ADVERTISEMENT

NHR.........or is it?

W-S HerdFan

Platinum Buffalo
Aug 14, 2002
Sarasota, FL
2guoW1y

Rant on US soccer . Sounds like this board after any f’ball game....win or lose!

Reactions: ToesMU
IM not a huge soccer fan but I watch any international competition Incan because I want the US to dominate in everything. He’s not wrong. The problem is our best athletes aren’t playing soccer. They play football and basketball. Instead we get upper middle class white kids with terrible hair cuts whose mommy was to scared to let little timmy play football. We should be better with the money involved.

Soccer - the sport of the next generation.
Three generations and counting.

Soccer is like a petulant child. If you ignore it long enough it will go away.

Soccer. A sport North Americans rightly reserve for girl children which some lesser countries actually watch.

Reactions: cottrell75
IM not a huge soccer fan but I watch any international competition Incan because I want the US to dominate in everything. He’s not wrong. The problem is our best athletes aren’t playing soccer. They play football and basketball. Instead we get upper middle class white kids with terrible hair cuts whose mommy was to scared to let little timmy play football. We should be better with the money involved.
Wrong. Very few of the players on our current national team fit that stereotype. As an example Clint Dempsey grew up in podunk TX and his mom used to drive him 150 miles just so he could play soccer and they didn't have a pot to piss in. We also have several 1st generation Americans that grew up in low income households that used soccer as a way out of a blue collar working class lifestyle. The only silver spoon in the team is the Captain, Michael Bradley, his dad is an accomplished college and professional level head coach. Also, the myth about our best athletes not playing soccer is hogwash as most of the players on the team are very good athletes, and the body type of athletes that play pro football, basketball, and baseball do not translate well to the game of soccer where ball control skills with your feet chest and head are much more important than physical strength or size that is so important in those sports. Lionel Messi, one of the best players to ever play the game is only about 5-7 and maybe weighs 160-170 lbs.

The real issue with US Soccer is the current youth system does not translate well to the development of top professional level players. Many youth teams are coached by the parents of players, which means some kids aren't getting good instructions. I current coach my son's U7/U8 team, and at least I used to have my licenses and have a lot of experience playing/coaching at the top amateur level, but the same can't be said for a large majority of coaches involved in youth soccer development. Another issue is that most of the elite/travel/academy teams stifle the opportunity for players to develop as the cutoff for most of those teams is ages 11-12, and we all know that kids develop physically at different rates as they get older, and the players pools are culled too early in the process as a result. The former US coach, Jurgen Klinsmann, was trying to change the youth system to be more like the successful German youth system he built in his time as coach of the German National Team, but most of the US Soccer youth organizations were resistant to the changes he wanted to implement, and he was ultimately fired due to US Soccer's leadership wanting instant results instead of looking at the changes with a long term view.

I do believe this is a just a bump in the road for US Soccer, but the current leadership, head coach, and many of the older players need to be let go in order to move forward.

Sorry for the long post. My kids and I watched the game last night and it was a sad sight to behold, and I needed to get this crap off my chest.:(

Last edited:
I always played football. However I had a son who played football and a son who plays soccer so i have developed a like for the sport. That being said, there are plenty of good atheletes that play soccer. And far being a sport for kids scared to play football some of these kids just like soccer better.

Reactions: pdbailey
Wrong. Very few of the players on our current national team fit that stereotype. As an example Clint Dempsey grew up in podunk TX and his mom used to drive him 150 miles just so he could play soccer and they didn't have a pot to piss in. We also have several 1st generation Americans that grew up in low income households that used soccer as a way out of a blue collar working class lifestyle. The only silver spoon in the team is the Captain, Michael Bradley, his dad is an accomplished college and professional level head coach. Also, the myth about our best athletes not playing soccer is hogwash as most of the players on the team are very good athletes, and the body type of athletes that play pro football, basketball, and baseball do not translate well to the game of soccer where ball control skills with your feet chest and head are much more important than physical strength or size that is so important in those sports. Lionel Messi, one of the best players to ever play the game is only about 5-7 and maybe weighs 160-170 lbs.

The real issue with US Soccer is the current youth system does not translate well to the development of top professional level players. Many youth teams are coached by the parents of players, which means some kids aren't getting good instructions. I current coach my son's U7/U8 team, and at least I used to have my licenses and have a lot of experience playing/coaching at the top amateur level, but the same can't be said for a large majority of coaches involved in youth soccer development. Another issue is that most of the elite/travel/academy teams stifle the opportunity for players to develop as the cutoff for most of those teams is ages 11-12, and we all know that kids develop physically at different rates as they get older, and the players pools are culled too early in the process as a result. The former US coach, Jurgen Klinsmann, was trying to change the youth system to be more like the successful German youth system he built in his time as coach of the German National Team, but most of the US Soccer youth organizations were resistant to the changes he wanted to implement, and he was ultimately fired due to US Soccer's leadership wanting instant results instead of looking at the changes with a long term view.

I do believe this is a just a bump in the road for US Soccer, but the current leadership, head coach, and many of the older players need to be let go in order to move forward.

Sorry for the long post. My kids and I watched the game last night and it was a sad sight to behold, and I needed to get this crap off my chest.:(
I grew up poor...no one that's "poor" can drive 150 miles to play anything.

I think soccer players are great athletes and they can do amazing things with a soccer ball but it still doesn’t make me interested in the sport.
To me it’s just agonizingly boring. It honestly didn’t break my heart that we don’t have to put up with the oh yeah I’m a huge soccer fan whenever the World Cup comes around. It’s like the people at my work who have premier league bumper stickers on their cars. They do it because they can brag about watching soccer because nobody else does. If soccer became popular in this country those people would find a new boring sport to follow.

It is a well documented story on the best player to ever play for the US. I believe his mom worked two jobs so they could afford for him to play if I remember correctly and it really did happen. You hear about this type of thing all the time in other sports, so why is it so hard to believe? Because its soccer?

Reactions: Mwilton13
It is a well documented story on the best player to ever play for the US. I believe his mom worked two jobs so they could afford for him to play if I remember correctly and it really did happen. You hear about this type of thing all the time in other sports, so why is it so hard to believe? Because its soccer?
No, just that most people don't really have an understanding of what poor really is. I'm talking no car some of the time, food from food banks, utilities paid by churches, clothing vouchers, etc, etc...not driving 150 miles to play soccer. Nice little story, but completely BS.

I think soccer players are great athletes and they can do amazing things with a soccer ball but it still doesn’t make me interested in the sport.
To me it’s just agonizingly boring. It honestly didn’t break my heart that we don’t have to put up with the oh yeah I’m a huge soccer fan whenever the World Cup comes around. It’s like the people at my work who have premier league bumper stickers on their cars. They do it because they can brag about watching soccer because nobody else does. If soccer became popular in this country those people would find a new boring sport to follow.
The sport isn't boring if you understand the game. I wouldn't move on to another sport if it became popular as I have been a soccer lifer. Plus, most fans of soccer played the sport growing up and certainly won't switch sports either, but of course there are some bandwagon fans like you have in every sport.

Reactions: ThunderCat98
No, just that most people don't really have an understanding of what poor really is. I'm talking no car some of the time, food from food banks, utilities paid by churches, clothing vouchers, etc, etc...not driving 150 miles to play soccer. Nice little story, but completely BS.
Its not bullshit and poor has many levels.

Travel soccer is ridiculous. I have a girl at the school I work at whose parents pay thousands of dollars a year for her to be on an "elite" team. Shes not that good she doesnt dominate crappy high school competition. Save the money invest it in a 529 and college is payed for. Travel soccer/baseball/basketball is a damn ponzi scheme. Now they do have their place but some of these kids on higher level teams have no reason being on travel teams except to line the pockets of coaches

Reactions: The Real SamC
Travel soccer is ridiculous. I have a girl at the school I work at whose parents pay thousands of dollars a year for her to be on an "elite" team. Shes not that good she doesnt dominate crappy high school competition. Save the money invest it in a 529 and college is payed for. Travel soccer/baseball/basketball is a damn ponzi scheme. Now they do have their place but some of these kids on higher level teams have no reason being on travel teams except to line the pockets of coaches
I agree and that is one of the main talking points about changes in the US Soccer system. Unless my kids end up being very good players that look like candidates for college scholarships or a spot in an MLS youth academy they won't play travel soccer as it is just a waste of money otherwise.

We got a soccer complex where the old Memorial Field House was located and other than the dedication don’t think they sell out. IMO should have built the baseball complex there instead but hey, that’s my opinion.

We got a soccer complex where the old Memorial Field House was located and other than the dedication don’t think they sell out. IMO should have built the baseball complex there instead but hey, that’s my opinion.

Have followed Herd soccer from a distance. Believe for about 80 per cent of the Herd women's team's games thus far they have scored either 0 or 1 goal. Nil to Nil games aren't going to pack the stands at Hoops field.

Its going to take a long time for the general public to relish a game with very little scoring and a lot of ball movement up and down the field. May thrill the "purists", like a 1-0 pitchers duel in baseball. Fans are excited by, and attracted to, scores: be they goals, touchdowns, runs, etc., etc. Look at MU basketball for example: Herd fans got tired of losing games 60-55, or 53-51, under Ron Jirsa and Tom Herrion. But don't seem to mind as much if the team loses 99-95 or 112-106 under Danny D.!!

Epic mic drop

Having played international soccer in my youth, the differences in skill and talent are night and day between the US and say...Australia.

The US had much to go on last World Cup having survived "The Group of Death" that had Portugal, Ghana, USA, and Germany I believe.
They had a real chance to ride that momentum from that World Cup.
Oh, screw Bradley, he's a no talent hack who had his daddy get him on the team. Cutting him from the USA team would be like cutting cancer from the Earth.

As for the video and rant and MU fans? Well, that kind of complaining is more for the other board because its nothing but perpetual sobbing and pessimism...mostly just wanting Doc fired and blaming him for rainy weather on Saturdays.

The difference is...the US team should have won their game. They really just needed, at worst, a tie, and they're in. Thats all. They played against a Trinidad and Tobego team who simply did not have the talent they had.
Think Appy State vs. Michigan.

So he had every right to complain...

MU fans complain like that when we don't massacre someone or we win and not score enough points...

But unlike the US team, we still win.

Excellent post. I'd rather watch a soccer match than all other pro-level sports combined. Ultimate "team" game. Unfortunately, most people in the U.S. are only exposed to soccer watching our national team, which, imho, sucks. Watch a BPL match or Bundesliga and you will see a dramatic difference.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan

I believe the need to comply with title IX was the incentive to take care of soccer first.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
I said "I believe" because I was not sure. I just thought I recall (and memory not so great these days) the discussion that we took the Soccer field for the IAF so we needed to replace it for the women's (and men's) soccer team vs building a baseball field that only benefited male student athletes. Could be totally off base or could be recalling a message board conversation that was also off base

Many in this thread would be shocked to know that soccer has already overtaken baseball in most US demographics. Popularity of it and money in the game are enourmous.

Just because you don't watch it doesn't mean others don't. Soccer is humongous and will only get bigger.

Sports like baseball will only get smaller.

It's because the ipf went where the soccer field was nothing to do with title 9
That's not entirely true - Title IX implications definitely played in the decision to build a new soccer field. (It's also the reason we have an on-campus softball stadium but nothing for baseball.) Another huge factor was the Huntington area winning the right to host the national youth soccer championships.

Its also worth noting that while the baseball situation isn't ideal, its way better than what our soccer teams used to have, which was a lumpy, busted grass lot between the practice field and sidewalk, where the out of bounds area consisted of an 12" swath between the fence and the edge of the field. In high school, I played on makeshift fields all over this beautiful state, and I would rank Marshall's old field as the worst I ever saw.

Here's the funding priority at Marshall:
1) (Men's) Football
2) Men's Basketball
3) Women's Basketball
4) (Women's) Softball
5) (Women's) Volleyball
6) Women's Soccer
7) Women's Track
8) Bathroom maintenance
9) This entry left intentionally blank
10) All other men's sports

It's always encouraging to know there are still troglodyte anti-soccer folks running around.

I still remember fondly the head football coach at John Adams in South Hills leaving the blocking sleds in the middle of the Junior High field so 8 year old kids couldn't play soccer until the parents moved them out of the way.

That's not entirely true - Title IX implications definitely played in the decision to build a new soccer field. (It's also the reason we have an on-campus softball stadium but nothing for baseball.) Another huge factor was the Huntington area winning the right to host the national youth soccer championships.

Its also worth noting that while the baseball situation isn't ideal, its way better than what our soccer teams used to have, which was a lumpy, busted grass lot between the practice field and sidewalk, where the out of bounds area consisted of an 12" swath between the fence and the edge of the field. In high school, I played on makeshift fields all over this beautiful state, and I would rank Marshall's old field as the worst I ever saw.

Here's the funding priority at Marshall:
1) (Men's) Football
2) Men's Basketball
3) Women's Basketball
4) (Women's) Softball
5) (Women's) Volleyball
6) Women's Soccer
7) Women's Track
8) Bathroom maintenance
9) This entry left intentionally blank
10) All other men's sports

So 429's confidence by far exceeds is knowledge on the matter. thanks for clarifying.

My best friend played soccer his whole life up until college. He actually had the opportunity to play college soccer but decided he didn’t want to play any more after high school but he still loved the sport and still does. The biggest thing is with him is he did not look like a soccer player he actually looked like a middle linebacker and benched a non steroid aided 425 competition bench press at 230 pounds.

So one day a bunch of us are at the fraternity house watching tv and a soccer commercial came on, which caused the room to go into an anti soccer diatribe. The typical jokes that you hear. I sat there quietly and did not join in. One of the guys said to my buddy hey what do you think about soccer and he responded with well I played soccer my whole life and I love it, and I watch it any chance I get.

So initially everyone laughs thinking he’s messing with them. When they found out he wasn’t the room got very quiet and when everyone started talking again the conversation quickly shifted from soccer. It was great!

I personally liked playing football but wasn't good at it. I was okay at baseball, but hated it. I kind of liked playing basketball, but I was atrocious at it. I liked soccer, I wasn't terrible, I had fun, plus my ass looked amazing the whole time.

Everybody has a right to like or dislike whatever they want to. As the great George Clinton once said, "To each his reach and if I can't cop it, it ain't mine to have."

Herdalicious' funding list is correct.

However the main reason for building the soccer field was not Title IX, which simply requires "equal" status. Men and women both play in a field down by the river with the 300 seats they can actually sell, well that is equal. The reason for the soccer field over baseball or something else was that the soccer field is leveraged against economic development money. The place is used all the time for all of these youth tournaments. It brings money into the area. IIRC, much of the money came out of economic development funds and not university or athletic funds.

Personally, I don't like soccer. I don't like kale either, but if our region can make some $$ in the kale industry, then I'm all for it.

Fact, the average wide midfielder in the Premier League or any high level league runs around 7 miles each game - 90 minutes plus. They are well conditioned athletes.

Labron and Kobe were big soccer players at one time.

Beside all the other issues there was not enough room for a baseball stadium. I know a field was there before but it was a terrible facility if you remember what it looked like and how it was configured.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT