ADVERTISEMENT

Marshall and MH featured on 60 Minutes....

I like Mike, he is doing a good job. For once, Big Media came to West Virginia and did not play the hilljacked rednecked backward inbred card. Mike looked reasonable and thoughtful, and the UNLV angle made him an appropriate person for this report.

Mike is wrong. First, forget about fixing a pro game. The players, even the bottom players, simply make too much money. So college. Forget about any kid with thinks he has a shot at the pros, which is about 3 times the number that actually do. But as the NCAA ads say "99% of us go pro in something other than sports". So some place like Marshall, and you get to one of Doc's wayward charges to not cover in a game at UNCC one meaningless Saturday. Easy, right?

Wrong. It is all in one big computer in Nevada. All legal gambling is tightly controled. First, the system simply will not let you bet life changing amounts of money on a mid-major game. It just won't. Second, they know about how much money is going to be bet on every game. If an inordinate number comes in, it sets off the fail safes, locks down the game and sends the investigators our way.

You would do better trying to fix the stock market.

I thought Mike represented the university well. He has seen all sides of the issue. Also got some positive pub with the on-campus scenes.

OK Skyhawk you are probably a WVU fan. Is that correct? So let’s just say Shane Lyons made that presentation on 60 Minutes and then I post “He’s out of touch with reality.” Another hypothetical that Mr. Hamrick and that panel were pointing out harkens back to the days of point shaving which - if not monitored by the institution, will lead back to uncontrollable situation such as WVU player on the goal line in your biggest game of the season and for some reason fumbles the ball and much later you learn the kid had been paid hundreds of dollars to throw the game. Now is Mr. Hamrick out of touch with reality or is it you?

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
OK Skyhawk you are probably a WVU fan. Is that correct? So let’s just say Shane Lyons made that presentation on 60 Minutes and then I post “He’s out of touch with reality.” Another hypothetical that Mr. Hamrick and that panel were pointing out harkens back to the days of point shaving which - if not monitored by the institution, will lead back to uncontrollable situation such as WVU player on the goal line in your biggest game of the season and for some reason fumbles the ball and much later you learn the kid had been paid hundreds of dollars to throw the game. Now is Mr. Hamrick out of touch with reality or is it you?
Yeah, we are supposed to listen to the 1st post of an unknown & consider it anything more than bird cage lining? Right...……..

Mike is spot on. It’s not point spreads that colleges fear as much as In Game Prop bets done via phone. Let’s say the bet is player A who averages 20 ppg and the bet is he will score under 11 points in the first half. How easy is it for the player to signal yes or no on the court he will do it? Also I would assume future practices in alll sports to be closed to avoid injury reports and who is not practice or in the doghouse etc. only makes sense given his stance on no medical reports being released. Frankly I agree with him. Prop bets will be the biggest issue to enforce.

I think my delusions about this stuff evaporated in 2005 when the McDougle kid got busted point-shaving at Toledo. If it happens there, it happens everywhere.

My spider-sense was tingling like a mofo for three years, watching Chase Litton throw hot strikes right into the numbers of defensive backs.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
I heard the other day that colleges, like Marshall, will have to have injury reports put out at some point. Why? Because of this gambling thing and the legality of it. It will be similar to an NFL report who is playing this week, injured reserve, etc.

The legal people say because they are public entities and because of the betting you will have to report that the QB is out this week. No more hide until the fans don't see him come out for the opening kickoff.

That way it is full disclosure and there is not chance of someone holding him out to influence the lines. THey might not have to say Billy Joe has a torn ACL and has ringworm, but they will have to report who is not on the active roster for the game that week.

Mike is spot on. It’s not point spreads that colleges fear as much as In Game Prop bets done via phone. Let’s say the bet is player A who averages 20 ppg and the bet is he will score under 11 points in the first half. How easy is it for the player to signal yes or no on the court he will do it? Also I would assume future practices in alll sports to be closed to avoid injury reports and who is not practice or in the doghouse etc. only makes sense given his stance on no medical reports being released. Frankly I agree with him. Prop bets will be the biggest issue to enforce.
there is the issue. Over under on points, number of threes, yards in a game. catching a td pass for the 10th week in a row, etc. Little stuff like that. That is what can be influenced the easiest. Over and under, points spreads, etc.

Transparency with regard to player injury helps protect the athlete from situations where they could be pressured by the staff to play, despite knowing that the player is at risk of permanent or significant long-term injury.

Conversely, opacity with regard to player injury allows the coaching staff to put players on the field with what they term to be a minor "ankle thing" that is in fact a serious "back thing" that ends the player's promising professional career before it ever started.

Just a hypothetical, of course.

Transparency with regard to player injury helps protect the athlete from situations where they could be pressured by the staff to play, despite knowing that the player is at risk of permanent or significant long-term injury.

Conversely, opacity with regard to player injury allows the coaching staff to put players on the field with what they term to be a minor "ankle thing" that is in fact a serious "back thing" that ends the player's promising professional career before it ever started.

Just a hypothetical, of course.
Not saying that doesn’t happen but having to disclose injury reports won’t stop falsifying or downplaying the severity injuries.

Not saying that doesn’t happen but having to disclose injury reports won’t stop falsifying or downplaying the severity injuries.
For what I heard on the talk show is that the schools will be required at some point to provide an injury list and gambling is going to help bring it on.

Of course, but the current system implies a player's physical condition is proprietary information of the coaching staff, which empowers the coaching staff at the severe potential detriment of the player. The strategic advantage of having a player's status be in question for a game is minimal, and for this nigh-senseless bit of gamesmanship, we allow coaches to put false information about a player's health on the public record.

In 2015, a Marshall reporter broke a story about a player injury that had been similarly obfuscated, and he was punished by having his access to the team completely cut off. For the most part, the fanbase supported the coaching staff (in no small part because said journalist is an asshat), and nothing really came of it. I don't know if folks would have reacted the same way if they knew that player would be dead in less than three years.

My thought is, if we're going to run around saying we love and support these young men, then we need to do so comprehensively, in all phases of their lives - not just scoring touchdowns at 22 but being able to walk at 50.

Injury reports - There is nothing in any law I know of that would require a school, public or private, to give out injury reports. In fact, the HIPPA rules and student privacy rules would probably do the exact opposite.

Prop bets - Have you ever gambled? The amount you can gamble on a prop like "over under 3 point shots" is tiny. At Duke. Maybe $100. So somebody is going to commit a major federal felony to win 90 bucks? So you are going to give the kid, what, $40 of that? At Marshall, the amount on such a bet is zero. Crazy props are only in the big games.

But whose to say that the injury reports won’t be fabricated or injuries won’t be under reported. You could just say that everyone is questionable even though a player has a stress fracture in his foot or high ankle sprain. I just don’t see it making that big of a difference either way. And honestly it sounds more like some of our fans are just ticked off because doc, rightly or wrongly, doesn’t disclose injuries like past staffs did

Injury reports - There is nothing in any law I know of that would require a school, public or private, to give out injury reports. In fact, the HIPPA rules and student privacy rules would probably do the exact opposite.

Prop bets - Have you ever gambled? The amount you can gamble on a prop like "over under 3 point shots" is tiny. At Duke. Maybe $100. So somebody is going to commit a major federal felony to win 90 bucks? So you are going to give the kid, what, $40 of that? At Marshall, the amount on such a bet is zero. Crazy props are only in the big games.
There will be is what some legal experts are saying. Again, it doesn't have to be Billy has a hernia or Joe has a torn ACL.

The schools, because of the legal gambling, will have to supply an injury report or who is out for an injury or out for other reasons.

You would want to when this takes off. All the sudden Stud Wide Receiver is not playing. You lose. Did the coach yank him because the coach is being influenced by gambling? Did someone else? Without an injury report did Billy All Star suddenly fake an injury to influence a line?

Has nothing to do with HIPPA or whatever. The Big 10 is already pushing for an injury report. They want to be more transparent.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT