

You do know Rutgers is in the #1 DMA. And cannot draw flies. Right?

But as to Boise State, right. It is, literally, a community college. No not this uninformed smack you get from the Spamtards that tell you that USPAM is Harvard on the Mon and Marshall is a grade school (of course those people never attended either). It is, unique in Div I, a community college. But, more importantly, this role of being the best mid-major moves about. Marshall was it for a very long time, but we were not the first. Grab a set of the ranking as far back as you want to go. Every year there is some school you only marginally know about today in there. Toledo. NIU. Cal State here or there. Today (or better said, most recently but not today) it is Boise State. Eventually the NCAA man shows up, the hot coach moves on, the $$ are not there for the next level's upgrades, the tiny cadre of boosters die out, the locals move on to the next thing. So on. In a couple of years, Boise State will be a footnote and an answer to a trivia question.

MU is in the right conference with the right coach and the right AD. The biggest mistake we can make is paying millions we don't have to make a lateral move to this fanless non thing called the AAC.

Clearly you live under a rock

Tulsa 6-7
ECU 5-7
UCF 0-12

Wow... Magical

Yeah and I think WKU and MT gave us a little picture of how it is...and more competition than UConn. But yeah I put winning the league and a chance for the AB ahead of most games being comp. No way we have dominated CUSA. Rice 2013 still in my rearview. USM getting healthy again. LT proving in both sports they are solid. Don't remember the whining back in the late nineties.

Florida International is also a R1 research university. That doesn't mean much to an athletic conference. Choosy admissions, test scores, etc. do, however. But, as I said, it doesn't matter nearly as much as it used to. The ACC might have thumbed their nose at WVU 10 years ago, but after they admitted Louisville, WVU is a step up athletically AND academically.

The ACC might very well approach WVU if and when it ever expands - my point was that WVU would be foolish to consider moving unless the ACC's TV contract gets a lot more lucrative.
I wouldn't call wvu a step up at all.........at best a wash. wvu is maybe marginally better historically as a FB program and light years behind as a BB program.

the big 12 will add houston and smu reconstructing the old big 8.
houston and smu have the BIG BUCKS and political connections
cincy has neither.

I thought you guys would find this interesting. I don't know who this guys is but @FigurelliSports has tweeted out that Northern Illinois, La. Tech, Western Kentucky and Southern Miss have all been contacted by AAC as possible replacements for Cincinnati and Houston if they move to the Big 12. In other tweets he mentions that San Diego, Colorado State and Boise State were not contacted. Honestly not sure why those schools would be interested anyway because I think MWC is a decent conference. I hope I got the guys Twitter address correct. I don't know who his source is so I will leave it to you guys to investigate. Congrats on having a nice bounce back basketball season. Honestly when Ohio and Marshall played early I would have never thought either would be in the hunt for the league titles. They both looked to be in the middle of rebuilding years but both have progressed nicely. The game next year in Huntington should be a dandy!

Last edited:
Reactions: wvkeeper(HN)
I thought you guys would find this interesting. I don't know who this guys is but @FigurelliSports has tweeted out that Northern Illinois, La. Tech, Western Kentucky and Southern Miss have all been contacted by AAC as possible replacements for Cincinnati and Houston if they move to the Big 12. In other tweets he mentions that San Diego, Colorado State and Boise State were not contacted. Honestly not sure why those schools would be interested anyway because I think MWC is a decent conference. I hope I got the guys Twitter address correct. I don't know who his source is so I will leave it to you guys to investigate. Congrats on having a nice bounce back basketball season. Honestly when Ohio and Marshall played early I would have never thought either would be in the hunt for the league titles. They both looked to be in the middle of rebuilding years but both have progressed nicely. The game next year in Huntington should be a dandy!

Guy is smoking something. What do those programs offer, no viewing area, very low budgets, small or lacking stadiums? I could see USM, MU, and a few others being courted.

Houston being mentioned for Big 12 is a real long shot. Texas does not want another Texas team in the Big 12 that they have to compete with for recruits.

Its probably Memphis and Cincy being courted, but who the heck knows. All we really know is Cincy has been in discussions.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT