ADVERTISEMENT

ODU

ohio herd

Platinum Buffalo
Gold Member
Aug 28, 2012
when they announced they would not be playing at least 4 other conferences were not playing. So are they now going to play or maybe be the only school that plays FCS that is sitting the whole season out?

they will not be playing this fall...their AD does a weekly on the local ESPN radio station and is confident they made the right choice for them, and they’re sticking to it. Can’t really blame him for the decision, because hampton roads was a mess at the time. Plus, with program cuts they have made, he has the money to ride it out

This was to be their big year to see if those 20 JUCOs from 2 years ago could turn their program around.

Didn’t they have a win over Va. Tech last year?

maybe be the only school that plays FCS that is sitting the whole season out?

They play FBS, not FCS. And UConn and New Mexico State are two other FBS schools that have claimed they won’t be playing this fall.

Reactions: ohio herd
This was to be their big year to see if those 20 JUCOs from 2 years ago could turn their program around.

Didn’t they have a win over Va. Tech last year?
No. Va Tech beat them soundly. It was 2 years ago ODU won .
Last year the Monarchs ended 1-11 and fired their coach. The only win was a 3 point nod over Norfolk State.

Reactions: 31Herd55
they will not be playing this fall...their AD does a weekly on the local ESPN radio station and is confident they made the right choice for them, and they’re sticking to it. Can’t really blame him for the decision, because hampton roads was a mess at the time. Plus, with program cuts they have made, he has the money to ride it out

Plenty of conferences have gone back on their initial decisions, even program presidents who (maybe) still object to playing, have decided to go ahead with the season.

Of all programs in CUSA to declare not playing the season, I would not have said ODU.

But they have potential! 🤣
IDK why, but them continuing to sit this out , while everyone but 2 other schools in the entire nation had returned ,really rubs me the wrong way. For one thing, it hurts us and then on top of that having Rice ppd us is just the result of piss poor leadership at the top of C-USA

I think the league should have made them forfeit the games they didn't play. If you're going to make the rest of the conference accommodate you, they each deserve a W. Same thing for Rice, who deliberately shortened their season.

I wonder if both of those teams being complete and utter trash had any factor in their decision to not play. Things that make you go....hmmm....

I think the league should have made them forfeit the games they didn't play. If you're going to make the rest of the conference accommodate you, they each deserve a W. Same thing for Rice, who deliberately shortened their season.

I wonder if both of those teams being complete and utter trash had any factor in their decision to not play. Things that make you go....hmmm....
And I see Rice mentioned in some bowl projections. Now that UTEP is winning, they too may go bowling

What I'm most interested in this weekend: to see if the FAU/Charlotte and MTSU/WKU games happen, and which game ends first, resulting in the first C-USA East team not named Marshall to win a football game this year.

FAU/Charlotte kicks off an hour earlier, but maybe MTSU/WKU is just a run-centric grind fest and they come in under the wire. Who knows, I just know I'm excited for some C-USA East Football!

Watching many CUSA teams. We should win this league. UAB and La Tech are the only half way decent teams I have seen.

I’m sure WKU will play like the Patriots next week though

Good opponent & reasonably close...so, yes. They were also open yesterday.

They have already beaten 2 CUSA teams, with another one on their schedule...but we all know they are those “Flaming Idiots”.
Liberty beat North Alabama 28-7 yesterday

Should have taken liberty.

Been over this before.
Nobody's doubting Liberty's ability to compete, what is making people turn the other way, is Liberty's very vocal Evangelical atmosphere. It is also a huge factor into why they (likely) are not part of a conference at this time. They don't look like they're going to tone down their opinions on politics and social issues anytime soon, so why should the conference let them in?

Been over this before.
Nobody's doubting Liberty's ability to compete, what is making people turn the other way, is Liberty's very vocal Evangelical atmosphere. It is also a huge factor into why they (likely) are not part of a conference at this time. They don't look like they're going to tone down their opinions on politics and social issues anytime soon, so why should the conference let them in?
Keep religion and politics out of sports

So you'd be fine with Marshall joining conferences with a school that barred blacks from playing on their teams?

that’s a solid lie.

Anyway, what’s the difference between having an overly religious school or an overly “progressive “ school in your conference?

that’s a solid lie.

He said he wanted religion and politics out of sports. Both religion and politics have played direct factors in not allowing blacks to play on college sports teams.

Anyway, what’s the difference between having an overly religious school or an overly “progressive “ school in your conference?

Progressives fight for equality for all. Religious schools have historically and currently worked against equality for blacks, gays, etc. even regarding allowing them to play sports.

that’s a solid lie.

Progressive is more about getting everyone on the same level. They keep in mind others who may not have an equal share or opportunity to partake in whatever is out there.
Does this mean changes being made? Yes. The intent is to make it about others.

Liberty's case is more about "taking over" with propaganda relating to their Evangelical doctrines. They'll flood the airwaves with their ideologies (which are not only quite outdated but are just morally wrong on various degrees) and essentially try to ensure themselves control over everyone else. Can you imagine tailgating at Liberty? Being told you shouldn't be drinking beer at all and about a dozen other things you're doing wrong "according to ____"?
Does this mean changes being made? Yes. The intent is to make it about themselves.

My biggest concern with Liberty is that they would follow the UCF playbook. Their leadership would certainly be okay with things getting a little messy, if it lead to the greater good of winning/publicity.

We can’t talk politics here, so I’ll bow out. But progressives are about getting everyone on the same level - no matter how much they have to pull people down to accomplish it.

Reactions: GreenDuke
So you'd be fine with Marshall joining conferences with a school that barred blacks from playing on their teams?
Recent photos of LU’s football and basketball squads is proof positive that
blacks play for them,

But progressives are about getting everyone on the same level - no matter how much they have to pull people down to accomplish it.

That's foolish talk.

Recent photos of LU’s football and basketball squads is proof positive that
blacks play for them,

The point went over your head by about 20 yards.

You claim that politics and religion should stay out of sports. Both politics and religion have been used to discriminate against sports participation in college. So if you want to keep religions and politics out of sports, at least in the discussion regarding Liberty, then you also advocate Marshall joining a conference with a team that bars players based on race.

You can't make the statement that you did ("keep religion and politics out of sports") and then avoid how that has played out in the past.

SO I guess SMU aka Southern Methodist, TCU, aka Texas Christian, Notre Dame , BYU and Baylor should all bow out if you want to be fair. Get rid of all of the Christian schools. While you are at it throw out U of So. Cal, Duke and Boston College ,all started by Christians. I am okay playing Liberty. Do I want them in the conference? IDK but it has nothing to do with them being a Christian school.

Reactions: 31Herd55
Not living in the past...history cannot be changed...

But you can improve the future. And doing that in this scenario includes not assisting bigoted colleges.

SO I guess SMU aka Southern Methodist, TCU, aka Texas Christian, Notre Dame , BYU and Baylor should all bow out if you want to be fair. Get rid of all of the Christian schools. While you are at it throw out U of So. Cal, Duke and Boston College ,all started by Christians. I am okay playing Liberty. Do I want them in the conference? IDK but it has nothing to do with them being a Christian school.

I'm not the one saying to ignore religion/politics. That's your fellow deplorable.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT