ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL GAME THREAD Marshall vs WKU

Has anybody EVER seen a FG kicker, end of game situation, nail 3 53 yarders......in a row? Unbelievable performance by Justin!! Also - nice gesture indicating ice water in his veins after 1st TO. WKU HC was pissed!! Go Herd!!

Hey - I couldn’t remember to spell Rohrwasser!! Thanks phantom!

Last edited:
How was this almost loss on doc? Cramsey calls the plays and receivers have to catch the damn ball. The guys not knowing where the chains are is on Cramsey. We just beat maybe our best opponent of the year in conference, all guys still bitch or give backhanded comments. Celebrate the win for once. Worry about LT in a few games.

How was this almost loss on doc? Cramsey calls the plays and receivers have to catch the damn ball. The guys not knowing where the chains are is on Cramsey. We just beat maybe our best opponent of the year in conference, all guys still bitch or give backhanded comments. Celebrate the win for once. Worry about LT in a few games.

I have been critical of Doc this season, but this post is correct... Our guys had 5 drops (3 that would have been first downs, 1 would have been a TD) just in the last quarter and a half.

It didnt appear that Marshall got conservative as much as a bunch of guys failed to catch balls in big spots.

How was this almost loss on doc?s.

I only watched the last part of the game starting right after WKU’s tying TD, and I can count at least two ways.

1) Having duplicate numbers on the field is unbelievable poor coaching and preparation. If you have guys on a two deep, it’s as common sense as you can get in coaching to make sure none of them have the same number. If both guys at that position on the two deep are unable to play, the same thing carries over to whomever replaces them.

On a regular Friday walk through/practice, you have a substitute drill for all special teams units. It takes no more than five minutes to do all of them and allows opportunities to make sure something that basic doesn’t happen during a game.

Again, it’s unbelievably poor coaching and preparation.

2) Not telling Justin to avoid kicking the practice kicks on each timeout - sure, if the timeout happens immediately before the snap, you can usually get away with it. But Helton called the timeouts well before the snap, and Justin still kicked each one. By rule, that’s a delay of game penalty. And yes, it is called, especially when the timeout is well before what is perceived as being the snap. Helton had a right to be pissed.
That’s something a special teams coordinator should have gone over multiple times to his kicker. It’s something he should be reminded of before running out in that situation. It’s something he should have been told after he did it on the first timeout.

Beef - Doc hired the guy , its on Doc in the end , bad hire or not ...however Holliday escapes by virtue of our kicker
Yes he did, we gave Snyder the same crap about offense and he went through a few coordinators as a result. I won't defend Cramsey, but he, at this moment, does not have a lot of tools to work with. I do blame him for IG and on field decisions like on the last drive, hitting tight ends who had no idea where the chains are and IG undoubtly not knowing either. Doc may have hired him, but there needs to be continuanty and I don't blame him for not canning him.........yet. if the same crap shows up next year, can him

I only watched the last part of the game starting right after WKU’s tying TD, and I can count at least two ways.

1) Having duplicate numbers on the field is unbelievable poor coaching and preparation. If you have guys on a two deep, it’s as common sense as you can get in coaching to make sure none of them have the same number. If both guys at that position on the two deep are unable to play, the same thing carries over to whomever replaces them.

On a regular Friday walk through/practice, you have a substitute drill for all special teams units. It takes no more than five minutes to do all of them and allows opportunities to make sure something that basic doesn’t happen during a game.

2) Not telling Justin to avoid kicking the practice kicks on each timeout - sure, if the timeout happens immediately before the snap, you can usually get away with it. But Helton called the timeouts well before the snap, and Justin still kicked each one. By rule, that’s a delay of game penalty. And yes, it is called, especially when the timeout is well before what is perceived as being the snap. Helton had a right to be pissed.
That’s something a special teams coordinator should have gone over multiple times to his kicker. It’s something he should be reminded of before running out in that situation. It’s something he should have been told after he did it on the first timeout.
Yes, you are right, but those aren't plays that ultimately cost us, but they could have. Offensive woes was killing us once again, throughout the second half. That part is not on Doc.

Yes, you are right, but those aren't plays that ultimately cost us, but they could have. Offensive woes was killing us once again, throughout the second half. That part is not on Doc.

You must not understand the chain of command in college football.

Offensive woes are entirely on Doc’s shoulders. He makes the final say on who is offered, who is signed, who coaches them, and what plays they run.

He has the final say on everything. If somebody he delegates responsibility to is failing, it’s Doc’s fault. And that transcends all organizational structures- not just college football.

Last edited:

Because he sets the tone. Why does every game have to be a Maalox game? I agree that he did not drop some really catchable balls in key moments. But why is no lead ever safe? Because again we went away from the creative play calling in the second half... because we were up 23 - 7. I knew at that moment he would let off the gas and we would hopefully hang on. It happens all the time. My wife walked into the den, saw the score and said "Oh good Marshall's up by 16" and I said that won't be enough, we'll find away to let Western back into this game.

Honestly I've never been a Doc basher, but damn "this let off the gas" BS is getting old. How about grow a set, and play until the whistle blows.

Reactions: ThunderStruck80
lol delay of game, after a time out. Sure. Would love to see where that's been called. Even their coach who was pissed admitted there's no rule against it after the game.

lol delay of game, after a time out. Sure. Would love to see where that's been called. Even their coach who was pissed admitted there's no rule against it after the game.

Oh, really? It was called on Ohio in 2015 against Minnesota when Ohio was attempting a 53 yarder to tie the game and Minnesota called a timeout right before the snap. That’s not the only time.

So go “lol” to somebody who doesn’t know a million more things about football than you.

And here’s the rule that justifies the refs throwing a flag for it:

Cool story. So a handful (generously) of instances VS the thousands of times kickers have kicked well after the whistle. I'll continue to "lol".

I'd have to back and check, but after the duplicate number penalty I only counted 10 players on the field for our second punt attempt.

I'd have to back and check, but after the duplicate number penalty I only counted 10 players on the field for our second punt attempt.
I noticed another play where we only had 10 on the field. Fortunately we covered the play.

I have been critical of Doc this season, but this post is correct... Our guys had 5 drops (3 that would have been first downs, 1 would have been a TD) just in the last quarter and a half.

It didnt appear that Marshall got conservative as much as a bunch of guys failed to catch balls in big spots.

Exactly.
Marshall actually tried to air it out when you'd think Doc would just sit on the possession and run out the clock.
I can't tell you how many drops MU had that were assured 1st downs and would have put MU up comfortably towards the end of the 4th.

For once, Green threw some very crisp passes. For once MU actually tried to keep their foot on the gas pedal. For once this isn't on Doc.
But the consensus is to blame him regardless so explanation doesn't seem to matter at this point.

Also to answer another question, I don't know about college kickers who are doing well, but Justin Tucker of the Ravens, is damn near automatic in his kicking game. He hits them routinely from 50+ yards out.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT