ADVERTISEMENT

New OC

Can't say I'm all that big on it given so little experience but I'm not going to act like I'm the grand high pooh-bah of football hires either.

Who from Purdue is in the portal? Let's see if we offer.

Reactions: ru4_mu2
Can't say I'm all that big on it given so little experience but I'm not going to act like I'm the grand high pooh-bah of football hires either.

Who from Purdue is in the portal? Let's see if we offer.
Maybe a receiver or two.

I think this is a good indicator that Huff wants to be much more involved with the offense this year.

I actually like this hire... But just at face value of course since I know next to nothing about the guy.

At least we went out, interviewed candidates, and picked the guy Huff liked best. We didn't panic and just hire some coach who has a previous tie to MU.

I'm interested to hear Rifle's take. He is always a good source for coaching hire info and opinion.

Here is what the Purdue site had to say... Very positive.

On the first day of the NCAA Transfer Portal being open, it's the coaching staff that is seeing a shakeup in West Lafayette. Purdue tight ends coach Seth Doege will head to Marshall to be the Thundering Herd's new offensive coordinator, sources confirmed to Boiler Upload after an initial report by John Brice of Football Scoop.

Doege spent just one season in West Lafayette, alongside offensive coordinator Graham Harrell, and was heavily involved in the offense. The tight ends coach was Harrell's right hand man on the field while he was in the box.

Purdue will now look to find a replacement for Doege, who has one of the best units on the Boilermakers' roster heading into 2024.

Reactions: MUMAN3419
Seems like no real experience to get excited about. When I watched Huff's bowl press conference, he passively mentioned the "lack of resources" when finding a new coaches. Already lowering the expectations......

Seems like no real experience to get excited about. When I watched Huff's bowl press conference, he passively mentioned the "lack of resources" when finding a new coaches. Already lowering the expectations......

Exactly...he went from driving a Ferrari to a Fiero.
It's really something for a guy who was proclaimed to be such a stellar recruiter, struggling to even find coaches.
Which, BTW is BS from Huff to say lack of resources. There's no shortage of experienced coordinators from lower levels, he just is either a jerk to work for, knows nobody, or simply is too lazy to reach out to them.

This is a good hire under the circumstances. A guy with a good pedigree looking to call plays and get a line on his resume. Could work out great. Might not. If we were going to have Huff coach on the last year of his deal, we were not going to do much better.

I’m in! Huff picks a guy with Zero OC experience to revamp a stagnant team, let’s just hope he’s right… I would have maybe found a top High School powerhouse HC to try this with but, Heck let’s go herd!

Exactly...he went from driving a Ferrari to a Fiero.
It's really something for a guy who was proclaimed to be such a stellar recruiter, struggling to even find coaches.
Which, BTW is BS from Huff to say lack of resources. There's no shortage of experienced coordinators from lower levels, he just is either a jerk to work for, knows nobody, or simply is too lazy to reach out to them.
Not hard to recruit RB's to Bama. Marshall and Huntington, totally different game than what he was used to.

Reactions: wally2023
Oh no...no. We're right where he'd thought we'd be. We're just in the "process".

I’m in! Huff picks a guy with Zero OC experience to revamp a stagnant team, let’s just hope he’s right… I would have maybe found a top High School powerhouse HC to try this with but, Heck let’s go herd!
Which is exactly what he did the last time he hired an OC. Dude is just in over his head. Let's just come to terms with it.

• Love
Reactions: HerdGrad1999
I hope this is a good hire, but we get rid of one former college QB that went on to be a position coach and then our OC just to bring in the exact same thing. Kind of baffling.
Isn't he the brother of a previous WVU QB?

• Haha
Reactions: Stone_Cold
I felt like Huff has ran his course but d@mn, give the new guy a chance. He has to start somewhere. We sure as hell aren’t making him feel welcome.

Looks like he’s going to be inclined to chuck the pigskin more often. I’m all in on giving that, and him, a shot!

I felt like Huff has ran his course but d@mn, give the new guy a chance. He has to start somewhere. We sure as hell aren’t making him feel welcome.

Looks like he’s going to be inclined to chuck the pigskin more often. I’m all in on giving that, and him, a shot!
Who was the chuck the pigskin guy that applied for Marshall job years back? Best media campaign for a coaching job I’ve seen. 😂

Reactions: marshallsig
At a minimum, he has memorized an air raid playbook before and he spent a year with Kiffin. Based on that, I’ll take a wait and see.

I would prefer a successful FCS OC, but this guy could be the best OC the game has ever seen, you never know. I hope Huff gives him the latitude to run the type offense he wants to run and not just caretake the crap I think Huff prefers.

I’ll give this guy a chance, but hopefully he’s not TrickDaddy2.0

Dear God in heaven...If there's one thing I'm truly looking forward to with Trickett's departure is not having to see you calling him TrickDaddy anymore.

It's almost as bad as hearing the commentators for our games on the NFL Network saying, "Marshall Beaters"

Dear God in heaven...If there's one thing I'm truly looking forward to with Trickett's departure is not having to see you calling him TrickDaddy anymore.

It's almost as bad as hearing the commentators for our games on the NFL Network saying, "Marshall Beaters"
I hate even seeing that TrickDaddy thing. Agree. If I never hear or see "Trick Daddy" again that would be fine. Trick Daddy was stupid. For one he was slightly more imaginitive as an offensive coordinator than Woody Hayes and Bo Schembechler so Trick Daddy was a stupid name for him. Two, there were games were lucky to score 3 offenseive points. Wasn't like we were scoring 60 a game and running flee flickers and triple reverses every other play with 800 yards of total offense.

Reactions: goherdorgohome2
Trick Daddy is a well known rapper from Liberty City (Miami). That's where the name came from.

The guy appears to have no experience managing/controlling an offense. Let alone leading the recruiting of an offensive unit. Even worse, assumptions of bringing an "air raid" offense to us while having a QB who cant seem to throw the ball accurately beyond 15-20 yds consistently.

I have no reason at this point but to believe we will be looking at Trickett 2.0 next season at this point, unless we get drastic changes in some of our personnel.

The guy appears to have no experience managing/controlling an offense. Let alone leading the recruiting of an offensive unit. Even worse, assumptions of bringing an "air raid" offense to us while having a QB who cant seem to throw the ball accurately beyond 15-20 yds consistently.

I have no reason at this point but to believe we will be looking at Trickett 2.0 next season at this point, unless we get drastic changes in some of our personnel.
Yep, to pass the ball effectively, you have to have a legit D1 QB who can do that. Can he coach up Fancher? We'll see. Let's hope.

Reactions: raleighherdfan

Although I see what your saying. He is the OC's(Graham Herrel sp?) right hand man and is involved heavily within his offense. I personally think the offense will be very different come next year. Unless, we are stuck with the same players.

As far as Huff making excuses about money, no other coach in MU history has had trouble getting experienced cordinators....so there is one common denominator in this. Only 133 of these jobs available in the US. So give me a freaking break.

Pronunciation tip:
Doege (pronounced DAY-ghee) brings a Power Five pedigree to Marshall's staff. In addition to his time at Purdue, Doege spent the 2022 season with Ole Miss after three years at USC.

And you need somebody who can separate from the defender.
I didn't see separation being the problem. The speed is there. The play design wasn't. The inconsistency of Fancher throwing the ball accurately downfield, combined with the inconsistency of the receivers catching the ball when it did hit them was also the issue.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT