ADVERTISEMENT

Nice hat Kanye

Well, Murox's post for being the dumbest of the week didn't last long. Congratulations on topping him.

I stand by my statement. Dude needed a Rascal and an oxygen tank. Maybe then he wouldn't have sounded like a cow in labor when he rapped.

It's the "dead celeb" effect. He's popular b/c he died tragically.

You have no fvcking idea what you're talking about. Biggie died in 1997. In 1995, two years before his death, he was the top selling male solo artist and rapper on the pop and R&B charts. The Grammys didn't have a rap category then, but he won the rap artist of the year in the Billboard Awards and the Source Awards gave him artist of the year, album of the year, live performer of the year, and lyricist of the year. Again, that was two years before his death.

His debut album was the sole reason why the rap power switched from the west coast - where Snoop, Dre, Cube, Tupac, etc. were kings - to the east coast overnight. He was heavily featured on some huge pop/R&B songs and had so much influence that even his childhood friends became stars in Junior Mafia.

Years before his death, he was already considered one of the two best rappers alive. Stay clueless. This isn't even something rational people debate.

Hell, I hate Eminem's music; I think his voice sounds like a cartoon character, and much of his biggest success was based on comic-book rap. Just because I personally don't like his sound doesn't mean I can't understand why and respect his place near the top of the genre.

This was Kanye on TMZ today. Batshit fvcking crazy. He claims that slavery of blacks was a choice by blacks. Keep touting his support of cheeto, morons. He fits in with the rest of the uneducated and/or mentally ill that make up the majority of cheeto's supporters:

The only real threat to the #1-2 argument with Eminem is Jay Z. He is the only one with sustained success at an extremely high level like Eminem.

LAWRENCE_WELK_2.jpg

Reactions: GreenDuke
You have no fvcking idea what you're talking about. Biggie died in 1997. In 1995, two years before his death, he was the top selling male solo artist and rapper on the pop and R&B charts. The Grammys didn't have a rap category then, but he won the rap artist of the year in the Billboard Awards and the Source Awards gave him artist of the year, album of the year, live performer of the year, and lyricist of the year. Again, that was two years before his death.

His debut album was the sole reason why the rap power switched from the west coast - where Snoop, Dre, Cube, Tupac, etc. were kings - to the east coast overnight. He was heavily featured on some huge pop/R&B songs and had so much influence that even his childhood friends became stars in Junior Mafia.

Years before his death, he was already considered one of the two best rappers alive. Stay clueless. This isn't even something rational people debate.

Hell, I hate Eminem's music; I think his voice sounds like a cartoon character, and much of his biggest success was based on comic-book rap. Just because I personally don't like his sound doesn't mean I can't understand why and respect his place near the top of the genre.

Dude dropped 1 album - 1 - in which there was nothing new, groundbreaking, or innovative. His 2nd was mostly just a bunch of collaborations, which was the cool thing to do at that time.

Hell, he's not even in the top 5 best rappers from NYC, much less top 5 all-time. He's behind Nas, Jay, Rakim, KRS-1, Slick Rick (the 1st cassette I ever bought), Q-Tip, Chuck D, Big Daddy Kane, half of Wu-Tang, the Beastie Boys, EPMD (a personal fave), Run DMC, and several others in terms of skill and influence.

How often do you break out Ready to Die and listen to it cover-to-cover? Answer: you don't, because it's a bunch of overrated hype, propelled to "greatness" b/c he tragically died before the 2nd album even dropped. I won't even ask about Life After Death because I'm not sure anyone could make it through the 1st disk, much less the whole thing in one sitting.

Dude dropped 1 album - 1 - in which there was nothing new, groundbreaking, or innovative. His 2nd was mostly just a bunch of collaborations, which was the cool thing to do at that time.

You truly have no idea what you are talking about. His second album had two discs. Each disc had twelve tracks. On the first disc, there were only four records which had another artist featured on it. If it was the "cool thing to do at that time," having only 33% of your records with a feature isn't "mostly just a bunch of collaborations." The second disc had six of the twelve records with a feature. Again, for "the cool thing to do," it wasn't a lot. Out of twenty-four records, the entire album had nine with features. What you're claiming isn't reality.

How often do you break out Ready to Die and listen to it cover-to-cover? Answer: you don't, because it's a bunch of overrated hype, propelled to "greatness" b/c he tragically died before the 2nd album even dropped.

"Ready to Die" had fifteen tracks (taking away the intro and interlude). Of those fifteen, three of them reached the Billboard top three in an era when hip hop was the fourth most popular genre behind pop, rock, and country. Today, hip hop is the top genre. If a rapper today had three singles off of one album reach the top three on Billboard, it would be a huge, very accomplished album. Yet you're claiming that it was overrated hype due to his death? His death was years after those singles had already peaked. Again, your claim makes no sense with reality.

"Juicy" is considered a rap classic." "Big Poppa" and "One More Chance" were and still are huge rap records. "Warning" and "Gimme the Loot" were street records that still see regular rotation on urban radio. Christ, if I didn't know any better, I would think that you're the worst troll in message board history with these claims.

This album went double platinum two years before his death in an era when that was far harder to do and during a period in which hip hop was far less popular, yet you're claiming the success of it was a result of his death. Do you even know what you're typing?

All of the major music media outlets have put it in their top albums of all-time lists, including Rolling Stone having it in the top 150 of their top 500 albums of all time. Stay clueless.

I won't even ask about Life After Death because I'm not sure anyone could make it through the 1st disk, much less the whole thing in one sitting

"Hypnotize," "Mo Money Mo Problems," and "Sky's the Limit" all went number one on the charts. The first two are considered classic rap records, with Rolling Stones putting "Hypnotize" in their top 50 rap records of all time. "Notorious Thugs" is still so popular that it is performed by Bone Thugz in all of their concerts. "Ten Crack Commandments" is an iconic street record.

Hell, he's not even in the top 5 best rappers from NYC, much less top 5 all-time. He's behind Nas, Jay, Rakim, KRS-1, Slick Rick (the 1st cassette I ever bought),

Wait, BC just said that Nas is only popular in NY, yet now you're claiming that he is well ahead of Biggie overall even though Biggie is in everyone's top 5 list? You West Virginia kids should stick to bluegrass.

I've met all of those guys: Nas, Jay, Rakim (who just called me two weeks ago), KRS, and Rick. I've watched every single one of them perform. I've worked on records with Nas and Jay. Every single one of them would put Biggie in their top 5, and most of that can be verified by their own words in publications (and Nas named Biggie as the best lyricist of all time). Yet you are claiming that 1) they are all ahead of Biggie and 2) that all of them are wrong about their opinion on this subject. That makes a lot of sense.

That is like insisting that Kobe is the best basketball player of all time, that Lebron isn't in the top 10, yet Kobe claiming that Lebron is one of the top two.

Q-Tip, Chuck D, Big Daddy Kane, half of Wu-Tang, the Beastie Boys, EPMD (a personal fave), Run DMC, and several others in terms of skill and influence.

I've also met about half of those guys. EPMD is also a personal favorite of mine, but this just shows how absurd your comments are. You claim that Biggie sounded like "cow in labor," yet you claim Erick Sermon is one of your favorite even though he was notorious for having a nasally, foghorn sound. Brilliant.

Rolling Stone having it in the top 150 of their top 500 albums of all time.

How many rap albums were ahead of it?

with Rolling Stones putting "Hypnotize" in their top 50 rap records of all time. "

What number?

everyone's top 5 list

"Everyone"? That's a blatant lie or exageration. He's not in mine. I'm included in "everyone." I bet I could google a list in less than 30 seconds that doesn't include him.

nasally, foghorn sound

Being nasally isn't the same as gasping for air.

How many rap albums were ahead of it?

Three- Public Enemy, Run DMC, and Kanye. Next.

What number?

Hypnotize was #30. Juicy was #8. Big Poppa was #52 in Rolling Stone's top 100 rap songs of all time.

It wasn't just ranked by one white kid from West Virginia. They had 33 voters that consisted of top rappers, top producers, major executives, and top music journalists all vote.

"Everyone"? That's a blatant lie or exageration. He's not in mine. I'm included in "everyone." I bet I could google a list in less than 30 seconds that doesn't include him.

"Everyone" referring to anyone of merit whose opinion actually holds weight. You've shown numerous times now that your opinion on this is comically bad.

Being nasally isn't the same as gasping for air.

So, you think an engineer and a producer would be cool with leaving gasps of air on a song when they record it? Christ.

"Everyone" referring to anyone of merit whose opinion actually holds weight. You've shown numerous times now that your opinion on this is comically bad.

Chuck D count?

http://www.egotripland.com/sht-rappers-tweet-chuck-ds-top-10-greatest-rappers-list/

Hypnotize was #30. Juicy was #8. Big Poppa was #52 in Rolling Stone's top 100 rap songs of all time.

That's the list you used and he doesn't crack the top 5? Nice.

Oh, noticed you ignored the Nas thing.

Jesus Christ, this is one of the worst claims on any topic on this board.

Kanye is a below average rapper and a well above average producer. In terms of a rapper who also produces, he is one of the best, but that is almost entirely based on his production and not his rapping. Best hip hop artist of all time? That meth problem is getting really bad in Huntington, huh?

There is a reason why so many of his closest friends and peers have abandoned him over the years. The guy has/had severe mental issues.

Well, in your top 100 rap songs of all time list, Kanye has 3 songs. More than 2Pac, more than Biggie . . . and I love both 2Pac and Biggie. Every Kanye album is fire. I also have Lupe in my top 5.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/music/2016/02/09/kanye-west-new-album/79814890/

He claims that slavery of blacks was a choice by blacks. He fits in with the rest of the uneducated

The only "uneducated" appear to be the ones ignoring the context of his "choice" comment and agreeing with you.

When you watch the full comments, its obvious he is denouncing the idea that the (liberal) black community still believes they are "enslaved". Yes...to believe such a concept, is indeed a "choice".

Chuck D count?

Yes, he does. After his tweet of his rankings, he tweeted 26 more times about it. His very first tweet read:
"1. Got in a big debate because BIG wasn’t in my top 10 I reiterated like c’mon what you think I’m 35? I’m giving the full 1979-2012 overview."

He knew the exclusion would be a big deal because of how absurd it is. He is almost 60, so he puts people like Melle Mel in the list, which you'll be hard-pressed to find duplicated. It's an old person's way of paying homage to the originators, much like an 80 year old guy will try to argue that Pistol Pete would be better than Lebron today. It's ridiculous, but the old-timers want to pay respect to the people of their time.

That's the list you used and he doesn't crack the top 5? Nice.

Jesus Christ, the stupidity reigns supreme with you. That list isn't the top 5 rappers of all time. It is a list of the top rap songs of all time. Those are two totally different things. Nobody is arguing that the Furious Five are the five best rappers of all time simply because their song is ranked #1.

Oh, noticed you ignored the Nas thing.

Yes, because I feel like I am arguing with Johns in the MWC thread. After so many of your arguments blow up, you try to cling onto one gleaming hope that has nothing to do with the absurdity of your argument as some sort of victory. My point was that two people - you and Murox - both say absurd things that aren't supported by anyone.

Well, in your top 100 rap songs of all time list, Kanye has 3 songs. More than 2Pac, more than Biggie . . . and I love both 2Pac and Biggie. Every Kanye album is fire. I also have Lupe in my top 5.

Is this Banker? How hard is it to count to three? Hell, I even listed each of the songs Biggie has in the list, yet you still claim that he doesn't have three.

Biggie has three of his own records in the list (contrary to what you claim) which have no other features; none of which are a collaboration. He also has a fourth in which he is featured. In comparison, Kanye has only one of his own records on the list without major help, a second in which FOUR other artists are featured, and a third in which he collaborates with Jay on.

That's the thing with Kanye. He isn't an artist. He can't carry a record on his own. He needs help, and he knows that, which is why he has so many features on his records. Hell, check out the credits on his song. It is very common for him to have 10 or more writers on each of his records because he isn't an artist.

Show me the respected artists, execs, or journalists who claim Kanye is the best hip-hop artist of all time. Hell, find me a few who even put him in a top 5 list. Producer? Sure. Artist? Not even debatable.

But, your inability to count to three isn't the biggest issue. The biggest issue is trying to take proof of me showing Thunders that Biggie's albums were full of classic records (he was claiming the albums were boring and bad) and using that as some sort of validity that it means somebody being on the list is the best hip hop artist of all time. Like I said earlier, Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five have the top ranked record. Does that mean they are the best hip hop artists or even group of all time? Of course not.

The only "uneducated" appear to be the ones ignoring the context of his "choice" comment and agreeing with you.

When you watch the full comments, its obvious he is denouncing the idea that the (liberal) black community still believes they are "enslaved". Yes...to believe such a concept, is indeed a "choice".

Oh, I completely understand what he was trying to say. It is just despicably wrong.

Racism is alive and well in this country. The president has only fanned those flames by giving hate groups and racists confidence to be open about it in society. His comments about the white supremacists in Charlottesville is just one example.

Kanye's money overcomes a lot of racism he may face. Money can conquer a lot and give you acceptance. But even with that success, in many circles, he's still a "n*****." Jay Z explained that perfectly in this video:

The uproar about his comment is that he just doesn't get reality. He gets certain privileges due to his fame and money. That isn't reality for most blacks. They still face a far higher amount of racism and "slavery" than he faces. You can have a mindset all you want about refusing to not play the victim and not letting it distract you from success. That's fine, but in the end, you still have more hurdles to face due to institutional racism and personal bigotry.

If you disagree with any of that, answer this honestly: today, would you rather be a white child growing up or a black child. Exactly.

Oh, I completely understand what he was trying to say. It is just despicably wrong.

Racism is alive and well in this country. The president has only fanned those flames by giving hate groups and racists confidence to be open about it in society. His comments about the white supremacists in Charlottesville is just one example.

Kanye's money overcomes a lot of racism he may face. Money can conquer a lot and give you acceptance. But even with that success, in many circles, he's still a "n*****." Jay Z explained that perfectly in this video:

The uproar about his comment is that he just doesn't get reality. He gets certain privileges due to his fame and money. That isn't reality for most blacks. They still face a far higher amount of racism and "slavery" than he faces. You can have a mindset all you want about refusing to not play the victim and not letting it distract you from success. That's fine, but in the end, you still have more hurdles to face due to institutional racism and personal bigotry.

Actually I appreciate this video. Jay Z is pointing to his race and telling them to stop being a "Nig....

He is trying to tell them to break free from the vices that keep them broke and in the hood. "I'm trying to sell you a million$$ worth of game for $9.99"
He's not blaming white people the way race baiters usually do. He's encouraging them to do what white people and successful blacks (like himself) have done to not be "slaves".

There will always be varying degrees of racism in any society. That will never change. Mindset is the only way to move beyond it. But "slavery" is dead.....(unless you cross Maxine Waters or the other race industry leaders that depend on it "existing" for their votes and power.)

There will always be varying degrees of racism in any society. That will never change. Mindset is the only way to move beyond it. But "slavery" is dead.....(unless you cross Maxine Waters or the other race industry leaders that depend on it "existing" for their votes and power.)

The mindset of the victim does not eliminate institutional racism and personal bigotry.

given the kardashian family history of ruining men, i was about to ask how ray j escaped their insanity but i see where he's now making threats against kanye. that family has been more destructive to black men than sickle cell anemia

Reactions: 19MU88
The mindset of the victim does not eliminate institutional racism and personal bigotry.

One ultimately chooses to be a "victim". "Choice" is the only way to move beyond it--refusing to let someone else's bigotry define you. Its the only way an individual (of any color) can accomplish anything.

One ultimately chooses to be a "victim". "Choice" is the only way to move beyond it--refusing to let someone else's bigotry define you. Its the only way an individual (of any color) can accomplish anything.

This week has been full of dumbest post of the week nominees.

Remember to tell your daughters that they chose to be victims in their hypothetical rape. Nobody chooses to be a victim of racism. It isn't an end-all, be-all conclusion of a person's life; they can still succeed beyond it. But it is a very real, very impacting part of a person's life that definitely affects it.

This week has been full of dumbest post of the week nominees.

Remember to tell your daughters that they chose to be victims in their hypothetical rape. Nobody chooses to be a victim of racism. It isn't an end-all, be-all conclusion of a person's life; they can still succeed beyond it. But it is a very real, very impacting part of a person's life that definitely affects it.
There is very much a real choice in being the victim sometimes. Leaning on the racism crutch
for everything. It is like a self fulfilling prophecy. There are those whites from poor areas from Appalachia that do the same thing. You can never do that and get out or you can never get a good job or education. Hell, Randy Moss talks about and there is where Rand University comes from.

Very common in WV.

A little common sense. That is all I am asking from you. Is that too much to ask?

Biggie died when he was barely 25. Kanye didn't even drop his first album until he was 27. Had Kanye died at the same age as Biggie, you wouldn't have any idea who Kanye was.

Jay Bruce is a better baseball player than Roberto Clemente. How did I reach this absurd conclusion? Well, Bruce has a lot more home runs than Clemente did. Forget the fact that Bruce played in an era where home runs were a lot easier and more prevalent (just like rap charted records are far more frequent now than in Biggie's day). Forget that Clemente died in the middle of his career much like Biggie did. Forget that Clemente could carry a team on his own, much like Biggie could carry a record on his own without a ton of features and writers added to it. Bruce had more home runs, so that clearly means he was the better baseball player.

Overwhelmingly, any expert on this (other artists, execs, producers, journalists) select Biggie ahead of Kanye by a wide margin in terms of rapping.

That wonderful debut album Big dropped? Peaked at 15.

Didn't have a no. 1 record until after he died, proving people only hype him b/c he got shot.

6 of Kanye's 8 have went to no. 1. The other 2? 2 and 6.

That wonderful debut album Big dropped? Peaked at 15.

In a time when going #1 in rap was almost unheard of. Going #1 in rap on a debut album (debuts mean most people don't have a clue who you are yet, especially in a genre that wasn't in the top 3)? Not a chance.

In fact, before Biggie's debut album, there were only a handful of rap albums that went #1, most of them being white rappers that could be marketed to the audience that bought albums: whites. It included Beastie Boys and Vanilla Ice. Rap just wasn't very popular in that time. Hip hop now is the most popular and best selling genre. Back then, it was fourth at best.

To put it in perspective: before Biggie's debut, there were only a handful of rap albums that ever went #1. Since Biggie's debut, there have been about 150 rap albums to reach #1.

Didn't have a no. 1 record until after he died,

That's false. You're mentally unprepared to have this discussion. Hell, you don't even know the difference between an album and a record. You continue fleeing your previous arguments after they are shot down as being invalid, and instead of retreating, you fabricate some more bullshit in an attempt.

proving people only hype him b/c he got shot.

I already proved that to be entirely false. He had three #1 records years before he was killed. Was all of that hype due to the ability of so many consumers to foresee his murder?

You're severely outclassed in this discussion both in knowledge and in the arsenal you have to argue with.

Rap music can thank Aerosmith for making RUN DMC popular and main stream. They can also thank Queen for making Vanilla Ice popular and making white people like rap. Rock made these popular and main stream. Made white people like it.

Screw rap. Let's have some rock and roll

My bad. Didn't have a no. 1 album until after he died.

Which shows how stupid your argument is. He only had one album, technically, before he died. His second one wasn't released until about ten days after his death. His debut - an album at the very start of an artist's career when their brand isn't big - was in a time when rap was not a major genre.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT