ADVERTISEMENT

No Way This Is Real Life

Some on here are apparently very ignorant of how college football schedules are put together.
I'll bet this season's UCF schedule was made before Scott Frost ever set foot in Orlando.

So a few years age when they made this schedule, they had some delusion that FIU was actually going to be good? They thought Maine was going to move up to I-A? Then they replaced Maine with Austin Peay State?

UCF plays in a very low level conference. They, like MU in 14, scheduled down. And the laughable idea that winning in the weak AAC with a non-conference of nothings is a "national championship" is the result.

Why do you guys think that MU played Concord in basketball this season?

To get an easy victory so as to pad the record.

Just ask Mike Hamrick about now many times he has tried to get a game with the Kentucky "Mildcats"

Marshall has been after a football game with the WILDCATS for long before MH got here. A home game with UK fills the stadium, is on real TV, and brings prestige. Even if we have to go 2 or 3 for 1. But even a "money game" in Lexington with no return is a big deal. For MU.

For UK, it make no sense whatsoever. Understand that UK is flush with cash, due to the SEC TV deals, basketball, donors, and a huge local TV, radio, and display ad contract it just signed. The 10 to 15K empty seats at Commonwealth Stadium (AKA Kroger Field) are not really that big a deal, although MU probably could fill them, at least once. The priority for UK football is a single number. SIX. UK wants to go to a bowl, and it needs to find six, preferably seven, wins to do that. So UK has to play in the Greatest Conference In The History Of The World. Eight games. That is going to include a lot of virtually certain losses. So it has four games to work with. The state makes it play Louisville, which, as long as the NCAA allows UL's openly corrupt program to cheat without consequences, is going to be good. That leaves 3 games. They can play one I-AA, and will. Usually one of the in-state schools. Why not? So that leaves 2 games. Two games UK pretty much MUST win, every year. Why would they want to play MU, who might just beat them, when they can play a MACer or a lower CUSA team with no real shot. And one which will charge less money than we would. Fact is we are too good and too expensive to get a sniff from UK.

If you ever hear Aresco speak, he tries real hard to not refer to the AAC as a G5 conference but a "P6 conderence."

This is exactly why someone like UCF will be passed over for someone else.

Ucf is taking their 15 mins of fame and instead of making it a good story to talk about in the offseason, is making themselves look real desperate.

When I hear Arseco speak, I just remember the 40 totally contradictory ideas he spewed during the "great realignment" of which exactly zero came true. They were going to do this, no going to do that, whatever. In the end, everybody with a choice GTFO of that fanless deal, and every team there wants TFO right now. Without exception. You can only say fundamentally stupid stuff and outright lies so oftern before no thinking person takes you seriously.

And that is what every member of THE AMERICAN!!!!!!! looks. Desperate. Because they are. They all want out, and out before the TV contract runs out. Because playing fan-free football is just not a winning proposition on $$ terms, and the one good year does little to change the fan free nature.

My question is...

What will the new TV deals look like? AAC is apparently up next.
Numbers? Obviously they likely won't get as low as CUSA did...but I don't think they'll get the same amount as they have before.

If the Herd was in the AAC, wouldn't you like him to thumb his nose at the other G5? Everyone wants to be better than they are. I agree the AAC has delusions of grandeur, but I also feel like our fans would be ok with acting like that if we were including in the thumbing...

Sort of...

I say this because fans are more about MU than the conference itself.

We can all agree, the MAC was the Marshall Athletic Conference. Our dominance gave us the ability to thumb our noses at the conference until it caught up.
I think when against pretty much everyone else, MU fans were humble.

I imagine back then, when MU fans talked Big East, it was a more realistic deal than it would be now.

Basically, yes, I could see MU doing somewhat the same thing and we probably did back in the 90's, but the landscape has changed and now, trying to do this, nets you an annoyed look from the P5.

If the Herd was in the AAC, wouldn't you like him to thumb his nose at the other G5? Everyone wants to be better than they are. I agree the AAC has delusions of grandeur, but I also feel like our fans would be ok with acting like that if we were including in the thumbing...

One more thing...the G5 doesn't really have a pure stand out school. Sure, Boise and ucf, Houston, and former TCU and Utah...but there is such a diversity of schools (even when Houston, if they hadn't lost to USM, would have gotten the BCS bowl) that no conference is really above the other. There are also more deserving programs of possible P6 inclusion, who aren't acting like jackasses.

So a few years age when they made this schedule, they had some delusion that FIU was actually going to be good? They thought Maine was going to move up to I-A? Then they replaced Maine with Austin Peay State?

UCF plays in a very low level conference. They, like MU in 14, scheduled down. And the laughable idea that winning in the weak AAC with a non-conference of nothings is a "national championship" is the result.

To get an easy victory so as to pad the record.

Marshall has been after a football game with the WILDCATS for long before MH got here. A home game with UK fills the stadium, is on real TV, and brings prestige. Even if we have to go 2 or 3 for 1. But even a "money game" in Lexington with no return is a big deal. For MU.

For UK, it make no sense whatsoever. Understand that UK is flush with cash, due to the SEC TV deals, basketball, donors, and a huge local TV, radio, and display ad contract it just signed. The 10 to 15K empty seats at Commonwealth Stadium (AKA Kroger Field) are not really that big a deal, although MU probably could fill them, at least once. The priority for UK football is a single number. SIX. UK wants to go to a bowl, and it needs to find six, preferably seven, wins to do that. So UK has to play in the Greatest Conference In The History Of The World. Eight games. That is going to include a lot of virtually certain losses. So it has four games to work with. The state makes it play Louisville, which, as long as the NCAA allows UL's openly corrupt program to cheat without consequences, is going to be good. That leaves 3 games. They can play one I-AA, and will. Usually one of the in-state schools. Why not? So that leaves 2 games. Two games UK pretty much MUST win, every year. Why would they want to play MU, who might just beat them, when they can play a MACer or a lower CUSA team with no real shot. And one which will charge less money than we would. Fact is we are too good and too expensive to get a sniff from UK.

When I hear Arseco speak, I just remember the 40 totally contradictory ideas he spewed during the "great realignment" of which exactly zero came true. They were going to do this, no going to do that, whatever. In the end, everybody with a choice GTFO of that fanless deal, and every team there wants TFO right now. Without exception. You can only say fundamentally stupid stuff and outright lies so oftern before no thinking person takes you seriously.

And that is what every member of THE AMERICAN!!!!!!! looks. Desperate. Because they are. They all want out, and out before the TV contract runs out. Because playing fan-free football is just not a winning proposition on $$ terms, and the one good year does little to change the fan free nature.

I do think the AAC is a house of cards. Aresco was about to have a damn stroke when the Big 12 announced open spots for the conference, because pretty much everyone worth a damn, from the AAC signed up.
It proved that they don't seem to want to believe the P6 myth...which would force Aresco to find someone to fill in, and it would diminish the brand and marketability of the conference.
However, since nobody got in, they all sorta smiled and high fived Aresco, hoping he forgot ucf basically told him to "piss off, we are better than everyone here" and simply said, "So...'P6', huh? Tell us more."

My question is...

What will the new TV deals look like? AAC is apparently up next.
Numbers? Obviously they likely won't get as low as CUSA did...but I don't think they'll get the same amount as they have before.

Oh, no question. Excepting ECU, which is the total outlier in that league in every way, the key similarities of those schools is:

- They are IN, but not SIGNIFICANT IN, a big city. Not the most popular program in their own TV market, city, region, or, in most cases, campus.

- The student body, and thus the alumni base, is self-selected from among those for which sports are not that big a deal.

- The school's use student fees and/or taxpayer $$ to fund sports.

- The reason the school has sports in the first place is unusual. Either because they are just HUGE and a school that big should have sports (directional Floridas, Temple) , they have just always had sports and want to keep the flame going from another era (UC, UH, UM) or they are for richy riches and the student's rich daddies pay for it (Tulane, Tulsa). Nobody, save maybe UConn, seems to have sports because, well, they like sports.

- They totally 100% spend every waking moment of every day hoping and praying to GTFO of the conference.

And, there you go. We all know how the TV business is changing, and why pay a lot of $$ for this when, with plenty of ACC and SEC inventory already paid for (and FAR more popular) just carry more games from those leagues?

Sort of...

I say this because fans are more about MU than the conference itself.

We can all agree, the MAC was the Marshall Athletic Conference. Our dominance gave us the ability to thumb our noses at the conference until it caught up.
I think when against pretty much everyone else, MU fans were humble.

I imagine back then, when MU fans talked Big East, it was a more realistic deal than it would be now.

Basically, yes, I could see MU doing somewhat the same thing and we probably did back in the 90's, but the landscape has changed and now, trying to do this, nets you an annoyed look from the P5.

And jumping ship as soon as something ‘better’ is available is exactly what the Herd would do now in a heartbeat. Every school goes into panic mode as soon as there is any kind of realignment. I can’t ****ing stand the Big 10 for what they did to college football. Ironically the Big 10 is a joke

Reactions: Shark19
I don't think the Big 10 is a "joke", but as more and more people, even with the current economic boom, leave the Rust Belt for the south and southwest, it will never be what it once was.

But if you do not like the last realignment, the blame falls squarely on one entity. The University of Texas at Austin. Texas, in partnership with ESPN, set out to create a separate unequal TV revenue deal of it, Oklahoma and the fewest number of cupcake field fillers it could find. It was going to get unlimited money, pick up automatic wins, and settle the deal between it and OU every year, or at least 9 years out of 10. Every school with a choice told Texas to get f***ed, and Texas filled the cupcake box with some randos. (Of course, this really did not turn out the way Texas and ESPN's empty suit management wanted, mostly because Texas hired the idiot Charlie Strong, and ESPN discovered that people really had no interest in the worthless fair that is the Longhorn Network (Texas non-revenue sports, reruns, and a couple of FB and BB games versus nobodies) but that is a story for another day.

This arrogant act by Texas and ESPN is what set off the "great realignment". And ironically when the deals all expire, it will be ESPN trying to undo this mistake that will set off the next.

I don't think the Big 10 is a "joke", but as more and more people, even with the current economic boom, leave the Rust Belt for the south and southwest, it will never be what it once was.

The Big 10 was pretty damn good this year. Perhaps the best conference in the country from top to bottom.

Seven teams finished inside the Sagarin Top 25, which is more than any other conference in America.

Penn State and Ohio State are recruiting as well as anyone and will be permanent fixtures in the top 10 for the foreseeable future.

Wisconsin does more with less than just about anybody.

They have some of the hottest young coaches in the country in Scott Frost, P.J. Fleck and Jeff Brohm - all making huge salaries.

They also have the best conference television contract by a large margin. Reports are each member of the Big 10 will get a $51 million dollar payout this year.

If anything, the Big 10 is stronger and more powerful than it has ever been.

They had ZERO wins against the top 25 out of conference play this year. ZERO. Bowl games excluded because imo that’s always extra factors.

Teams that finished the season inside the top 25 or were inside the top 25 when they played?

Regardless, each B10 school plays nine conference games. Leaves one less OOC slot.

Also, about the bowl comment...

What extra factors were in play when Ohio State raped USC?

What about Wisconsin winning on Miami's home field?

What about Penn State flying across the country and beating Washington?

I guess Sparty beating Wazzu was just a fluke because of random factors?

Reactions: All4TheHerd
Teams that finished the season inside the top 25 or were inside the top 25 when they played?

Regardless, each B10 school plays nine conference games. Leaves one less OOC slot.

Also, about the bowl comment...

What extra factors were in play when Ohio State raped USC?

What about Wisconsin winning on Miami's home field?

What about Penn State flying across the country and beating Washington?

I guess Sparty beating Wazzu was just a fluke because of random factors?

The big tens best win out of conference was Iowa state. Look it up

And as far as bowl factors there are always a lot- guys that don’t play that are declaring for the draft (which is stupid), injuries, but most of all some teams simply have less motivation. Do you really think UCF beats auburn if it’s for a bid to go to the playoffs? Maybe, maybe not. Is every bowl game involving a team that has less motivation- probably not. But a lot are. I don’t put as much stock in bowls that I do the regular season. That’s like the NIT champion saying they are the best team in the NIt- are they really? Or did they just play with the most motivation. Most years the 1 seeds in the NIT don’t do well.

The point is the big ten’s resume was crap out of conference, highlighted by Ohio states blowout loss at home to Oklahoma, and most teams scheduling pansies out of conference.

The big ten might have one less game, but they should at least schedule one decent team. Ohio State does it, ironically keeping them out of the playoff

The big ten might have one less game, but they should at least schedule one decent team. Ohio State does it, ironically keeping them out of the playoff
They do schedule decent teams.

Michigan beat Florida.

Sparty played ND.

Purdue played Louisville.

Nebraska played Oregon (scheduled when they werea power).

OSU played OU.

They're also the only conference with a no FCS mandate.

Fine. But to make the jump from "crap our of conference scheduling" to "joke of a conference" is a tab much, don't ya think?

Fair enough.. obviously not crap. I think what makes me emotional about it is the same conference who ruined the landscape of college football is the one who didn’t have one quality out of conference win this year. The irony of ‘money talks’ at its finest..

They do schedule decent teams.

Michigan beat Florida.

Sparty played ND.

Purdue played Louisville.

Nebraska played Oregon (scheduled when they werea power).

OSU played OU.

They're also the only conference with a no FCS mandate.

But Wisconsin and Penn State didn’t- the teams that were supposed to be the talking points for Ohio states resume...

Fair enough.. obviously not crap. I think what makes me emotional about it is the same conference who ruined the landscape of college football is the one who didn’t have one quality out of conference win this year. The irony of ‘money talks’ at its finest..

Well, that's true. Nebraska was the first big domino.

Reactions: PullmanFinger
The Big 10 was pretty damn good this year. Perhaps the best conference in the country from top to bottom.

Seven teams finished inside the Sagarin Top 25, which is more than any other conference in America.

Penn State and Ohio State are recruiting as well as anyone and will be permanent fixtures in the top 10 for the foreseeable future.

Wisconsin does more with less than just about anybody.

They have some of the hottest young coaches in the country in Scott Frost, P.J. Fleck and Jeff Brohm - all making huge salaries.

They also have the best conference television contract by a large margin. Reports are each member of the Big 10 will get a $51 million dollar payout this year.

If anything, the Big 10 is stronger and more powerful than it has ever been.
I agree 100%. I would add that cities like Columbus are booming! I am in Columbus for work periodically and they are building and adding jobs as far as the eye can see. The idea that states like Ohio are a thing of the past is wrong.

And jumping ship as soon as something ‘better’ is available is exactly what the Herd would do now in a heartbeat. Every school goes into panic mode as soon as there is any kind of realignment. I can’t ****ing stand the Big 10 for what they did to college football. Ironically the Big 10 is a joke

Pullman....finally agreed with one of your posts....word for word.

HerdZilla22 in Charlotte

What exactly did the Big 10 do? The Big 12...well...actually the ACC began conference realignment by plucking VT, BC, FSU, and Miami from the Big East.
Big 12 and the Longhorn Network tried to monopolize the money from everyone not named Texas.
The Big 10 basically added to their prestige by gaining AAU schools (minus Nebraska).

I'm not saying MU shouldn't jump to a better conference...or that they are bad for doing so. I never said that at all. I'm saying I doubt MU would go at the lengths that ucf is going to make themselves known. Instead of doing what they are doing, why not just celebrate the bowl win, and then just win?

Pullman, uninformed as usual.

Scoffing at the B1G OOC, while his own team scheduled the likes of Va Tech, Delaware State, and East Carolina, and lost to the Hokies.

What exactly did the Big 10 do? The Big 12...well...actually the ACC began conference realignment by plucking VT, BC, FSU, and Miami from the Big East.
Big 12 and the Longhorn Network tried to monopolize the money from everyone not named Texas.
The Big 10 basically added to their prestige by gaining AAU schools (minus Nebraska).

I'm not saying MU shouldn't jump to a better conference...or that they are bad for doing so. I never said that at all. I'm saying I doubt MU would go at the lengths that ucf is going to make themselves known. Instead of doing what they are doing, why not just celebrate the bowl win, and then just win?

Actually the Big 10 started with Penn state if you want to get technical.

And besides, plucking the big east didn’t destroy the CFB landscape. Imploding the Big 12 did. Now it’s all about money- see Maryland/Nebraska

Pullman, uninformed as usual.

Scoffing at the B1G OOC, while his own team scheduled the likes of Va Tech, Delaware State, and East Carolina, and lost to the Hokies.

Dreh take your ignorance somewhere else. Your endless cycle of the same insult is almost as old as you are...

And besides, plucking the big east didn’t destroy the CFB landscape. Imploding the Big 12 did. Now it’s all about money- see Maryland/Nebraska

Actually, money motivated everything and it showed conferences and schools the benefits of moving...unless you're Nebraska.

Pullman, stop calling folks ignorant. Do your research prior to spouting off rude comments. I can list a bunch of B1G teams that played a more difficult OCC than your team, which played Va Tech, Delaware State, and East Carolina, and you lost to the Hokies.

But...

He isn't wrong, is he?

Dreh thinks I’m on here to promote WVU. WVU schedule is annually tougher out of conference than most big 10 schools. WVU has nothing to do with the point of this conversation, which is the Big 10, Marshall, college football in regards to affiliation, and money. So yes, he’s wrong on ALL accounts of his point in commenting.

Any other question

Pullman, stop calling folks ignorant. Do your research prior to spouting off rude comments. I can list a bunch of B1G teams that played a more difficult OCC than your team, which played Va Tech, Delaware State, and East Carolina, and you lost to the Hokies.

Dreh this is literally the last time I’m going to respond to your dumbass. You literally post nothing of relevance to the discussion, rather try to insult me or WVU or whoever else your senile ass thinks isn’t agreeing with your agenda at the time. Medicare is going up this year, you have bigger problems than trying to troll me. Bye Felicia

Penn State was an independent.

Ok my mistake.. thought they were first to break from conference.

Well that being said- JoePa was selfish in the 80s just like he was in other ways...
You know Texas leaving the SWC started most of this. The SWC folded in 1995 when Texas, Baylor, Texas A&M and Texas Tech left for the Big 8 or 12 as it would be renamed. The Big East formed the football division around 1991. Prior to that it had been a basketball conference as it now is.

Reactions: PullmanFinger
Dreh thinks I’m on here to promote WVU. WVU schedule is annually tougher out of conference than most big 10 schools.
That's simply factually incorrect.

WVU OOC for the last six years:

2012 - Marshall, Norfolk State, Maryland
2013 - William & Mary, Georgia State, Maryland
2014 - Alabama, Towson State, Maryland
2015 - Georgia Southern, Liberty, Maryland
2016 - Missouri, Youngstown State, BYU
2017 - Va Tech, East Carolina, Delaware State

For starters, you play an FCS team each year, and in most years, a G5 program. Of the P5 teams on the schedule, Alabama in 2014, along with Va Tech in 2017 were the only legit teams that actually fielded a decent team. You lost to both.

On the other hand, let's review Michigans OOC for the last six years:

2012 - Alabama, Air Force, UMass, Notre Dame
2013 - CMU, Notre Dame, Akron
2014 - Appalachian, Notre Dame, Miami OH
2015 - Utah, Oregon State, UNLV
2016 - Hawaii, UCF, Colorado
2017 - Florida, Cincinnati, Air Force

Missing from UM's schedule, an anual game against an FCS squad.

That's simply factually incorrect.

WVU OOC for the last six years:

2012 - Marshall, Norfolk State, Maryland
2013 - William & Mary, Georgia State, Maryland
2014 - Alabama, Towson State, Maryland
2015 - Georgia Southern, Liberty, Maryland
2016 - Missouri, Youngstown State, BYU
2017 - Va Tech, East Carolina, Delaware State

For starters, you play an FCS team each year, and in most years, a G5 program. Of the P5 teams on the schedule, Alabama in 2014, along with Va Tech in 2017 were the only legit teams that actually fielded a decent team. You lost to both.

On the other hand, let's review Michigans OOC for the last six years:

2012 - Alabama, Air Force, UMass, Notre Dame
2013 - CMU, Notre Dame, Akron
2014 - Appalachian, Notre Dame, Miami OH
2015 - Utah, Oregon State, UNLV
2016 - Hawaii, UCF, Colorado
2017 - Florida, Cincinnati, Air Force

Missing from UM's schedule, an anual game against an FCS squad.

Alabama, Missouri, Maryland, Virginia tech, BYU.. upcoming: NC state, Florida State, Tennessee, Pitt...

Not that it matters because it’s not the point of the conversation- but go look at most Big Ten schools and see how they compare to those non conference games.

By the way- Notre Dame was terrible for two decades, and playing Norfolk State is not much worse than the bottom of the MAC- so who cares.

Back to the topic...

You know Texas leaving the SWC started most of this. The SWC folded in 1995 when Texas, Baylor, Texas A&M and Texas Tech left for the Big 8 or 12 as it would be renamed. The Big East formed the football division around 1991. Prior to that it had been a basketball conference as it now is.

Well i still hold to the fact Jim Delaney was the biggest culprit in this whole mess.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT