ADVERTISEMENT

Bowl game news...

RhinoD

Gold Buffalo
Mar 7, 2007
According to Action Network (If you are a gambler you know they are a credible source)... ESPN has notified their conference partners and others that all teams with 6 wins will get a bowl game in 2022. If there are more eligible teams than bowl spots a new bowl game will be created (like they did with the Frisco Bowl last year).

They currently have us projected to play Ball State at the Lending Tree Bowl in Mobile... Which is at least on a Saturday, Dec. 17.

Action Network on Bowl Season

We have covered this and the link above is saying the same... We dont need 7 wins. Every FBS team that wins 6 games will be in a bowl game. ESPN runs bowl season and they have made the decision.
EDIT: Reading the article it appears that statement stems from there not being enough teams so they have to take everyone.

"The good news, however, is it appears there will not be more than 81 teams that are bowl eligible, so there will be room for the Huskies. No teams with less than six wins may be selected until all bowl-eligible teams are taken, meaning the Huskies should end the nation’s seventh-longest bowl drought."

The other part was saying that ESPN said if there were more than 82 teams they would create a bowl. That still doesn't mean that we're eligible. I would almost bet most of these predictors aren't even aware of our situation as it never happens.

Still it doesn't matter. We should at the very least split these next two games and reach 7 wins.

Last edited:
There are currently 64 teams bowl eligible out of 131 total... and 30 teams (including JMU) have been eliminated from bowl contention. An additional 16 teams, currently 4-6, can be eliminated this week with a loss and another 20 teams are 5-5. Most of those will get to six wins, but not all of them.

There are 82 bowl spots without ESPN creating another game, and they will if they have to.

MU will play in a bowl, regardless of winning another game. ESPN doesn't care about technicalities in scheduling (especially since the NCAA waived the "one win over FCS teams" provision the last two years due to COVID cancellations and realignment). Bowl season is about money and ad revenue dollars for ESPN.

Last edited:
EDIT: Reading the article it appears that statement stems from there not being enough teams so they have to take everyone.

"The good news, however, is it appears there will not be more than 81 teams that are bowl eligible, so there will be room for the Huskies. No teams with less than six wins may be selected until all bowl-eligible teams are taken, meaning the Huskies should end the nation’s seventh-longest bowl drought."

The other part was saying that ESPN said if there were more than 82 teams they would create a bowl. That still doesn't mean that we're eligible. I would almost bet most of these predictors aren't even aware of our situation as it never happens.

Still it doesn't matter. We should at the very least split these next two games and reach 7 wins.
Note Appy State is the same situation. Played two FCS schools….

Some site i saw earlier today has us in Myrtle playing MTSU.

RMACK6E.gif

After watching the defense against Appy State and Francher using his legs and throwing the ball better I think we win the last 2.
No matter what the defense is going to keep us in the game. They have been amazing all year. Not one single game has been out of reach. Most of the time we've been within one score of taking control we just couldn't score.

With the way our defense capable of playing we should only need to score about 28 points to secure a win.

No matter what the defense is going to keep us in the game. They have been amazing all year. Not one single game has been out of reach. Most of the time we've been within one score of taking control we just couldn't score.

With the way our defense capable of playing we should only need to score about 28 points to secure a win.
#5 on defense is a legit trash talker. He jawed at the App State sideline all game. hahaha. Like the whole game. Looking right at them many times. I think he gave their cheerleaders an ear full.

The bowl discussion every year is going to be about the same. The preference for MU is always going to be Myrtle Beach, due to the large connection between that place and southern WV or New Orleans because it’s just fun.

What has changed is people actually seem interested in all of these “minor bowl” and playing these MAC and AAC schools, which not that long ago most of the ink about it was negative.

The bowl discussion every year is going to be about the same. The preference for MU is always going to be Myrtle Beach, due to the large connection between that place and southern WV or New Orleans because it’s just fun.

What has changed is people actually seem interested in all of these “minor bowl” and playing these MAC and AAC schools, which not that long ago most of the ink about it was negative.
I think the way this season has progressed... From 2-0 with a win over Notre Dame, to looking like we may not even make a bowl game, to now pretty much being assured of one, the mood has shifted around here.

Making a bowl game is important for a lot of reasons - 15 more practices, national TV exposure, whatever ticket revenue there is, nice swag/rewards for the players, a fun way to finish a long tough season, etc. Some years (when we win 10+ games) MU can afford to look down on the "lesser" bowls and hope for bigger and better things. The last two years we have not been in that position.

We should be excited about wherever we end up, even if that's in Mobile or Myrtle Beach playing a MAC team.

I think the way this season has progressed... From 2-0 with a win over Notre Dame, to looking like we may not even make a bowl game, to now pretty much being assured of one, the mood has shifted around here.

Making a bowl game is important for a lot of reasons - 15 more practices, national TV exposure, whatever ticket revenue there is, nice swag/rewards for the players, a fun way to finish a long tough season, etc. Some years (when we win 10+ games) MU can afford to look down on the "lesser" bowls and hope for bigger and better things. The last two years we have not been in that position.

We should be excited about wherever we end up, even if that's in Mobile or Myrtle Beach playing a MAC team.
I just hope wherever we end up going we can turn this bowl slump around. Bowl games used to be one of the best played games of the season and we have dropped the last three in pretty unspectacular fashion.

I just hope wherever we end up going we can turn this bowl slump around. Bowl games used to be one of the best played games of the season and we have dropped the last three in pretty unspectacular fashion.
Start that bowl winning streak back up. 2009-2018 we won our bowl games. That will go a long way in many different ways.

Couple of those years, we didn't make a bowl, but the idea remains the same.

Last edited:
Tell you what would soothe the disappointments of this season.. the magical football fairy helps MU and WVU win out and then we take the mountaineers to spanky town in a bowl game

Reactions: BleedsGreen33
Start that bowl winning streak back up. 2009-2018 we won our bowl games. That will go a long way in many different ways.

Couple of those years, we didn't make a bowl, but the idea remains the same.
I remember reading the AAC board when we were announced to play UCONN. They were running their mouths and ECU fans were educating them on no matter how the season goes Marshall always shows up in their bowls.

I want to get back to that.

I remember reading the AAC board when we were announced to play UCONN. They were running their mouths and ECU fans were educating them on no matter how the season goes Marshall always shows up in their bowls.

I want to get back to that.
Marshall shows up until the appearance fee check is handed to the AD.

Latest projection on CBSsports.com has the HERD and ECU in a late December bow game in Birmingham. Don't know if we have quite enough offense this season, however, to win another 64-61 shootout against the Pirates,

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
Latest projection on CBSsports.com has the HERD and ECU in a late December bow game in Birmingham. Don't know if we have quite enough offense this season, however, to win another 64-61 shootout against the Pirates,
Yeah. They are much improved over last year. That would be a tough out

I like our chances against Ball State. ECU would challenge us for sure. MTSU is a game we should win but lately we seem to crap our pants when we play them.

I've seen four different projections today...

MU vs. Ball State in Mobile, AL
MU vs. ECU in Frisco, TX
MU vs. MTSU in Myrtle Beach, SC
MU vs. FAU in Myrtle Beach, SC
That's what I'm HERDing here......I'm hoping for the Myrtle Beach Bowl (against FAU)...[less than a 3-hour drive for me] on that gosh awful ugly CC Chants Field....not interested in going to Texas or Mobile in December.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT