ADVERTISEMENT

Marshall will play at home in the CIT Monday night at 6 if not invited to the NCAA or NIT

I see Liberty, Austin Peay and Abilene Christian have already accepted CIT invites as of this morning... Belmont has also accepted on the same condition as us, that they don't get into one of the bigger tournaments.

I see Liberty, Austin Peay and Abilene Christian have already accepted CIT invites as of this morning... Belmont has also accepted on the same condition as us, that they don't get into one of the bigger tournaments.
It was pretty much assumed that Radford would be our first round opponent and then they upset the apple cart by winning their tournament. Expect the first round opposition to be a close by school.

I heard off hand that Davidson (18-11) was a possibility... Some other teams that are close (within a bus ride)...

Towson (18-14)
Toledo (21-10)
Ball State (19-12)
North Carolina A/T (19-13)
Evansville (17-14)
East Tennessee State (25-9)
Tennessee Tech (19-14)

Radford stayed in the 1-3 spot in the conference all year, not sure why we expected it to be them. I could see a matchup with liberty and some others mentioned, fairly close schools

Radford stayed in the 1-3 spot in the conference all year, not sure why we expected it to be them. I could see a matchup with liberty and some others mentioned, fairly close schools
That's just what the staff was told

I can't see how this is a gain. It is a really expensive practice session that is really a no win situation. If you win it all, no one cares or notices. I would bet without Goggling no one could name the CIT champion in 2017. SPOILER ALERT!! It was the mighty Peacocks of St. Peters University, The Jesuit University of New Jersey. They stormed through the MAAC conference last year and used the springboard of winning the CIT to follow that up with an overall 14-18 record in 2017-18. The ticket pricing is pretty aggressive so it could possibly be a break even if enough people are willing to watch Marshall Basketball, no matter how bad the opponent.

Reactions: The Real SamC
I can't see how this is a gain. It is a really expensive practice session that is really a no win situation. If you win it all, no one cares or notices. I would bet without Goggling no one could name the CIT champion in 2017. SPOILER ALERT!! It was the mighty Peacocks of St. Peters University, The Jesuit University of New Jersey. They stormed through the MAAC conference last year and used the springboard of winning the CIT to follow that up with an overall 14-18 record in 2017-18. The ticket pricing is pretty aggressive so it could possibly be a break even if enough people are willing to watch Marshall Basketball, no matter how bad the opponent.

Normally, I would agree with you... But not this year.

Our entire team returns next season and I can see why Coach Dantoni wants to play as many games as he can. Also, having an "extra" home game against a regional opponent that is above .500 isn't a bad thing. Two "extra" home games against regional teams that are above .500 is even better and lastly, making the semi's or the championship game of the CIT gets you on national television. Not putting the cart before the horse, but playing on real TV is always a positive.

I think we all would love to see Marshall in the NCAA bracket. But if that doesn't happen, this particular year, hosting a game in the CIT isn't a negative.

Normally, I would agree with you... But not this year.

Our entire team returns next season and I can see why Coach Dantoni wants to play as many games as he can. Also, having an "extra" home game against a regional opponent that is above .500 isn't a bad thing. Two "extra" home games against regional teams that are above .500 is even better and lastly, making the semi's or the championship game of the CIT gets you on national television. Not putting the cart before the horse, but playing on real TV is always a positive.

I think we all would love to see Marshall in the NCAA bracket. But if that doesn't happen, this particular year, hosting a game in the CIT isn't a negative.
Yes, I would say Coach wants to get some post season play to for next season.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
That's just what the staff was told
They got some bad info I guess, I follow some local schools to me like ETSU, Radford, UNCA. Usually the top 2-3 in those "smaller" conferences can hang with most schools. Big south you had Winthrop, UNCA and Radford trading shots. Southern you had ETSU, UNCG, Furman trading shots. If ETSU makes the field of the CIT, would be an interesting matchup for Marshall, one with history and highly competitive. I would say they are nearly as good as MTSU, would definitely be in the upper tier of our conference. If it had been Radford, they aren't as good as ETSU, but not far off.

I saw ETSU when they came to play Western Carolina... They have a nice squad. Pretty much battled it out with UNCG for the So Con the whole way... I would rather see us play ETSU later in the tournament. Let ETSU and MU both host first round games and then go at it in Huntington in the second round.

They got some bad info I guess, I follow some local schools to me like ETSU, Radford, UNCA. Usually the top 2-3 in those "smaller" conferences can hang with most schools. Big south you had Winthrop, UNCA and Radford trading shots. Southern you had ETSU, UNCG, Furman trading shots. If ETSU makes the field of the CIT, would be an interesting matchup for Marshall, one with history and highly competitive. I would say they are nearly as good as MTSU, would definitely be in the upper tier of our conference. If it had been Radford, they aren't as good as ETSU, but not far off.
Anyone else having flashbacks to John Taft dropping 43 points on Keith Jennings and Greg Dennis back in 1992 on Senior Night in The Cam? Might have been one of the best single game performances I ever saw... he did everything and absolutely willed The Herd to a win over a Top 20 ETSU team that went on to the NCAA tourney where they dumped #2 seed Arizona in the 1st round.

For any of our MU sports history geeks:
The last time Marshall men’s Basketball was guaranteed a spot in a post season tournament appearance BEFORE appearing in their conference tournament was .....
Never?

Is tomorrow's game online as well as on CBS Sports? Not a chance that I will be doing much work tomorrow morning :)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT