ADVERTISEMENT

Los Angeles Train Robberies At an All-Time High

I didn't even know there was a website connected to it until you posted this. I searched and there was no reference to the EK Railroad.

One of the dumber things I have done in my life was walk across this bridge with a couple of buddies in college. Blind curve to the west(?) that prevents you from seeing the trains until they are almost on the bridge. No catwalks, no railings and you have to hit spaced railroad ties 275 feet over the river while you are running for your life...

The resort park by the bridge was abandoned and overgrown when we were there. An interesting place indeed...

All I found on the EK was Wiki.

And of course I have been to that bridge, that was a day trip for me. And of course I do stuff like that. The wife has a crafting day, and I have a day trip day.

You were dumber than fvck to do that. Did you go to UK?

All I found on the EK was Wiki.

And of course I have been to that bridge, that was a day trip for me. And of course I do stuff like that. The wife has a crafting day, and I have a day trip day.

You were dumber than fvck to do that. Did you go to UK?

When did you go?

Yes I did - Joe B. Hall died today...

I may have had a little more courage that day than I needed to have...😉

I love blank votes, we need to institute None of the Above on a national level...if no one wins a plurality verses Fvck No they get kicked out and we run a new election.
You should move to Nevada, although it is not quite like how you wish.

When did you go?
A few years ago. It's really as simple as I read something online about the bridge, probably on Wiki, and decided to make a Sunday drive. That's what I like to do, just find something online I think I want to see and go.
Joe B. Hall died today...
Well that stinks. I listened quite a bit to his and Denny Crum's radio show when it was still on, I hated Joe B. as a coach (being an Indiana fan) but I really grew to like him on that show, he's the kind of good ol' boy old time coach that would never make it today and sounded like a great human being.
I may have had a little more courage that day than I needed to have...😉
Eh, it is the local beverage of choice. You ever try the local plant of choice that isn't tobacco? You sure as hell would not have out-run that train then 🤣

A few years ago. It's really as simple as I read something online about the bridge, probably on Wiki, and decided to make a Sunday drive. That's what I like to do, just find something online I think I want to see and go.

Did you tour the little park and visitor's center by the bridge? That was the part that was overgrown in the mid 80s. Shakertown might still have a boat tour that goes underneath the bridge. One of the railroads ran an excursion train to that park for people to escape the city heat before AC.

Well that stinks. I listened quite a bit to his and Denny Crum's radio show when it was still on, I hated Joe B. as a coach (being an Indiana fan) but I really grew to like him on that show, he's the kind of good ol' boy old time coach that would never make it today and sounded like a great human being.

Do you remember the time Bobby Knight hit Joe B. with the rolled up program?

A couple of weeks before I was married we sat at the same table at a fundraiser for the Disciples of Christ. I sat next to Joe B. I had a couple of labs and coached grade school basketball at the time. We talked a lot about dogs and basketball. This was after he retired but he said he hated recruiting and the most fun he ever had was coaching junior high and loading up his team in his old station wagon.

A family friend played as a freshman for UK when Rupp was there. Joe B. was an assistant and arranged for him to transfer to Sewanee. He was well thought of in that circle.

Eh, it is the local beverage of choice. You ever try the local plant of choice that isn't tobacco? You sure as hell would not have out-run that train then 🤣

Never could stand smoke of any kind... Barely drink at all though I did have a couple glasses of wine at dinner tonight...🙂

b3c39d8d9ca6ec6c919c6db485f56850444b6e4145ae4daa615817a7de0aa41f.jpg

The defense side of this is very interesting and could have bit us in the ass in the Cold War had it gone hot (and nuclear). The USSR had many nuclear ICBMs on rails (Russia still does), they could move them around and we wouldn't know where they were. Meanwhile we were using roads to transport missiles to permanent underground silos. There's a reason I-70 was built first....and why there were a lot of silos nearby. Of course Ivan knew where those were.

Well let's hear it.
Are you suggesting we have no idea where russias railroads are? I’m willing to bet we have eyes on I’ll of those icbm railcars and know where they have been and are going

Hence the reason for my question to @wvkeeper(HN).

Sooo... in California many crimes of theft are not being prosecuted due to the recently enacted Proposition 47 and the resulting inaction of prosecutors. Businesses and even the police are being told to do nothing to stop these thefts. So this is becoming a more widespread problem.

Here is California's primary law related to railroad police.

California Public Utilities Code Section 8226830.33 (e) (1)

e) (1) Any railroad police officer commissioned by the Governor pursuant to Section 8226 of the Public Utilities Code, if the primary duty of the peace officer is the enforcement of the law in or about properties owned, operated, or administered by the employing agency or when performing necessary duties with respect to patrons, employees, and properties of the employing agency.

According to some reports the thefts are occurring as the trains are slowing to enter the intermodal facilities, which seems to suggest both inside and outside of the rail property.

The LA intermodal facility has multiple interconnected locations. It appears the rail yards are approximately 20 and 24 miles away per this information.

Splitting hairs regarding whose jurisdiction and/or responsibility it is is doing nothing to slow the thefts. To me it should be a corroborating effort. But California and many of its localities don't seem to be very concerned with preventing crime or prosecuting them either.

All of this debate about California crime and becoming a garbage cesspool. Yet again. I remember being told this was all just a part of the charm of the place.

Did you tour the little park and visitor's center by the bridge?
Yes, there is a little park there that overlooks the gorge (or whatever the locals call that).
Speaking of excursions to escape the summer heat of the city, ever heard of or been to this place?
That is in Charlestown State Park. Yes I have hiked there.
The problem is when UP does arrest LA lets them go.
As I mentioned before you accused me of not blaming the government.
UP doesn't have a jail. They can't prosecute, only arrest.
This is true. However they could secure a yard if they wished to. Train yards generally are not well secured. Which is kinda scary when you know what is transported by rail.

This is true. However they could secure a yard if they wished to. Train yards generally are not well secured. Which is kinda scary when you know what is transported by rail.
Reports are the yards (LA) are secure, the looting is occurring outside of the yards.

Reactions: KyMUfan
Reports are the yards (LA) are secure, the looting is occurring outside of the yards.

As I read up on this it was inferred there are a couple of railroad yards (including this one) that are 20 and 24 miles from the actual port. Is this accurate?

Seems like it might be stop and go for the trains waiting to enter the yards and that is where the looting occurs.

As I read up on this it was inferred there are a couple of railroad yards (including this one) that are 20 and 24 miles from the actual port. Is this accurate?

Seems like it might be stop and go for the trains waiting to enter the yards and that is where the looting occurs.
It appears there are several yards in that area, one is close to Dodger Stadium, which is 30 miles from the Port of Los Angeles.

Reactions: KyMUfan

I read they are hitting some trains as they are moving. Moving slowly, but still...sounds like a good way to die.

I read they are hitting some trains as they are moving. Moving slowly, but still...sounds like a good way to die.

I read pretty much the same.

Years ago when I was coaching grade school basketball some boys would ride the slow moving trains from one end of town to the other. One older brother, about 9th grade, slipped and lost part of a leg from about the knee down...☹

Kid would be about 40 now...

I read pretty much the same.

Years ago when I was coaching grade school basketball some boys would ride the slow moving trains from one end of town to the other. One older brother, about 9th grade, slipped and lost part of a leg from about the knee down...☹

Kid would be about 40 now...
I saw that happen to another kid when I was about 12. Some kids were crossing over a stopped train, it started up and lurched, he fell, and that was that, lost half a leg.

I hopped a train one time. It was moving slow. Rode it maybe a quarter mile. The other guys did it and so guess I had to. that was it. I thought, you know one slip and no legs. never again.
Saw guys do it after that but not me.

One of the crazy things that I did do several times was ride a motorcycle down the tracks beside a train. Now that was dumb. Rode a motorcyle across a wood railroad bridge over the Guyandotte river many a time. We used to ride the tracks for miles all the time

I use to turn off the road just below Wayne and ride on top of the the rail road tracks in my car (RR track width was the same width as the car track) . It turned the car into an early model auto pilot. Put it in first gear and you wouldn't have to drive it, it stayed on the track by itself. Partied on the hood of the car from Wayne to Lavalette. Took about an hour and then got off at the RR crossing in Lavalette. Did it at night with the lights turned off.

Reactions: i am herdman
I use to turn off the road just below Wayne and ride on top of the the rail road tracks in my car (RR track width was the same width as the car track) . It turned the car into an early model auto pilot. Put it in first gear and you wouldn't have to drive it, it stayed on the track by itself. Partied on the hood of the car from Wayne to Lavalette. Took about an hour and then got off at the RR crossing in Lavalette. Did it at night with the lights turned off.
Dang, now that is a good post. That is some crazy stuff. Did you know the train times?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT