ADVERTISEMENT

Next HC talk

Jartard

Platinum Buffalo
Oct 29, 2019

I forgot about Fuller. I’d put him up there with Rich Rod on my wish list.

Here's the deal. I will be shocked if Huff is let go after after the season. I'm not advocating for him, but I feel like he will be allowed to coach next year. At this point in time ,there is no evidence that we will be better next year. As a matter of fact it looks like a long painful season awaits us next fall. I really hope I am wrong and we do well.

So here it is, we must get the next hire right. I mean this, other wise we could slide so far down we may never get back to relevance

On that list, the guy we could probably afford and maybe get to come here is Ron English from Louisville... That would be a fine hire in my opinion.

But it aint happening... Huff will coach next season on an expiring contract. A decision regarding his tenure will be made after next season.

Agree on Huff being here next year, unless we get blown out on Saturday - then it could get interesting. Next HC needs to be an offense guy first. Our best teams historically have had prolific offenses. No more career assistants without being an HC or many years of OC experience and success. Gotta have connections to build a good staff.

Next years Head football coach is working his axx off to prepare this year's team for their Seniors game; this Saturday at the Joan. Huff isn't going anywhere, unless he so chooses; which wouldn't be that big a surprise. While we only see wins and losses, those hiring coaches see much more, including how they handle adversity and build for the future. Doubtlessly Huff saw a huge deficit in his team's talent and went out to restore it to a competitive level for the SBC. Unfortunately adversity did hit his team this year, injuries have been a major issue, really major. I'd love to see the starting lineup in the defensive backfield from game to ... to last week's starting line up. Also, I'd say that his talent wasn't able to grasp all the idiosyncracies of his systems, both offensive and defensive, of course that is a negative on his choices of assistants. The issue is, as I see it anyway, whether or not his heart is still at MU and in Huntington. He has been given a real rash of shix, and I'm betting he didn't really expect that coming his way. Does he know handle to all the fan and community adversity, that is a different question. If yes, and believes in himself, he'll be back. If not, he'll be gone at his own choosing.

Reactions: cincyherdfan
Next years Head football coach is working his axx off to prepare this year's team for their Seniors game; this Saturday at the Joan. Huff isn't going anywhere, unless he so chooses; which wouldn't be that big a surprise. While we only see wins and losses, those hiring coaches see much more, including how they handle adversity and build for the future. Doubtlessly Huff saw a huge deficit in his team's talent and went out to restore it to a competitive level for the SBC. Unfortunately adversity did hit his team this year, injuries have been a major issue, really major. I'd love to see the starting lineup in the defensive backfield from game to ... to last week's starting line up. Also, I'd say that his talent wasn't able to grasp all the idiosyncracies of his systems, both offensive and defensive, of course that is a negative on his choices of assistants. The issue is, as I see it anyway, whether or not his heart is still at MU and in Huntington. He has been given a real rash of shix, and I'm betting he didn't really expect that coming his way. Does he know handle to all the fan and community adversity, that is a different question. If yes, and believes in himself, he'll be back. If not, he'll be gone at his own choosing.
Mrs. Huff... Welcome to the board and thank you for the insight.

The idea that CH would leave Huntington of his own accord is silly. To do what? Sell Amway? Guy is making $755K and has accomplished exactly nothing. No bigger program is going to hire him, and he is not going to make that kind of money as an assistant, not at the places where the good ole boys club might find him a job. When he is finally fired, either this year or next, he will bubble up as what he is, a career position coach and bounce from place to place, much like fellow failure MS. He is not going to walk away from $775K money. Invest it well in an Index Fund and you can live quite well. Dude is 40.

The idea that we can get a coordinator level coach from a True Major level program is false. They pay more than we do and so do a lot of lower level P5 programs. The next coach, like this one, will be some guy you never heard of.

This is a bad football team.

Fire Charles Huff.

The idea that CH would leave Huntington of his own accord is silly. To do what? Sell Amway?
I think the only way he would leave "willingly" is if Saban needs an RB coach at the end of the season and Huff's exit is framed as a "mutual parting of ways."

Mrs. Huff... Welcome to the board and thank you for the insight.
Wow, so creative; thanks for the brand new approach to cutting someone's post. I've never seen this kind of approach; well not since about 10,000 times in the last couple years. Glad you didn't have to stress your mind for something authentic.

ECU is setting a good example of what Huff should be doing.

Mike Houston (who is also trying to buy himself another year) announced last night that there will be an offensive coordinator change at the end of the season and that all other offensive coaches will be evaluated following the final game.

ECU is setting a good example of what Huff should be doing.

Mike Houston (who is also trying to buy himself another year) announced last night that there will be an offensive coordinator change at the end of the season and that all other offensive coaches will be evaluated following the final game.
Huff needs an ENTIRELY new staff if he stays, but what kinda staff is going to come onboard when the coach is already on the hot seat?

Huff needs an ENTIRELY new staff if he stays, but what kinda staff is going to come onboard when the coach is already on the hot seat?
A young guy that wants a chance to prove himself as a play caller... Young coaches understand that their careers are year to year. They bounce around all the time looking for the next, better, opportunity.

Trickett can go be a WR coach somewhere, Legg can re-retire, the special teams coach can "move on to other opportunities" and Huff can take a swing on some new faces. If he hits, and we improve next year, phenomenal... If not, he's headed out anyway.

Yeah, but what kind of staff would assemble? Same with Parker. Not opposed, just not sure they can get a staff in here to move us forward.

I mean, I have no clue on something like that.

TBH, I don't trust that the Get Along Gang aka the BOG would entertain anyone that is tied to Doc.

I'm just saying, Fuller would leave FSU in a second to be the HC at Marshall.

Anyone saying otherwise simply doesn't know what they're talking about.

TBH, I don't trust that the Get Along Gang aka the BOG would entertain anyone that is tied to Doc.

That's why I think the BOG should be out of the search process. Approve a hire recommendation, sure.

Wow, so creative; thanks for the brand new approach to cutting someone's post. I've never seen this kind of approach; well not since about 10,000 times in the last couple years. Glad you didn't have to stress your mind for something authentic.
Stop, it was a quality burn and you know it. Besides, nobody is in the mood for that much sunshine pumping, especially when we already have Perkins.

Stop, it was a quality burn and you know it. Besides, nobody is in the mood for that much sunshine pumping, especially when we already have Perkins.
Stop, it was a quality burn and you know it. Besides, nobody is in the mood for that much sunshine pumping, especially when we already have Perkins. It is an old burn, nothing new, just pulling some old junk out of an old memory. Get creative if you're going to try to put others down. Otherwise the put down comes from the mirror. It's like someone calling someone a doc sucker these days. Lack of work to make a point, lack of creativity and lack of burn.

• Haha
Reactions: mlblack16.
Keep telling yourself that. Your post wreaked of sunshine and excuses. This is Huff's third season with an obvious and overall declining trend.

The idea that CH would leave Huntington of his own accord is silly. To do what? Sell Amway? Guy is making $755K and has accomplished exactly nothing. No bigger program is going to hire him, and he is not going to make that kind of money as an assistant, not at the places where the good ole boys club might find him a job. When he is finally fired, either this year or next, he will bubble up as what he is, a career position coach and bounce from place to place, much like fellow failure MS. He is not going to walk away from $775K money. Invest it well in an Index Fund and you can live quite well. Dude is 40.

The idea that we can get a coordinator level coach from a True Major level program is false. They pay more than we do and so do a lot of lower level P5 programs. The next coach, like this one, will be some guy you never heard of.

This is a bad football team.

Fire Charles Huff.
Do you know what his salary was at Alabama?

Some of you literally repeat the same stuff over and over when there is zero proof of it being true. Do you think by doing it over and over it will eventually become true? There are a lot of examples over the last several years of P5 OCs and DCs taking G5 jobs even though it was a pay cut.

If you are an OC or DC at a P5 program and you haven’t been thrown into the I’ll be a head coach at a P5 program soon, and you want to be a head coach, they would definitely take a role like the head coach at Marshall. You come to Marshall and do well you will get a great P5 job. Money would not hold them back. Because they know if they take a small pay cut now could turn into a huge pay increase in the future. Look at sone of the jobs that Huff has been talked about since he’s been here and he hasn’t even been that good. Imagine if you come in and win a few championships ala Lane Kiffin at FAU and you end up being a coach at an SEC program. Something tells me Lane made more as the Alabama OC than the head coach of FAU.

When it is Huffs time to go whether it’s this year or whenever we should definitely go after some good OCs and DCs at power 5 programs along with successful head coaches at the FCS level. Let them tell you they aren’t interested due to money before you assume anything.

Bull$hit!

Reactions: HerdGrad1999
Bull$hit!
We'll see if he's here next year. Then we'll see (could be me, I've no problem with being wrong) who is spouting BullShit. You may think he'll be gone because of this year's results, I say he won't be gone unless he decides to go on his on. We'll see who's vision is bullshit in a couple weeks.

Reactions: Aaron Perkins
Some of you literally repeat the same stuff over and over when there is zero proof of it being true. Do you think by doing it over and over it will eventually become true? There are a lot of examples over the last several years of P5 OCs and DCs taking G5 jobs even though it was a pay cut.

If you are an OC or DC at a P5 program and you haven’t been thrown into the I’ll be a head coach at a P5 program soon, and you want to be a head coach, they would definitely take a role like the head coach at Marshall. You come to Marshall and do well you will get a great P5 job. Money would not hold them back. Because they know if they take a small pay cut now could turn into a huge pay increase in the future. Look at sone of the jobs that Huff has been talked about since he’s been here and he hasn’t even been that good. Imagine if you come in and win a few championships ala Lane Kiffin at FAU and you end up being a coach at an SEC program. Something tells me Lane made more as the Alabama OC than the head coach of FAU.

When it is Huffs time to go whether it’s this year or whenever we should definitely go after some good OCs and DCs at power 5 programs along with successful head coaches at the FCS level. Let them tell you they aren’t interested due to money before you assume anything.
Great post. Also, there are only 132 of these jobs in the country. So MU would be very attractive for a coach wanting his shot. We gotta stop selling ourselves short and hopefully we just don't assume a coach doesn't want a job because it's a pay cut.

We'll see if he's here next year. Then we'll see (could be me, I've no problem with being wrong) who is spouting BullShit.
I have to agree with this part of whf2’s post.
If someone can tell me if Marshall football has ever (asterisk Perry Moss) let a head man go before the end of his current contract, I’m all 🌽. Our history screams nice. Huff, for better (hope so!) or worse will be working a 1 year performance based contract in 2024……

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan

But would Fuller take a pay cut to be the head coach at Marshall? I would love to see it but Fuller is making $1.1 million at FSU. Also, Fuller is a candidate for the head job at Syracuse according to their message boards.

But would Fuller take a pay cut to be the head coach at Marshall? I would love to see it but Fuller is making $1.1 million at FSU. Also, Fuller is a candidate for the head job at Syracuse according to their message boards.
Yes he would take a pay cut to come to Marshall as HC. Most guys worth their salt would, they want to run the show

Did Christian Spears ever play football or play in college? I was looking at his bio and his playing experience is not listed or mentioned anywhere I could find. Im sure he's been around the Herd football team enough to see first hand that something is wrong with the culture in the program and coaches.

Did Christian Spears ever play football or play in college? I was looking at his bio and his playing experience is not listed or mentioned anywhere I could find. Im sure he's been around the Herd football team enough to see first hand that something is wrong with the culture in the program and coaches.
With his ego if he had it would have been mentioned. Truthful or not is another story. He’s a lawyer by training besides he isn’t making the call

You shitting me Clark?

Hire my good friend donate wright from West Virginia. He is safety'coach and is one of their best recruiters. His dear friend and mine too gerad Parker left wv for the OC job at Norte Dame for a cool million. He brought donate to WV. Parker and donate played for Phil Ratliff a true son of marshall and someone we all miss dearly here in Louisa. Qb who threw to Parker Jason Michaels was in the super bowl with the eagles as tight end coach and has coached with several teams. He even coached Moss at Oakland and said no player was more dedicated. In high school he said moss would never get past rand university. He was wrong and admitted it

I agree with you. He won’t leave and shouldn’t. I want him back but with some different coordinators.

We'll see if he's here next year. Then we'll see (could be me, I've no problem with being wrong) who is spouting BullShit. You may think he'll be gone because of this year's results, I say he won't be gone unless he decides to go on his on. We'll see who's vision is bullshit in a couple weeks.
He may well be here, but I don’t buy the injury nonsense. He’s just a terrible coach.

Reactions: HerdGrad1999
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT