ADVERTISEMENT

Lots of great memories in the Silverdome... It's really gone to HELL

I saw it not long ago. I'm not sure why they don't just blast it away. Maybe practice drone shots or something. I figure it costs too much money to tear it all down though. They're focusing first on getting rid of the slums, but there's not much dough available to do that either.

Personally, I think Rifle should buy it, and turn it into the world's largest whore house.

Originally posted by MichiganHerd:
I'm not sure why they don't just blast it away.
Probably full of asbestos. Not worth the cost to tear down even if it isn't. Why spend money to clear the site when you could just as easily build something on the next lot over?

It is Detroit. The Un-Dome probably fits in with the rest of the neighborhood. Amazing how a broke city replaces a relatively young building. Democrats at work spending money and wasting what is already there.

Originally posted by Herd In the Plains:
It is Detroit. The Un-Dome probably fits in with the rest of the neighborhood. Amazing how a broke city replaces a relatively young building. Democrats at work spending money and wasting what is already there.
Its actually in Pontiac.

Detroit building Ford Field and getting the Lions back in the city has been one of their few bright spots.

Went to 3 of the 4 bowl games we played at the Silverdome and yes, good memories. Detroit and it's suburbs though, are just shit holes. The convenience store clerks have to be encased in bulletproof glass. Thugs lingering on street corners waiting to pounce a victim. Deserted urban prarie, the former working citizens having long since fled the crime and violence. Just one big shit hole, the remains of the Silverdome is typical of the area. Couple of nuclear missiles would put Detroit and it's suburbs out of it's misery. And maybe ours too.

Great memories going to all of our MC Bowl games. Such as being stuck on the highway somewhere in Ohio traffic because of a snow storm, spending $$$ that was supposed to be for Christmas gifts, eating a "Big Fish," and especially watching MU represent our school in a first class way.

Originally posted by MichiganHerd:
I saw it not long ago. I'm not sure why they don't just blast it away. Maybe practice drone shots or something. I figure it costs too much money to tear it all down though. They're focusing first on getting rid of the slums, but there's not much dough available to do that either.

Personally, I think Rifle should buy it, and turn it into the world's largest whore house.
The Silverdome is not big enough to hold rifle's ego.

Saw Monsters of Rock there, circa 1988. Metallica, Dokken, Dio, Van Halen and more. It was loud, I remember that.

Watched Barry Sanders flat destroy the Vikings there when I was a kid. The second pro game I ever attended... Now it would take a Maple Leafs-Red Wings Eastern Conference Finals game seven for me to even think about going to Detroit for anything.

You couldn't pick a better example of what Michigan as a state, has become than that place...

Originally posted by Herdcyclones:
Saw Monsters of Rock there, circa 1988. Metallica, Dokken, Dio, Van Halen and more. It was loud, I remember that.

LOL.

Saw the same Monsters of Rock tour down here at the old Big Sombrero ( old Bucs stadium ) in Tampa way back when...

Metallica, Iron Maiden, Scorpions, and of course, Van Halen...plus two or three other bands in the Tampa lineup ( I think it was Dio and Dokken as well..).

Good times. The Big Sombrero was an awesome venue here in FL back in the day.

smokin.r191677.gif

Wow, that is tough to see.

Looks like those pics of abandoned Olympic sites.

So much of the Detroit metro area is decaying, however, it is unfortunately the norm and not the exception.

Haha, really??? Please... tell me how the Detroit economy, Flint, and others' economies are thriving right now.

Originally posted by Herdstruck:

Haha, really??? Please... tell me how the Detroit economy, Flint, and others' economies are thriving right now.
That's the problem with some of you, who only view Michigan as one big Detroit/Flint with nothing else. Have you ever been to Traverse City? Petoskey? St. Joe? Or any of the many beach towns along Lake Michigan? Grand Rapids is a hell of a nice city. Sure, Detroit has issues. Thugs and others were brought in a few decades ago to work in the auto factories. As technology advanced, and the auto industry went into the shitter, so did the community. The thugs have remained, but they're slowly making a comeback. Downtown Detroit is actually not too bad now. Once the thugs finish off killing each other, it likely will be very similar to any other large city. But make no mistake, Michigan is full of nice places. Northern Michigan ane the UP is hard to beat, as is all of Western Michigan. Are you from West Virginia? You can compare economies if you like, as well as other major statistics.

I'll have to admit though. Before I moved here, I viewed Michigan the exact same way, but I was definitely wrong.

It's easy to make that picture a microcosm of Detroit, but the state of the city is not why it looks like that.

The Silverdome sits 30 miles from Detroit on an otherwise useless piece of land. I'm guessing the only reason it hasn't been torn down like several other stadiums around the country is that the cost of demolition simply isn't worth it.

Although we had some great memories made IN the Silverdome, my memory OF the Silverdome was that it was pretty much a dump in the late 90s. Basically a big box with a puffy roof. Nothing special about it at all. Just that it had a roof to keep out the elements. I remember being completely unimpressed with the facility.

But yeah, we did make some great memories inside it. :)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT