ADVERTISEMENT

Mock OC Hot Board

Silver Buffalo
Gold Member
Jan 30, 2019
I’m bored at the airport, so here’s this
Huff needs to be told he can let Trickett go himself or he can walk out the door with him. I claim to have 0 knowledge of any inner workings as to what will happen or any potential candidates, this list is just for fun because I’m bored. With that said:

Dream Candidates (aka likely unrealistic)

Tom Herman (9 Years as OC, 6 Years as HC)

Bryan Harsin (7 Years as OC, 9.5 years as HC)

Candidates I’d Be Excited For, But Likely Won’t Happen:

Andrew Sowder (Kent State OC, Three straight top 40 offenses, including two top 5 offenses in the span, I almost put Sowder in the realistic candidates, however, he took a huge pay cut to leave SJSU to rejoin Sean Lewis at Kent, so I find it unlikely a pay raise would entice him to leave)

Ernie McCook (30-8 Record as Shepherd HC, this is unlikely because he’s been at Sheperd for 18 years now, and likely will follow suit with his predecessor and stay there until he retires)

David Cutcliffe (121-126 record as HC, 7 years as an OC, unlikely because he turned down coaching opportunities to accept a job with the SEC, but has said he “still feels the coaching itch” and being an OC would satisfy that itch while still not being too stressful)

Realistic Candidates - to qualify as “realistic” the candidate must either be receiving a promotion or pay raise and most candidates here will have a connection to Marshall or someone on staff because that’s seems like a likely outcome)

Kevin Decker (Fordham OC, has Top 20 scoring offenses 3 years in a row coming into this year and has the #1 scoring offense this year)

Bill Legg (this would be a mistake but hey, welcome to Marshall, he’s already on the staff, and it *sadly* wouldn’t be surprising to see him promote from within again, just like with Trickett)

Herb Hand (Worked With Huff at Vandy and Penn State, has previous OC experience, current UCF OL Coach)

John Donovan (Worked with Huff at PSU and Vandy, Current Senior Analyst at Green Bay, 7 years as an OC, including leading Washington to 30.2 PPG with just 3 turnovers in 2020, albeit in 4 games, however he was let go with the rest of the staff following the 2021 season)

Ty Howle (TE Coach @ Penn State, tied to Huff via Franklin, was listed in 247’s 30under30 rising coaches in 2021, called plays at Western Illinois in 2018 as a Co-OC and they ranked 21st in passing offense that year)

Candidate Update:
Added 11/6/22 - Jeff Scott (Former USF Head Coach, Former Clemson Co-OC, split play calling duties with Tony Elliot, but he still at least has called plays) Scott has no connections to Huff or the staff that I’ve seen so far, however, he’s recently fired and could be looking to just throw his hat in the ring, and us offering an OC position is better than “Senior Offensive Analyst” at a P5 school imo.

If you have any other candidates or comments please feel free to add them below.

Last edited:
Reactions: raleighherdfan
Bill Legg? Seriously. How many times of hiring this guy would satisfy you? Agree with your other candidates.
It would not satisfy me whatsoever, I just have a worrying feeling he will somehow end up the job simply because he’s already here and they can pump sunshine into his offenses before they got stale

Reactions: ThunderCat98
It would not satisfy me whatsoever, I just have a worrying feeling he will somehow end up the job simply because he’s already here and they can pump sunshine into his offenses before they got stale
Bill legg already sits in the booth right next to Trick Daddy during games… he’s not helping and has proven to be a horrible OC for us before… Huff needs to make a change and make it quickly.. Lazy move promoting Trick Daddy to OC….

the currecnt HC will not be forced to do anything regarding the OC.
excited ralph wiggum GIF

I can't even imagine how great this forum would be after games if you know who was the OC.

Have to think that action would be greater than the game itself.
You’re not saying Legg is Tricketts secret puppet master and has been calling plays this whole time….. are you?

Reactions: ThunderStruck1992
I’m bored at the airport, so here’s this
Huff needs to be told he can let Trickett go himself or he can walk out the door with him. I claim to have 0 knowledge of any inner workings as to what will happen or any potential candidates, this list is just for fun because I’m bored. With that said:

Dream Candidates (aka likely unrealistic)

Tom Herman (9 Years as OC, 6 Years as HC)

Bryan Harsin (7 Years as OC, 9.5 years as HC)

Candidates I’d Be Excited For, But Likely Won’t Happen:

Andrew Sowder (Kent State OC, Three straight top 40 offenses, including two top 5 offenses in the span, I almost put Sowder in the realistic candidates, however, he took a huge pay cut to leave SJSU to rejoin Sean Lewis at Kent, so I find it unlikely a pay raise would entice him to leave)

Ernie McCook (30-8 Record as Shepherd HC, this is unlikely because he’s been at Sheperd for 18 years now, and likely will follow suit with his predecessor and stay there until he retires)

David Cutcliffe (121-126 record as HC, 7 years as an OC, unlikely because he turned down coaching opportunities to accept a job with the SEC, but has said he “still feels the coaching itch” and being an OC would satisfy that itch while still not being too stressful)

Realistic Candidates - to qualify as “realistic” the candidate must either be receiving a promotion or pay raise and most candidates here will have a connection to Marshall or someone on staff because that’s seems like a likely outcome)

Kevin Decker (Fordham OC, has Top 20 scoring offenses 3 years in a row coming into this year and has the #1 scoring offense this year)

Bill Legg (this would be a mistake but hey, welcome to Marshall, he’s already on the staff, and it *sadly* wouldn’t be surprising to see him promote from within again, just like with Trickett)

Herb Hand (Worked With Huff at Vandy and Penn State, has previous OC experience, current UCF OL Coach)

John Donovan (Worked with Huff at PSU and Vandy, Current Senior Analyst at Green Bay, 7 years as an OC, including leading Washington to 30.2 PPG with just 3 turnovers in 2020, albeit in 4 games, however he was let go with the rest of the staff following the 2021 season)

Ty Howle (TE Coach @ Penn State, tied to Huff via Franklin, was listed in 247’s 30under30 rising coaches in 2021, called plays at Western Illinois in 2018 as a Co-OC and they ranked 21st in passing offense that year)

If you have any other candidates or comments please feel free to add them below.
In my opinion no one who has worked with Huff before will come to him at Marshall. Or anywhere.

Reactions: 120050143
Mack Leftwich, OC/QB coach Incarnate Word. First, got to love the last name. He was a QB at UTEP from 2013-15. Drawback is he has always been in Texas, but he does know Texas HS football and could get us some inroads. UIW averages about 600 ypg and has scored 58 TDs in 9 games. Convert 52% of their 3rd downs and 70% of 4th downs.

He is young, but was the youngest OC in Texas HS ball a few years ago and is an FCS OC before his 30th birthday. Bright future.

I can't even imagine how great this forum would be after games if you know who was the OC.

Have to think that action would be greater than the game itself.
There definitely would be a lot of "shots" fired, for sure, for sure! :D

Since the Notre Dame game with staff changes and Legg moved to OL coach he’s been on sidelines. First 2 games he was upstairs
He is the right hand man to Trickett as a TE position coach in the OC booth for a blowout win first game then a historical Win at Notre Dame, then OL coach quits Bill picks up the responsibilities of TE/OL.

Then he goes onto the field for the remainder of the season as TE/OL coach???

for God sakes put him back in the booth… !!!!!!!! !!!!!!!

But I still think your information is off a bit….

Rumor is Tony Peterson from Illinois State & former Marshall QB
If we are going to recycle another coach (for the third time in his case) he would be an okay option.

It seems like whenever we have an opening we immediately hit the former MU player/assistant coach rolodex. There have to be guys that want to call plays who haven't already been here.

Mack Leftwich, OC/QB coach Incarnate Word. First, got to love the last name. He was a QB at UTEP from 2013-15. Drawback is he has always been in Texas, but he does know Texas HS football and could get us some inroads. UIW averages about 600 ypg and has scored 58 TDs in 9 games. Convert 52% of their 3rd downs and 70% of 4th downs.

He is young, but was the youngest OC in Texas HS ball a few years ago and is an FCS OC before his 30th birthday. Bright future.
Just to Pat myself on the back, Texas State followed my advice and hired this guy. They ended the season 10th in total offense in the country after finishing 112th last year. They won 7 games after averaging less than 3 wins per year over the last 7 years.

Just to Pat myself on the back, Texas State followed my advice and hired this guy. They ended the season 10th in total offense in the country after finishing 112th last year. They won 7 games after averaging less than 3 wins per year over the last 7 years.
Not really. Texas State’s HC was the HC at Incarnate. He just brought his old staff with him.

And that’s GJ’s offense far more than it is Mack’s. I recruited GJ’s half-brother years ago when he was transferring. I offered GJ a position as a player on an Australian team I was running in 2015.

Rifle, aka Ryan Kobbe for those not in the know……
Mods, do you thing.

Not really. Texas State’s HC was the HC at Incarnate. He just brought his old staff with him.

And that’s GJ’s offense far more than it is Mack’s. I recruited GJ’s half-brother years ago when he was transferring. I offered GJ a position as a player on an Australian team I was running in 2015.

Mods, do you thing.
*yore

We don't need Legg around any longer. He hasn't done much of anything at any of the positions he has held. I feel the same about Tricky. He needs to go. Tired of seeing the USPAM connection as if they are world beaters. Hell they are mid major trying to act like the big boys.

Reactions: herdinmichigan
They did put up some points. 52 vs South Alabama.
I still can't believe Arkansas State put up 77 on them.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT