ADVERTISEMENT

Looks like the Big 12 will add 2 teams....Cincy has been prominently mentioned.....

UConn will be in the discussion as well.

I personally think Cincy and the Big 12 should really consider BYU. BYU has a very good football program. WVU only needs 1 travel partner to really help us out. Cincy will do, I would rather have BYU than UConn or Memphis.

I personally think Cincy and the Big 12 should really consider BYU. BYU has a very good football program. WVU only needs 1 travel partner to really help us out. Cincy will do, I would rather have BYU than UConn or Memphis.

I can't see UCONN even considering the B12, it's as bad as west Va u, no worse than west Va u joining it. I can see BYU joining maybe, but still it's Utah travel now? Memphis is the right footprint, but isn't a fit.

Nebraska killed themselves by joining the B10, you all made a jerk decision by joining the B12, and let's admit it, it hasn't been great, Rutgers and Maryland don't need to be in the B10 either.

All this travel , all this greed, all came from what???????? When did all this start and who has profited the most from it?

My take its time for a huge realignment realignment. Go back to a eastern conference that makes sense for players and fans. Sick of the greed, it's killing college football the sport I love the most of all sports, and I live in a pro city.

if only TX gave a crap what the schedule filler thought

Exactly. The entire point of the Big 2, Little 8 was to create a deal for Texas and Oklahoma to settle among themselves 9 years out of 10. It has not worked out that way, mostly because Texas made an idiotic coaching hire and because this Longhorn Network is failing because the league based channel model works and the single team channel model has failed. Remember that every team in the old Big 12 with a choice told Texas and Oklahoma to shove it and moved up. We will never know how many teams turned them down before they found Ollie. Was WVU their 10th choice, or their 30th? Who knows.

Exactly. The entire point of the Big 2, Little 8 was to create a deal for Texas and Oklahoma to settle among themselves 9 years out of 10. It has not worked out that way, mostly because Texas made an idiotic coaching hire and because this Longhorn Network is failing because the league based channel model works and the single team channel model has failed. Remember that every team in the old Big 12 with a choice told Texas and Oklahoma to shove it and moved up. We will never know how many teams turned them down before they found Ollie. Was WVU their 10th choice, or their 30th? Who knows.

Considering that WVU is regarded as one of the worst, if not the worst, athletic departments in the country by posters on this board, it's a wonderment WVU hasn't dropped all intercollegiate sports.

But to answer your question, Sammi, let's just agree that WVU was the 75th choice.

Reactions: JCT1
I can't see UCONN even considering the B12, it's as bad as west Va u, no worse than west Va u joining it. I can see BYU joining maybe, but still it's Utah travel now? Memphis is the right footprint, but isn't a fit.

Nebraska killed themselves by joining the B10, you all made a jerk decision by joining the B12, and let's admit it, it hasn't been great, Rutgers and Maryland don't need to be in the B10 either.

All this travel , all this greed, all came from what???????? When did all this start and who has profited the most from it?

My take its time for a huge realignment realignment. Go back to a eastern conference that makes sense for players and fans. Sick of the greed, it's killing college football the sport I love the most of all sports, and I live in a pro city.

That is a strange take on expansion. Sure, I understand that geography is not an ideal fit. But this is not about greed, it is about survival for relevance. If you run a football/basketball program and you want to be legitimate, you have to be in the Power 5. You really think UConn wouldn't jump at a Big 12 offer? Hell they would BEG for it, so they don't become, well, like the Marshall's of the college football world. UConn football isn't dreaming of national titles but there basketball program would be much better off in the Big 12 as well.

And where do you get that the Big 12 has been "bad" for WVU? Outside of travel, the Big 12 has been a great success! WVU has been an average Big 12 football team so far. But Big 12 Basketball has really been a dream come true for WVU. WVU "fits" with the other Big 12 schools much moreso than the Big East, again outside of geography. Our fanbase gets along in the Big 12 and we are building great academic ties with other Big 12 schools.

Nebraska used to recruit Tejas, they aren't getting those recruits as often now.

west Va. U once played in a fiesta bowl, now you play at 11pm EST in the Cactus bowl, that's good?

UConn isn't begging to join the B12. They can barely compete in the AAC.

I find it interesting that the fans of a school in the same state as Marshall that refuses to play in Huntington in any sport woukd spend so much time visiting this board virtually?????

Nebraska used to recruit Tejas, they aren't getting those recruits as often now.

Ahh, the Texas recruiting urban legend.

It's true Nebraska recruited Texas well in the 80s and 90s but its been quite awhile since that state has been their primary focus. The shift happened long before they left the Big 8/Big 12.

Mike Riley's focus is the 500 mile radius around Nebraska as well as California. The Huskers signed three 4-stars from CA (Patrick O'Brien, Marquel Dismuke, Lamar Jackson) so I'd say that strategy is working just fine.

Anyways, sorry to hijack the thread. Let's get back to making fun of WVU.

Nebraska, along with TAMU, Missouri, and Colorodo certainly have not looked back in moving up from the old Big 12. You have to understand what Texas, with Oklahoma being accomodated, thought it was developing with this Longhorn Network and, unique among all the conferences, unequal revenue split. It was supposed to be a Big 2, Little 8, with 8 filed fillers whose role was simply to fight for 3rd place and some meaningless minor bowl. It has not worked, because the LN was a bad idea and because Charlie Strong is a moron, but still, eventually, it will be just what TU and OU wanted. Settled between them 9 years out of 10. Those four had a chance to get out of this Texas-Oklahoma conference, and they took it.

Texas really did not care about who filled the field. It wanted 3 schools in Texas (or put another way, did not want more than 3 school in Texas) and could not care less otherwise. As long as they understood their role as field fillers.

Blunt fact is, eventually, the Big 2, Little 8 will work as it was designed. But the simple fact is, regardless, WVU cannot compete at the true major level and should have remained at the mid major level in the "Big" East/AAC. Its fans accepted and, sadly, actually believed the idiocy spewed out over 3 decades of mid major meaninglessness.

The remainder of the Big 12, in academics, range from VERY good to quite good to good. The idea that an open admissions safety school like WVU has some "academic ties" to any is too stupid to comment upon.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT