ADVERTISEMENT

MARSHALL BASEBALL

CarolinaHerdZilla22

Bronze Buffalo
Gold Member
Jan 15, 2015
Charlotte
Got the opportunity to watch HERD Baseball in Charlotte (Apr. 22-25). They won the series 2-1. Folks, you need to drive to Charleston & help support this team. Waggs has them playing well. They have good team speed, hit the ball up & down the lineup and FINALLY are getting some very good pitching. They defeated MTSU (on the road) last Saturday 25-9. I hope the football score looks like this November 12.

As of May 2...The HERD (13-8) rests in 4th place in CUSA...ONLY 2 games out of a first place tie with S. Miss (15-6) & Rice (15-6). Fla Atlantic is third at (14-7). Thirteen conference WINS is the most victories by a Herd team since Marshall joined CUSA.

The HERD hosts UAB (10-11) in a 3-game series (May 6-8) in Charleston and ODU (10-11) in Charleston (May 19-21). Marshall plays Wake Forest (ACC) in Beckley (May 17).

HerdZilla22 in Charlotte

Love me some college baseball. Got to see the Herd in Tallahassee when they opened the season against FAMU. Unfortunately, they got bent over the game I attended.

Got the opportunity to watch HERD Baseball in Charlotte (Apr. 22-25). They won the series 2-1. Folks, you need to drive to Charleston & help support this team. Waggs has them playing well. They have good team speed, hit the ball up & down the lineup and FINALLY are getting some very good pitching. They defeated MTSU (on the road) last Saturday 25-9. I hope the football score looks like this November 12.

As of May 2...The HERD (13-8) rests in 4th place in CUSA...ONLY 2 games out of a first place tie with S. Miss (15-6) & Rice (15-6). Fla Atlantic is third at (14-7). Thirteen conference WINS is the most victories by a Herd team since Marshall joined CUSA.

The HERD hosts UAB (10-11) in a 3-game series (May 6-8) in Charleston and ODU (10-11) in Charleston (May 19-21). Marshall plays Wake Forest (ACC) in Beckley (May 17).

HerdZilla22 in Charlotte

Good post, Zilla. Biggest difference between current Herd squad and some of Waggs' prior teams is that he finally has found some OFFENSIVE POP. One of our players leads CUSA in home runs, I believe. Team finally has complete game, offense, defense and pitching. I believe in addition to games listed we have a weekday away game at Ohio U, and a series at WKU. Would be great if team can end up with 30+ wins and qualify for CUSA tourney. Wins against non-conference foes, OU and WF, and a strong tourney run, would help possible post season chances. Team could have easily gone 2-0 against WVU, but lousy relief pitching there cost a victory and team earlier literally booted away a win in extra innings in Charleston.

Good post, Zilla. Biggest difference between current Herd squad and some of Waggs' prior teams is that he finally has found some OFFENSIVE POP. One of our players leads CUSA in home runs, I believe. Team finally has complete game, offense, defense and pitching. I believe in addition to games listed we have a weekday away game at Ohio U, and a series at WKU. Would be great if team can end up with 30+ wins and qualify for CUSA tourney. Wins against non-conference foes, OU and WF, and a strong tourney run, would help possible post season chances. Team could have easily gone 2-0 against WVU, but lousy relief pitching there cost a victory and team earlier literally booted away a win in extra innings in Charleston.

I've watched quite a few games this year. They definitely have a solid offense. Their starting pitching is solid as well and they've been playing the last few weeks without their number two pitcher due to injury but he should be back soon. The bullpen has been inconsistent, but have gotten better lately. If the pen keeps pitching well they have a shot at winning the conference tournament. And Tommy Lane has a shot at breaking Marshall's single season home run record.

My HEART glows with the SUCCESS of HERD Baseball. I plan to attend the Wake Forest game in Beckley (May 17) and catch some of the ODU series (May 19-21) in Charleston.

HerdZilla22 in CHARLOTTE

My HEART glows with the SUCCESS of HERD Baseball. I plan to attend the Wake Forest game in Beckley (May 17) and catch some of the ODU series (May 19-21) in Charleston.

HerdZilla22 in CHARLOTTE

Just completed their second sweep in a row. They've won 8 of their last 9 conference games.
And they clinched a spot in the conference tournament.

Last edited:

HerdZilla22 in CHARLOTTE

Power Park is really nice, Zilla, and the Epling Stadium is not too bad, either. I live only about 40 minutes or so from Beckley and hope to catch the WF game. With 27 wins so far and 8 games to go in regular season, team has a good chance to blow the Herd season victory total (30) out of the water !!!!!

oldeherd...I have watched some games in Power Park...not so for Epling Field. I attended Hurricane HS State Championship victory a couple years ago as guest of head Coach Brian Sutphin. It was a hot day & the place was filled to the max for a high school championship GREAT for the fans of high school baseball in the Mountain State.

HerdZilla22 in Charlotte

Third straight series sweep, longest win streak in the nation, and just tied for most wins in school history with four games left. They're only a game out of first place.

Third straight series sweep, longest win streak in the nation, and just tied for most wins in school history with four games left. They're only a game out of first place.

Actually, both Marshall and WVU now have 9 game winning streaks. In fact, our last loss was in Morgantown, and we have won 13 out of last 15 games, including 3 straight conference sweeps. Hope for good weather Tuesday when they play a good ACC Wake Forest Team in Beckley. Also hope for a good "Kelly Green" turnout there!!

Actually, both Marshall and WVU now have 9 game winning streaks. In fact, our last loss was in Morgantown, and we have won 13 out of last 15 games, including 3 straight conference sweeps. Hope for good weather Tuesday when they play a good ACC Wake Forest Team in Beckley. Also hope for a good "Kelly Green" turnout there!!

Virginia was also going for nine but they lost. I just didn't want to give WVU any credit:)

Definitely need to be in the mid-50s to receive an at large berth in the college baseball playoffs.

Definitely need to be in the mid-50s to receive an at large berth in the college baseball playoffs.

Definitely need wins over Wake Forest, ACC foe I think with ranking in 30s or 40s, and who just won 2 out of 3 from Va Tech, and over conference foe, ODU, this week. Win 3 out of 4 this week and a couple or so in CUSA tourney and team would have a good case, I think!

Reactions: jocktalker
Definitely need wins over Wake Forest, ACC foe I think with ranking in 30s or 40s, and who just won 2 out of 3 from Va Tech, and over conference foe, ODU, this week. Win 3 out of 4 this week and a couple or so in CUSA tourney and team would have a good case, I think!

IF the Herd wins out this week, going into CUSA tourney play, MU is likely to be a Top 45 rpi rated team and possibly a 2 or 3 seed (#1 is not out of the question, but USM and Rice have to provide a bit of cooperation). Win 2 games in the CUSA tourney, and the committee is staring at a 34-win team with a Top 40+ rating and winners of 14 in a row (at that point). That would be very difficult to overlook (though it would be less than shocking to get snubbed under the circumstances). Of course, this team is capable of winning the tourney, so that would be preferable to take it out of the hands of the committee.

CUSA brass have to be hoping that La Tech and MU are on opposite sides of the bracket, that Rice and FAU make the semis, and that La Tech and MU face-off in the finals, with an MU win. Under THAT scenario, CUSA is likely to get five teams in the tourney (as USM, Rice, and FAU are virtual locks at this point, and La Tech has a better rpi at this point than MU - and with LT playing RPI #26 Rice to end the season, LT's RPI will improve to inside the Top 40 even without winning; string together 2 wins, LT jumps inside the Top 35 or maybe inside the Top 30, and MU leap-frogs Rice into second place).

This is shaping up to be a wild weekend in CUSA baseball.

Reactions: alphasig1053
I chickened out & returned to Charlotte late Monday night. I hope the rescheduled game (4:00 PM against Wake Forest) is played. Weather forecast for Beckley (Tuesday) THUNDER, Lightening & 100 % Rain. I left Charlotte for Indianapolis last Thursday (12th) to watch my grand kids play soccer & softball..... and visit new & current credit card processing customers. Saturday (14th) was very windy & about 30 degrees (wind chill) near Indianapolis. I did not take the proper clothing North. I was chilled to the bone.

On Sunday, I was fortunate to play in the MU Cincy/Northern Ky Alumni Chapter's--THUNDERCUP CHALLENGE (Golf) to Rai$e Fund$ for $cholarships for deserving students in the greater Cincinnati area. Some of the current scholarship earners were present for the dinner & awards presentation. Doc, Dan & Mike informed all of us the "state of their programs"...I can assure you---it is positive. Doc talked about the likes of Pitt, NC State, Navy, Boise State, Louisville, Cincinnati coming to Hunting in the next five years. Dan stated The HERD was recently recognized as the 7th Most Desired Team to watch in College Basketball and likely to return to the NCAA tournament after a long absence. The baseball team is one game out of first place by adding their 30th victory on Sunday. Coach Waggoner (Waggs) has the team playing itself into the Road to Omaha (hopefully).

It is amazing what the Cincy Chapter has accomplished over the years and their plans they have going forward (50 scholarships) to attract Ohio/Kentucky students to attend Marshall (student winners paying WV tuition & fees) to further their education. AD Mike Hamrick said it well..."Marshall University is in its BEST POSITION than it has ever been." I played in the same golf foursome as Coach D'Antoni and two of his Sig Ep frat brothers. We recorded a score of -4....10 shots off from the winning team consisting of four Ohio Bobcat graduates (OUCH). I was fortunate to win (silent auction) a Marshall golf bag ($155 bid) and two tickets to the June 27 baseball game between the Reds-Cubs on Row 1 (bid $80). If I can not attend the Monday, June 27 game...I will sell the two tickets for what I paid ($80) and donate the $$$ to the Cincy MU Alumni group. It is an exciting time to be a Son/Daughter of Marshall University...both the football & basketball teams had over 3.0 GPA. This is amazing and very few schools in America can boast the same.

It only take$ a small amount to become a MEMBER OF THE BIG GREEN FOUNDATION. Small donations$ amount up. PLEASE consider joining The Big Green. Marshall NEEDS YOU! "We Are.......A Growing University" and you need to be HERD with your $$$$ pledge. You can afford the entry level donation....Call The Big GREEN today and ....GET ON BOARD to a GREATER University.

Don't wait any longer...call today! Remember what John F Kennedy once said (Dr. Moffit told us so)......."Ask not what Marshall University can do for you---ASK what--- YOU can do for Marshall University." I became a 110 % this year...what's keeping you from joining The Big Green?

HerdZilla22 (Sweeney in Charlotte)

Last edited:
I chickened out & returned to Charlotte late Monday night. I hope the rescheduled game (4:00 PM against Wake Forest) is played. Weather forecast for Beckley (Tuesday) THUNDER, Lightening & 100 % Rain. I left Charlotte for Indianapolis last Thursday (12th) to watch my grand kids play soccer & softball..... and visit new & current credit card processing customers. Saturday (14th) was very windy & about 30 degrees (wind chill) near Indianapolis. I did not take the proper clothing North. I was chilled to the bone.

On Sunday, I was fortunate to play in the MU Cincy/Northern Ky Alumni Chapter's--THUNDERCUP CHALLENGE (Golf) to Rai$e Fund$ for $cholarships for deserving students in the greater Cincinnati area. Some of the current scholarship earners were present for the dinner & awards presentation. Doc, Dan & Mike informed all of us the "state of their programs"...I can assure you---it is positive. Doc talked about the likes of Pitt, NC State, Navy, Boise State. Louisville, Cincinnati coming to Hunting in the next five years. Dan stated The HERD was recently recognized as the 7th Most Desired Team to watch in College Basketball and likely to return to the NCAA tournament after a long absence.

It is amazing what the Cincy Chapter has accomplished over the years and their plans they have going forward (50 scholarships) to attract Ohio/Kentucky students to attend Marshall (student winners paying WV tuition & fees) to further their education. AD Mike Hamrick said it well..."Marshall University is in its BEST POSITION than it has ever been." I played in the same golf foursome as Coach D'Antoni and two of his Sig Ep frat brothers. We recorded a score of -4....10 shots off from the winning team consisting of four Ohio Bobcat graduates (OUCH). I was fortunate to win (silent auction) a Marshall golf bag ($155 bid) and two tickets to the June 27 baseball game between the Reds-Cubs on Row 1 (bid $80). If I can not attend the Monday, June 27 game...I will sell the two tickets for what I paid ($80) and donate the $$$ to the Cincy MU Alumni group. It is an exciting time to be a Son/Daughter of Marshall University...both the football & basketball teams had over 3.0 GPA. This is amazing and very few schools in America can boast the same.

It only take$ a small amount to become a MEMBER OF THE BIG GREEN FOUNDATION. Small donations$ amount up. PLEASE consider joining The Big Green. Marshall NEEDS YOU! "We Are.......A Growing University" and you need to be HERD with your $$$$ pledge. You can afford the entry level donation....Call The Big GREEN today and ....GET ON BOARD to a GREATER University.

Don't wait any longer...call today! Remember what John F Kennedy once said (Dr. Moffit told us so)......."Ask not what Marshall University can do for you---ASK what--- YOU can do for Marshall University." I became a 110 % this year...what's keeping you from joining The Big Green?

HerdZilla22 (Sweeney in Charlotte)

cool story.

Was good to meet you here in Cincinnati, Gary. I, too, wanted that bag..

Was good to meet you here in Cincinnati, Gary. I, too, wanted that bag..

Dang.....I hoped you would run the silent bid up more...I was part of the "plot" to raise Fund$.....Now I own about 10 golf bags (I even won a WVU one last year in a golf outing). In fact, two years ago, I purchased a nice Titliest apple green bag (closest color to HERD KELLY GREEN at the time) and it sits in my garage unused for over 1 1/2 years. It stores a set of Titliest AP1s --Graphite shafts (712 model year) that I may sell if if I can get a decent price.

Ebay & other golf internet sites has killed the consumer wanting to sell pre-owned golf clubs. The graphite shafts AP1s are great clubs but I got a smashing deal on steel shafted AP1s (2015 model) at 1/2 the price ($500) last year & I still prefer steel shafts. The way I played Sunday (poorly poorly)..I could have used some of Bagger Vance's old hickory sticks & performed better. Legendary is a GREAT course...but the fairways about 15 feet wide & the Rough is very high. Several of our selected Tee shots were from the rough because of the slopes of the fairways. I was VERY impress with all the folks that comprise the Cincy/Norethern Ky chapter. If all our chapters were like you guys....Mike'$ H. job would be easier.

WSAZ reported Wake ahead 3-1 in the 7th.

Unfortunately, that was final score. Game called in bottom of 7th inning, 1 out for the Herd, due to "Fog". Yes, "Fog"!! Game was delayed for about 30 minutes as fog rolled in and, apparently, it showed no signs of lifting or blowing away anytime soon.

Herd athletics in the last few seasons appears to have no luck, it seems, when it comes to cooperation from either Mother Nature or the "geeks" at the Weather Channel!!

^^^ No they don't, not since they cleaned up their steroid problem. Would have been a good win none the less.

Top 25 in a WN list is different from a top 25 program, which I take to mean they are a consistent power team.

I like what Nolan does, his rating is as legit as any.

Top 25 in a WN list is different from a top 25 program, which I take to mean they are a consistent power team.

I like what Nolan does, his rating is as legit as any.

You are absolutely right Duke. I should have said Top 25 team instead of program. Big difference.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT