ADVERTISEMENT

Petiton to HD to Fire Chuck Landon

Doesn't Chuck do a radio show with Doc and Hamrick? Not sure why everyone is so upset. What am I missing?

Doesn't Chuck do a radio show with Doc and Hamrick? Not sure why everyone is so upset. What am I missing?

no, he was removed from it. up to this year he did a show with hamrick and mike kirtner that preceded doc's call in show.

I'm not sure misreporting an injury is considered slander. But for arguments sake let's say it is... There are appropriate avenues one would take to fight slander. Banning someone because you don't like what they say is not the way to do it.

Reporting the coaches played DJ with an injury that does not even exist, to shed negative perception over Doc and the program, could easily be considered slander.

Reporting the coaches played DJ with an injury that does not even exist, to shed negative perception over Doc and the program, could easily be considered slander.
I had heard he had a back injury last Tuesday afternoon. In fact, I was surprised to see him in the game Saturday.

Reactions: herdftblfan
I had heard he had a back injury last Tuesday afternoon. In fact, I was surprised to see him in the game Saturday.

i heard a rumor too, but it was just a rumor, that wasn't confirmed. there's a difference between you and i hearing rumors and a reporter printing it in a newspaper (or via another source) as if it is a fact.

"Although it appeared Johnson was trying to play despite an ankle injury, multiple sources with knowledge of the situation say the 6-foot-1, 235-pound senior has a fractured disk in his back.

If that's true, that's a very serious injury."

Note that he said sources and "if" so it's not fair to say he reported DJ's injury as fact.

I'm not saying he should or should have not reported it, only that he did not report it as fact.

Reactions: HerdFan73
"Although it appeared Johnson was trying to play despite an ankle injury, multiple sources with knowledge of the situation say the 6-foot-1, 235-pound senior has a fractured disk in his back.

If that's true, that's a very serious injury."

Note that he said sources and "if" so it's not fair to say he reported DJ's injury as fact.

I'm not saying he should or should have not reported it, only that he did not report it as fact.

you're completely correct. i don't know if it's the way he's carried himself at times or his past as a beat reporter for our football team, but too many people take what he says, even in cases like this, as fact. just something he should be aware of and be careful about.

i honestly heard from 5-6 people who were like, 'on nos, chuck reported devon has a broken back and is out for the year!' just something he should be aware of and be careful about i guess.

you're completely correct. i don't know if it's the way he's carried himself at times or his past as a beat reporter for our football team, but too many people take what he says, even in cases like this, as fact. just something he should be aware of and be careful about.

i honestly heard from 5-6 people who were like, 'on nos, chuck reported devon has a broken back and is out for the year!' just something he should be aware of and be careful about i guess.

I don't disagree but folks also tend to read what they want to read as well. Again, I don't often agree with Chuck but I am in a position where I understand and respect his role for what it is. I see Grant Traylor as the beat writer for the Herd and Chuck Landon as an opinion columnist.

This started several years ago. I noticed it when Chuck would never say much negative about Tom H. basketball program but always slammed Dock. Lets face it Tom H. basketball was a dumpster fire (faking a heart attack/players texting during game). He has something personal with Dock since his access has been limited. People can defend him about free press but he shouldn't bring personal issues into his columns. Not professional at all. I would prefer to see him move on.

I'm pretty certain that Landon's written statements in the HD about a player's injuries are HIPPA violations. Unless he has expressed written consent it IS a violation.

His statements about transparency and the need for more discipline border on slander.

He should be dismissed. If the HD doesn't dismiss him, they should be sued by the MUADept, or actually better yet the University.

Enough is enough. Landon needs to go.

"Does HIPAA apply to the news media?

The law does not directly apply to the news media (unless a media employer acts as a health plan or healthcare provider – by offering onsite medical care, for example; or a reporter works for a publication that is covered – such as a hospital newsletter)."

The context of the article could be viewed as slander...as I said, he named an injury that does not even exist. He then went on a rant about Doc playing DJ with said injury that does not exist. He then said, because of said injury that does not exist, DJ could have been more injured than he was, hinting that Doc is forcing DJ to play against his better judgement or, at the very least, ignoring the injury...that does not exist.

In case you can't read what theme, it's a shot at Doc for playing DJ while injured, risking further injury, possibly ending DJ's career, in the heightened subject of "lack of discipline" or whatever it was.

Basically, Chuck has been making up bogus facts to back up his claims that Doc and the program are somehow lesser than they were before...because he'd rather risk whatever integrity he has left, than just accept that Doc is doing a better job, or at least, isn't as bad as advertised.

Wait a second...that...actually sounds alot like some of you on this board.

Not to mention, the themes of Landon's articles have often been, negative, towards Doc and the rest of the program. I can't recall a time when Chuck actually had something good to say about the team...possibly when Snyder was there, but that just proves Chuck is an idiot.

Finally, when Chuck has made a history of "Done Deal" without even knowing what the hell he is talking about, people tend to believe him more than he should be...and that's dangerous for anyone.

At first blush it does appear that hippa laws do NOT apply to the media. Which leads me to my next statement, if I'm a coach an AD and even the player involved and some idiot in the press is releasing information he got second hand about my health status, and the same idiot is also dogging the coach continually I'd ban him too.

Please HD do the right thing, fire Landon today!

I don't disagree but folks also tend to read what they want to read as well. Again, I don't often agree with Chuck but I am in a position where I understand and respect his role for what it is. I see Grant Traylor as the beat writer for the Herd and Chuck Landon as an opinion columnist.

This distinction seems to get past most people Mark.

I see Landon as a journalist hack, that takes direct pot shots at Coach Holliday at any expense, the teams well being, the safety of players, doesn't matter. If he can find fault with Doc and throw Marshall under the bus he will.

He's not a columnist, he's a Larry Flynt style hack.

#1 problem is that he is lazy. he does not bother to check out a story before he prints it.
a prime example is the birdsong to ohio for testing fiasco. i have absolutely no doubt that all he
had to do was pick up the phone and anyone in the athletic dept. would have been more
than happy to let him know birdsong did not go to ohio for testing. that story is ridiculous
on its face, but rather than take five minutes to make a call he writes a story that anyone
would question.

#2 he has had a burr up his ass since coach pruett left and neither of his successors have
spoon fed landon stories or set him up with a desk in the corner of the head coaches office.
he wants special treatment and the a/dept will not give it to him.

chuck is a marshall guy and i am for him basically, but he should put aside some of his
perceived personal slights and check out his stories before printing. btw doesnt anyone
over there edit his stories?

ALL THAT SAID BOGACZYK IS ONE OF THE VERY BEST SPORTSWRITERS IN AMERICA.
READ HIM - HE IS A GREAT SPORTSWRITER!!!!
http://www.herdzone.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/092915aae.html

Last edited:
Where are the editors? Surely SOMEONE at the herald dispatch has enough medical knowledge to know you can't fracture a disk. That is chucks problem. He does no research he just writes what he hears. All of this could have been avoided had chuck done his homework.

#1 problem is that he is lazy. he does not bother to check out a story before he prints it.
a prime example is the birdsong to ohio for testing fiasco. i have absolutely no doubt that all he
had to do was pick up the phone and anyone in the athletic dept. would have been more
than happy to let him know birdsong did not go to ohio for testing. that story is ridiculous
on its face, but rather than take five minutes to make a call he writes a story that anyone
would question.

You'd be wrong. The Marshall staff can not disclose any medical treatment they can't confirm nor deny anything. That would be a hipaa violation

well, then he could have asked birdsong himself. he sees him every day.
the point is he is lazy and does not check things out.

OL' mullet needs to find another profession! He was kicked to the curb by Doc and now he retaliates.

What none of you guys seem to realize is that Chuck did his job... Everyone is talking about him and the HD. Tomorrow or the next day when his next garbage comes out you all are going to read it because you need a reason to be fired up about something... He's like the heal in a WWE match and this board is the guys in the front row who buy $150 tickets just to boo him.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT