ADVERTISEMENT

Notre Dame (future opponent)

CarolinaHerdzilla

Gold Buffalo
Sep 1, 2008
I read recently about OOC opponents that would be on one's Dream List. Notre Dame was mentioned. How many of you have ever been to South Bend? I was in Indianapolis during the recent Final Four. I decided to drive to Notre Dame ( 2 hrs 15 minutes) to check out the historical school. It is very pretty, even with all the construction. The folks on campus (especially at their impressive book store) are very friendly. All the buildings look the same (ie Va Tech). The athletic facilities are top class. Touchdown Jesus is impressive, seen from the football stadium.

HOWEVER, South Bend is very dirty, run down, empty buildings (did I say DIRTY), old, Old OLD. I was shocked! I did not see one hotel I would spend my $$$$ to stay....can we say Bed Bug City? Huntington is NY City in looks and charm compared to South Bend.

I don't think Huntington gets her credit for her beauty, nestled on the banks of the Ohio River. I love coming to Huntington to cheer on The Herd. Huntington is a "feel good city" to me. I love a lazy day in Ritter Park or a walk from campus to downtown. Huntington is beautiful during all four seasons. I enjoy Spring the most.

I have been to many college towns following The Herd. Huntington offers a lot to visiting teams and their fans. A Salute to Huntington!

HerdZilla22 (Sweeney) in Charlotte

I went to a game there a few years ago and that stadium is an absolute dump. The seats were a piece of wood about as wide as a 2x4. Uncomfortably cramped together, and the restrooms were worse than the ones at the Joan.

I've been to a couple games there. Everything that has been said is correct. The aura of Notre Dame is the only positive thing there.

UND is a nice gated private school. Academically, it ain't Harvard. It ain't even Boston College or Georgetown. It is very pretty and any rich kid would have lots of reasons to pick it.

South Bend is just another rust belt helltown.

Was in South Bend last week watching my daughter play in the NCAA Women's Division I Golf Regionals. I don't know where you all stayed or looked, but our Hotel (Hyatt Place) was great. The restaurants were great and the golf course (Warren Golf Course - a Crenshaw/Coore design) was awesome. I have never been a Notre Dame fan, but feeling the great ambience of that place (the school and town) has turned me into a Fighting Irish fan. As an aside, the Notre Dame Women's Golf Assistant Coach is a West Virginia (Clarksburg) girl. Met her and she is as sweet as she can be. Unfortunately my daughter's golf team, Troy University, didn't qualify for the NCAA finals, but they were an automatic qualifier into the regionals on the strength of winning the Sunbelt Championship. As you can tell, I had a great time in South Bend...

I was in South Bend on a stop over on my way to Chicago, the campus is beautiful and nice but that's pretty much it. Also it seemed like there isn't much of a night life or anything else in the town but some colleges

I've been to countless games at ND, thanks to freebie tickets whenever I want to use them. As with most old Midwest towns, South Bend is run down. The campus area itself is marvelous though, and there are decent areas within the town. Unfortunately, there's also areas within the town that are run down so bad, I wouldn't consider walking around at night. That's common in most places though. Mishawaka is basically a twin 'small city' to the East of South Bend. That's where most of the nice restaurants, shopping, and hotels are located. In addition, St. Joe, Michigan is only a 35 minute drive North of South Bend (Route 31), and that's an ideal place to stay during a Notre Dame football weekend, and it's on Lake Michigan with lots of stuff to do. Just don't cross the bridge into Benton Harbor (Benton Harlem as the locals call it) after dark.

I drive to/from South Bend on game days (since I'm less than an hour and a half from there), but I have looked into hotels before on game day weekends. It's almost impossible to find a place unless you book well in advance, and the prices are simply way, way high during home game weekends.

Huntington is beautiful during all four seasons. I enjoy Spring the most.

You posted that same thing on your farmersonly profile.

UND is a nice gated private school. Academically, it ain't Harvard. It ain't even Boston College or Georgetown.

Is there any topic your personal bias doesn't cloud your judgment on and make it incorrect?

ND is far, far ahead of Boston College academically, both with undergrad and grad programs. It isn't much of a comparison.

Georgetown has a better law and business program, but overall, ND is very comparable to it.

I'd rather you explain how Boston College is a better academic institution than Notre Dame.

I do find it odd that you, with your history of "shut the fvck up" comments to anyone who calls you out on your misinformation, is now resorting to prayer.

So, BC over ND? Let's hear it.

Guys with Notre Dame having the agreement with the ACC now it would be very difficult for Marshall to ever have the chance to play them the way Notre Dame schedules.
Notre Dame yearly schedule is usually:
5 ACC schools (contracted to play this every year)
Navy (will play every year)
USC (will play USC + Stanford every year to guarantee 1 yearly game in California for recruiting)
Stanford (above)
Usually plays Purdue
Also usually plays Michigan State (some years will play both Purdue and MSU some years in the future only one)
Then usually plays one more big ticket game against marquee team (Oklahoma past few years, Texas next few years, Vs. Georgia, Ohio State, Texas A&M all in the future)
That leaves realistically only one open game that they usually look to fill. Past opponents and future opponents like Rice, UMass, Temple, Army, Neveda, Ball State)

It would be great to see Marshall and Notre Dame play sometime. Notre Dame's schedule is just very tight to have many chances to play Marshall. Maybe one of these years Marshall can try to get that 12th game on their schedule but I'm just letting you know how Notre Dame's scheduling typically works as there is not many open spots usually.

I'd rather you explain how Boston College is a better academic institution than Notre Dame.

I do find it odd that you, with your history of "shut the fvck up" comments to anyone who calls you out on your misinformation, is now resorting to prayer.

So, BC over ND? Let's hear it.
I agree.

BC is a great school, don't get me wrong, but to say it's better than Notre Dame?!
Where do you even start?

Georgetown probably has an edge over Notre Dame however. That's it.

I read recently about OOC opponents that would be on one's Dream List. Notre Dame was mentioned. How many of you have ever been to South Bend? I was in Indianapolis during the recent Final Four. I decided to drive to Notre Dame ( 2 hrs 15 minutes) to check out the historical school. It is very pretty, even with all the construction. The folks on campus (especially at their impressive book store) are very friendly. All the buildings look the same (ie Va Tech). The athletic facilities are top class. Touchdown Jesus is impressive, seen from the football stadium.

HOWEVER, South Bend is very dirty, run down, empty buildings (did I say DIRTY), old, Old OLD. I was shocked! I did not see one hotel I would spend my $$$$ to stay....can we say Bed Bug City? Huntington is NY City in looks and charm compared to South Bend.

I don't think Huntington gets her credit for her beauty, nestled on the banks of the Ohio River. I love coming to Huntington to cheer on The Herd. Huntington is a "feel good city" to me. I love a lazy day in Ritter Park or a walk from campus to downtown. Huntington is beautiful during all four seasons. I enjoy Spring the most.

I have been to many college towns following The Herd. Huntington offers a lot to visiting teams and their fans. A Salute to Huntington!

HerdZilla22 (Sweeney) in Charlotte

Now Zilla, you know Huntington is the worst according to some on this board. A few of our fellow Herd posters need to get out more. And frankly, some must not realize what's good for Marshall is good for Huntington and vice versa. Any city has its warts but Huntington is FAR from the worst place in this country. South Bend, Gary In., St Louis, Detroit - tons of cities in worse shape and not as much going for them as Huntington. Its a beautiful city. I choose the glass half full thought on this subject.

Guys with Notre Dame having the agreement with the ACC now it would be very difficult for Marshall to ever have the chance to play them the way Notre Dame schedules.
Notre Dame yearly schedule is usually:
5 ACC schools (contracted to play this every year)
Navy (will play every year)
USC (will play USC + Stanford every year to guarantee 1 yearly game in California for recruiting)
Stanford (above)
Usually plays Purdue
Also usually plays Michigan State (some years will play both Purdue and MSU some years in the future only one)
Then usually plays one more big ticket game against marquee team (Oklahoma past few years, Texas next few years, Vs. Georgia, Ohio State, Texas A&M all in the future)
That leaves realistically only one open game that they usually look to fill. Past opponents and future opponents like Rice, UMass, Temple, Army, Neveda, Ball State)

It would be great to see Marshall and Notre Dame play sometime. Notre Dame's schedule is just very tight to have many chances to play Marshall. Maybe one of these years Marshall can try to get that 12th game on their schedule but I'm just letting you know how Notre Dame's scheduling typically works as there is not many open spots usually.

As a long time ND fan, I agree! However, they do have open slots beginning in 2017, and yes they usually do play one game against a team from C-USA, MAC, etc. See the below link.
http://mike-nd.com/sched-f.htm

All good comments, however The TURD (Rifle) posted in his usual DICKhead way.......some things never change.......HerdZilla22 (Gary Sweeney) in Charlotte

Why poke a bear, Sweeney? You can't & won't win.

Poking a bear is better than what he used to try and poke, eh, Chester?

And he will win as soon as that damn attorney of his finally tracks me down. It's been over five years, and the poor schlup is still on the road knocking on wrong doors.

I don't get the appeal of traveling to Indiana to play ND. Yes, the game would be televised but that's the only plus. We rarely recruit in that area, our fan base prefers to travel south for games, & it would only be a one & done. I would rather us work with schools that we can build a relationship with for possible future games.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT