ADVERTISEMENT

need some advice...we are cutting the cord

Raoul Duke MU

Doctor of Journalism
We have decided Time Warner gets too much of our money. Of course, the bastards will still be our ISP.

I know some of you have also cut the cord. What services are you using? Is anyone using Amazon Fire? Can you actually get ESPN on Fire? We are Prime members and it looks intriguing. Of course we already have Netflex.

Can anyone recommend a good HDTV indoor antenna? We are only about 3 miles from most of the area broadcast towers.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

1) We use Amazon Fire (which is awesome) for one tv and a Blu-Ray player with streaming capability for another tv (not as awesome). So I highly recommend getting an Amazon Fire.

2) It is worth going the old-school outdoor antennae route. While you can get one that will work fine indoors for relatively cheap ($20-$40) it is less-aggravating with one that works all the time.

3) You cannot use the ESPN app with Amazon Fire without having a cable/sat account password.

It has been almost three years since we had cable and I have yet to miss it once.

Originally posted by Raoul Duke MU:
We have decided Time Warner gets too much of our money. Of course, the bastards will still be our ISP.

I know some of you have also cut the cord. What services are you using? Is anyone using Amazon Fire? Can you actually get ESPN on Fire? We are Prime members and it looks intriguing. Of course we already have Netflex.

Can anyone recommend a good HDTV indoor antenna? We are only about 3 miles from most of the area broadcast towers.
I may be wrong here, but I think you still cannot get WatchESPN unless you get cable service through a provider. This (and previously HBO) has been the limiting factor for my family for not cord cutting.

We mainly use Amazon Prime, Netflix ("borrowed" log in from my in-laws), HBO GO, Showtime Anytime, and WWE network.

I prefer our Roku over our Apple TV, but the mirroring option on the Apple TV is nice if you use an i-phone or i-pad. I don't know much about the Fire. I also definitely prefer using a Roku or Apple TV (or Fire) over that of the built in smart TV apps. I will never purchase a smart TV and will simply use the streaming devices instead. Sure, it's another remote control but the apps and interface are superior.

I've had Apple TV for yeRs and love it. You can get watchespn but it's only espn3 programming. I agree with keeper get an outdoor antenna it just works better.

See if one of your friends will let you use their log in info so you can watch the rest of epsn programming.

For maximum viewing/convenience of sports you're getting off the internet (ustream feeds, firstrowsports, justin.tv, etc), I'd look into mirroring apps or set ups for the Amazon fire. You could always just use your HDMI out on your computer, but sometimes the mirroring function is nice if you don't want to plug in.

I used to be a Comcast subscriber, along with having Sprint as my cell phone provider.

I cut everything over to AT&T about six months ago. Total spend about $200.00 per month - Great cable package, decent internet, and great cell phone coverage. Saved myself a little over $100.00 per month.

Out of curiosity once I had my brother sign onto my cable account online using my password to see if he could stream an espn game the same time that I did at home. He could. I would NEVER recommend this because it would be ripping off the benevolent carrier, but if you knew someone who has cable that you're close to you could "borrow" their login password you could stream sports from anywhere. But cable companies like Comcast are so good to people I wouldn't recommend it.

We have AT&T. Time Warner costs a little more, but we experienced a lot less buffering issues when streaming with TWC.

Raoul, you can get ESPN through a pay service like sling TV. $20 a month. There was a deal recently where they gave you a free fire stick or $50 off a fire TV by prepaying for 3 months of service. I have been seriously considering this.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT