ADVERTISEMENT

Game Day Enabler Ramble

Aaron Perkins

Jan 9, 2006
Huntington
I havent been this excited for a football game in my entire life. I have been around for my share of games, attending them since 1985. Winning this game is going to be so gratifying.

Why?

1. Beating JMU, the most arrogant fan base not located in Morganhole, WV. One would think that should be enough for me, as a simple fan, to want to win. Nope, not this time.

2. This is why I want to win. I want to win so everyone on this site, other sites, twitter, facebook, etc, etc, etc can eat a big ole pile of crow. I want to see the gambler on here who openly is betting against his team, and his friend, I want him to lose. I want him to lose bad.

Why is tonight going to be awesome?

1. Its a Marshall football game.
2. Its a game against an undefeated conference rival.
3. Its on ESPN
4. It is going to be just me and about 15,000 of my favorite people sound as loud as 40k each time we score, and especially after we win.

I love the match up. I like the way the offense has moved the ball up and down the field the past few weeks. I just dont see the defense having another game where we are giving up multiple big plays. I believe we will see several different players on the field tonight trying to prove themselves and move themselves into the starting lineup permanently. Who are those players going to be? I am not sure, but I expect we will notice it early on.

I FULLY trust our head coach. I dont think he knows how to fail. I fully trust the members of this team. I speak to a couple of them every now and then and the pulse of this team is still upbeat and there is no reason to expect any type of internal melt down. The leadership is entrenched and ready to make all of us happy. By "us," I mean those that genuinely care.

By those that "genuinely care," I am including those that support our program, and not tear it down daily and then claim that that is the way it should be and people like me, the enabler, are the ones that are the detriment to the program.

Here's the thing. There are more of me, than you. And that is what is awesome. Your voice, it does nothing positive, yet you continue to do it, and thats cool. Its your opinion. I cant help that it is always wrong.

A couple hours from getting ready to head to the stadium. I expect an awesome night, filled with Kelly Green fans cheering on a 4 - 2 team still early on in what is going to be a fantastic season.

GO HERD

If we win I’ll be very happy. If we lose I’ll be disappointed. Same as every game.

Either way, I support Marshall, which means my loyalty isn’t to any individual coach or player. I want what’s best for the program. That means I don’t place full trust in anyone, every person is just a replaceable cog in the machine.

A rifle-esque post by the OP should have been anticipated. This is what happens when interest rates sky-rocket.

I am lucky enough to live in the greatest part of the country for the mortgage industry. Around here, folks buy houses for reasons other than interest rates. I am lucky to be able to work with awesome humans in all aspects of my industry, from realtors, to buyers, and sellers. Greatest business on earth, and the greatest place on earth to do it at!! I am as busy as every, minus a couple months early last year.

Thanks for the concern though!!!

GO HERD!!!!

I havent been this excited for a football game in my entire life. I have been around for my share of games, attending them since 1985. Winning this game is going to be so gratifying.

Why?

1. Beating JMU, the most arrogant fan base not located in Morganhole, WV. One would think that should be enough for me, as a simple fan, to want to win. Nope, not this time.

2. This is why I want to win. I want to win so everyone on this site, other sites, twitter, facebook, etc, etc, etc can eat a big ole pile of crow. I want to see the gambler on here who openly is betting against his team, and his friend, I want him to lose. I want him to lose bad.

3. Its on ESPN
4. It is going to be just me and about 15,000 of my favorite people sound as loud as 40k each time we score, and especially after we win.

I love the match up. I like the way the offense has moved the ball up and down the field the past few weeks. I just dont see the defense having another game where we are giving up multiple big plays. I believe we will see several different players on the field tonight trying to prove themselves and move themselves into the starting lineup permanently. Who are those players going to be? I am not sure, but I expect we will notice it early on.

I FULLY trust our head coach. I dont think he knows how to fail. I fully trust the members of this team. I speak to a couple of them every now and then and the pulse of this team is still upbeat and there is no reason to expect any type of internal melt down. The leadership is entrenched and ready to make all of us happy. By "us," I mean those that genuinely care.

By those that "genuinely care," I am including those that support our program, and not tear it down daily and then claim that that is the way it should be and people like me, the enabler, are the ones that are the detriment to the program.

Here's the thing. There are more of me, than you. And that is what is awesome. Your voice, it does nothing positive, yet you continue to do it, and thats cool. Its your opinion. I cant help that it is always wrong.

A couple hours from getting ready to head to the stadium. I expect an awesome night, filled with Kelly Green fans cheering on a 4 - 2 team still early on in what is going to be a fantastic season.

GO HERD

Can never knock you for your positive vibe. I do appreciate that about you.

I havent been this excited for a football game in my entire life.
Really? Of all the games we've played over the decades this is the most you've ever been excited for a game? Not Notre Dame? Not when WVU came to Huntington? Not any of the playoff or championship games?

Rolling Eyes Eye Roll GIF

I havent been this excited for a football game in my entire life.
Good God man, really? James Madison? More than Notre Dame last year? James Madison was a 1-AA team until last year. This year James Madison beat a now 1-5 Virginia Cavalier team by one single point. They aren't even very good and beating them will get mostly ignored in the press.

Really? Of all the games we've played over the decades this is the most you've ever been excited for a game? Not Notre Dame? Not when WVU came to Huntington? Not any of the playoff or championship games?

Rolling Eyes Eye Roll GIF

Correct. Of all the games. And one of the reasons are folks like yourself. So congrats!!

Reactions: Elkview
If we win I’ll be very happy. If we lose I’ll be disappointed. Same as every game.

Either way, I support Marshall, which means my loyalty isn’t to any individual coach or player. I want what’s best for the program. That means I don’t place full trust in anyone, every person is just a replaceable cog in the machine.
Trust and confidence are critical to success in team sports. Both players and coaches need to build trusting relationships with each other to enable peak performance. Treating players and coaches as a "cog" in the wheel does not sound relational. It seems utilitarian. This does not encourage improvements, or peak performance. All of us wants what is best for the program and that needs to include what is best for student athletes and coaches.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
Yet another ridiculous reply. That’s fine. Yawn. Tiresome
And saying this is the most exciting Herd game ever isn't ridiculous??

Also I have said I think we will win tonight and do believe even if we don't that it won't be a blowout. All I've said is that you are blind to tell people on here that there's no evidence to support their opinions.

Reactions: HerdyGurdyMan
Trust and confidence are critical to success in team sports. Both players and coaches need to build trusting relationships with each other to enable peak performance. Treating players and coaches as a "cog" in the wheel does not sound relational. It seems utilitarian. This does not encourage improvements, or peak performance. All of us wants what is best for the program and that needs to include what is best for student athletes and coaches.
What he means by that is if you have a HC that isn't performing you don't just blindly support them because they're your coach. They are an employee hired to do a job. If wins and championships aren't the ultimate goal and we just want to be buddies with everyone then pay these coaches an educator's salary. Not seven figures.

What he means by that is if you have a HC that isn't performing you don't just blindly support them because they're your coach. They are an employee hired to do a job. If wins and championships aren't the ultimate goal and we just want to be buddies with everyone then pay these coaches an educator's salary. Not seven figures.
I did not imply we "blindly" support a coach. He is an employee and will receive his performance appraisal from someone other than any of us. I am suggesting, if coaches and or student athletes read these forums, it could easily lead to distrust. I hope they have matured enough to ignore the negative comments about them as players and their coaches. However, there are differing levels of maturity given the number of people involved. Words do have an impact. Relationships are harmed by negativity. Coaches have been around long enough to deal with it. Not so sure about our student athletes. As I have stated previously, you criticize in private and praise in public. That is the mantra for excellent coaches and managers in any field. I'll always support the folks paid to make decisions about hiring and firing. Their jobs are depending upon the success of folks working for them.
We as fans can choose to encourage or discourage. If I can't say something positive, I will be quiet and let the folks in charge handle it.

Why?

3. Its on ESPN

GO HERD

Crack Crazy Kids GIF

I did not imply we "blindly" support a coach. He is an employee and will receive his performance appraisal from someone other than any of us. I am suggesting, if coaches and or student athletes read these forums, it could easily lead to distrust. I hope they have matured enough to ignore the negative comments about them as players and their coaches. However, there are differing levels of maturity given the number of people involved. Words do have an impact. Relationships are harmed by negativity. Coaches have been around long enough to deal with it. Not so sure about our student athletes. As I have stated previously, you criticize in private and praise in public. That is the mantra for excellent coaches and managers in any field. I'll always support the folks paid to make decisions about hiring and firing. Their jobs are depending upon the success of folks working for them.
We as fans can choose to encourage or discourage. If I can't say something positive, I will be quiet and let the folks in charge handle it.
How soft. Fans on a message board discussing the team good or bad shouldn't stunt their growth as players or individuals. And if us discussing how the the DC sucks at his job because our defense gets bashed every single hurts his feelings then he needs to find another line of work or become better at his job. He doesn't deserve having people tell him how great he is because he isn't.

As another poster said I root for the school. Not the individuals.

How soft. Fans on a message board discussing the team good or bad shouldn't stunt their growth as players or individuals. And if us discussing how the the DC sucks at his job because our defense gets bashed every single hurts his feelings then he needs to find another line of work or become better at his job. He doesn't deserve having people tell him how great he is because he isn't.

As another poster said I root for the school. Not the individuals.
Not soft at all. Simply recognizing we have no say in hiring and firing. Social media encourages personal attacks that most would not say face to face. That seems more cowardly than acknowledging we have no real input into who stays and who goes! Support the folks that make the decision and let the coaches and players do their job! We are not professionals and the teams are not. It’s about education.

Not soft at all. Simply recognizing we have no say in hiring and firing. Social media encourages personal attacks that most would not say face to face. That seems more cowardly than acknowledging we have no real input into who stays and who goes! Support the folks that make the decision and let the coaches and players do their job! We are not professionals and the teams are not. It’s about education.
Criticism of one's performance or lack thereof is NOT a "personal attack."

I seriously do not understand why some fans never grasp this concept. The coaches and players most likely have no clue who you are. No amount of us bitching on here will have any impact either, good or bad.

Reactions: BleedsGreen33
Criticism of one's performance or lack thereof is NOT a "personal attack."

I seriously do not understand why some fans never grasp this concept. The coaches and players most likely have no clue who you are. No amount of us bitching on here will have any impact either, good or bad.
You do not know that your last statement is true. It is personal when one sided! How can I defend myself against an unknown detractor. Again, you or I have no say in hiring or firing of staff.

Why?

3. Its on ESPN

GO HERD
This didn't age very well did it?

Why?

3. Its on ESPN

GO HERD
You want our receipts now or later?

• Sad
Reactions: putnam green
I am lucky enough to live in the greatest part of the country for the mortgage industry. Around here, folks buy houses for reasons other than interest rates. I am lucky to be able to work with awesome humans in all aspects of my industry, from realtors, to buyers, and sellers. Greatest business on earth, and the greatest place on earth to do it at!! I am as busy as every, minus a couple months early last year.

Thanks for the concern though!!!

GO HERD!!!!
51azNitNPgL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

We're talking about someone that defends Kayo Marcum, Mark Snyder, and Tom Herrion.
I know what you mean but at some point you gotta give Aaron Perkins a break. Aaron's religion is Marshall athletics. As a young man he was not athletic, nor tall, nor strong, nor smart. He attended Poca High School. He did not participate in any sport despite Poca High School's decent reputation in High School Sports. A lot of people who follow sports are like this. They couldn't be athlete's themselves so they became super-fans instead. Marshall athletics became Aaron's religion. He didn't have the athletic body, nor did he have the guts, to play football or basketball himself. Aaron is very short (5' 5") and he is not strong, and he has a non-athletic body. Aaron can't even play golf or tennis. Aaron instead worships those who can do on the football field, or basketball court, what he simple can not do himself. A lot of people who are sports follower fanatics are like this. They couldn't be athlete's themselves so they became super-fans instead. Marshall athletics's became Aaron's religion. At least we have some people like Aaron who always go to the games and stand to the very end even though they know a loss is coming. I tip my bottle of ice cold Miller High Life to you Aaron Perkins. More power to you.

I know what you mean but at some point you gotta give Aaron Perkins a break. Aaron's religion is Marshall athletics. As a young man he was not athletic, nor tall, nor strong, nor smart. He attended Poca High School. He did not participate in any sport despite Poca High School's decent reputation in High School Sports. A lot of people who follow sports are like this. They couldn't be athlete's themselves so they became super-fans instead. Marshall athletics became Aaron's religion. He didn't have the athletic body, nor did he have the guts, to play football or basketball himself. Aaron is very short (5' 5") and he is not strong, and he has a non-athletic body. Aaron can't even play golf or tennis. Aaron instead worships those who can do on the football field, or basketball court, what he simple can not do himself. A lot of people who are sports follower fanatics are like this. They couldn't be athlete's themselves so they became super-fans instead. Marshall athletics's became Aaron's religion. At least we have some people like Aaron who always go to the games and stand to the very end even though they know a loss is coming. I tip my bottle of ice cold Miller High Life to you Aaron Perkins. More power to you.
LOL! Wow.

In all seriousness I do not care that he's a superfan. I used to be one too. Reality and perspective creeped in and opened my eyes though.

The thing I have a problem with is how he talks down to everyone who dares engage in a conversation about what needs to be improved. It's just how he goes at others.

LOL! Wow.

In all seriousness I do not care that he's a superfan. I used to be one too. Reality and perspective creeped in and opened my eyes though.

The thing I have a problem with is how he talks down to everyone who dares engage in a conversation about what needs to be improved. It's just how he goes at others.

Hi Pot....my name is Kettle

And there is no WOW factor in the post you quoted.

• Sad
Reactions: putnam green
Hi Pot....my name is Kettle

And there is no WOW factor in the post you quoted.
I only get argumentative with those like yourself that refuse to see reality and constantly pump sunshine.

Almost all your replies are smug and condescending and personal. I may argue, but I state my case.

Case in point. This board is bogging down with replies to just you. Why? "I'm collecting receipts". Making a post pregame about how you're a better fan and can't wait until after the game to rub everyone's noses in it.

You're on a hill all by yourself.

I only get argumentative with those like yourself that refuse to see reality and constantly pump sunshine.

Almost all your replies are smug and condescending and personal. I may argue, but I state my case.

Case in point. This board is bogging down with replies to just you. Why? "I'm collecting receipts". Making a post pregame about how you're a better fan and can't wait until after the game to rub everyone's noses in it.

You're on a hill all by yourself.

Wait. My posts are personal? Hmmmm, interesting. I have a personal issue currently with one poster and a gambling thing that I dont agree with. Other than that, i dont make things overly personal, or bring up anythign about an individual. Oddly enough, someone did that regarding me, i found it funny, you felt the need to quote it.

But, gotcha sir!!

And in regards to me being pumped to rub somethign in someones face. You realize that what I wanted to brag about was YOUR team winning a football game. Instead, we lost, and you and others are enjoying putting that back into my face.

Good stuff!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT