NHR: Decent MLS Crowd SamC

wvkeeper(HN)

Platinum Buffalo
Feb 4, 2007
Muswell Hillbilly
Dt8S--sXcAEJZ28

The sport of the next generation.

Four generations and counting.

Soccer's obnoxious fans are what makes it so great when the latest soccer league goes the way of all the others.
You have no idea what you are talking about. Statistics show that MLS has the 6th highest attendance of any soccer league in the world. Sure ratings over here aren't as good as football, but the league's attendance and TV ratings are pretty damn good overall and will grow exponentially as my kids' generation become adults.

You have no idea what you are talking about. Statistics show that MLS has the 6th highest attendance of any soccer league in the world. Sure ratings over here aren't as good as football, but the league's attendance and TV ratings are pretty damn good overall and will grow exponentially as my kids' generation become adults.

Your kids’ generation eventually grows up too, just like mine did. Not everyone stays super pansy forever. Two things: Soccer has been the most played youth sport in America for decades. Soccer has sucked for decades, ever since better sports were invented.

Your kids’ generation eventually grows up too, just like mine did. Not everyone stays super pansy forever. Two things: Soccer has been the most played youth sport in America for decades. Soccer has sucked for decades, ever since better sports were invented.
I believe for decades it would be basketball, baseball, and football

Reactions: chuck1069
soccer is gaining fans in the USA no doubt. IMO it will take a long time to overtake any of the Big 3. It may surpass hockey if it hasn't already done so.I actually think it is a good sport. My youngest played soccer and once I understood it I liked it.

We're the TV ratings close to the Super Bowl?

Asking for a friend.

Tell your friend the internet is his friend. Numbers for this year's titanic struggle are not yet out, but the "major" league soccer final last year got a rating of 0.7. For reference, that is about what a not the Indy 500 open wheel car race gets, or half of what a not the Daytona 500 NASCAR race gets, or a third of a regular weekend golf tournament Sunday gets.

The Super Bowl got a 47.4.

Was said a little sarcastically, jackass.

However, age 10 moving down, soccer becomes more and more popular in terms of participation ratio. Soccer and baseball start off being the two most played sports early on in life and fade as the kids get older. Yes, for decades; at least 3 in fact.

I believe for decades it would be basketball, baseball, and football

Early childhood is very clearly soccer and baseball. As kids get older, they turn to basketball, baseball, football etc. or diversify their interest

Soccer holds it’s participation fairly steadily, maybe dropping a little into teen years, while others grow in participation.

Uh. Sports participation in the US is declining across all levels/ all sports. Football has seen the most significant drop.

Soccer is a game North Americans have wisely reserved for girl children. As people grow up, they move on to more complex things. Soccer is way too primitive and simple to appeal to a complex superior society.

But understand where this thread came from. In a discussion, four months ago, about football (real football) attendence, I made an off hand reference to the Market rejected "sport" of soccer. This upset a, as typical, obnoxious soccer fan. So FOUR MONTHS later, finally, there was ONE soccer game (at $10 per ticket, I looked it up) played in a metro area of nearly 6 million people that drew 70K (or put another way, only had 7 thousand unsellable seats).

Boy, this pointless simplicity had only 7000 empties ONCE a year, rather than the typical sea of empties it gets every other week. I guess he showed me.

It will be so grand when this latest idiocy goes the way of the NASL, et al.

Early childhood is very clearly soccer and baseball. As kids get older, they turn to basketball, baseball, football etc. or diversify their interest

Soccer holds it’s participation fairly steadily, maybe dropping a little into teen years, while others grow in participation.
Soccer participation drops in the teens for both sexes as that is when the weaker players begin to be weeded out as part of the current USSF youth system process. The options for teenagers in the sport lessen as the options become low level recreation, school teams, advanced level travel teams, and the US ODP teams. Hell, my daughter is only 11 and she had to try out for advanced travel or her only other options would have been her middle school team or low level recreation soccer. Luckily she was selected, or she may have stopped playing all together as the only option besides school would have been low level rec soccer, but competition is fierce here in the Virginia Beach area and she could be weeded out in the future if she doesn't continue to develop and perform at a high level.

Soccer is a game North Americans have wisely reserved for girl children. As people grow up, they move on to more complex things. Soccer is way too primitive and simple to appeal to a complex superior society.
You obviously know nothing about the game and dislike the sport, which is fine in terms of opinion, but there is no reason to insult those that play the sport. At the grass root recreation level the game is easy to play, but the game becomes more complex and difficult to play as players get older or play at higher levels. You are insinuating that boys that play soccer are weak and soft, but that is a fallacy that is proven by the caliber of athletes that play the sport in the US and the rest of the world. Oh thanks to the left and right wing liberals our society is a world-wide joke.

Was said a little sarcastically, jackass.

However, age 10 moving down, soccer becomes more and more popular in terms of participation ratio. Soccer and baseball start off being the two most played sports early on in life and fade as the kids get older. Yes, for decades; at least 3 in fact.

So you claim that your comment that soccer has been the most played youth sport for decades was sarcasm. Yet you’ve now gone ahead and argued that soccer has been the most popular youth sport for decades for those 10 and younger.

Is that also sarcasm or did you just need an excuse to cover the bullshit you first presented?

But why stop there? I’m not sure what you mean by “early on in life,” but all of the studies and research I have seen don’t support your claim about soccer being more popular than basketball from ages 8-10, which to me, seems “early on in life” regarding youth sports.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
Soccer participation drops in the teens for both sexes as that is when the weaker players begin to be weeded out as part of the current USSF youth system process.

Soccer participation drops in the teens for the same reason Chutes and Ladders participation drops. People grow up and move on to more complex adult activities.

Reactions: herd4life5 (HN)
Soccer participation drops in the teens for the same reason Chutes and Ladders participation drops. People grow up and move on to more complex adult activities.

Like watching NASCAR or rooting on their favorite UCF or WWE person. Both those so called sports are a joke. Their fan bases have average IQ's less than my ACT score. Neither involve any athletic ability whatsoever. Let's not confuse athletic ability with endurance or strength, not the same. Opinions are great aren't they.

Like watching NASCAR or rooting on their favorite UCF or WWE person. Both those so called sports are a joke. Their fan bases have average IQ's less than my ACT score. Neither involve any athletic ability whatsoever. Let's not confuse athletic ability with endurance or strength, not the same. Opinions are great aren't they.
you are a commie if you don't like Richard Petty and Ric Flair.

Guys guys guys - the point of playing soccer isn't being the strongest, toughest guy at your high school. It's looking like an elegant gazelle as you drift back and forth across the pitch in oh-so-short-short-shorts, while a small galley of popular girls named Tiffany and Ashley ogles the grace and beauty of your sinew as it see-saws in front of them, imagining what it would be like to have your baby before prom night.

Oh, I remember getting razzed by plenty of football players, but it never really bothered me because I wasn't trying to f--- those people.

And before anyone asks, yes, I was a rollerblader as well.

Reactions: pdbailey
My favorite joke of all time:

If you call someone who skates a "skater," what do you call someone who rollerblades?

F-g.

So you claim that your comment that soccer has been the most played youth sport for decades was sarcasm. Yet you’ve now gone ahead and argued that soccer has been the most popular youth sport for decades for those 10 and younger.

Is that also sarcasm or did you just need an excuse to cover the bullshit you first presented?

But why stop there? I’m not sure what you mean by “early on in life,” but all of the studies and research I have seen don’t support your claim about soccer being more popular than basketball from ages 8-10, which to me, seems “early on in life” regarding youth sports.

No, it’s kind of like you’re incapable of picking up on sentiments and take everything literally. Although, if you would research you would come to the same conclusion that the younger the age, the ratio of kids playing soccer gets stronger. It weakens as kids grow older. I apologize that you’re insecurity disallows you from noticing certain things in your efforts to demonize and minimalize other posters on the board, jackass.

Soccer participation drops in the teens for both sexes as that is when the weaker players begin to be weeded out as part of the current USSF youth system process. The options for teenagers in the sport lessen as the options become low level recreation, school teams, advanced level travel teams, and the US ODP teams. Hell, my daughter is only 11 and she had to try out for advanced travel or her only other options would have been her middle school team or low level recreation soccer. Luckily she was selected, or she may have stopped playing all together as the only option besides school would have been low level rec soccer, but competition is fierce here in the Virginia Beach area and she could be weeded out in the future if she doesn't continue to develop and perform at a high level.

There are a lot of reasons, not the least of which is lack of popularity and other sport options.

I totally know why participation drops off - once they hit 10, there's immense pressure to join traveling teams and play in out of town tournaments, which is a hell of a commitment for most families from a financial standpoint (not to mention the time commitment). Because of the typically affluent nature of most soccer families, there's this whole economy that's sprung up from selling the development of youth soccer players, and if you can't swim in those waters, sometimes its preferable to find a more "blue collar" sport.

Which is ironic because your kid still f__ing sucks at soccer and the USMNT didn't make the World Cup.

I totally know why participation drops off - once they hit 10, there's immense pressure to join traveling teams and play in out of town tournaments, which is a hell of a commitment for most families from a financial standpoint (not to mention the time commitment). Because of the typically affluent nature of most soccer families, there's this whole economy that's sprung up from selling the development of youth soccer players, and if you can't swim in those waters, sometimes its preferable to find a more "blue collar" sport.

Which is ironic because your kid still f__ing sucks at soccer and the USMNT didn't make the World Cup.
^^^ He's right, you know.

Not the mention the money spent on trying to get your kid into these leagues in the hopes of getting a schoolyard would be a pretty damn good down payment for a 529

Reactions: herdalicious
For the most part if you are a white guy what choices do you have left in sports?

Basketball? Forget it. Unless you got one in the wood pile somewhere or you can drain threes, but you better be able to play defense and have some quickness. Odds are you get shutdown in the NCAA tournament anyway by a black guy. Unless you are White Chocloate forget about it and that was statistical oddity. No room for a slow white guy who can get some boards anymore either. Lebron is just going to dunk it over you and he can dribble and shoot and jump higher. You can't. Kurt Rambis ain't walking through that door anymore.

Baseball? Maybe until high school, some college ball, and maybe rookie league. That is it though. The hispanics are coming in and they can play all positions and are middle relievers and closers. You better be 6'5 230lb and a left handed pitcher who can hit 98 on the gun and have at least two other pitches to go with it. Randy Johnson was a genetic freak. That 78 mph heater you have won't work past 10th grade.

Football: Maybe if you have some genetics to play. Your mom better be big and you better get some foot speed from your dad. If not you might get to play some D2 ball or block for four years even at the D1 level but those SEC guys are going to eat you up on the field and in the draft.

Hockey: Yehh white guys but mostly Canadians and Russians. Where the hell are most of us rednecks going to pay hockey? Not real good odds even for white guys outside of Canada or Eastern Europe.

Auto Racing? Maybe at the local dirt track or some local drag strip. No money in it and they started letting northerners and Jap cars in NASCAR. I guess it could be more of a hobby at the local track where you can drink some beer and run Hobby Stock. But, if you are going to make it big you better have a rich daddy or get a hot rich girl pregnant and hope her dad owns a oil business and likes cars and to waste money on it.

Golf? Well there was Nicklaus but after that the next best golfer(who is really the best but whitey won't admit it) was part black, asian, and some native American. Fused back and 14 surgeries, has the chipping yips, and comes back and wins the tour championship. Good Luck Furyk.

Only thing I can think of is hunting and fishing. The rest of the races don't like cold weather and the water. But, you are not getting a tv show or free Mossy Oak stuff either. You are going to get some good stuff at WalMart or from the Cabelas catalog and hope your old lady doesn't catch you on it.

3.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: wvkeeper(HN)
For the most part if you are a white guy what choices do you have left in sports?

You understate the chances white folks have in sports, especially in baseball, which is 64% non-hispanic white, but you are on to something.

I'm not much on the whole ESPN wokecenter and all of that political ho-ha. But one thing that came out of that was that many commentators there and elsewhere feel that US soccer is deeply elitist. Think of why the most simplistic and thought free sport ever invented, which is a sport of and by the poor in the rest of the world and which has the selling point of "all you need is a ball and some flat land", costs, according to US soccer's own website, $17K/year for MS and HS aged kids in this "elite" travel system. Some feel that this is not by accident, but by design. It is to keep out the "undesireables".

Just another reason to ignore it and its self-important elitist fans.

Reactions: Clarence Woodworth
You understate the chances white folks have in sports, especially in baseball, which is 64% non-hispanic white, but you are on to something.

I'm not much on the whole ESPN wokecenter and all of that political ho-ha. But one thing that came out of that was that many commentators there and elsewhere feel that US soccer is deeply elitist. Think of why the most simplistic and thought free sport ever invented, which is a sport of and by the poor in the rest of the world and which has the selling point of "all you need is a ball and some flat land", costs, according to US soccer's own website, $17K/year for MS and HS aged kids in this "elite" travel system. Some feel that this is not by accident, but by design. It is to keep out the "undesireables".

What’s the cost for elite aau basketball and travel baseball. I’d say they are pretty close to comparable

There is the same level of financial commitments in the other major sports if you want to play at a high level as well. This issue just isn't related to soccer.

As for the USMNT, a majority of the players in the current player pool that have played for the team the last few years (about 80 players) are minorities and most of the players do not come from wealthy or affluent families. There are quite a few players in the group that are first generation Americans and this trend will continue as long as illegal and legal immigration stays out of control. The US didn't make the World Cup because we had a few key players out with long term injuries during the qualifying process, and some of the players got complacent because of poor coaching by Arena and the poor leadership of the team captain Michael Bradley. Bradley didn't hustle on the field and it resulted in other players doing the same.

On talent alone, the USMNT is a close second to Mexico in the region, and the young talent in the US youth program is so good that Mexico has repeatedly tried to target youth players from the US program that have Mexican parents in an attempt to weaken US soccer in the future while strengthening their position. Will the US ever be a Brazil in the sport? Probably not, but the country has the potential to be in the conversation for World Cup titles in the future as the sport grows in the US. The 2026 USMNT that will host the World Cup in the US is expected to be loaded with talent and could be a dark horse favorite if the players that are expected to be in their prime at that time continue to develop and meet their potential.

I believe the cost you are reporting is for the elite USSF academy teams, which is the highest youth level in the US. Most travel team programs in the system cost much less than that per year, but it certainly isn't cheap. Fees to play travel soccer in the league here in Virginia is $4-5K per year, but fees can be waived if a kid's family can't afford the cost and they are an elite level player. Realistically, travel soccer fees cover coaching and training fees, administrative fees, referee and field usage costs, and uniform costs. Please note that most youth programs at soccer clubs in Europe charge the same types of fees for youth players, but elite players can also receive scholarships to offset costs.

No, it’s kind of like you’re incapable of picking up on sentiments and take everything literally.

Then, explain this. You claim that your original comment about soccer being the most popular sport among children over the last few decades was sarcasm. Then, right after claiming it was sarcasm, you argued that soccer was the most popular sport among a certain age range of children for the last few decades.

So which one is it? You were being sarcastic with your claim or you weren't?

Although, if you would research you would come to the same conclusion that the younger the age, the ratio of kids playing soccer gets stronger. It weakens as kids grow older. I apologize that you’re insecurity disallows you from noticing certain things in your efforts to demonize and minimalize other posters on the board, jackass.

That point wasn't being disputed. What was being disputed was your false claim, that you then claimed as sarcasm, only to then argue almost the exact same thing.

You really should just give up with your attempts, as this is what you've done to yourself:

MXSH00Q.png

The U.S. men's team is almost unwatchable. Along those same lines, watching MLS as opposed to EPL, La Liga, or Bundesliga is like watching CUSA as opposed to SEC, ACC, or the Big 10.

Reactions: GreenDuke
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT