ADVERTISEMENT

Petiton to HD to Fire Chuck Landon

muthunder627

Silver Buffalo
Nov 25, 2009
Folks Landon needs to go!! Need to contact the HD editor and let him know that his so called journalism is a personal vendetta against Marshall Football. He has absolutely no creditability ! Contact Ed Dawson Editor at 304-526-2787

Pretty sure he's doing exactly what they pay him to do. Stir shit up and make you talk about/read the HD.

He's still a joke though.

He has always been a clown and I have cancelled my subscription to the Disgrace! He needs to be accountable IMO he has a personal vendetta against Holliday and the program.

He has always been a clown and I have cancelled my subscription to the Disgrace! He needs to be accountable IMO he has a personal vendetta against Holliday and the program.
I don't know what his deal is with Doc, never passes on any opportunity to slam him. But he was silent as a church mouse during Herrion time when it was painfully obvious the program had become a dumpster fire!

Reactions: muthunder627
Holliday does not allow him to run the show like he did in the past--Herrion on the other hand needed all the support he could garner.

Folks Landon needs to go!! Need to contact the HD editor and let him know that his so called journalism is a personal vendetta against Marshall Football. He has absolutely no creditability ! Contact Ed Dawson Editor at 304-526-2787

You sound like my dear departed uncle who ranted about Ernie Salvatore and referred to him as "old boar nose". When Ernie turned on you it was trouble, those were the days of high newspaper industry circulation and guys like Ernie were the equal of present day tv talking heads.

Mullethead is no Ernie Salvatore Ernie was a trained journalists and backed his stories with facts. Landon has no clout!

You sound like my dear departed uncle who ranted about Ernie Salvatore and referred to him as "old boar nose". When Ernie turned on you it was trouble, those were the days of high newspaper industry circulation and guys like Ernie were the equal of present day tv talking heads.

Haha, thats the truth. Bob Daniels got on Ernie's bad side and that spelled the end for him. Well that and the fact he was a terrible coach, but Ernie was relentless on him.

Haha, thats the truth. Bob Daniels got on Ernie's bad side and that spelled the end for him. Well that and the fact he was a terrible coach, but Ernie was relentless on him.

Coach Bob Daniels. He came to MU with a pretty good rep. Had won a Div. 2 championship or two at Kentucky Wesleyan. He was a native of Horse Cave, Kentucky, and when he talked it sounded like you would expect how people talked in Horse Cave, KY!!!

Reactions: imherdfan
I think this may be worse than firing him.

Doc and the AD basically have barred him from having any real contact with the team, he's only allowed at the games but can't speak to anyone (I say this because what are the players going to say to him? Especially when their guy, DJ, was completely misreported...and likely Doc told them all he's not worth their time), go to practices, and nobody on the staff is speaking to him.

He was also publicly (while not directly) referenced in Doc's presser in a rather awesome bit of fact checking, rumor denying, and overall ability-bashing fashion.

You're essentially taking someone with little to no credibility, making it known that whatever information he's getting is no longer going to go through to him, and then letting him go around and writing even bigger crap journalism.

Plus, with this rather bad black eye making it even more difficult for the public to really trust or be interested in him.

I'm no Landon fan but let me play devils advocate. What if say in a week or two it comes out that dj has a ruptured disk and is out for the year? This looks very petty to me and has the potential to back fire. And the I told you so articles from chuck would be to much to handle

Mullethead is no Ernie Salvatore Ernie was a trained journalists and backed his stories with facts. Landon has no clout!

By the time I got to school (late 80s) Ernie was writing articles that were incredibly similar to what Chuck writes today.

He hammered on one of our QBs (Gregg Supsura) in 1990 (who would eventually give way full time to Mike Payton). Supie had one good game though and Ernie wanted to come interview him in the locker room. He was incensed when Supie wouldn't give an interview because Ernie had been dogging him for weeks.

So why in the world is there a Thursday evening radio call-in program with both MH and Chuck! Go figure.

Doc and Mike can't ban Chuck from attending events open to press. There are laws that forbid that. Freedom of press and the Information Act are meant for a reason. I don't always agree with Chuck... But censorship is never a good thing.

Reactions: herdftblfan
Chuckie better be careful........Reporting medical procedures that players are undergoing without their consent to report it , borders on a violation of privacy.

Chuckie better be careful........Reporting medical procedures that players are undergoing without their consent to report it , borders on a violation of privacy.

Doc and Mike can't ban Chuck from attending events open to press. There are laws that forbid that. Freedom of press and the Information Act are meant for a reason. I don't always agree with Chuck... But censorship is never a good thing.

i think you need to read up on what rights freedom of the press actually grants.

Unless Chuck is their physician, works for their physician or has a professional business relationship with their physician, that's a non-issue. He is none of those things.

Freedom of the press does not include writing what one could say is downright slander.

As a journalist I can attest that one of the things the Freedom of the Press does is prevent government meetings from being held in secrecy from the press.. Not college football practices, so Doc and Hammrick can ban whoever they want from them.

And writing false things about someone is actually libel.. Slander is the spoken word if we want to be technical here.

Freedom of the press does not include writing what one could say is downright slander.

I'm not sure misreporting an injury is considered slander. But for arguments sake let's say it is... There are appropriate avenues one would take to fight slander. Banning someone because you don't like what they say is not the way to do it.

I'm not sure misreporting an injury is considered slander. But for arguments sake let's say it is... There are appropriate avenues one would take to fight slander. Banning someone because you don't like what they say is not the way to do it.
Well said Mr. Landon.

If those practices are open to press Chuck Landon has every right to be there.

the only people that have a right to be at the practice are those people that are credentialed/permitted by marshall to be there. marshall is not under any obligation to credential anyone, they're free to decide who to permit and who to not permit. that's not remotely what the freedom of press is about.

As a journalist I can attest that one of the things the Freedom of the Press does is prevent government meetings from being held in secrecy from the press.. Not college football practices, so Doc and Hammrick can ban whoever they want from them.

And writing false things about someone is actually libel.. Slander is the spoken word if we want to be technical here.

While this is correct, I would be concerned about the political fallout of banning a single journalist. Many folks will take issue with this; especially if we don't see DJ return to the field soon.

Aren't there HIPPA issues with calling out injuries?

not for chuck, but marshall can't release injury information without the player's permission (if over 18) or his parents/guardian's permission (if under 18).

I'm not crazy about Doc's unnecessarily opaque approach to disclosure, but I can't imagine there is going to be any fallout from this at all - its just another example of Landon running something (and the HD publishing it) without verification. He has long since burned up his credibility, and is on the verge of extinguishing the last shreds of goodwill he had in the community.

That said, people calling for his termination are wasting their time. There's a reason he works in Huntington and not Charleston.

While this is correct, I would be concerned about the political fallout of banning a single journalist. Many folks will take issue with this; especially if we don't see DJ return to the field soon.

Now I don't disagree at all with you there.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT