ADVERTISEMENT

middle class had highest income ever under obama

dherd

Platinum Buffalo
Feb 23, 2007
America's middle class had its highest-earning year ever in 2016, the U.S. Census Bureau reported Tuesday.

Median household income in America was $59,039 last year, surpassing the previous record of $58,655 set in 1999, the Census Bureau said. The figure is adjusted for inflation and is one of the most closely watched indicators of how the middle class is faring financially, as the Census surveys nearly 100,000 homes.

The Census said the uptick in earnings occurred because so many people found full-time jobs — or better-paying jobs — last year.

The percent of Americans without health insurance for the entire year also dropped in 2016 to just 8.8percent, the lowest ever, largely thanks to expanding coverage under the Affordable Care Act.

Incomes rose the most from 2014 to 2016 of any two-year period since the 1960s, CBPP found.
(ALSO DEMOCRATIC YEARS)

"This is a really great report card on what the Obama administration accomplished," says Peter Atwater, president of Financial Insyghts.

The challenge for Trump is to make sure incomes keeping going up and poverty keeps going down during his tenure. "We don't want this to be as good as it gets," Atwater said.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...us-bureau-reports/?nid&utm_term=.08121b9101ce

Reactions: extragreen
That is terrific news. Credit President Obama, if you credit presidents for things they have little control over.
That said I'm glad we reached the mark in 2016, let's hope 2017 is even better.
I've posted on numerous occasions that political parties mean little to me as I have prospered during all administrations.

You are going to have to help me. The headline for the article, and your thread title, say that the middle class did better. However, there's nothing in the article that addresses middle class income levels. The article discusses median household income. As you know, median just defines the mid point between the high and low in a defined group. So let's look at an example and you can explain how it shows the middle class improved, and why.

1. 2
2. 2
3. 3
4. 4
5. 4
Median = 3

1. 1
2. 1
3. 3
4. 4
5. 6
Median = 3

1. 0.5
2. 0.5
3. 3.1
4. 3.2
5. 10
Median = 3.1

Which do you think is best for our economic health and which do you think most accurately defines where we were last year? Also remember that the year 2016 beat, 1999, was the peak of the stock market bubble, so do you think that the rise in median household income was due to good things for the middle class?

tenor.gif

bump for @dherd hell, give @extragreen a chance to bail dtard out.

Defend him from banker? Bwah!! Banker is the one who posted the debt had only increased $50B since Cheetos took office and that the federal government forced banks to give loans to people who they knew couldn't pay it back.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT