ADVERTISEMENT

Marshall or West Virginia?

I think the highest ranked team we beat was when we beat Wake Forest in the 90's at the Cam. Correct me if I'm wrong...

greenduke i knew it wasnt much to write about. For the yellow belly afraid for a usa team to play a big boy team,,i would love it and it wouldnt be as bad as you think.

I meant in the modern era... Since Bob Z. What was Clemson ranked??? Wake was like, 23rd or something...

The poster was responding to my "I cannot remember the 4th team" comment. He is correct. The tournament was UNLV Georgetown, Clemson and MU. I don't think Clemson was that good that year.

I meant in the modern era... Since Bob Z. What was Clemson ranked??? Wake was like, 23rd or something...

"The Real SamC said:
Nope. MU played Georgetown in a Thanksgiving tournament at UNLV. I cannot remember the 4th team in the deal. I think it was 85 or 86."

I was answering Sam's question about the 4th team in the tournament. The Herd beat Clemson and lost to G-town. Huck was the coach after replacing Coach Z.

We beat Wake #23 in 97-98 and #13 ETSU in 90-91.

We've beaten WVU 3 times when they were ranked......#9 in 05-06 was the highest.

We've lost to #1 Houston, #2 Marquette, #3 Oklahoma, #4 UK, #5 Georgetown, #5 Clemson (they weren't ranked when we beat them in 83-84).

Highest ranked team we've beaten was #8 St Johns in the 1971 MMI.

Nope. MU played Georgetown in a Thanksgiving tournament at UNLV. I cannot remember the 4th team in the deal. I think it was 85 or 86.

Clemson (a game we won)

I bought the tv rights to the games (except for the UNLV v G'town game which CBS owned). It was my first real foray into Television. Syndicated the games into DC, South Carolina, WV and Los Angeles. Same year I started a footprint wide network for the MAC.

It wasn't a Thanksgiving Tournament it was the Annual Running Rebel Classic. CBS kicked off their College Basketball coverage with the UNLV v. Georgetown Game...... which was a predetermined matchup. MU lost to Georgetown in a well played game and beat Clemson the following night.

Posted about it many times. Hucks first yr with Henry, Wade Ervin,Evans, Epps etc and they could play some D. A while after losing to the Herd in Vegas the Clemson coach was asked by another where to get film of a good pressure D? He said look no further than the Thundering Herd.

I don't think you can go wrong with either. You like football, it's a toss up. You like basketball, go WVU. You like baseball, go Marshall. You like hot coeds...toss up. They are HOT, willing and able at both schools!!

I don't think you can go wrong with either. You like football, it's a toss up. You like basketball, go WVU. You like baseball, go Marshall. You like hot coeds...toss up. They are HOT, willing and able at both schools!!

Football is a tossup? WVU football and basketball are on completely different levels than Marshall. Numbers don't lie.

I would say stay an Iowa fan, but cheer for both WV Division I schools. MU and WVU don't play each other, both have good fanbases, and both have good teams.
If you go to a game, you'll find plenty of good fans at both schools. If you go to a WVU game, there will be more jerk fans than there would be at an MU game, but they're pretty easily avoided if you avoid the younger fans. Outside the greater Huntington area, there are fewer MU fans, but I've even seen MU gear being sold in Morgantown as recently as the 2015 football season. Of course, you can find WVU gear being sold anywhere in the state.
Having not played each other in football since 2012 has really calmed down the hate between the two schools, especially outside of message boards, so you shouldn't get more than some friendly teasing wearing whichever school's colors anywhere in the state. Despite what you'll see online, there are a ton of fans of either school who cheer on the other school.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT