ADVERTISEMENT

Game Day Enabler Ramble

It’s not one of the best. It is possibly a top 15-20 G5 job out of the 60 that are out there.
Would like to know the 20 that are better? Please elaborate.

*Really no reason to. Let's say that is true. My point is still made, by your reasoning we are in the top 30% of all G5 Jobs in the country. I would say that's accurate. A top G5 program for sure.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
That's simply not true.

The right candidate would have more than one option. There are plenty of worthy candidates who wouldn't have their agent reach out, would go for other their other options, or would express little interest when they see shenanigans like that play out.

Brent Pry could have had many, many jobs over the last four years. He waited for the right opportunity to come along. Other quality candidates would do the same thing.
Hey, since we're on this topic, how much longer do you see JMU being able to hang onto its head coach? Some of their fans are insisting he won't be leaving soon because of something he said recently about wanting to build his legacy there first or something to that effect, but I think it's nothing more than coach speak.

The first major program to offer (that also has a history of success) he's gone, such as Michigan State. Cignetti should be on everyone's radar at minimum for strong consideration.

Would like to know the 20 that are better? Please elaborate.

*Really no reason to. Let's say that is true. My point is still made, by your reasoning we are in the top 30% of all G5 Jobs in the country. I would say that's accurate. A top G5 program for sure.
You said it was "one of the best." I contested that.

Now, you say your point is still true due to being in the top 30%. Being in the top 30% doesn't seem like one of the best to me. If so, it would mean that UNLV is one of the best teams in all of FBS this year since they are in the top 30% when it comes to receiving votes.

Words matter.

Now, you say your point is still true due to being in the top 30%. Being in the top 30% doesn't seem like one of the best to me. If so, it would mean that UNLV is one of the best teams in all of FBS this year since they are in the top 30% when it comes to receiving votes.

Words matter.
If a couple of houses down means streets over and in a different neighborhood then one of the best can absolutely mean top 20

• Haha
Reactions: Jartard
I’m not going to “walk back” anything over one game in a tenure. This was similar to 2000 at Toledo. We all worship the ground that guy walks on.

Huff deserves a shot to bounce back from one loss where we lost to a team that wasn’t better than us at all.
One loss??? It's 4 in a row now.

Thank you for acknowledging my use of equality and fairness. Those are important to me.

As I have said since day one, I think Huff made many very poor coaching hires. When you do that, you tend to fail either in recruiting or player development. You can live for a year or two off of the recruiting and/or player development of the previous staff, but eventually, the chickens come home to roost.
Based on the first 2.5 years, I think Huff has a B- scorecard, buoyed by numerous big victories.

I'm less knowledgeable on this, as I haven't watched all games nor do I know many players/their ability, but the overall talent level of the team doesn't seem as strong as the last few years.

Therein lies a major problem. Huff is only under contract through next season (technically, January 2025). What needs to be done is a staff overhaul. That will impact recruiting but not as much if the head coach has a longer contract. If the HC only has one more season and you overhaul the assistants, it will have a huge disparaging impact on recruiting, which sets you up for even longer failure.

So the administration either needs to extend Huff's contract so the can overhaul his staff and still survive via recruiting or be willing to face dire consequences by not extending.
Please, no Lyons-type Kneel Down extensions.

If a couple of houses down means streets over and in a different neighborhood then one of the best can absolutely mean top 20
The phrase used wasn’t “a couple of houses down.” The phrase used was “down the street.” There’s a big difference.

Stick to rubbing prepubescent children. Intelligence isn’t an asset of yours.

Christ. This is the worst take we’ve seen on here in a while.

How many quality candidates would be interested in a job that just fired their HC after he went 7-6, 9-4, and 4-4 with wins over ND, Virginia Tech, JMU, and App State, considering our history over the past decade?

Almost any FCS head coach that is looking to double his pay and move up to FBS.

You start looking now and get a list of potential candidates. By the time you start reaching out we are likely 4-6 or 4-7 with maybe 5-6. Is it really a bad look to be firing a coach that, in his 3rd year when the program should be fully ingrained in his culture, regresses from 9-4 to 5-7 or even 6-6?

He took over a team that went 7-3 and is leading it to only its 2nd losing season in a decade. So in the last decade we have averaged 8.4 wins per year coming into this season with only one year below .500. We have had less than 8 wins only 3 times and one of those was because we only played 10 games.

We would be firing a coach after our second worst season in potentially 15 years if he fails to win another game, so I don’t see the issue with preparing for that. Any potential candidate that would have an issue with that isn’t someone I would want us to hire because it would show a complete lack of faith in their ability to get the job done.

Huff’s gotta go. Man’s ego has “gotten” (I know, bad grammar) the best of him. He talks a great game, but he is in no way shape or form going to be a successful FBS head coach. We took another chance on an unknown, and “got” burned……again.

Almost any FCS head coach that is looking to double his pay and move up to FBS.

You start looking now and get a list of potential candidates. By the time you start reaching out we are likely 4-6 or 4-7 with maybe 5-6. Is it really a bad look to be firing a coach that, in his 3rd year when the program should be fully ingrained in his culture, regresses from 9-4 to 5-7 or even 6-6?

He took over a team that went 7-3 and is leading it to only its 2nd losing season in a decade. So in the last decade we have averaged 8.4 wins per year coming into this season with only one year below .500. We have had less than 8 wins only 3 times and one of those was because we only played 10 games.

We would be firing a coach after our second worst season in potentially 15 years if he fails to win another game, so I don’t see the issue with preparing for that. Any potential candidate that would have an issue with that isn’t someone I would want us to hire because it would show a complete lack of faith in their ability to get the job done.
So your firing depends on a lot of “ifs” and is supported by statistical gymnastics. Got it.

So your firing depends on a lot of “ifs” and is supported by statistical gymnastics. Got it.

Not at all. I said we need to get started on the process. You know how it works and how long it takes. If by some miracle we beat App and Ga Southern you can always back burner it, but start laying the ground work to get if front of the crowd.

Watching the last 3 weeks do you think the proper path for leadership is to do nothing? What would you do at any of your businesses if your highest paid employee (by far) was underperforming in this manner at a job that is vital to your success? And it’s really worse than that as he is the manager of your highest profile business segment and in many ways is the national face of your organization. You have entrusted him to build his segment out with autonomy, given him more resources than any of his predecessors, and paid him more than anyone in the history of your company.

His failure reflects as failure on your whole enterprise. You better have a backup plan in place.

Not at all. I said we need to get started on the process. You know how it works and how long it takes. If by some miracle we beat App and Ga Southern you can always back burner it, but start laying the ground work to get if front of the crowd.
You don't make a move of this magnitude based on the results of one or two regular season games. That's poor leadership/management and horrific organizational strategy.

A coach who is at the 2.5 season mark should be fully evaluated which takes into consideration far, far more than the results of one or two more games. There are plenty of other factors that should be taken into consideration, again, far outside of the results of one or two regular season games.

Reactions: Aaron Perkins
His failure reflects as failure on your whole enterprise. You better have a backup plan in place.
This is the thing: This isn't some epic failure. In his first year, part of his honeymoon stage, he was average. In his second year, he was successful. Partway through his this year, he has underperformed after being perfect the first half of it. On top of that, the big ones make up for quite a bit of the averageness of results.

It isn't some drastic failure to the extent you're trying to paint it.

Words matter.
Top or best. Semantics sir.

He did underperform in 2021. 2022 was good unless you really look at it objectively. I will give him full credit for Notre Dame, easily a top three win in program history, but look past that at the other 8 wins.

By a fluke of moving conferences we played 2 FCS home games.

He beat 6-6 App, 6-6 UConn, 6-6 Ga So, 4-8 Ga St, 3-9 ODU and his other good win, 8-3 JMU that was without their starting QB.

He lost to 6-6 BGSU, 6-6 Louisiana, 9-4 Coastal and 10-2 Troy.

With the best defense at Marshall since 1999 (filled with talent left by the previous coaching staff) he went 5-3 and finished 3rd in the East division.

So outside of Notre Dame, again a great day for Marshall, how good was that 9-4 record in reality? If JMU has their starter it likely is an 8-5 season and 4-4 in conference.

Now this year, not 50%, but 67% complete. That top defense has gone from top 10 to pedestrian. The number 3 rush defense has dropped to about 110 or so. We beat VT, but I wouldn’t want to play them with their QB with 6 starts under his belt now. We haven’t scored an offensive touchdown in 9 quarters, are on a 4 game losing streak and are dead last in the East division. We have scored less points in conference games than any of the other 13 teams.

After 34 games as the head coach he is 20-14. 4-0 against FCS teams, 16-14 against FBS teams, and 11-9 in conference games. There is nothing in his record that indicates an ability to build a program. He is on a downward trajectory and there is no reason to keep riding this ride until it crashes.

He didn’t inherit a dumpster fire. He took over a team that had been 7 bowls in 8 years and had averaged 8.4 wins the previous decade. There was a lot of talent on the roster and his best players today were here when he arrived. He put together a staff lacking in experience and ability, has failed to address obvious needs on the roster, and has shown an inability to adjust his strategy.

He wasn’t ready for the job and in year three hasn’t grown in to it. He made a horrible DC hire, the equivalent of Doc hiring Rippon. He has an OC that can’t get anything out of the limited talent he has, talent limited because they haven’t found a competent QB, WRs or OL.

How obvious does it have to be before you just admit it? He’s not the guy.

He did underperform in 2021. 2022 was good unless you really look at it objectively. I will give him full credit for Notre Dame, easily a top three win in program history, but look past that at the other 8 wins.

He beat 6-6 App, 6-6 UConn, 6-6 Ga So, 4-8 Ga St, 3-9 ODU and his other good win, 8-3 JMU that was without their starting QB.

With the best defense at Marshall since 1999 (filled with talent left by the previous coaching staff) he went 5-3 and finished 3rd in the East division.

So outside of Notre Dame, again a great day for Marshall, how good was that 9-4 record in reality? If JMU has their starter it likely is an 8-5 season and 4-4 in conference.

Now this year, not 50%, but 67% complete. That top defense has gone from top 10 to pedestrian. The number 3 rush defense has dropped to about 110 or so. We beat VT, but I wouldn’t want to play them with their QB with 6 starts under his belt now. We haven’t scored an offensive touchdown in 9 quarters, are on a 4 game losing streak and are dead last in the East division. We have scored less points in conference games than any of the other 13 teams.

After 34 games as the head coach he is 20-14. 4-0 against FCS teams, 16-14 against FBS teams, and 11-9 in conference games. There is nothing in his record that indicates an ability to build a program. He is on a downward trajectory and there is no reason to keep riding this ride until it crashes.

He didn’t inherit a dumpster fire. He took over a team that had been 7 bowls in 8 years and had averaged 8.4 wins the previous decade. There was a lot of talent on the roster and his best players today were here when he arrived. He put together a staff lacking in experience and ability, has failed to address obvious needs on the roster, and has shown an inability to adjust his strategy.

He wasn’t ready for the job and in year three hasn’t grown in to it. He made a horrible DC hire, the equivalent of Doc hiring Rippon. He has an OC that can’t get anything out of the limited talent he has, talent limited because they haven’t found a competent QB, WRs or OL.

Well said

that is a fair assessment of his results so far.

How obvious does it have to be before you just admit it?

Um, he won't, and ever since siding with Aaron (a man who is incapable of handing out any criticism of Marshall football) Rifle has just doubled down on stupid in an attempt to justify his argument.

App opens as a 4 point fav vs the Herd. Knowing how much Aaron enjoys betting, I’d say take App & give the points. It’s a lock!
Guaranteed win

Aaron is more excited today than he has ever been as a Marshall fan. This level of excitement will not be exceeded, until tomorrow when he will be even more excited.

• Haha
Reactions: mlblack16.
Dont say this lol. He may chastise you on here like he did me
Along with greatly exaggerating what you're doing with the money being placed on bets.

You: I made a small cash bet on the game which paid out so well, I was able to use my earnings to pay my rent for the month.

Perkins: 😡🤬😡🤬😡🤬 YOU BET YOUR FAMILY'S RENT MONEY ON MARSHALL FOOTBALL?!?! YOUR KIDS (you don't even have kids) WILL GET NOTHING FOR CHRISTMAS NOW, YOU PIECE OF POOP!!

• Haha
You don't make a move of this magnitude based on the results of one or two regular season games. That's poor leadership/management and horrific organizational strategy.

A coach who is at the 2.5 season mark should be fully evaluated which takes into consideration far, far more than the results of one or two more games. There are plenty of other factors that should be taken into consideration, again, far outside of the results of one or two regular season games.
Frank Beamer.....very good coach or terrible coach? Imagine if VA Tech didn't have the patience with him his first 6 years.

1987 2-9
1988 3-8
1989 6-4-1
1990 6-5
1991 5-6
1992 2-8-1

Huff has underperformed every season he’s been here. Don’t have it in me to look up, but his results as a favorite are abysmal.

Frank Beamer.....very good coach or terrible coach? Imagine if VA Tech didn't have the patience with him his first 6 years.

1987 2-9
1988 3-8
1989 6-4-1
1990 6-5
1991 5-6
1992 2-8-1
That's not a valid comparison.
Huff walked into a much better situation. As he said himself during his introduction, Huff was not walking into a rebuild; it was just a program that wasn't winning at a high enough level.
This isn't a defense of Doc, but the offense is even worse and more boring than the later Holliday seasons.

1987 2-9
1988 3-8
1989 6-4-1
1990 6-5
1991 5-6
1992 2-8-1
Not really playing that Beamer schedule either. We are getting taken to the woodshed by the Georgia State’s of the world and Coastal Carolina with a 3rd string QB.

Last edited:

1987 2-9
1988 3-8
1989 6-4-1
1990 6-5
1991 5-6
1992 2-8-1

Fitting. This is the exact same comparison Kayo Marcum used to defend Snyder. He actually had a written list of coaches who went from suck to decent or good and shared it with an ESPN sideline reporter that was interviewing him.

I don’t know if you didn’t know that or are just trolling with a random call back, but thanks for bringing up that memory.

Fitting. This is the exact same comparison Kayo Marcum used to defend Snyder. He actually had a written list of coaches who went from suck to decent or good and shared it with an ESPN sideline reporter that was interviewing him.

I don’t know if you didn’t know that or are just trolling with a random call back, but thanks for bringing up that memory.
I did not know that Marcum had brought that up in the past. I just laugh as some of you act like Huff took over a program that's been in 1st place in the division for 5 of the past 7 years or something.

3 divisional first places finishes in the last 20 years. You act like he took over Alabama and ruined them instantly.

The lack of patience is amazing imo. I'll depart the thread and let the public Huff execution continue.

And Coach Donnan so beautifully said something like “Marcum needs to stop making lists and start raising money to make the program better.”

Reactions: mufan08
I did not know that Marcum had brought that up in the past. I just laugh as some of you act like Huff took over a program that's been in 1st place in the division for 5 of the past 7 years or something.

3 divisional first places finishes in the last 20 years. You act like he took over Alabama and ruined them instantly.

The lack of patience is amazing imo. I'll depart the thread and let the public Huff execution continue.
Good. Your argument was awful.

Well, the 3 years before Huff we were 24-12. In almost 3 years with him we are 20-14. He was left a team with several all-conference players returning. He said himself that he was t inheriting a problem but a team that was built to win right away. So 67% winning percentage down to 59% when we increased football expenditures 20% so he could everything he said he needed.

We didn’t fire Doc to get worse.

I will start that currently sitting at 4-4 is disappointing…..but the season can be salvaged for sure.

I also remember when we were winning those games in C-USA and even when winning the division(s) in C-USA how many people on here would trash those years along with C-USA in general and how many times did we read that C-USA champs would be middle of the pack Sun Belt teams??

So would all-conference C-USA players be all-conference players in the Sun Belt??

Oh be still your beating heart.

Stop acting like you care, and why are you so concerned about what we're doing, troll? I see TONS of Ear Fans calling for your head coach to be fired. Oh what little patience your WVu brethren have for your poor, innocent head coach.

Pfft, take a hike with that shit.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT