ADVERTISEMENT

Marshall vs WKU Game Thread

Wish we didn’t ease up

Agreed. Always been my biggest gripe with Doc.

Now there will be those that say “31 point win and you complain. Some people will complain no matter what.”

Obviously winning by 31 in a game we’re favored by 6 is “good enough”. It’s stellar.

But it’s a game you could have won by 50 and still took your foot off the gas early. When you get your guys used to playing two different styles of football, it’s going to be tough to guarantee that the offense can fire on all cylinders for 4 quarters when the time comes that it’s necessary.

Holliday needs to go for the kill. We aren’t going to get in the 25 letting WKU Score in the last minute

I don’t like the last minute score either, but very few voters will see anything but the final score of this game.

This was a solid game on both sides of the ball. The Herd only had 344 yards of total offense. You won't often find a team with 38 points and only 344 yards of offense. But, the defense caused multiple turnovers including one that went for six. Yeah, I'd like to see Doc put his foot on their throat and then pull the starters but he is what he is.

This was a solid game on both sides of the ball. The Herd only had 344 yards of total offense. You won't often find a team with 38 points and only 344 yards of offense. But, the defense caused multiple turnovers including one that went for six. Yeah, I'd like to see Doc put his foot on their throat and then pull the starters but he is what he is.

That the best you can do after a 10 month absence?? :)

Agreed. Always been my biggest gripe with Doc.

Now there will be those that say “31 point win and you complain. Some people will complain no matter what.”

Obviously winning by 31 in a game we’re favored by 6 is “good enough”. It’s stellar.

But it’s a game you could have won by 50 and still took your foot off the gas early. When you get your guys used to playing two different styles of football, it’s going to be tough to guarantee that the offense can fire on all cylinders for 4 quarters when the time comes that it’s necessary.

Take your foot off the gas early? MU didn't seem to let up till the 4th quarter, the game was already in hand by then.
Why do you want MU to give more to future opponents than they should?
Thing is, so far, the offense doesn't need to fire on all cylinders because the defense is very solid.
Despite the last statement the offense fires on all cylinders already.
MU played their style and won.
Absolutely no point in the game was there doubt.

Take your foot off the gas early? MU didn't seem to let up till the 4th quarter, the game was already in hand by then.
Why do you want MU to give more to future opponents than they should?
Thing is, so far, the offense doesn't need to fire on all cylinders because the defense is very solid.
Despite the last statement the offense fires on all cylinders already.
MU played their style and won.
Absolutely no point in the game was there doubt.

We had ~ 100 yards and 3 offensive points in the second half. We either let up or got figured out.

Again, my point is not about whether it was necessary for this game. Obviously it was fine, this game was in hand.

We lose 1-2 games every year we have no business losing, and I’ve always strongly maintained that this type of coaching is a major factor in that.

I think staying in sync is more important than keeping plays off film. We’ve spent 11 years closely guarding our secrets and being Uber cautious about what we “put on film”. And have 1 ship to show for the effort.

We had ~ 100 yards and 3 offensive points in the second half. We either let up or got figured out.

Again, my point is not about whether it was necessary for this game. Obviously it was fine, this game was in hand.

We lose 1-2 games every year we have no business losing, and I’ve always strongly maintained that this type of coaching is a major factor in that.

I think staying in sync is more important than keeping plays off film. We’ve spent 11 years closely guarding our secrets and being Uber cautious about what we “put on film”. And have 1 ship to show for the effort.
And thus part of my displeasure with Doc

My only concern of the game. Hopefully we were rotating 2nd stringers into the game for experience. I'm very excited about what this team is capable of doing, but last night was Doc football in the 2nd half, yet we didn't seem to see it in games 1 and 2.

Reactions: ohio herd
My only concern of the game. Hopefully we were rotating 2nd stringers into the game for experience. I'm very excited about what this team is capable of doing, but last night was Doc football in the 2nd half, yet we didn't seem to see it in games 1 and 2.
We were especially on their last drive. Names I didn't recognize were out there playing

Reactions: ohio herd
The reason we have depth this year is because Doc is building a program not a one hit wonder. Next year we will have some holes to fill and the only way we keep from having a letdown is to let some 2's play some meaningful snaps. Sure we could have throttled them more but a solid win IMO

Okay, if its not necessary for this game since MU dominated, why are you saying it then?
Save it for a game MU may be challenged with.

BTW it was 10 pts total in the 2nd half, with the defense getting a TD...MU's offense didn't need to do anything the 2nd half.

The reason we have depth this year is because Doc is building a program not a one hit wonder. Next year we will have some holes to fill and the only way we keep from having a letdown is to let some 2's play some meaningful snaps. Sure we could have throttled them more but a solid win IMO
No holes to fill next year unless guys just don't want to come back. Remember, this is a free year.

Reactions: beefcake0520
No holes to fill next year unless guys just don't want to come back. Remember, this is a free year.
true, however we have to have money to fund extra schollys which we don't have. IMO Doc will not invite every sr back but hey I have been wrong before

Reactions: beefcake0520
It was actually the 3s and 4s getting reps. I'd recognize the 2s. But ur point still stands

College was the best 5 years of my life, so if I had a chance to come back for a free year, I'm getting my Masters Degree and playing some ball.

I found myself feeling pretty comfortable with passing out at halftime. One of the few times in recent years.
I looked at the stat line at one point and they'd run 30 plays - 22 passes, 6 QB runs and two handoffs. They're trying to do the Josh Cribbs thing with a slot receiver from Maryland, and it's awful. I realize we had subs in at that point, but when they switched to a more traditional offense, they looked way better.

I think they made another terrible coaching hire.

ADVERTISEMENT