ADVERTISEMENT

Olympics

riflearm2

Platinum Buffalo
Gold Member
Dec 8, 2004
I love the Olympics. I get into them. I'm disappointed that I haven't been to any yet, but Los Angeles hosts them in 2028, and it appears that Salt Lake City will get them in 2034, so I plan on being at both if I hold up.

Yesterday, Los Angeles announced their event sites. They are doing equestrian about 100 minutes away from Los Angeles. What? I realize that SLC had Park City, which is 35 minutes away, host some of the mountain events, but that's because those events needed a fvcking mountain. You can't just build one of those. And 100 minutes is much different than 35 minutes.

But even with that, it is somewhat understandable, because equestrian events needs a couple hundred acres, and land that size is hard to find near major metros. My biggest issue is that they are sending two sports - softball and kayaking - to Oklahoma City. How the fvck do you have Los Angeles host the Olympics but are sending two events 1500 miles away? The excuse is that there isn't a softball stadium in the west with the crowd capacity needed. Yeah, that's part of the Olympic issue - structures. Sending these participants and fans 1500 miles away makes no sense and ruins the culture. Get some major sponsors, some of the Olympic money, and some state funds, and build a fvcking stadium that one of the state schools can also use.

I love the Olympics. I get into them. I'm disappointed that I haven't been to any yet, but Los Angeles hosts them in 2028, and it appears that Salt Lake City will get them in 2034, so I plan on being at both if I hold up.

Yesterday, Los Angeles announced their event sites. They are doing equestrian about 100 minutes away from Los Angeles. What? I realize that SLC had Park City, which is 35 minutes away, host some of the mountain events, but that's because those events needed a fvcking mountain. You can't just build one of those. And 100 minutes is much different than 35 minutes.

But even with that, it is somewhat understandable, because equestrian events needs a couple hundred acres, and land that size is hard to find near major metros. My biggest issue is that they are sending two sports - softball and kayaking - to Oklahoma City. How the fvck do you have Los Angeles host the Olympics but are sending two events 1500 miles away? The excuse is that there isn't a softball stadium in the west with the crowd capacity needed. Yeah, that's part of the Olympic issue - structures. Sending these participants and fans 1500 miles away makes no sense and ruins the culture. Get some major sponsors, some of the Olympic money, and some state funds, and build a fvcking stadium that one of the state schools can also use.
Man, that is terrible and ruins it for both the athletes and fans that won’t get to watch other events.

I too love the Olympics. One of my former athletes qualified for the Olympics in javelin based on his finish at the trials.

I too love the Olympics. One of my former athletes qualified for the Olympics in javelin based on his finish at the trials.
Was he any good in high school? If you train some kids at a young age, they have to have a decent shot at reaching the Olympics in some of these events.

An elementary school classmate of mine's mom swam for Australia. After growing up, the daughter (my classmate) swam in the Olympics for whatever country she moved to. Swimming is not one of them, but some other events are very lightly participated in, especially in certain countries.

OKC, Devin Park is really fvcking nice and seats 13k. I get it.

They should at least have kayaking in an area known for kayaking. Yes, I know the event is held in a built facility, but come on, no one thinks about OKC and kayaking in the same thought. California definitely has locations that could have been used for that.

Reactions: Jartard

They should at least have kayaking in an area known for kayaking. Yes, I know the event is held in a built facility, but come on, no one thinks about OKC and kayaking in the same thought. California definitely has locations that could have been used for that.
Probably not allowed to put a plastic Kayak in the water.

Seriously, kind of odd they wouldn't just build a facility for the Olympics. With a major metro area like LA you would think they could build a whitewater center. You would think UCLA or USC(I know it is private) or some other schools would build a softball stadium through some funding and then use it after the Olympics.

Reactions: Jartard

They should have selected Deep Creek Lake.

Was he any good in high school? If you train some kids at a young age, they have to have a decent shot at reaching the Olympics in some of these events.

An elementary school classmate of mine's mom swam for Australia. After growing up, the daughter (my classmate) swam in the Olympics for whatever country she moved to. Swimming is not one of them, but some other events are very lightly participated in, especially in certain countries.
He was our starting qb, center in basketball and didn't pick up javelin until college.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT