ADVERTISEMENT

NTHR UTEP to have spring game on a Friday night, thoughts

Way this spring has been going, weather wise, who in the heck can predict what the whether will be in Huntington at high noon on a Saturday, much less at night! I'll take my chances on having better weather, temp wise, in the afternoon.

As much info that Doc is letting out how can someone get behind a team your only getting very very little info from to plan a Friday night/ saturday to see? And at this point your grad transfer Qb hasn't practice once this spring. Really not much to look forward too.

Reactions: 31Herd55
If UTEP wants to play their spring game on Friday it’s ok with me. Ask Doc if he wants a Friday night spring game.

FWIW, ODU has a big weekend around their spring game now, including two road races (one for kids, one for adults), a charity flag football game that now raises close to $500,000, and this year they’re bringing in Joe Nichols for an hour-long free concert. Like pretty much everything else, it’s all about the programming.

Spring games are to create "buzz" for the next season. I do not care if UTEP plays on Friday or Tuesday, whatever works for UTEP. I'm happy with MU on a Saturday afternoon. It is for die hards hard core fans anyway.

There seem to be lots of variants to spring games into how to play the game, from a dead serious dark vs. light actual game, to a controlled competition exhibition of pre set scenarios (which Doc seems to like) to yuck it ups (OSU has Brutus the worthless nut line up at QB) to whatever. MU has had all of those over the years. I don't care. I like it if we get good weather (rare), they toss in a concert or something, and they can get one of the past greats to show up.

I just wish we had a Spring Game. I hate the spring scrimmage format we have. I'll wait and see them in September.

See, and I love the scrimmage format. Spring Games are notoriously boring after the first couple series. The scrimmage format allows coaches to put the players in the exact stressful situations they need to see. And the same circumstances can be duplicated for the next group, allowing for real comparison.

See, and I love the scrimmage format. Spring Games are notoriously boring after the first couple series. The scrimmage format allows coaches to put the players in the exact stressful situations they need to see. And the same circumstances can be duplicated for the next group, allowing for real comparison.
so Judge how does the OL feel about the changes? Some good? some Bad? Some new techniques? Not looking to 'bash' anyone, just trying to learn what is new and improved.

so Judge how does the OL feel about the changes? Some good? some Bad? Some new techniques? Not looking to 'bash' anyone, just trying to learn what is new and improved.

OL technique was bound to be drastically different from Mirabel simply because he is one of the few OL guys who use the forklift technique. And I don't know about the entire OL, but I have heard that one of the guards is still working on getting it all down. Terminology is similar, but in some ways that makes it more difficult to learn. It's like if you gave me five different words to represent the numbers 1-5 then I could learn them fairly quickly. But if you said "one" now means 3, "four" now means 2, and "four" and "five" now mean "left" and "right." It's a little tricky, and difficult to not immediately think about the former system than you've been running for the last four years. I do have confidence, however, that the OL will be ready come September. Still concerned about depth.

OL technique was bound to be drastically different from Mirabel simply because he is one of the few OL guys who use the forklift technique. And I don't know about the entire OL, but I have heard that one of the guards is still working on getting it all down. Terminology is similar, but in some ways that makes it more difficult to learn. It's like if you gave me five different words to represent the numbers 1-5 then I could learn them fairly quickly. But if you said "one" now means 3, "four" now means 2, and "four" and "five" now mean "left" and "right." It's a little tricky, and difficult to not immediately think about the former system than you've been running for the last four years. I do have confidence, however, that the OL will be ready come September. Still concerned about depth.
Thks. Forklift technique? Is that where the OL brings their hands from the ground up, keeps their head back and out of contact, and basically look like 2 sumo wrestlers going at it?
If not how would you describe it? I am just interested. Tia

As much info that Doc is letting out how can someone get behind a team your only getting very very little info from to plan a Friday night/ saturday to see?

Well, they're coming off a 8 win season that included a win over one of the better G5 teams in the country.

Bill Legg is no longer the offensive coordinator, which is what 99% of fans wanted.

We have a new defensive coordinator that has made some subtle changes....so far.

We have a quarterback competition in place.

We return possibly the most talented group of WR's we've had since Randy Moss was in Huntington.

Our defense has a chance to be as good or better than 2014.

And because it's April 28th and unless you're a baseball fan, spring football is the only thing going on.

Thks. Forklift technique? Is that where the OL brings their hands from the ground up, keeps their head back and out of contact, and basically look like 2 sumo wrestlers going at it?
If not how would you describe it? I am just interested. Tia

Pretty much. The idea is to get low leverage and lift the defender into a more upright position as you drive your legs. Low man wins.

Well, they're coming off a 8 win season that included a win over one of the better G5 teams in the country.

Bill Legg is no longer the offensive coordinator, which is what 99% of fans wanted.

We have a new defensive coordinator that has made some subtle changes....so far.

We have a quarterback competition in place.

We return possibly the most talented group of WR's we've had since Randy Moss was in Huntington.

Our defense has a chance to be as good or better than 2014.

And because it's April 28th and unless you're a baseball fan, spring football is the only thing going on.
don't mean to be a jerk but this group has a long way to go to be better as a receiving group than the 2002 version. Watts, Davis, Jones, Marriott and Jason Rader was I believe the best of all time.
I would say the 1999 version of Foye, Poole, Kellett and Williams would also have my vote until they prove it on the field.Five of the nine I named made it to the next level.

don't mean to be a jerk but this group has a long way to go to be better as a receiving group than the 2002 version. Watts, Davis, Jones, Marriott and Jason Rader was I believe the best of all time.
I would say the 1999 version of Foye, Poole, Kellett and Williams would also have my vote until they prove it on the field.Five of the nine I named made it to the next level.

You give the current group Leftwich or Pennington and they’re right on par.

You give the current group Leftwich or Pennington and they’re right on par.
True that is a valid point, but we have neither of the two under center now. Just for the record, I am not putting this current group down I am merely pointing out they follow in the footsteps of some really good players who played here before them. :)

Pretty much. The idea is to get low leverage and lift the defender into a more upright position as you drive your legs. Low man wins.
is it the way Jim describes here? it seems many of the pros are going this way. From just reading this I am not sure if this is what you mean, but here it is more visual. Thanks for the input, I like studying OL play.

although he is talking to HS coaches, they are watching pro film. There are about 4 Youtubes of all of this. Worth a watch.

Last edited:
Hmmm. Great points Judge.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT