Marshall 110 Charlotte 93 - No not the Hornets

MARSHALL77

Platinum Buffalo
May 29, 2001
Marshall
(11-6)

Charlotte

(7-8)

Another epic defensive battle with our NBA style D - outscoring the other guy is for sure a way to win as long as your shooting well , fall into one of those games ( Ohio State) where we were not and you get your fanny handed to you. Would like to see this team start holding teams to under 75 at least.

Marshall is #8 in the nation in scoring
Points Per Game Leader

1 The Citadel 98.3
2 Kentucky 94.0
3 UCLA 93.1
4 Oklahoma State 91
5 West Virginia 90.7
6 Central Michigan 89.2
Fort Wayne 89.2
8 Marshall 88.6
9 Portland State 88.2
10 Creighton 88.1

But allowing 84.7 ppg ranking us next to last.
http://www.oddsshark.com/ncaab/defensive-stats

You can only win so many games trying to out shoot the other guy i.e we saw the mess in Columbus a few weeks ago when we could not hit the ocean.

Last edited:
Reactions: dangerousdaneerfan
well, Missed most of the first half, but the def looked fairly decent to me until they got up by 10 then it looked to slack off. That said the officals looked to be calling everything on drives, so stay out of foul trouble if you are making your shoots at our end and trading 2 for 2.

Yep, MU is a second half team because Dantoni can coach and adjust at half. The defense played much better in the second half with a few points at the end for Charlotte being against our bench. Also, a Charlotte player stole the ball with less than 10 seconds to go and scored when Marshall was just holding the ball to end the game. There were a lot of Boos by the fans and Steve Cotton commented that the head coach gave his player a killer staredown.

Marshall
(11-6)

Charlotte

(7-8)

Another epic defensive battle with our NBA style D - outscoring the other guy is for sure a way to win as long as your shooting well , fall into one of those games ( Ohio State) where we were not and you get your fanny handed to you. Would like to see this team start holding teams to under 75 at least.

Points Per Game Leader

1 The Citadel 98.3
2 Kentucky 94.0
3 UCLA 93.1
4 Oklahoma State 91
5 West Virginia 90.7
6 Central Michigan 89.2
Fort Wayne 89.2
8 Marshall 88.6
9 Portland State 88.2
10 Creighton 88.1

You can only win so many games trying to out shoot the other guy i.e we saw the mess in Columbus a few weeks ago when we could not hit the ocean.

We're 4-0 in conference play. Enjoy it.

"Duh duh duh deffanse! Yea we lost a dadgum game once before where we got blown out down 2 1/2 starters, duh duh duh see, we suck even though we're 11-6 and 4-0 in conference. Dag on it if we don't score more than we give up....that's how you win and we can't do it 6 times...see??? Nothing is good, Dantoni is ruining the rich recent history of Marshall basketball by making us viable in CUSA...what a joke, bring back Jirsa and his defense...I know basketball stuff buhgh dur dur

Last edited:
Where do those of you who post on here get the idea that this team plays defense? For example Marshall77 posted that we played "epic defense."
I'm glad we won and want to see us continue to win. To me giving up 93 points simply does not equate to "epic defense." Why not just say Marshall wins by however many points.

Where do those of you who post on here get the idea that this team plays defense? For example Marshall77 posted that we played "epic defense."
I'm glad we won and want to see us continue to win. To me giving up 93 points simply does not equate to "epic defense." Why not just say Marshall wins by however many points.
Kept them in the low 30s second half. That seemed so if, especially for MU.

outscoring the other guy is for sure a way to win

64822664.jpg

So if we win 67-50 it is better? We actually show less shots than they did, had more rebounds, assists, blocks, steals and less turnovers and won by 17 yet we sucked on defense? I would say us scoring a 110 had a lot to do with them scoring 93. When you have more possessions that will happen. It is one thing if we are playing a really bad team but Charlotte can shoot well and will make some shots. Sure our defense needs to be better at times but if we are racing up the floor hitting shots the other team will still score some points.

I will take a 17 point win anyway.

I would much rather have this than have a style of play like ODU had.

Yes, we are going to lose a couple of games where we can't throw it in the ocean, but that is the same on the other side. We could be a grind it out, defensive team and still lose a couple of games because the other team just gets hot and shoots a high percentage.

It's hard to keep somebody under 80 when you are scoring 100. They are just going to have more possessions if we are scoring 100 points.

Finally, coach D is using the players he has very well. We don't have a big guy (yet) so why not play a style that allow you to be successful with what you have?

Marshall
(11-6)

Charlotte

(7-8)

Points Per Game Leader

1 The Citadel 98.3
2 Kentucky 94.0
3 UCLA 93.1
4 Oklahoma State 91
5 West Virginia 90.7
6 Central Michigan 89.2
Fort Wayne 89.2
8 Marshall 88.6
9 Portland State 88.2
10 Creighton 88.1

Obviously you did NOT watch last night or Thursday night's game. Has it ever dawned on you that when you play faster you have more possessions. If a team gets 25 more possessions playing our offense than the offense that ODU runs and you are shooting 45% from the floor, there is the potential for quite a few more points to be scored. It has NOTHING to do with lack of defense.

It absolutely amazes me the glass is always half empty, malcontent attitude of some Marshall fans... We are 4-0 in conference play with an offensive output that is the envy of most in the league, yet if we were 0-4 but played a league leading style of defensive things would be so much better?... Why do some of you have to constantly make it a point to suck the joy out of life!!

The object of the game is to have more points than your opponent at the end of the game. I'll take an exciting game with lots of shots rather than one of those hard to watch epic 50-40 games any day of the week. Good grief some of those games look like our pick up games as students.

It absolutely amazes me the glass is always half empty, malcontent attitude of some Marshall fans... We are 4-0 in conference play with an offensive output that is the envy of most in the league, yet if we were 0-4 but played a league leading style of defensive things would be so much better?... Why do some of you have to constantly make it a point to suck the joy out of life!!

AMEN>>>AMEN>>>AMEN....for the Love of John Marshall...The HERD is 4-0 in CUSA, the Coaching staff's & the Player's GOAL===to Win the League and "some folks" bitch about a lack of defense. Permit me to understand. Sporting events have scoreboards. Two sides for that matter. If MARSHALL scores more points than the opponent...Is it a WIN or is it Not?

Malcontent attitude abounds. Closing, if I gave SOME people a Million $$$---SOME would complain about the assortment of Bills.

HerdZilla22 in Charlotte

It's fine if people want to complain (although I personally don't understand it). But what gets me is the people who have no desire to try to understand the philosophy that drives how we play basketball. There are tons of resources out there explaining the evolution of basketball, yet nobody wants to educate themselves and appreciate the way we play.

I'll never understand that.

It's fine if people want to complain (although I personally don't understand it). But what gets me is the people who have no desire to try to understand the philosophy that drives how we play basketball. There are tons of resources out there explaining the evolution of basketball, yet nobody wants to educate themselves and appreciate the way we play.

I'll never understand that.

Sean...CHANGE is difficult for some folks
. Basketball (as they know it) has changed. WELL, it really has not...the goal to winning basketball is to "put the ball in the hole more than the other team." JUST WIN---BABY...some sports guy said that.....

HerdZilla22 in Charlotte

what did you guys expect? We hired the other half of the D'Antoni duo. We space the floor, use pick and rolls and chip away with a barrage of 3's. The goal always is to end up with the most points. 4-0 in conference play thus far... Mission Accomplished!

Last edited:

Apparently did not detect the sarcasm - my noting "epic" was a sarcastic comment and not to be taken that we played any defense basically ,not when you give up the number of points we did and do.

Come on BB get with it...lol

Apparently did not detect the sarcasm - my noting "epic" was a sarcastic comment and not to be taken that we played any defense basically ,not when you give up the number of points we did and do.

Come on BB get with it...lol

Dur dur dur baskiball

After an LSU game a reporter ask Pete Maravich about his lack of defense in which the player he guarded scored 21 points. Maravich replied My man scored 21 points and I scored 44 against him now you tell me who played defense.

Reactions: Elkview
Obviously you did NOT watch last night or Thursday night's game. Has it ever dawned on you that when you play faster you have more possessions. If a team gets 25 more possessions playing our offense than the offense that ODU runs and you are shooting 45% from the floor, there is the potential for quite a few more points to be scored. It has NOTHING to do with lack of defense.

Sure its dawned on me and I watch teams play at the same speed and quicker and those same teams do not give up 84+ points on avg per game.

When you base your ability to win on one thing and one thing only that being trying to just outscore the other guy your going to have situations arise like at OSU when we could not have thrown the ball into the Ohio River much less hit from outside - the lack of defense is going to kill you , teams win all the time when not shooting well , why ?... because they play solid D and limit the other guy..we on the other hand are one dimensional - just try to outscore the other team , that is not the key to a successful season and possibly post season.

We get into post season and there are 25 other teams that play just as quickly as well as faster than we do on O.

You have to look at more than the single aspect of only scoring.

Reactions: dangerousdaneerfan
Sure its dawned on me and I watch teams play at the same speed and quicker and those same teams do not give up 84+ points on avg per game.

When you base your ability to win on one thing and one thing only that being trying to just outscore the other guy your going to have situations arise like at OSU when we could not have thrown the ball into the Ohio River much less hit from outside - the lack of defense is going to kill you , teams win all the time when not shooting well , why ?... because they play solid D and limit the other guy..we on the other hand are one dimensional - just try to outscore the other team , that is not the key to a successful season and possibly post season.

We get into post season and there are 25 other teams that play just as quickly as well as faster than we do on O.

This is a stupid comment. If you think that Dantoni just wants the ball back and see if we can outscore the other team then you have not been to a practice or watched a game but are just looking at stats. We are not the most athletic of teams and to be able to compete with other teams then we have to be able to score. Just like our football teams in the 80's and 90's we had to outscore our opponents... it still works in basketball

Reactions: ohio herd

Dur dur baskiball

you might be stupid

Reactions: herd4life5 (HN)

I still don't understand why you even post here.

Unless you're here to troll... then I understand perfectly.

what did you guys expect? We hired the other half of the D'Antoni duo. We space the floor, use pick and rolls and chip away with a barrage of 3's. The goal always is to end up with the most points. 4-0 in conference play thus far... Mission Accomplished!

Ohio...I will support that Marshall hired THE RIGHT HALF of the Brothers. Dan is one heck of a coach. He & Mike learn a lot from each other. Uncle Lewis taught them a lot about Xs & Os of winning basketball. He has surrounded himself with good assistants. Duhon will be head coach some day...somewhere. Perhaps @ Marshall?

HerdZilla22 (Sweeney) in Charlotte

Reactions: ohio herd
Ohio...I will support that Marshall hired THE RIGHT HALF of the Brothers. Dan is one heck of a coach. He & Mike learn a lot from each other. Uncle Lewis taught them a lot about Xs & Os of winning basketball. He has surrounded himself with good assistants. Duhon will be head coach some day...somewhere. Perhaps @ Marshall?

HerdZilla22 (Sweeney) in Charlotte
I think Duhon may indeed be our coach- he is learning from one of the best

I think there are some valid criticisms of our team and our system, but not based on the last game. As others have mentioned, we buckled down in the second-half, and came out with an almost-20-point victory. There's still a lot of season left, and some tough tests ahead. But we're in a better position at this point in this season, by leaps and bounds, than we were this time last year.

Furthermore, I loved Danny's breakdown that made headlines last week or so. It helped me understand his philosophy a lot more. But there are two things that concern me about this team. 1) When we stop taking the 3. Against #24 Cincy, with a chance to win, we basically shut down our outside game and let them worm their way to a win. 2) Wasted opportunities. I guess this is something that was a little noticeable against Charlotte, but it's been a thing all year. We secured 15 turnovers last night, and often, we turned it right back over. The worst is when we missed layups. I just can't believe how often we miss layups. I understand it's not the focus of our game. But if it's the shot you're gonna take you'd better make it, especially if you're taking it in transition or at the beginning of a shot clock.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT