ADVERTISEMENT

MORE LAYOFFS at carrier plant trump touted last year

dherd

Platinum Buffalo
Feb 23, 2007
MORE VICTIMS OF REPUBLICAN $1.5 TRILLION TAX CUT FOR BILLIONAIRES WHICH
INCREASED THE DEBT BY $1.5 TRILLION

INDIANAPOLIS -
A new round of layoffs is taking effect this week at the Carrier factory in Indianapolis a little more than a year after President Donald Trump touted a deal that staved off the plant's closure and saved some of its jobs.

About 215 people are being let go starting Thursday, leaving about 1,100 workers at the plant, according to the company, which is a unit of Connecticut-based United Technologies (UTX). That's down from the some 1,600 factory, office and engineering jobs at the facility when Carrier announced plans in early 2016 to move production to Mexico.

This week's previously announced layoffs follow about 340 job cuts at the factory in July.

Mr. Trump frequently criticized Carrier's plant-closing plans during the 2016 campaign. He traveled to the Indianapolis factory three weeks after his election win to announce a tax-incentive agreement partially reversing the closure and keeping some 800 furnace production jobs.

Retired United Steelworkers Local 1999 President Chuck Jones, who was chastised by a Trump tweet after complaining that the president gave false hope to Carrier workers by inflating the number of jobs being saved, said Mr. Trump hasn't followed up on his campaign talk of stopping the country's loss of manufacturing jobs.

"We haven't seen anything that would indicate that he plans on living up to those promises and commitments," Jones said.

The president and other Republicans maintain the business tax cuts included in the $1.5 trillion tax overhaul he signed into law last month will lead to more jobs and higher wages across the country.

The latest Carrier job cuts follow the final closing in November of a 350-worker Rexnord (RXN) industrial bearings factory in Indianapolis. Milwaukee-based Rexnord didn't change its decision to shift much of the factory's work to Mexico despite a tweet from Trump blasting Rexnord for "rather viciously firing" its workers.

Carrier parent United Technologies is also closing a control panel factory in the northeastern Indiana town of Huntington. The last of the plant's roughly 700 production workers are expected to be laid off this year, with that work also going to Mexico.

Indiana officials have approved an incentive package that includes directing $7 million in state tax breaks and grants over 10 years to Carrier toward keeping the Indianapolis factory open. The deal includes Carrier investing $16 million for automation at the plant. The company's CEO has said that will ultimately mean fewer jobs at the factory.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/carrier-factory-layoffs-indianapolis-factory-trump-touted/

Maybe they should move that plant from Indiana to the Southern US like the plant they already have in Charlottte and like their competitor, Trane.

No, but companies seem to do well in the South. Lots of manufacturing move there. Must be something good going on.

Low pay and lax safety standards? Don't feel too bad about it, Indiana is right behind ya'll. A local Tier 1 auto manufacturing facility recently managed to kill someone...because machine guards had been removed and three of the four emergency stop buttons were not even wired up. I guess IOSHA didn't pay too much attention to shit during their yearly inspection.

I've read a lot lately about crazy stuff at Tier 1 and 2's. The common thread always seems to be no union and right-to-work laws. My father was right about one thing about unions: it's good to be able to tell management "fvck you, that's unsafe" and not get fired for it.

Yeah, lower wages.
Pretty decent wages really. If not, so many people wouldn't be moving South.

Oh, and better weather. You can make more here than in WV for sure. Cost of living is pretty low. NC is somewhat more expensive to live.

Low pay and lax safety standards? Don't feel too bad about it, Indiana is right behind ya'll. A local Tier 1 auto manufacturing facility recently managed to kill someone...because machine guards had been removed and three of the four emergency stop buttons were not even wired up. I guess IOSHA didn't pay too much attention to shit during their yearly inspection.

I've read a lot lately about crazy stuff at Tier 1 and 2's. The common thread always seems to be no union and right-to-work laws. My father was right about one thing about unions: it's good to be able to tell management "fvck you, that's unsafe" and not get fired for it.

The South has a lot to offer.

Yeah, lower wages.

giphy.gif

Reactions: WV-FAN
Pretty decent wages really. If not, so many people wouldn't be moving South.

Oh, and better weather. You can make more here than in WV for sure. Cost of living is pretty low. NC is somewhat more expensive to live.

Decent but not great wages. That's a result of globalism and right-to-work laws. It differs market to market, but around here most manufacturing seems to start in the $12-$15 hr wage. $600 a week tops isn't great for a job that can maim you. To get a really good job you have to know someone or win a lottery (seriously, Ford has an application lottery). Hell, even Ford now starts a little over $15 an hr, but their profit sharing is terrific (averages about $10k a year, so a starting worker gets an almost $5 an hr bump in annual pay).

Cost of living is pretty cheap around here.

Decent but not great wages. That's a result of globalism and right-to-work laws. It differs market to market, but around here most manufacturing seems to start in the $12-$15 hr wage. $600 a week tops isn't great for a job that can maim you. To get a really good job you have to know someone or win a lottery (seriously, Ford has an application lottery). Hell, even Ford now starts a little over $15 an hr, but their profit sharing is terrific (averages about $10k a year, so a starting worker gets an almost $5 an hr bump in annual pay).

not bad for no college education and high school dropouts.

I'm still waiting on dtard to explain to us the correlation between tax cuts and layoffs.

And we're still waiting on you to explain to us the correlation between tax cuts and the promised "more jobs" mantra.....

Easy (although foreign to you). Companies have more money than before, thus they can invest in their business operations, take additional risks, and put money into new initiatives in order to grow, all of which require workers to execute and make the company successful. Hence, more jobs.

Now help dtard out and answer my question.

Easy (although foreign to you). Companies have more money than before, thus they can invest in their business operations, take additional risks, and put money into new initiatives in order to grow, all of which require workers to execute and make the company successful. Hence, more jobs.

Let me translate what big country is saying here. Invest in more artificial intelligence to farther automate in the future and eliminate the liability of employees.

Why would businesses expand when they can already meet demand?

"The stock market has soared in anticipation of the cuts with the expectation that they will lead to higher profits, bigger dividend payments and share buybacks."
http://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/...th-third-pass-tax-cut-savings-to-workers.html

Unions are allowed. Misconception. THe difference is the unions have to prove their worth to the workers. There are unions in the South.

If things were so bad the South would not be booming.

Unions are allowed. Misconception. THe difference is the unions have to prove their worth to the workers. There are unions in the South.

If things were so bad the South would not be booming.

North Carolina percentage of unions is 1.9%.

National percentage of unions is 11.1%.

Yeah, they're allowed. NC is a right to work state, which means you can enjoy the benefits without paying dues. What do we call those who don't pay? Oh yeah, freeloaders, entitled, subsidized, etc.

North Carolina percentage of unions is 1.9%.

National percentage of unions is 11.1%.

Yeah, they're allowed. NC is a right to work state, which means you can enjoy the benefits without paying dues. What do we call those who don't pay? Oh yeah, freeloaders, entitled, subsidized, etc.
That is what you call them there. If the unions offered the employees something they would join and are free to do so or they would form a union. They must not see a need to do so.

What is driving wages down more is the vast number of immigrant workers. Not the lack of unions.

Reactions: raleighherdfan
That is what you call them there. If the unions offered the employees something they would join and are free to do so or they would form a union. They must not see a need to do so.

What is driving wages down more is the vast number of immigrant workers. Not the lack of unions.

No, they go to work in a union shop, enjoy all the benefits of the union including union representation at no cost, but don't pay dues. sluggards.

Decent wage, but no benefits. Plus, you had skilled labor. You can go to Charlotte or Raleigh and pull that pretty quickly and if you lose a job then you can find another one.

Are you insinuating that all the workers in the bottom 2 quintiles plus some in the 3rd in NC had benefits? You going to do that?

Are you insinuating that all the workers in the bottom 2 quintiles plus some in the 3rd in NC had benefits? You going to do that?
No, I am saying the job market here is good and you can find a decent to good job pretty quick. Lots of opportunities.

No, I am saying the job market here is good and you can find a decent to good job pretty quick. Lots of opportunities.

And I'm saying there are 28 states with lower unemployment than NC. 33 that have a higher median hourly wage, and there are 22 states less dependent on federal money.

Unions are allowed. Misconception.

Misconception by whom? Of course unions are allowed. They are also strongly discouraged by employers and politicians in right to work states.

And I put right to work together with globalization for a reason. They work hand in hand..."Start a union and we move your jobs to a shithole".

And I'm saying there are 28 states with lower unemployment than NC. 33 that have a higher median hourly wage, and there are 22 states less dependent on federal money.

Then why do people keep moving here in droves?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT