ADVERTISEMENT

New baseball stadium aerial view...

So $20 million still needs to be raised for it? Is there a commitment from donors to lead us to believe that is reachable in such a short time? If not, is it safe to presume the stadium isn’t going to be built?

So $20 million still needs to be raised for it? Is there a commitment from donors to lead us to believe that is reachable in such a short time? If not, is it safe to presume the stadium isn’t going to be built?
The big money are already on board. That was done before this went public. John Sutherland told me that months or maybe even a year ago. They, for what ever reason, have delayed announcing that with the exception of Rick Reed's contribution.
I know John told me that the former Herd players with MLB experience were really coming through.
No doubt that the needed funds are well below the announced $20 million

Reactions: Herd In the Plains
will you ever be happy? I heard an ex player had lots of uncashed checks laying around his three or four beach condos. maybe that person can gather them up, and send them to Mike

Looks great. I am confident we’ll get the money. Everyone needs to get on board.

Looks great. I am confident we’ll get the money. Everyone needs to get on board.

It would be nice to have more contributors than we had for the IPF. Only 300 people contributed for what was a $30 million project. That is very sad. Sadly I feel there will be less on this one

It would be nice to have more contributors than we had for the IPF. Only 300 people contributed for what was a $30 million project. That is very sad. Sadly I feel there will be less on this one

you are correct. I continue to be surprised at how many "die hard" herd fans don't give, don't buy season tickets or give minimally. if we could monetize bitching and moaning we'd be set.

And three donors made up 80% of that figure. Our fans and alums talk a good game for sure.

Anyone on this thread that can write a check for a million dollars, much less for nothing in return but warm fuzzies, please raise your hand.

Me, I got five on it.

And its great and all this is getting done, but people need to take these renderings with a grain of salt - there is no way what is depicted in those images can be done for the amount of money they hope to raise. This is aspirational, meant to drive donations, but the finished product is going to be a drastically scaled-back version of this.

The APP in Charleston was built for $25 million in 2005, which would be $32 million in today's dollars. I don't see how we're gonna build something that nice for $12 million less.

And its great and all this is getting done, but people need to take these renderings with a grain of salt - there is no way what is depicted in those images can be done for the amount of money they hope to raise. This is aspirational, meant to drive donations, but the finished product is going to be a drastically scaled-back version of this.

The APP in Charleston was built for $25 million in 2005, which would be $32 million in today's dollars. I don't see how we're gonna build something that nice for $12 million less.
based on what I've read, all they really need to do is hire a landscaping company that can lay down some sod out between 1st base and the outfield wall, to allow the coeds a place to gather and sunbathe. Landscapers aren't cheap, but I know a few addicts in Kanawha City that would jump at the opportunity, and probably get the job done for less than $40,000.00.

Reactions: herdalicious
I have no reason to doubt what those in the know say about the financing.

The AD and the prez, not just here but most everywhere, walk a fine line on naming rights. You have the donor things (Cline, Hoops, Edwards, Weisburg), the ex-coach/professor thing (Henderson, Gullickson, most academic buildings), and the pol thig (Byrd). MU has yet to go full commercial, but a lot of places a lot bigger and richer that us have. Kroger paid UK $22M to call Commonwealth Stadium “Kroger Field” for 10 years. No one really does. It’s baseball park is sponsored by Farm Bureau Insurance and the state agriculture department for an “undisclosed amount”.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
you are correct. I continue to be surprised at how many "die hard" herd fans don't give, don't buy season tickets or give minimally. if we could monetize bitching and moaning we'd be set.

Isn't that the truth. Some people aren't happy unless they are complaining. I can only imagine what it will be like if we somehow win out in football and win the championship.

This stadium will be built. There wouldn't be that big of a deal made if it wasn't. But some will be unhappy and complain about it I am sure.

Maybe I need to go back and re-read the initial article but I thought the announcement was that $105mil of $150mil was raised thus leaving $45mil.....Where did $20mil come from? Did I read something wrong a couple weeks back?

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
Maybe I need to go back and re-read the initial article but I thought the announcement was that $105mil of $150mil was raised thus leaving $45mil.....Where did $20mil come from? Did I read something wrong a couple weeks back?

The $20 million comes from the article in the original post. I assume the $105 is earmarked for other uses.

will you ever be happy? I heard an ex player had lots of uncashed checks laying around his three or four beach condos. maybe that person can gather them up, and send them to Mike

You're trying too hard to be a moron. You are a natural in that area, so you don't have to try so hard to be antagonistic and void of logic.

It is only one beach condo (I didn't buy any in PCB), and I am under contract on one in Park City and one in Sale Lake City. You should come visit Park City - a small town of only 8000 citizens, tons of outdoor beauty, and plenty of land for you to avoid people. Michael Jordan even put his mansion on the market here last week, so you will have to worry about one fewer black in town which I know makes you ecstatic.

Isn't that the truth. Some people aren't happy unless they are complaining. I can only imagine what it will be like if we somehow win out in football and win the championship.

This stadium will be built. There wouldn't be that big of a deal made if it wasn't. But some will be unhappy and complain about it I am sure.

Yeah, I mean it's not like Marshall has a history of promising builds, collecting money for them, and then playing "gotcha'" and spending the money elsewhere.

It's a legitimate question based on the article. It's not about being unhappy - it was asking if the money has already been committed by big donors or if it's a case of trying to build something before the money is actually there in hopes that it excites enough people to fund it.

Either the story was poorly written or their is still a ways to go. This is taken directly from the article.

The $22 million stadium, along with the land, is being funded by donations raised by the athletic department.
Athletics still needs to raise about $20 million for the project, which is anticipated to be complete by 2021.

Does that mean that only $2 million of the $22 million needed has been raised? Don't you think if they had the money they would have announced it at the groundbreaking? Maybe they have the money committed and want to make multiple announcements along the way to show progress to keep people interested.

Reactions: Sash19
Sash - I took the exact same interpretation as you did...…...

For what was built, the APP isn't $25 million nice. Not even close. Probably closer to $13-14 million, in 2005 dollars. The City of Charleston drastically overpaid for the site and construction.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
Or people can donate nothing and still pretend to support the school. Cool!

Don't get me wrong - I'm fully behind Marshall spending $20 million of other peoples' money to build a baseball stadium for the two dozen old men who will come out and watch the games at 2 p.m. on a Tuesday in March, I just don't know how that fits into my family's budget.

I think I'm just gonna hang back another 4-5 years and see how this player compensation apocalypse plays out, and if schools like Marshall aren't forced to drop non-revenue sports like baseball in order to keep the lights on, I'll chip in $50 outta my kids' college fund.

Couple of semi related stories out today.

First, Major League Baseball’s deal with minor league baseball runs out after next season. MLB is proposing drastic cuts to how it works, reducing the number of teams by 42 and eliminating the Rookie level. The draft will be cut in half.

http://wvmetronews.com/2019/11/18/m...manfred-seek-to-crush-west-virginia-baseball/

Among the teams being cut is Charleston’s WV Power, along with Lexington, whose fate was sealed when UK got a new park. Meanwhile Morgantown’s WV Bears are slotted for promotion to full season status (currently play only in July and August), which apparently nobody asked WVU about. How can a full-season team work in Morgantown, with all of the WVU sports already there, and not in Charleston, with nothing else going on at all?

Meanwhile, they are looking for a use for the ACF property.

https://www.herald-dispatch.com/new...cle_31775842-7f46-5599-aa25-b4f10c5a4244.html

No real MU use in the short term, although if the university is to grow, that is the direction it need to do so in.

I would not mind seeing the parking lot bought by the school and turned into a proper tailgate friendly place, tied into BG donations and ticket sales. MU probably is in the lowest quarter of I-A in terms of how many cars park on athletic department controlled lots contrasted to private.

Reactions: RhinoD
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT