ADVERTISEMENT

Nyquan Harris

I just don't understand the idea of feeling like you're entitled to that info just because you're a fan.

Your phrasing here is ghastly - entitled? Sure, I guess Americans are "entitled" to demand answers from their public officials (which all of these coaches are, by the way) working for a public university (which Marshall was the last time I checked) regarding incidents involving scholarship athletes (who are themselves public figures) who are dismissed from an athletic program that utilized state taxpayer subsidy by proxy to grant the aforementioned scholarship in the first place.

But again, maybe you're right, and the fault doesn't lie in whatever Nyquan Harris did last weekend, but in me having the audacity to be curious about it. Maybe I should just let it go, and instead be satisfied with the flavorless paste of press conference transcripts published in the neutered local media, the box score on ESPN.com, and whatever I saw live on Facebook during the game.

Unfortunately (or fortunately, whichever you prefer), that also means I have absolutely no reason to ever visit this site.

Well, back in the Donnan and Pruett days players did the same stuff, but no one ever heard about it as it was taken care of in-house, and the fans were fine with that in most cases....
Yeah, up until we got caught and spanked by the NCAA for all that stuff that was going on that the public didn't know about but was cool with, and our program was thrust into 1,000 years of darkness, just as we joined the best conference we'd ever be in and got WVU back on the schedule.

"I don't know why you guys expect to get any information from me. That would jeopardize my ability to get the information for myself, which is all I really care about," Anonymous Moderator.

Reactions: WV_Celt
"I don't know why you guys expect to get any information from me. That would jeopardize my ability to get the information for myself, which is all I really care about," Anonymous Moderator.

Not that I would post sensitive info anyways, but I'm definitely not going to post premium info on the free board.

its hard to tell what the obstruction charge was for, but I wouldn't call him a criminal for that sort of thing.

Pretty sure calling someone a criminal is applicable if they get arrested on an obstruction charge.

At least in the real world it is.

I think in the real world a criminal is one who has been convicted of a crime.

Reactions: Herd Fever
And that's very understandable, but this stuff happens everywhere.

The Fulmer Cup is a fan site that covers legal issues across college football. Every arrest or legal issue is figured into a points based system and recorded.

Marshall wasn't even inside the Top 40 in 2017, and finished outside of the Top 25 last year. For that matter, there were 4 or 5 C-USA schools ahead of them in 2017.

I'm not excusing it. I'm just saying that things aren't nearly as bad as some would portray it to be.
Its not so much the arrests but the number of kids coming in and then leaving

Its not so much the arrests but the number of kids coming in and then leaving

Again, our attrition rate isn't much higher than others when you look at it class-by-class.

I think what makes it look bad are the kids that sign in February and then never show up here. Those kids get counted in to our attention and that makes it look bad.

I call bullsh*t ^^^
He's an uber homer that denies all issues with the coaching staff. Someone figured this up a while ago and I want to say we were about 30th worst. Which he spun to "See, we aren't the worst. *Insert elite P5 school* has had worse attrition than us, that proves it's not a big deal."

Reactions: Clarence Woodworth
He's an uber homer that denies all issues with the coaching staff. Someone figured this up a while ago and I want to say we were about 30th worst. Which he spun to "See, we aren't the worst. *Insert elite P5 school* has had worse attrition than us, that proves it's not a big deal."
"Speaking words of wisdom, let it be"!

I don't have time to look them up, but @pdbailey always has them handy.
The current retention rate for scholarship recruits that enrolled from 2010-2017 is 55.36% and the retention rate for scholarship recruits that enrolled or signed is 49.81%. We are about 10% below what would be an ideal retention rate 68%, or retain 85 of 125 recruits over a 5-yr period. We are current retaining 69 of 125 recruits over a 5-yr period based on our current rates, and this is why our depth is usually young and inexperienced. That adds up over time and would give us quality depth on an annual basis. Please note that the 2010 class train wrecks the numbers as only 10 of 33 (31.25%) recruits from that class completed their eligibility at MU. The 2012-2013 classes had very high attrition rates as well, which calls in to question Seider's performance as Recruiting Coordinator during that time. We landed a lot of talent in those classes, but he took several high risks that did not pan out and it ultimately cost him his job as the RC. The reason we were so good from 2013-2015 is that the 2011 class was stellar in retention and talent level and is our best ever in terms of class rating.

Last edited:
Reactions: AllEers6
The current retention rate for scholarship recruits that enrolled from 2010-2017 is 55.36% and the retention rate for scholarship recruits that enrolled or signed is 49.81%. We are about 10% below what would be an ideal retention rate 68%, or retain 85 of 125 recruits over a 5-yr period. We are current retaining 69 of 125 recruits over a 5-yr period based on our current rates, and this is why our depth is usually young and inexperienced. That adds up over time and would give us quality depth on an annual basis. Please note that the 2010 class train wrecks the numbers as only 10 of 33 (31.25%) recruits from that class completed their eligibility at MU. The 2012-2013 classes had very high attrition rates as well, which calls in to question Seider's performance as Recruiting Coordinator during that time. We landed a lot of talent in those classes, but he took several high risks that did not pan out and it ultimately cost him his job as the RC. The reason we were so good from 2013-2015 is that the 2011 class was stellar in retention and talent level and is our best ever in terms of class rating.

Look people can complain about Legg, the Athletic Director, or lack of money, or whatever but the bottom line this is the main problem with Marshall football.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan

Which is hilarious because it's really not THAT much information. The athletic department knows that there are lots of Herd fans on this and other boards so they throw them a bone but I know for a FACT that Doc and Hamrick keep the recruiting sites (aka message boards) on a very short leash. They are about 5th in the pecking order.

Not to threadjack by going back to the OP, but Doc said in his presser that Harris will hopefully be back in time to play against Cincinnati, so it appears he won't be facing any discipline for the arrest.

Can we now just call a spade a spade and admit that the reason the arrest wasn't addressed was to avoid having to suspend the player for it?

Expected responses:
  • "His crime wasn't a big deal, so they let it go, and I know this because the staff is rigorously honest about this stuff and I trust they'd have said something if it was serious."
  • "He was suspended for KSU, they just didn't announce it."
  • "HIPAA."

Look people can complain about Legg, the Athletic Director, or lack of money, or whatever but the bottom line this is the main problem with Marshall football.

I've said this many times but was told I am nuts and just anti prop. Lol!

I agree, we have recruited a lot of very good players for our level on an annual basis, but our attrition issues have prevented us from being a potential undefeated team every year starting with 2013.

Reactions: AllEers6
College football aint exactly a boys choir... as long as he keeps his nose clean and doesnt get arrested a second time he should be a welcome addition back to the defensive front.

Reactions: pdbailey and jbherd
I agree, we have recruited a lot of very good players for our level on an annual basis, but our attrition issues have prevented us from being a potential undefeated team every year starting with 2013.
I think Doc can continue to bring in props but he needs to start looking into the kids social background closer before bringing them in. Look, I was handed my ass the last time I mentioned this but Doc left Don Nehlen a bunch of problems in the late 90's before he left for NC State. Having said this, look at Docs current recruiting class. Lots of local/regional kids and this is a start to cleaning up the problems.

There are several Martinsburg High kids I wish he would make a move on including the QB who has thrown for a 1000 yards, 17 TDS, No Ints, and 77 % comp., on a 5 and 0 team. Btw, the kid only plays about 2 qts a game and has a 4.2 gpa (and his dad is a reality TV star to boot).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT