ADVERTISEMENT

New Herd Insider magazine

Herdon2

Platinum Buffalo
May 15, 2003
Very nicely done I thought. Much better quality than in the past.

Great article in there from Pruett about fan support and fans needing to buy season tickets and donate. Cant continue to compete in this era of college athletics without donations and ticket sales.

Talked about how our ticket sales are stagnant (not down) and how even WVU has been on the decline in ticket sales for 7 straight years. This year with only 27k season tickets.

WV as a state has a lot against it financially so I don't see a lot changing in that respect but if you like the Herd and even if you live in another state it's important to give when you can if you want to enjoy Herd football and see them win.

Reactions: Herd In the Plains
Really, outside of top tier P5 programs, attendence is down across the country. Even in pro sports. The cost is becoming too great. I'm not saying MU season ticket prices are outrageous, because honestly they're not. Just a general observation. If prices don't start to reflect that, schools and teams are going to start seeing nothing but Dallas Cowboys type crowds; wine drinkers at the stadium to socialize and network instead of acting like sports fans.

Live event attendance is down everywhere, not just in WV.

Marshall generates about half of its operating revenue for sports. The other half comes from donations, institutional support, and compulsory student fees. I hate to be the bringer of bad news, but if donations increased by 30% and ticket sales increased by 30% and TV revenue increased by 30%, spending would increase by 30%, and we'd still be playing Charlotte and hearing about how D-I athletes are "exploited."

As far as charities go, there are better ones out there.

Yep, college football is on a 4 year slide attendance wise. The ave. D1 game attendance was just over 42K last year. Of course the top programs in attendance inflate that number to a degree.

How do I get a subscription to it? Living in this part of the northern part of the state, I get NO Herd News!!!!

Live event attendance is down everywhere, not just in WV.

Marshall generates about half of its operating revenue for sports. The other half comes from donations, institutional support, and compulsory student fees. I hate to be the bringer of bad news, but if donations increased by 30% and ticket sales increased by 30% and TV revenue increased by 30%, spending would increase by 30%, and we'd still be playing Charlotte and hearing about how D-I athletes are "exploited."

As far as charities go, there are better ones out there.

Sure there are definitely more important ones than for athletics but those scholarships do help kids who maybe normally wouldn't have gone to college and get a degree instead of getting in trouble or doing nothing in their lives.

IMHO,

- Mag. Does this replace the previous newsprint deal which was more or less weekly? This mag says it is only 6 times per year. It is OK, but obviously has a very long lead time. Cannot really call anything in it "news". Not that that is bad, it is well written, but it is not a week to week coverage of MU sports.

- Live gate. Live gate at sports has been in a decline for a very long time. Today you can see every game in HD in your own living room. Attending a game, even if you live very nearby, is at least half of a college football saturday devoted to one game. Among the things we, and everybody else, have to do is insure that attending a game live is a special thing in terms of atmosphere.

I also got the Thundering Herd illustrated magazine. I don't recall this last year.

I also got the Thundering Herd illustrated magazine. I don't recall this last year.

As I understand it, The Thundering Herd magazine is the publication of the Athletic Department and comes with a Big Green donation at a designated level or above.

The Herd Insider that came out in the past is now being published and distributed as a private enterprise, with a subscription rate of something like $27 a year. It will, from my understanding, be published more frequently than the Athletic Department magazine.

As I understand it, The Thundering Herd magazine is the publication of the Athletic Department and comes with a Big Green donation at a designated level or above.

The Herd Insider that came out in the past is now being published and distributed as a private enterprise, with a subscription rate of something like $27 a year. It will, from my understanding, be published more frequently than the Athletic Department magazine.
Correct. You UST pay Kindred Communication for the Herd Insider or get a copy at sponsor locations.. Big Green members, at a certain level get Thundering Herd Illustrated. I received my copy of TH Illustrated over the weekend. Very nice publication published by IMG for Marshall. Most work done by Chuck McGill. It will be published 6 times a year. Sept, November, December, March, April and June.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT