ADVERTISEMENT

New portal xfer for men’s team….

Oldie: my final attempt:

What you are saying goes against every red blooded instinct of every athlete that has ever played any sport.
I think it was Jack Len-gal who spoke the definitive line in “WAM”
“……winning is everything, and nothing else matters.”
It’s true. It’s always been true. It will always be true!
We are so far past “maybe it’s that we play the game” !!

Imagine this hypo conversation in our regular season finale @ ODU:
(keep in mind we haven’t won a regular season bball conf title in 35+/- years)
TO: 5 mins to go, game in the balance….
DD: “Gawl darn it, those boys on the other end are honoring their seniors tonite.”
MC: “And they’re playing really hard.”
DD: “We can win, and get in the NIT. I played in a couple of those back in the day…”
CJ: “But ODU just seems to want it more.”
DD: “alright, here’s the play. I’m gonna tell the boys to give it all they got, then stand on the sideline with my arms crossed and a stone face.
That should inspire them to get us across the finish line!”

Fans want wins, not excuses. Is that asking too much?

Oldie: my final attempt:

What you are saying goes against every red blooded instinct of every athlete that has ever played any sport.
I think it was Jack Len-gal who spoke the definitive line in “WAM”
“……winning is everything, and nothing else matters.”
It’s true. It’s always been true. It will always be true!
We are so far past “maybe it’s that we play the game” !!

Imagine this hypo conversation in our regular season finale @ ODU:
(keep in mind we haven’t won a regular season bball conf title in 35+/- years)
TO: 5 mins to go, game in the balance….
DD: “Gawl darn it, those boys on the other end are honoring their seniors tonite.”
MC: “And they’re playing really hard.”
DD: “We can win, and get in the NIT. I played in a couple of those back in the day…”
CJ: “But ODU just seems to want it more.”
DD: “alright, here’s the play. I’m gonna tell the boys to give it all they got, then stand on the sideline with my arms crossed and a stone face.
That should inspire them to get us across the finish line!”

Fans want wins, not excuses. Is that asking too much?
You actually heard him say that? We have had some great teams over the years which I have had the privilege to have been alive longer than you to see them . I am proud of this years team. Go get em Herd next year!

• Wow
Reactions: W-S HerdFan
Football has been the focus for the last 40 years, and really it has to be at a school our size... Football revenue is the most important line item in the athletic department budget by a mile.

You can't really feel bad for DD or whoever the basketball coach is though... By the time his current contract ends, DD will have banked close to $5 million for his efforts, we play in a winnable, middle of the pack, league, and there are no repercussions for having down seasons (ultimate job security). It's not a bad gig.
IMO we made the decision in 1987-88. Football was playing for a national title and MBB was getting bounced in the first round of the ncaa tournament. IF you were forced to choose the decision was obvious and we made the correct decision.

I'm not saying MBB wouldn't have been successful with more attention/funding, but it would never have reached the heights that football reached from 1987-2002.

Still even with MBB playing second fiddle to football the right coach could elevate the program.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
IMO we made the decision in 1987-88. Football was playing for a national title and MBB was getting bounced in the first round of the ncaa tournament. IF you were forced to choose the decision was obvious and we made the correct decision.

I'm not saying MBB wouldn't have been successful with more attention/funding, but it would never have reached the heights that football reached from 1987-2002.

Still even with MBB playing second fiddle to football the right coach could elevate the program.
And, I could be mistaken, but I can’t think of a university playing DI in both football & basketball where basketball revenue is bigger than football…..

And, I could be mistaken, but I can’t think of a university playing DI in both football & basketball where basketball revenue is bigger than football…..
Depends on how you look at it... By total money brought in (revenue only) football brings more at every FBS school.

If you look at it by profit (revenue over expenses) a lot of schools do better financially in basketball... Louisville, Duke, UNC, Arizona, Syracuse, Indiana, Illinois, etc.

Football brings in a lot of money at the FBS level, but it costs a ton of money to provide for the program... Basketball doesn't bring in as much, but it also costs drastically less.

For example, University of Arizona made profit in both sports in 2011 (the most recent year I could find data for on businessofcollegesports.com)... Basketball - $13,478,503 profit and Football - $10,712,312 profit

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT