ADVERTISEMENT

OOC schedule

ohio herd

Platinum Buffalo
Gold Member
Aug 28, 2012
Okay folks should we try to schedule more P5 games or less? Since 1997 when we moved to FBS we have a record in these games of 7 w and 34 L . The breakdown by coach: BP was 4-9, MS was 0-13 and DH is 3-12.

In the Snyder years we played 3 of these games 3 times in a season and 2 the other 2 years of his tenure.That didn't work out well. For the most part under BP and Doc we have played 1 maybe 2 in a season. So with so much arguing about our SOS what do you guys think? This year we have zero P5 games but play 3 challenging G5 schools, all who are capable of winning their respective conference next year. So are we better off going this route or playing 3 P5 schools? IMO unless we are loaded we are setting ourselves up for a long season if we schedule OOC where we might end up 1-3 headed into conference play. What say ye Herd Nation

Reactions: marshall_U
It really boils down to what P5 teams we're talking about. The Purdues, Mizzous, Kansas States, Wake Forests, and Arizonas of the football world, yes. Work hard to schedule them.

Play to your level, or as close as possible. I've always been a fan of the idea that the top G5 schools should schedule one another. I'd love to see the Herd travel to Boise.

Reactions: ohio herd
I see 3-8 for Pruett; BYU & VT were not P5 teams. What 3 P5 wins does Doc have? I see Maryland & Purdue.
Louisville for Doc, they were in the Big East when we played them and the BE was a "power" conference.. BP beat South Carolina, Clemson, Kansas State and yes.... Temple who in 1999 was a part of the Big East. He lost games to Va Tech (BE) I mean for goodness sake in 1999 they played Fl State for the National Title, Florida, WVU, Mississippi, Tennessee, Georgia, Ohio State, North Carolina and Michigan State. Yep, my math is correct, oh by the way you are correct about BYU.

Louisville for Doc, they were in the Big East when we played them and the BE was a "power" conference.. BP beat South Carolina, Clemson, Kansas State and yes.... Temple who in 1999 was a part of the Big East. He lost games to Va Tech (BE) I mean for goodness sake in 1999 they played Fl State for the National Title, Florida, WVU, Mississippi, Tennessee, Georgia, Ohio State, North Carolina and Michigan State. Yep, my math is correct, oh by the way you are correct about BYU.
I was a little confused about his V Tech claim, myself. The Big East at that point would definitely be considered a Power conference.

I think a good schedule for Marshall would be no FCS unless we play 3 P5 schools. But I feel a good schedule for Marshall would be 2 P5 schools and 2 G5 schools.
With the G5 schools schedule relatively local. MAC or American or Sun Belt conference schools. If you can get another home and home with Boise that would be great, but that’s the only G5 that I would do that kind of travel for.

With the P5 schools schedule P5s that you know will play us in Huntington, whether in a 1 for 1 or a 2 for 1. These schools are more than likely not powerhouses. So they would be games we could compete and maybe win. Purdue, Indiana, Kansas, NC State, Louisville, Va Tech, Wake Forest, Boston College, Vanderbilt etc.

Next years schedule is good but not playing a P5 no matter how good the G5 is does not give us the national exposure that playing a P5 school does, especially throwing in the fact we play VMI in our other OOC game. If we had Boise and Cincinnati next year with 2 P5s even if they were bad P5s would be in my opinion a perfect schedule.

We are a FBS program and If we legitimately want to play in an Access Bowl then I feel we need to step up and play a competitive OOC every year especially with as poor as the perception and reality of our conference is.

Plus if we don’t make the Access Bowl this type of schedule gives our fans a chance to see us play some of the “ big boys” so it's kind of a reward for them to having to sit through the Charlotte, UTEP, and ODU type of games.

We'll be lucky to be 1-2 against our 3 G-5's this year. We should be able to handle Ohio U (if we can finally
stop the slant passes to the tight ends and if our DB's learn to turn and look for the ball)...Boise State on
their blue turf...no way...Cincy???...major doubts...they did beat VT in their bowl game.

2-2 headed into conference play...could be worse...just saying.

We'll be lucky to be 1-2 against our 3 G-5's this year. We should be able to handle Ohio U (if we can finally
stop the slant passes to the tight ends and if our DB's learn to turn and look for the ball)...Boise State on
their blue turf...no way...Cincy???...major doubts...they did beat VT in their bowl game.

2-2 headed into conference play...could be worse...just saying.

OU returns a QB that’s pretty good. Tyler Tettleton clone. This games not a given for sure. Solich and those guys always get up for our games.

OU returns a QB that’s pretty good. Tyler Tettleton clone. This games not a given for sure. Solich and those guys always get up for our games.
The only thing in our favor is we get them at home. We will win at home imo. God help us if we were playing in Athens. Lately they have beaten us like a drum there

Reactions: 31Herd55
The only thing in our favor is we get them at home. We will win at home imo. God help us if we were playing in Athens. Lately they have beaten us like a drum there
Doc has a 2-1 record over OU in Huntington.

hope he goes 3-1 at home this year

Whatever the record is, this game should be played every year. It's by far the most intriguing game/rival Marshall has. It's definitely better than any CUSA rivalry. The longer the series continues the better it is for each program IMO. Long standing rivalries are actually a selling point to some recruits, especially when you bring those recruits to said game to see the hype.

Just my opinion but Snyder played much more difficult OOC’s than Pruett or Doc. Plus his entire tenure was in a much more difficult CUSA. Not that I think he is a better coach than BP or DH, just throwing it out there.

I think part of that was at the time Marshall was competitive against the P5 and so they felt they could beat some of the P5 and compete with the really good ones.
But you're right, as bad of a coach Snyder was, he really got the Murder's Row for P5 scheduling.
Also given the NCAA violations from the previous regime, it was a pretty bad setup for a first time head coach.

I think a good schedule for Marshall would be no FCS unless we play 3 P5 schools. But I feel a good schedule for Marshall would be 2 P5 schools and 2 G5 schools.
With the G5 schools schedule relatively local. MAC or American or Sun Belt conference schools. If you can get another home and home with Boise that would be great, but that’s the only G5 that I would do that kind of travel for.

With the P5 schools schedule P5s that you know will play us in Huntington, whether in a 1 for 1 or a 2 for 1. These schools are more than likely not powerhouses. So they would be games we could compete and maybe win. Purdue, Indiana, Kansas, NC State, Louisville, Va Tech, Wake Forest, Boston College, Vanderbilt etc.

Next years schedule is good but not playing a P5 no matter how good the G5 is does not give us the national exposure that playing a P5 school does, especially throwing in the fact we play VMI in our other OOC game. If we had Boise and Cincinnati next year with 2 P5s even if they were bad P5s would be in my opinion a perfect schedule.

We are a FBS program and If we legitimately want to play in an Access Bowl then I feel we need to step up and play a competitive OOC every year especially with as poor as the perception and reality of our conference is.

Plus if we don’t make the Access Bowl this type of schedule gives our fans a chance to see us play some of the “ big boys” so it's kind of a reward for them to having to sit through the Charlotte, UTEP, and ODU type of games.

Good points. I think some need to accept that while Purdue may not be as attractive a name as VT or NC State or Louisville, they are still a P5 program and regardless of their record, a win against them is a P5 win.
As you said, they are also likely to do a return game. One thing Hamrick has done rather well, is scheduling 1:1 games while many would take a paycheck and travel. Unless its USC and over a million, some teams won't take a return game and those are the recognized names.

We are losing 1 for 1's with P5's, none have been scheduled recently. VT essentially is a 2-1 since we gave them an unscheduled game last year. I know it won't happen, but it would be in the best interest of the G5 to just play each other if the P5 doesn't want to play fair in any angle of FBS ball. That's just my opinion. No way would I give a low level program like Kansas, Indiana etc a 2 for 1....

Reactions: 31Herd55
We are losing 1 for 1's with P5's, none have been scheduled recently. VT essentially is a 2-1 since we gave them an unscheduled game last year. I know it won't happen, but it would be in the best interest of the G5 to just play each other if the P5 doesn't want to play fair in any angle of FBS ball. That's just my opinion. No way would I give a low level program like Kansas, Indiana etc a 2 for 1....
for sure we would be crazy to schedule Wake Forest, Kansas etc 2-1. Would love to play Indiana and Kentucky and Vanderbilt or Wake Forest. Playing Ohio State and Georgia IMO is not in our best interest at this time.

for sure we would be crazy to schedule Wake Forest, Kansas etc 2-1. Would love to play Indiana and Kentucky and Vanderbilt or Wake Forest. Playing Ohio State and Georgia IMO is not in our best interest at this time.

So Miss comes to mind.
...their OOC schedules are against schools like Mississippi, Miss State, Alabama, LSU...etc and some even come to The Rock.....not sure how they do it---but they do. In fact, MTSU is attracting some Big Names to come to their place. Appy State (Sun Belt) should have defeated @ Penn State last season, have played @ Alabama, Clemson and picked up great payday$ too....

HerdZilla22 in warmer Charlotte

I would much rather have a reasonable schedule. A I-AA, Ohio or Miami (not the real one, the one in Ohio), and then another G5 league team, and a P5 with which we can get a 1:1. I see no reason to get assreamed by teams from the top of the SEC, ACC or Big 10 with no return game.

Agreed, we always had that one or two losses a year because we needed the money way back when (MAC). The only one that took us lightly was K-State and the year that really worked for us was 99, but we know that. The one program we couldn't sniff always seemed to be VT, under BP and Snyder (complete destruction under leftwich and no lube when snyder was here). Doc nearly beat them and who knows what the hell happened last year....lol

Reactions: GoHerdMarshallYes
OU just signed a home and home with 'Cuse. Our 2020 OOC is excellent, maybe the best overall we have had for solid programs and competitive.

Reactions: beefcake0520
Its hard to get a "perfect" non-conference schedule... But I think for a school like MU, where we want to be the best G5 team out there, there is a balance.

1. Opening game at home – Bad G5 or FCS
2. Weak P5 team – Purdue, Wake Forest, Boston College, etc.
3. A regional/rival G5 team – Ohio, Kent, Akron, ECU, App State, etc.
4. A top tier G5 or really good P5 team – Somebody ranked.

As mentioned above, our 2020 non-conference slate is about as close to perfect as we will get... Ohio, Pitt, East Carolina, Boise State.

OU just signed a home and home with 'Cuse. Our 2020 OOC is excellent, maybe the best overall we have had for solid programs and competitive.

And Peden Stadium seats, maybe, 24,000 or so. Can't tell me, either, that SE Ohio is a hot bed recruiting area for an ACC school like Syracuse. Maybe the fact that the Orange's head coach, Dino Babers, use to be the head man at another MAC school, Bowling Green, had something to do with the games with Ohio U!

Considering that Athens is only about 81 miles from Huntington, wonder if MH has ever approached Syracuse about a game or games??

Its hard to get a "perfect" non-conference schedule... But I think for a school like MU, where we want to be the best G5 team out there, there is a balance.

1. Opening game at home – Bad G5 or FCS
2. Weak P5 team – Purdue, Wake Forest, Boston College, etc.
3. A regional/rival G5 team – Ohio, Kent, Akron, ECU, App State, etc.
4. A top tier G5 or really good P5 team – Somebody ranked.

As mentioned above, our 2020 non-conference slate is about as close to perfect as we will get... Ohio, Pitt, East Carolina, Boise State.
Close to perfect if you enjoy our being 2-2 with our 4 OOC. I'll be the first to predict that we lose to Pitt
and Boise. We'll have a shot at beating ECU and Ohio U. A win over Ohio in Athens is not likely to happen
for Doc. ECU has fallen into the cupcake category...more to Doc's liking.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT